Downton Abbey Season 6 - PBS broadcast

kittyjake5

It seems even the servants (at least Anna) knows about Edith being Marigold 's mother and Lady Mary is still
in the dark....

The story line about the hospital is hilarious. Violet and Isobel are in first rate snark form and after episode
2 I have Isobel leading, but I believe it won't last because we all know Violet is the master of snark and usually
gets what she wants. lol

I have enjoyed the first 2 episodes.

gkelly

I'm wondering if someone is going to suggest a tenant swap with the new neighbours - The Drewes for Daisy's father-in-law - that way everyone would still be happy.

I figured that's where things were leading.

But is Mr. Mason's farm far enough away to solve Mrs. Drewe's issue?

And will the new owner accept them as new tenants?

Artemis@BC

It seems even the servants (at least Anna) knows about Edith being Marigold 's mother and Lady Mary is still in the dark....

I was confused by Anna's reactions, because there's been nothing previously to suggest that Anna or any of the other servants have the slightest inkling of Marigold's parentage. So I wonder if they wrote it that way simply to illustrate that Anna's own miscarriages make her more sensitive and sympathetic to any kind of "motherhood" issues -- picking up on the fact that Mrs Drewe is pining and sympathetic to her having "lost" Marigold, etc.

Artemis@BC

I'm wondering if someone is going to suggest a tenant swap with the new neighbours - The Drewes for Daisy's father-in-law - that way everyone would still be happy.

I figured that's where things were leading. But is Mr. Mason's farm far enough away to solve Mrs. Drewe's issue? And will the new owner accept them as new tenants?

My understanding is that it's not a swap: Mr Mason will take over the Drewes' tenancy, but the Drewes will go ... somewhere else. The new owners of the estate where Mr Mason has been seem to be wanting to run most of their farms themselves, so wouldn't be likely to take on the Drewes.

Kinda sucks for the Drewes, but it illustrates the type of man he is: proud of his work but still fully accepting of "his place." And probably also willing to be a martyr because he recognizes he was foolish to engage in the scheme in the first place.

I hope Edith fully recognizes the depth of the mess she's caused.

Tinami Amori

The whole situation with Drewes, Edith, Marigold is a big mess and multifaceted, and i tried to put it all in a pattern that makes sense to me:

Drewes helped Crawley family with the farm and Edith with Marigold. They lost the child and the farm to no fault of their own. Certainly not fair.

Sir Robert’s priority is Edith’s well-being. I think he could have done a little more in favor of Drewes to balance out this situation.

A sympathetic character, Edith, poor little Edith, suddenly is not so benign, and bluntly selfish, when her interests are at stake, but then can one blame a Mother who had her child under such circumstances. First she panicked, made one set of choices, now she changed her mind, it affect others negatively.

Perhaps Lady Mary had a point smirking at Edith from time to time, perhaps since child-hood she knew her better than audience.

The only “minus” against Mrs. Drewe that could justify Crawley’s decisions, is her obsession with Marigold. If she was childless and Marigold was given to her as her only child, it would be understandable. But she has many children, and did not give birth to Marigold, and did not raise her for many years, but rather few months. She should not have taken Marigold off the show-grounds. That sealed the deal. She basically kidnapped the child, and now there is no excuse.

Edith, on the other hand, should have been more flexible in letting Drewes “share custody” of Marigold. At least TRY to let the child spend some time with them. It is possible that Mrs. Drewe might have done something unacceptable in such situation, but at least they should have TRIED.

Sir Robert should have influenced Edith to make such attempts. Mary should not have taken Marigold to the farm grounds, I am not even sure she had “noble motivations” to do so. But it seems she does not approve of Edith keeping Marigold completely away from Drewes. I am not sure if she “created” an additional problem, or placed a final straw on top of a situation which eventually would have exploded anyway.

Asking Drewes to leave the farm is too drastic, imho. Asking Mr. Drewe to keep Mrs. Drewe away from Marigold, regardless of how Edith feels about their proximity to the child, would have been the right things to do.

The whole situation looks like “rich took advantage of the less fortunate”, got the help, then took the child and ended their residency. However, if such case of adoptive vs. biological parent came to court, given the child was with adoptive parents just few months, and birth parent had the means to support the child, the court would have awarded Marigold to Edith.

There are many cases, when a wealthy family adopts a child of a poor single mother, who later changes her mind, and court awards the baby to the Mother.
So the situation is not completely unfair. All I can say about "all parties involved"...... they are all human, and ALL made mistakes..:D

Artemis@BC

Asking Drewes to leave the farm is too drastic, imho. Asking Mr. Drewe to keep Mrs. Drewe away from Marigold, regardless of how Edith feels about their proximity to the child, would have been the right things to do.

