Missing Pairs at the Olympics since 1984

olympic

So, I can't help myself.

There were obviously Pairs missing from Olympic competition for a variety of reasons, and wanted your take on the impact of their absence -

1984 - Pestova / Leonovich

They were just bumped from the Olympic podium at Lake Placid 1980, took bronze at the post-Olympic World Championships, then solid silver medalists / top-finishing Soviet pair at the 1982 Worlds in Copenhagen, but finally sliding down to 6th at 1983 Worlds. In Sarajevo, the #3 USSR pair was Avstriyskaya / Kvashnin. So, I wonder what happened to keep them off the team.

1988 - Coull / Rowsom

They broke up a Soviet sweep of the podium at 1986 Worlds, winning the Bronze medals, and they were solidly #2 CAN pair in 1985 and 1987 at Worlds, always a pretty solid top 10 team going way back. Were they just lost in the muddle of Benning / Johnston, Brasseur / Eisler, Hough / Ladret in 1988, and failed to make the CAN team for Calgary?

1992 - Yamaguchi / Galindo , Landry / Johnston, Selezneva / Makarov

Well, the 1st pair is obvious: KY left pairs and pursued singles, although I always wonder in an alternate universe where KY had the strength to do both disciplines, if Y/G could have medalled in Albertville if you consider the mistakes by Brasseur / Eisler in 3rd place.

Landry / Johnston were solid silver medallists to Gordeyeva / Grinkov (whom I don't bother to throw into the mix because they married and Katya had a baby). I see L/J slid down the ranks from 2nd to 9th at 1990 Worlds. Did their career just fizzle?

Selezneva / Makarov completed a Soviet sweep at 1988 Worlds, disappeared from Worlds in 1989, then came back to finish 4th in 1990. I see by 1991, the USSR had Mishkutenok / Dmitriev solidly #1, with Bechke / Petrov having a much stronger presence, and Shishkova / Naumov appearing on the big stage as #5. maybe S/M just didn't have what it took anymore?

1994 - Wotzel / Steuer, Urbanski / Marval

Wotzel / Steuer WD at Lillehammer in 1994. Isn't this the LP where she was channeling Sharon Stone, and fell on her neck during a lift and had to stop? I don't think they were a legitimate medal threat, when you consider the returning RUS champions, and great skates from Brasseur / Eisler, although they beat Shishkova / Naumov at 1993 Worlds, who at the Olympics I think only lost 5-4 split to the Canadians. Maybe they would've been ultimately finished in front of Meno / Sand?

Didn't Urbanski / Marval split before Lillehammer?

1998 - Shishkova / Naumov , Kovarcikova / Novotny

Shishkova / Naumov won 1994 Worlds, then silver at 95 Worlds, behind Kovarcikova / Novotny, 1995 World Champs. S/M were in medal contention in 1996 but just slipped off the podium, losing the bronze to Meno / Sand. Neither S/N or K/N was at Nagano 1998. I wouldn't call Eltsova / Bushkov a dominating team, and Kazakova / Dmitriev and Berezhnaya / Sikharulidze were new RUS teams. It seems there could have been an opening for S/N to make the team for Nagano.

I do seem to recall that Kovarcikova / Novotny intended to retire after winning in 1995. I think Rene's age (31?) was cited (?)

2002 - Abitbol / Bernardis , Sargent-Wirtz / Wirtz

French team won bronze at 2000 Worlds and was attempting the throw 3A. I see that they WD from 2001 Worlds after finishing 7th in the SP. What happened to them? They may have made the muddle behind the medalists a more fascinating competition. They did return in 2003 with a not-so-great result

The Wirtzes were 8th at 2001 Worlds, but didn't make the team (?). Their finish in 2001 was higher than the CAN pairs who competed at SLC (?)

2006 - I don't see any prominent teams who missed Torino, although Langlois / Archetto were a top performing CAN team in the interim years leading up to the Olympics, finishing 5th and 8th at 2003 and 2004 World respectively, but they did not make the team for Torino.

