#TeamTrainwreck 18: Wrap your turban tight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad for Skating

In December I feel often like I was on a sugar high. Since after National Comps are done it`s a long wait until the next competition.

Agree. And then for me, it’s always back to school for my second semester just when US Nationals, Canadian Nationals, AND Europeans decides to happen!

SamuraiK

And the upcoming weekend is when it starts getting real. The Challenger series starts--sometimes two in one weekend, and there are still 4 JGP events going. It requires organizational skills, a good understanding of international time zones and multiple viewing devices. I should turn this into an assignment for my students to test their critical thinking.

LOL , Luckily I've calmed my fandom enough to just care about watching on YT later the performances that interest me and at holy hours.. Much, much easier :D

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Trusova landed three perfectly clean quads, one in combination. Just give her the ladies senior World's title now and let the others know they're competing for silver and bronze. If she stays healthy, she wins. And, Boss, Zagitova's free skate is brilliant. I'd say based on test skates, she and Trusova are going to Euros and Worlds. The fight will be the 3rd spot and I think that fight will be between LaTuk and Kostornaia. Tuk's 3As are easy this season which will move her into contention. Kostornaia has all the skating skills...so who knows?

Sorry, Sofia, Stasia and Med, but you just don't compete. I figure Scherbakova will be sent to junior worlds.

Susie and minion's Moonlight Sonata is very good. They still have work to do, but I'm confident.

Colonel Green

Diva Khuda's instagram post is :watch:

I'm guessing the split with Nazarov was NOT amicable.
The first post she made on the subject pretty strongly suggested that too.

S

SmallFairy

The gals!

Legends!

Birthday boy, great outfit

Viking looking fab!

Epic!

S

SmallFairy

And on test skates...

Trusova is bad ass, I love her! She vipes the floor with all the guys. I demand cute photos with her dog now!

Liza’s jumps ridiculously perfect and effortless. Same program for ten years, I don’t care.

Kostornaia music cuts would’ve made 80ies skating proud.

Zag doing Yagudin tribute. She looked fab, loved to see her smile.

No Bolero MR for That Stasya Girl. :(

Med’s SP better than her FS.

Men mostly abysmal, haven’t watched all from today yet. Ignatov’s SP really nice.
Misha, Our boy.... :gallopin1
Bring back Menshov, at least he landed quads!

Susie and her man looked great. They will slay for sure, with a little more time.

T/M sooooo good! Finally! Zoueva genius, especially the SP. FS fit them too, but weird opera Te amo. Vlad’s hair fab. He’s maybe back to where I and @Loves_Shizuka agree :D

Haven’t watched all of dance, none of today, but really liked Grease for S/S yesterday,
but,
SMIRNOV LOOKS LIKE AVERBUKH, THE FACIAL HAIR MUST GO!!!!!!

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Thoughts on test skates LPs:

Dance:

There’s Popova and then there’s everyone else. Brilliant SD and FD. I really like Bohemian Rhapsody on them, even without the dino costumes. :lol: I just want her in pants for the FD and him in a Freddie tank.

Men:

Aliev is so overpowered by Sound of Silence. Kolyada hot mess. Voronov was the only good one. I can’t believe how good his programs are! :eek: Huge respect to his current level. Girlfriend Coach looked so proud. If he can manage two quads per LP, he’s in really good shape to make it back to Euros.

Pairs:

What depth! Sorry but Zabiajko is toast.

Efimova: Finland please.

Mishina. I like them. Reminiscent of Petrova/Tikhonov tho.

Biokova: Didn’t do anything for me at all. Blah ending.

T/M sooooo good! Finally! Zoueva genius, especially the SP. FS fit them too, but weird opera Te amo. Vlad’s hair fab. He’s maybe back to where I and @Loves_Shizuka agree :D

Totally agree. Zoueva is a goddess. :glamor: The LP music is weird but the choreography is interesting and well-done and they actually have a connection to each other! :eek: They both look amazing, too.

Even last years LP was decent, but this is on an entirely different level.

Susie and her man looked great. They will slay for sure, with a little more time.

Damn. They looked even better together than I dared hope. They could be quite a force in 6 months. Program is quite good for their first!