I don't disagree that it's unfair, and the whole scheme was ill-conceived from the very beginning and doomed to fail.

But it was illustrated clearly in last night's episode that Mrs Drewe can't keep away from Marigold, and so -- as much for her sake as for Edith's -- Mr Drewe recognizes that taking Mrs Drewe away is the kindest thing to do at this point.

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
I don't disagree that it's unfair, and the whole scheme was ill-conceived from the very beginning and doomed to fail.

But it was illustrated clearly in last night's episode that Mrs Drewe can't keep away from Marigold, and so -- as much for her sake as for Edith's -- Mr Drewe recognizes that taking Mrs Drewe away is the kindest thing to do at this point.
I thought that Edith should make London her more or less permanent residence and take Marigold with her, thereby allowing the Drewes to stay on at Downton. But I guess that was already discussed between her and Rosamund and pretty much rejected in episode 1?

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
I hope Edith fully recognizes the depth of the mess she's caused.
Fat chance.

Mary should not have taken Marigold to the farm grounds, I am not even sure she had “noble motivations” to do so. But it seems she does not approve of Edith keeping Marigold completely away from Drewes.
Lady Mary doesn't know Edith is Marigold's mother. Otherwise, ITA with your post.

I thought that Edith should make London her more or less permanent residence and take Marigold with her, thereby allowing the Drewes to stay on at Downton.
Even if she did move to London, she would still come to Downton with Marigold and it would be awkward. (not that Edith isn't the epitome of awkward anyway)

Last edited:

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
Even if she did move to London, she would still come to Downton with Marigold and it would be awkward. (not that Edith isn't the epitome of awkward anyway)
I agree it would be awkward whenever Edith/Marigold came into contact with Mrs. Drewe, but how often would that actually be? I wonder how far away they will send the Drewes to avoid any potential contact -- emigration would be too extreme, even for Downton plausibility standards. :lol: The next county will probably suffice. :shuffle:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I was confused by Anna's reactions, because there's been nothing previously to suggest that Anna or any of the other servants have the slightest inkling of Marigold's parentage. So I wonder if they wrote it that way simply to illustrate that Anna's own miscarriages make her more sensitive and sympathetic to any kind of "motherhood" issues -- picking up on the fact that Mrs Drewe is pining and sympathetic to her having "lost" Marigold, etc.

I seem to recall Anna finding a picture of Marigold in a book in Edith's bedroom. She took it to Mrs. Hughes, who kind of shut down any speculation. Also, a few servants were present when Mrs. Drewe came to the servants quarters to tell Lady Crawley that Edith had a bastard child.

skategal

Bunny mama

IIRC, Anna found the photo of Marigold under Edith's pillow during the fire.

So probably put 2 and 2 together.

Eta Coco beat me to it...lol

Tinami Amori

Fat chance.

Lady Mary doesn't know Edith is Marigold's mother. Otherwise, ITA with your post.

Lady Mary does know that Mrs. Drewe wants to see the child.

Eggshell Scull rule (law)…. “you take your victim as you found him”. Lady Edith made no enquiries on the mental stability of Mrs. Drewe before giving her Marigold, nor took the time to discuss possible outcomes. She took away the child, and now must deal with Mrs. Drewe’s reactions as they are, and minimize the damage.

Drewes certainly should not be ASKED to move, unless Mr. Drewe thinks it is better for his wife’s piece of mind. Mind you, there are also other Drewe children involved, who are going to school in the area and have attachments; and there are various animals who may have also formed attachments (as animals can) to Mr. Drewe.

It is not a matter of “rich” vs. “poor”. I’ve seen similar situations between people of the same economic level, when relationships break up and there is a dog/cat/child to share. You can’t uproot a family just because there are two nut-cases on each side. Sir Robert should control Edith, and Mr. Drewe should control his wife, and let Marigold enjoy company of 2 women. Maybe Mrs. Drewe will accept such arrangement. Edith started it! She should be the one to adjust.

The hoity-toity Edith is a chicken-drek, who has no guts to face society with her own actions and choices, and then plays victim. She can’t even handle the editor in her OWN newspaper! Heck, she hardly spends much time in HER OWN BUSINESS, and her apartment is standing EMPTY without tenants, accumulating expenses and no revenue, at the times when family needs money! That is pathetic!