2010 - McLaughlin / Brubaker, Duhamel / Buntin

There weren't any top medal threats missing from Vancouver that I can see, but M/B deserve a mention. They just seemed to go downhill quite quickly in 2009, but I assume that if they were somehow capable of showing that fire from 2008, they may have been in the penultimate group and been the best possible competitors from the USA

Did Duhamel / Buntin not compete at Vancouver? They finished 6th at 2008 Worlds / 8th at 2009 Worlds. I realize that she teamed up with Radford just after Vancouver sometime, but interesting that they didn't stick it out for an Olympics together ....

2014 - Takahashi / Tran , Scimeca / Knierim, Denney / Coughlin

What exactly happened to the 2012 Worlds Bronze medalists that they did not compete in Sochi?

I think the US probably may have been better represented by S/K and / or D/C. A lot of baggage comes up when discussing John Coughlin, so I don't even know whether to bring that up. S/K had just formed in 2012 and I think they may have been able to outperform Castelli / Shnapir and definitely Zhang / Bartholomay. D/C didn't make mistakes but were criticized for a lack of presentation.

2018 - Volosozhar / Trankov , Stolbova / Klimov

The 2014 Olympic champs and silver medalists both continued beyond Sochi to 2016 and 2017 respectively, so what affected their decision to not continue to 2018. It appears they were slipping a bit in the ranks, but RUS did not exactly have an incredible replacement in Tarasova / Morozov. Come to think of it, I seem to recall a lot of drama re a split between Stolbova / Klimov, but still fascinated that V/T didn't continue.

2022 - No one

Zabiako / Enbert
did not make the cut for Beijing, but I think it's pretty obvious that they were outclassed by the RUS teams representing there, and Morgan / Cipres had a good 5th place finish at 2019 Worlds. They were missing for obvious reasons, and I won't go into that ...

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Valerie Fourneyron banned Stolbiva from 2018 Olympics for reasons that remain a mystery!

Duhamel and Buntin came in third at Canadian nationals and were given no special treatment. Wonder why! Lol

denney/coughlin kept out of Olympics by Less than half a point. .29

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Zabiiako/Enbert retired before 2022 - he had a heart condition that caused them to retire sometime in 2020 following their World bronze.

It's James/Cipres - don't give him more attention ;)

Stolbova/Klimov skated the entire 2018 season, but if you recall, she was on the list of athletes not invited to compete at the Olympics, and then they withdrew from Worlds.

Takahashi and Tran didn't compete because of his citizenship issues.

You forgot Inoue/Baldwin in 2010, who attempted a comeback and landed a throw 3A in the free skate at Nationals. It was clear they were written off by Hamilton, though, as he exclaimed 'nope' before the jump even hit the ice.

Langlois/Archetto split in 2005. IIRC, there was a lot of tension with them and she was yelling at him during one of the practices (or maybe more) at Nationals that year.

Abitbol ruptured her achilles, hence why they withdrew from SLC. They had just skated so well at Euros prior to that with the Addams Family program.

The Wirtzes had a child in 2002 and attempted to come back in the 2003 season, but withdrew from Nationals after the short.

And yes, Wotzel fell during the spiral movement in their LP at Lillehammer and caused their withdrawal.

Former Lurve Goddess

1988 - Coull / Rowsom

They broke up a Soviet sweep of the podium at 1986 Worlds, winning the Bronze medals, and they were solidly #2 CAN pair in 1985 and 1987 at Worlds, always a pretty solid top 10 team going way back. Were they just lost in the muddle of Benning / Johnston, Brasseur / Eisler, Hough / Ladret in 1988, and failed to make the CAN team for Calgary?
I vaguely remember that Rowsom had some sort of career-ending injury.

olympic

Zabiiako/Enbert retired before 2022 - he had a heart condition that caused them to retire sometime in 2020 following their World bronze.

It's James/Cipres - don't give him more attention ;)

Stolbova/Klimov skated the entire 2018 season, but if you recall, she was on the list of athletes not invited to compete at the Olympics, and then they withdrew from Worlds.