Ladies:
Omg. Insane depth. Good variety of programs. I’ll provide a definitive rank from best to least.

1. Tuk. Slay! :glamor: Great jumping! The 3A looks so consistent. :eek: So much great posing, and just a bit more choreography than usual. And I didn’t totally hate the footwork sequence this time, which is an improvement for her.

@SmallFairy is right, of course, it’s her usual program, but there was just enough different for me to be really get behind it.

I also have extremely high expectations for the costume.

2. Kostornia. I just love the juxtaposition of the classiest skater here having the trashiest program! 😍 So much fun! Loved all the music cuts, as they were actually put together well. Jumps looked good, coming off injury. I’d much rather a 15 year old slay a Twilight program than fake a classical program.

3. Zagitova. Looks much more relaxed and secure now. She looked like she was having fun, too! What a change from last season. The first half of the program is still waaay too frantic but it gets better as it goes on. I loved the footwork to end—she totally slayed the ending, too. Gets a small bump in the rankings because I’m so impressed at her level—she easily could have retired after winning Worlds.

4. Scherbakova. I’ve never been a big fan but this is a good program and highlights her effervescence. And what an epic costume change! One of the best ever. 😍 Yes, it’s a shameless gimmick, and no, I don’t care. I loved the crowd reaction. The jump technique is still scary.

No Bolero MR for That Stasya Girl. :(
5. Med. She looked fierce as hell. I think I like the program, but the jumps were so off it was hard to tell. Definitely an upgrade over that non-tango from last season. I still want to see more of her personality, though. I think there’s a decent shot this could be so much better by the GP. Basics and speed look much improved, too!

6. Konstantinova. This was good, but I don’t love the music selections. She has so much quality and really deserves better. Bolero would have been SO much more worthy of her skills and could have been a signature program. Unfortunately this made we want to watch Ashley Wagner. Oh well. The SP is stunning, this...not so much. I kind of want her to go back to Malagueña from Aurora Games. :lol:

7. Trusova. Damn. Insane jumping. The program was a background to showcase her incredible athleticism, but I wish they would have picked music I liked. :drama: I’d highlight her fierceness even more—give her a Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter program (there’s actually so much good music there, especially SF). I’m not ready to crown her World Champion, or even reserve a spot on the Euros team yet. It’s a long season.

8. Samodurova. Without 100% jump consistency, she’s outclassed in this field, unfortunately. I didn’t hate the program, and she seemed to perform it more consistently than Burlesque. I hope she skates well on the Grand Prix.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Men:

Aliev is so overpowered by Sound of Silence. Kolyada hot mess. Voronov was the only good one. I can’t believe how good his programs are! :eek: Huge respect to his current level. Girlfriend Coach looked so proud. If he can manage two quads per LP, he’s in really good shape to make it back to Euros.
Same old, same old!

SamuraiK

Diva Khuda's instagram post is :watch:

I'm guessing the split with Nazarov was NOT amicable.

Yikes that sounded very desperate/ tacky in a "I got dumped and still can't get over it so I need to trash him to make myself feel better" Taylor Swift kind of way..

J

Jeschke

Last days off before school is back on, let's check the FS/FD.

Boss on 🇷🇺 Test Skates, Ice Dance, FD:

K/D - Nice nightie for her, but well, this was very boring and he could be grea and well, she couldn't.
Z/G - To the surprise of the mama, I liked that; not the package I would have given them, but nice ideas and choreo moments. This skated better, and Tiff in Lara Croft pants and top, Jon with dirty face army look, I am in.
Finger - Couldn't they revive 'Love Story'? Disappointment#1
S/E - Awesome look. Hope these are the actual costumes. Thank god this was great. I feared after shit RD. Loved the last 30seconds. @SmallFairy :cheer2:
S/K - Totally loved that. Clean and pure. Well constructed. Highlight lift and choreo steps are working so well.
M/B - Bagin has improved a lot but it's still mostly his looks what keeps my interest. (which is not fair by me, because I liked the concept of the FD a lot; I would not be bothered if they would get the host spot this time, because they looked decent)
E/B - I like Bazin so much. But that program was disappointment#2. And they stole Betty's belly slide :angryfire
P/M - Was I the only one seeing Fentz on the ice here? :eek: 🆘 So underwehelming. I expected way more here.