Lady Mary has a lot more will and guts, she declines marriages, changes car tires, chases pigs and saddles horses…..and rightfully smirks at Edith.
– Hooray for Thoroughly Modern Mary …. :D

danceronice

Corgi Wrangler

I didn't quite get the whole thing with Mrs Drewe obsessing for the reason Tinami mentioned but to me that's the tipping point for not being sympathetic to her. She HAS children. I don't get fixating on Marigold. Sure, she might love her or whatever, she got attached, but to the point of being psychotic, which is what you have to be if you abduct a child? Modern-day this would at least rate a talking to and a warning from the police. Does she hate her other children or something? It's not like she's never had children, Edith dangled Marigold, then snatched her away. (Also, isn't that child too big to be lugged around?)

Sucks to be Mr Drewe, but he's likely to find another position. The children won't die from having to move (primary-school friends are hardly life-altering unless you plan to live and die five miles from home anyway and the whole point of the show is that world's going away-the boys will be dying at Dunkirk in fifteen years anyway) and animals? He's the pig man. Besides that pigs are not cuddly or friendly, they'll breed the prize sow and the rest of the pigs will be in the smokehouse in October so they won't have time to miss him if they could tell. That's what pigs are for.

Edith, meanwhile, needs to quit flaking and move to London or something.

Tinami Amori

He's the pig man. Besides that pigs are not cuddly or friendly, they'll breed the prize sow and the rest of the pigs will be in the smokehouse in October so they won't have time to miss him if they could tell. That's what pigs are for.
Not that pigs should preclude people from making important life decisions, but just for the record:

Pigs are pets, very intelligent animals, and form just as strong of attachments as dogs and cats. They are under-rated and under-studied, but that's changing.
http://a.abcnews.go.com/images/US/HT_Wilbur_Florida_family_pet_pig_7_MT_140715_4x3_992.jpg
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polop...gen/derivatives/article_970/pigs23n-4-web.jpg

(if the animals were goats or cows, i would not have mentioned the animal attachment part).

Artemis@BC

Not that pigs should preclude people from making important life decisions, but just for the record:

Pigs are pets, very intelligent animals, and form just as strong of attachments as dogs and cats.

Do you think anyone in 1925 would have factored that into any decision-making, ever?

skategal

Bunny mama
I kept saying to myself "why doesn't edith just fire that editor?" Over and over again all through last night's episode. :rolleyes:

Japanfan

(if the animals were goats or cows, i would not have mentioned the animal attachment part).

Agree that pigs are highly intelligent, under-rated and understudied.

Goats can also be pets, and I believe they can form attachments to people. Don't think this is the case for cows.

vesperholly

I didn't quite get the whole thing with Mrs Drewe obsessing for the reason Tinami mentioned but to me that's the tipping point for not being sympathetic to her. She HAS children. I don't get fixating on Marigold. Sure, she might love her or whatever, she got attached, but to the point of being psychotic, which is what you have to be if you abduct a child?

That always rang really false to me, too. Attachment yes, but this is unnatural obsession.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I really like Edith. But she majorly messed up with the Drewes. I sympathize that she loves Marigold, but I think she should have left the child in Swtzerland or simply claimed her. She wants her cake and eat it too.

I do worry that Edith doesn't have the birth certificate.

berthesghost

I kept saying to myself "why doesn't edith just fire that editor?" Over and over again all through last night's episode. :rolleyes:
I feel this is one way the show can be heavy handed in its treatment. All 3 crawley daughters struggle as smart, ambitious women in a changing but still mostly old fashioned world. Mary is most tied to the old ways so her efforts to be modern are all mostly undercover or subtle. Sibyl was the most modern and most likely to openly buck convention. So not only does Edith suffer from Jan Brady syndrome, but she in a muddled middle position: far more modern than Mary, but lacking sibyl's boldness.
I think the idea they are trying to push here is that a society lady in the 20s just didn't go around firing men. Edith will get there eventually, but with no role models or supporters, and an outdated education, it will be a slow path to fruition.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Julian Fellowes has been know to write elaborate backstories for the characters. Perhaps Mrs. Drewe never had a daughter of her own or was left with fertility issues after a difficult birth?

attyfan

I'm not sure about things during the 1920s, but for many years, people thought that the birth tie was much stronger than any tie that could be created by adoption -- especially one that didn't last for very long. Some of that thinking might have factored into Edith's behavior (i.e., she did not handle Mrs. Drewe appropriately because she did not realize that a strong tie could have been created in the months she had Marigold)

skatesindreams

"Arrangements" such as Edith's were not uncommon for those who found themselves pregnant during this era.
Being an unwed mother "shamed" the girl/her family; and destroyed her prospects for marriage, which was still how most women in Edith's circle "advanced" themselves.

That Edith was attempting to become an "independent" woman was very unusual; and there were few examples for her to follow.
It's no surprise that she has had missteps along the way.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Edit is damaged goods *grin*
We already have had the whole season in France.
Sad it's over :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information