Takahashi and Tran didn't compete because of his citizenship issues.

You forgot Inoue/Baldwin in 2010, who attempted a comeback and landed a throw 3A in the free skate at Nationals. It was clear they were written off by Hamilton, though, as he exclaimed 'nope' before the jump even hit the ice.

Langlois/Archetto split in 2005. IIRC, there was a lot of tension with them and she was yelling at him during one of the practices (or maybe more) at Nationals that year.

Abitbol ruptured her achilles, hence why they withdrew from SLC. They had just skated so well at Euros prior to that with the Addams Family program.

The Wirtzes had a child in 2002 and attempted to come back in the 2003 season, but withdrew from Nationals after the short.

And yes, Wotzel fell during the spiral movement in their LP at Lillehammer and caused their withdrawal.
Thanks. Why was Stolbova NOT invited to compete in 2018? Would she and Klimov have stayed together? I thought that there was major drama between them.

I thought I had a good memory but didn't remember Inoue / Baldwin competing at 2010 Nationals. I generally remember with the advent of teams like McLaughlin / Brubaker and Denney / Barrett that the USFSA was kind of dumping them. But, considering how the US did in Vancouver, I/B might have actually had a better placement than Denney / Barrett and Evora / Ladwig.

ETA - OK. I didn't know about Z/B, so they didn't even get a chance to compete for that spot in 2022

olympic

Marval was skating with Kuchiki in 1994. They got hosed by the judges and were left off the team in favor of a pair that fell numerous times.
Yeah. Looking at the results of Lillehammer 1994 for the US, I think they had a good shot at doing better than US team #3.

skategal

Bunny mama
Landry/Johnson - Cindy wanted to turn pro and stop competing after winning a World medal and National championships so that was the end of their competitive partnership.

IIRC they didn’t stay together long as professionals either but Cindy had a long professional career with other partners.

caseyedwards

Thanks. Why was Stolbova NOT invited to compete in 2018? Would she and Klimov have stayed together? I thought that there was major drama between them.

I thought I had a good memory but didn't remember Inoue / Baldwin competing at 2010 Nationals. I generally remember with the advent of teams like McLaughlin / Brubaker and Denney / Barrett that the USFSA was kind of dumping them. But, considering how the US did in Vancouver, I/B might have actually had a better placement than Denney / Barrett and Evora / Ladwig.

ETA - OK. I didn't know about Z/B, so they didn't even get a chance to compete for that spot in 2022

It has never been revealed why any of the Russian “not invited” were “not invited!”

Seerek

1988 - Coull / Rowsom

A case could be made for Coull/Rowsom as well in 1984 - a poor performance at Nationals left them as the alternates for Sarajevo.

In addition to being the Olympic alternate for pairs, Cynthia was also the Olympic alternate for singles behind Thomson and Manley.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively

Sto/Kli I think got caught in the whole meldonium thing? Didn't she have a "positive drug test" that came out of nowhere, along with Bukin (ice dance)? The whole affair was totally fishy Russian weird politiking.

caseyedwards

Sto/Kli I think got caught in the whole meldonium thing? Didn't she have a "positive drug test" that came out of nowhere, along with Bukin (ice dance)? The whole affair was totally fishy Russian weird politiking.
never! People said maybe that was the reason but why would it never become public

Last edited:

olympic

Landry/Johnson - Cindy wanted to turn pro and stop competing after winning a World medal and National championships so that was the end of their competitive partnership.

IIRC they didn’t stay together long as professionals either but Cindy had a long professional career with other partners.
Interesting
Interesting info on S/K

Does anyone know if V/T just decided to retire after 2016? They didn’t exactly leave on a high note …

beckab81

Interesting

Interesting info on S/K

Does anyone know if V/T just decided to retire after 2016? They didn’t exactly leave on a high note …
Pretty sure Trankov was ready to be done after Euro’s that year (maybe even earlier), but did worlds at the request of the fed and because Volo loved skating. They got pregnant that summer and ultimately retired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information