The Voice Spring 2016

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
PS to my post - someone should have brought back Mike Schavo (guy from a carnival family). Probably Adam, who wasted his bring-back with Nate. I thought he was unfairly matched with Caroline in the battle round with the song I Want to Love You Like I'm Going To Lose You. He had to hold back in order to not be creepy with a little girl but I loved his blind audition.

shan

He chose Paxton?? Really? Wow... I like him, but I didn't think he was all that great.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I caught up with this on a web report and I'm confused. Emily? Really? And is Daniel the music student who looks sort of snotty?

Allskate

He chose Paxton?? Really? Wow... I like him, but I didn't think he was all that great.

I feel badly for Joe, who I thought performed better than the rest who did not go through on votes, and definitely sold more than Paxton. Joe can commiserate with Katie, who outsold Mary. I'm sure Blake knew that Paxton was the only one on his team not to chart on Itunes. So, I think Blake just wants to lose his fodder quickly and have more time to do something else. I'm guessing Paxton will go home next week along with Emily.

But the Emily save did make sense given that she was the next highest from Team Pharrell on the ITunes chart. I'm fine with this choice, especially since I didn't really like anyone else on his team.

Owen actually charted higher than Laith. I'm sure Adam knew that. I was surprised to see Laith get through on votes. Not because Owen charted higher -- ITunes downloads don't make a lot of difference unless they are in the top ten - but because I just didn't think Laith would get so many votes. I'm really happy that Owen went through. I hope he sticks around for awhile. He outsold everyone on Team Pharrell. I'm very happy with Team Adam.

I'm glad that Xtina chose Bryan. Again, this made sense since Bryan sold almost as much as Nick and sang really well. Nick is a cute dad with a sympathetic backstory. I predict I'll be annoyed by how long he sticks around.

someone should have brought back Mike Schavo (guy from a carnival family

I totally agree. I would have preferred Mike to all four of the ones invited back.

shan

I caught up with this on a web report and I'm confused. Emily? Really? And is Daniel the music student who looks sort of snotty?

Yeah, I don't get Emily either. I find her so bland and forgettable.

I was pleased that Laith made it through based on votes and I'm glad Owen was chosen.

LeafOnTheWind

I feel badly for Joe, who I thought performed better than the rest who did not go through on votes, and definitely sold more than Paxton. Joe can commiserate with Katie, who outsold Mary. I'm sure Blake knew that Paxton was the only one on his team not to chart on Itunes. So, I think Blake just wants to lose his fodder quickly and have more time to do something else. I'm guessing Paxton will go home next week along with Emily.

I agree. It's the only way the Paxton save makes sense. Caity was the only artist that ranked lower in iTune sales and Moushumi tied him (both from Team Pharrell). All of the other artists in the show sold more. The rest of the coaches basically followed iTunes sales.

moebius

Judging by Adam's reaction, it seems that he was not expecting Owen to not make it through votes. He also was not expecting Laith to make it through votes. I bet if Owen made it through votes, he would've saved Caroline.

Hoping Owen for the win. But it looks like Alisan is the front runner. They could be the final two.

Allskate

Judging by Adam's reaction, it seems that he was not expecting Owen to not make it through votes. He also was not expecting Laith to make it through votes. I bet if Owen made it through votes, he would've saved Caroline.

ITA. He even said "I didn't expect" before he stopped himself. Based on ITunes sales, Laith was not in the top two. Owen was. It was surprising to see Laith go through on votes. But Laith is friends with Joshua Davis and I wouldn't be surprised if he learned early how to mobilize votes, especially from the Michigan music community. Personally, I prefer Laith to Caroline, so I'm happy. This was the Team Adam that I wanted.

taf2002

I agree. It's the only way the Paxton save makes sense. Caity was the only artist that ranked lower in iTune sales and Moushumi tied him (both from Team Pharrell). All of the other artists in the show sold more. The rest of the coaches basically followed iTunes sales.

Someone posted on another board that Blake is always loyal to his original team members & it's true. Justin was his bring-back & Joe & Katie were steals. So Paxton makes sense. I also get the feeling that he really likes Paxton & thinks he's special.

ITA. He even said "I didn't expect" before he stopped himself. Based on ITunes sales, Laith was not in the top two. Owen was. It was surprising to see Laith go through on votes. But Laith is friends with Joshua Davis and I wouldn't be surprised if he learned early how to mobilize votes, especially from the Michigan music community. Personally, I prefer Laith to Caroline, so I'm happy. This was the Team Adam that I wanted.

I prefer Laith to -I voted for him & Shalyah, so I was happy. I would have liked Owen to get thru on votes but I love Adam's team. Now if he just doesn't pick horrible songs...

If the coaches didn't want their bring-back picks to knock out their team members they should have brought back fodder like Blake & Adam did. You'd think by now Christina & Pharrell would know how to play the game but apparently not. But I like the fact that Nick & Daniel are in the top 12. I voted for both of them & I believe they make their respective teams stronger. At least Kata is gone - if Alisan & Bryan had gone thru on votes I believe Christina would have picked Kata - ugh!

To recap:

TEAM PHARRELL
Saved by America: Hannah Huston, Daniel Passino
Saved by Pharrell: Emily Keener
Eliminated: Lacy Mandigo, Moushumi, Caity Peters

TEAM BLAKE
Saved by America: Adam Wakefield, Mary Sarah
Saved by Blake: Paxton Ingram
Eliminated: Katie Basden, Joe Maye, Justin Whisnant

TEAM CHRISTINA
Saved by America: Alisan Porter, Nick Hagelin
Saved by Xtina: Bryan Bautista
Eliminated: Ryan Quinn, Kata Hay, Tamar Davis

TEAM ADAM
Saved by America: Shalyah Fearing, Laith Al-Saadi
Saved by Adam: Owen Danoff
Eliminated: Caroline Burns, Brian Nhira, Nate Butler

moebius

PS to my post - someone should have brought back Mike Schavo (guy from a carnival family). Probably Adam, who wasted his bring-back with Nate. I thought he was unfairly matched with Caroline in the battle round with the song I Want to Love You Like I'm Going To Lose You. He had to hold back in order to not be creepy with a little girl but I loved his blind audition.
I don't think Mike was from a carnival family. I think that was Joe Vivona, who I think has a better voice than any of the top 12 males. Too bad, he has confidence issues.

Allskate

I believe that Laith is a wonderful guitarist; and, a less gifted singer.

He may be better at guitar than singing, but I still thought he sang better than at least half of the contestants this week, including a number of the people in the top 12. IMO, he was just as good or better than Caroline, Brian, and Nate, so he deserves his spot on Team Adam.

If the coaches didn't want their bring-back picks to knock out their team members they should have brought back fodder like Blake & Adam did. You'd think by now Christina & Pharrell would know how to play the game but apparently not.

I didn't get the impression that Pharrell was unhappy. He had a really weak team. Daniel is nothing special and would have been fodder on another team, but it's not like he's a lot weaker than the other five who sang for Team Pharrell this week.

I think Xtina probably was unhappy about Nick making the team. But she's a singer's singer and probably thought that Nick really was fodder given how he had been singing. She foolishly thought that "The Voice" was just about the voice and underestimated how much some voters like cute guys with sob stories and cute kids. And she probably overestimated how well Tamar would sing.

Last edited:

Rob

Beach Bum
I went to the ballet last night with a friend who was wearing a "Team Owen" plastic bracelet. Turns out that Owen was best friends in school with her godson who grew up down the street from her -- Owen spent a lot of time at her house in his childhood, and she said he's always been the nicest kid, and always creative.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
With Lacey, Kata and Tamar gone, Shalyah is the one remaining Big Voice Girl, which bodes well for her. I like her a lot, actually, and think she's much more mature than the average 16 year old singer.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Owen Danoff reminds me of gifted musicians we used to go see at the DC area clubs (Birchmere, Cellar Door, etc). In between the national acts (like Rosanne Cash, John Prine or Vince Gill), we would see some local musicians like Eva Cassidy or Mary Chapin Carpenter who would shine like diamonds. Their performances were so memorable we would talk about them for weeks. I hope I have a ticket when Owen plays Wolf Trap. :)

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Owen Danoff reminds me of when we used to go to the DC area clubs (Birchmere, Cellar Door, etc) to hear music. In between all the national acts we would see some local musicians like Eva Cassidy or Mary Chapin Carpenter who would shine like diamonds. Their performances were so memorable we would talk about them for weeks.
My then to be SIL and I would do the same in Boston. The guys in J Geils knew who we were due to a connection to one of my SIL's friends so we were able to talk our way into most places without paying the cover.

taf2002

My top 12 review:
Mary Sarah - So Small - she's no Carrie Underwood but this wasn't as nasel as usual, I gave it an ok
Laith - Born on a Bad Sign - this was excellent, very bluesy & great guitar playing as usual
Daniel - Human Nature - pretty bland except for the times he tried to be sexy
Emily - Lilac Wine - this was the kind of performance I call artsy fartsy, not my cup of tea, she had a bad voice break too
Nick - Mine Would Be You - dedicated to his wife, this is a Blake S song but he changed it up & didn't sound country, it was nice
Adam - Soulshine - the show started here, I'm going to buy this, he was fantastic
Bryan - Kiss From a Rose - the sound quality was strange, not his fault but he sang this exactly like Seal which was disappointing
Owen - 7 Years - I dislike this song so didn't enjoy his performance, it was ok
Alisan - Stone Cold - perfect as usual, beautiful, I'm buying this too
Paxton - Hands to Myself - he sounded better than last week, I think he'll get thru on his own
Hannah - Something's Got a Hold on Me - she did Etta James proud, this was great
Shalyah - Up to the Mountain - this was pretty shoutey, there wasn't any varience, she was at 10 for the whole song

Predictions:
In the top 10 on iTunes will be Adam, Alisan, & Hannah
Top 11 - 20 will be Shalyah & Laith
Bottom 3 - Emily, Bryan, Owen

Allskate

From best to last . . .

I thought the best tonight were Alisan, Leith, and Adam.

You could tell that Alisan really identified with those lyrics. I don't usually like the over the top belting that just seems like vocal gymnastics, but this seemed like really authentic emotion to me.

I continue to really like Leith, including his singing, not just his guitar playing.
Adam had one of his best performances so far. Combining gospel, country, and rock and being on Team Blake? He has got to be raking in the votes on this show.

Hannah did much better than last week IMO and was better than the majority tonight.

I wish Adam would stop telling his singers just to belt. I think he needs to have Shalyah do some contemporary R&B and pop and not just the over the top belting. I don't think she's going to win, and she needs to show what she could do if someone took the risk and gave her an album deal. She doesn't have the ability to go out on the road on her own because she's not a musician or writer. And, oh yeah, did you know that she's only sixteen?

Owen has been my favorite, but I didn't think this was a great song choice. It didn't do a lot for his voice. It wasn't bad, but not my favorite. Noted to Adam: let Owen play his guitar or bass. People like that and Owen is comfortable doing that.

I thought Mary Sarah, Emily, and Nick were were better than last week, but still not great.

IMO, this was a bad song choice for Bryan and his weakest performance.

Daniel was weak, with a particularly painful ending to the song. Paxton was just as bad. These would be my bottom two. (taf, you left both of these guys out of your predictions. I guess they really were forgettable. :lol: )

moebius

Looks like Xtina will win this season so far with Alisan being the frontrunner. I was hoping Owen will do well this week, but that song didn't do him justice. Hoping that Emily would be gone, but it looks like she's here to stay for another week.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Who is on itunes ranking this week ? :)

Ok wow. Team Blake leads. With Alisan in second.

Owen is far below :(

Susan1

Alisan was incredible. I've already bought that song.

I flipped back and forth during DWTS. Is that the same girl I wrote way back that I was "flipping back and forth" and saw her at the end of the show and she should win. NOT jinxing anybody, but Wow!!!

taf2002

Daniel was weak, with a particularly painful ending to the song. Paxton was just as bad. These would be my bottom two. (taf, you left both of these guys out of your predictions. I guess they really were forgettable. :lol: )

You're more spot on than I. Here's iTunes top 100:

8 Adam
9 Alisan
27 Emily
41 Hannah
43 Nick
45 Shalyah
46 Laith
49 Owen
71 Bryan
82 Daniel
88 Mary
Paxton didn't chart

I predicted Emily, Bryan, & Paxton to be bottom 3. Looks like Emily is a fav for a lot of people so I was way off. I guess my dislike of her type of music is affecting my ranking. Looks like bye bye Paxton.

Last edited:

flyingsit

Maybe my ears were broken last night... I thought Emily was off-key for about 70% of the song and was thinking, wow what a trainwreck, and then all four judges were standing?

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Adam had done nothing for me before last night but I liked that performance. I actually liked Emily's Lilac Wine, it was a good song choice for her and I still think she'll be bottom three. Hannah, Alisan, Adam and Shalyah should be fine in the voting.

Daniel annoys me and I wish Mary Sarah had better song choices.

ETA that judging by the ITunes list others liked Emily, too. I hope they did what I did and buy Nina Simone's version of the song. :lol:

Rob

Beach Bum
My least favorite were Emily, Daniel, Mary Sarah in no particular order. I liked the rest, but didn't like Owen's song choice.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
I didn't much care for Owen's song choice either or how he delivered it. It seemed like he was influenced the wrong way to be someone he is not. I don't really like the Billy Joel song he sang during the first weeks, but at least he did a decent cover of it. Hang in for one more week Owen!

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Owen vs Emily for the save. Sigh. I can't remember one note Nick has sung, but there's always some bland white guy who seems totally nondescript to me who gets by. Or more than one.

ETA geez was Emily off tune!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information