So, who is getting the host spot?
Betty, MorozovDaughter or #thefinger? :watch:

J

Jeschke

Boss on 🇷🇺 Test Skates, Men, FS:

Ignatov - Is this Aliev's old flattering shirt in which Makar tried to press his chest in? :rofl:
Voronov - Did he skate that program before once in his career? Felt familiar. I will root, just because he is still around. I could totally see @Hanna happy clappy to these final steps and @alchemy void stiffly dancing anlong.
Aliev - Well, he will always remain our boy. I could watch him just skate around forever. This was halfway decent on TES side, the program, yeah, does not much for me. But it's our boy. And he looks damn good in those fitting pants. :smokin:
Samarin - What the hell is this music? And what the hell is the back of this costume? :scream: I have a feeling this insane tech layout with 4lz, 4f, late 4t, single loop into 3a will go drastically wrong in competition though :gallopin1
Lazukin - Love the look and program for him; why didn't they give Aranjuez to Tuk? I could so see her in that.
Savosin - Ah I wish that program and music could work for him.
Kolyada - Misha in this 1min to the slow 'City lights' part was pure magic. I totally loved that. The fun part to end, well, Messing killed this for me but this skated clean could score so high for him, but yeah, we all know the game.

Host spot is for Ignatov unless Murashov wins Lombardia Trophy this week. Or is there anyone else in serious contention?

J

Jeschke

Boss on 🇷🇺 Test Skates, Pairs, FS:

E/K - I just love them :swoon: Nothing to add.
B/K - I like them, but the program is so meh! Disappointment#3
P/K - Totally loved the concept. I will cheer so hard for this during the season! But boy, that one lift exit will give me a heart attack every time.
M/G - I like the new costume on her and the 3-3 is killer but of all seniors, they are my least favorite pair.
T/M - As much as I joked before about the music. This was stunning! Loved the mood in this.
S/N - I hate to admit but I am not convinced. First outing, let's wait; for now it seems more like a fight making the team than a possible fight making the top. At the beginning the program felt kinda generic but then it builds in a perfect way and I am sucker for this silent ending afterwards. So good. Still, I can't help, not flashed. No fan of S/M's comparisons. No early judgement. Just a starting point. Let's wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jeschke

Boss on 🇷🇺 Test Skates, Ladies, FS:

Med - I am a sucker for 'Memoirs of a Geisha' but sorry, this program looked just staged and wrong. #mikisgeishaforever
LaTuk - This program is a farce. Disappointment#4
Sofia - Is this the musical version or some dark emo cover?
Stasia - Oh nope :drama: Disappointment#5 ; of course I loved the wild arms and the bending but the program compeltely felt flat :( The steps to TdR did not work at all for me. I iked the silent part before more. Dress is boring too. Dammit!
Zag - She is in shape, all that matters. I was a sucker for the 3sec spiral, because this was some moment of halt finally. Well, this will score high, if I like it or not is of no importance here.
Anna - Stunning dress. Love the costume change in movement. She is not mature enough for this music imho. #mikiforever
Trus - Biggest respect to the tech; insane. 'Dracarys' to end :rofl: Would be more symbolic to start :D I am curious for teh Daenerys hair and costume.
Kostornaia - :swoon::swoon::swoon: Layout with 2x 2a? :huh: Will they upgrade to 3a? I liked the silent part to start, no fan of 2nd and 3rd music piece.

I want a Tut skater go for 3-3-3!

Hanna

Skating junkie
Kostornaia - :swoon::swoon::swoon: Layout with 2x 2a? :huh: Will they upgrade to 3a? I liked the silent part to start, no fan of 2nd and 3rd music piece.
The complete opposite for me :drama: - I feel like she's done enough pretty programs (even if it is where she shines) and I'm really dying to see something else at this point. Which is why I absolutely LOVE the 3rd piece of music because I feel like that's where she could finally showcase something different and a much fiercer side. But unfortunately the program construction sucks in that the final part includes two spins :duh: so there's not much room for interesting choreo and interpretation. :wuzrobbed It would be amazing if the final part had some more KILLER choreo to actually use the music to its advantage. It's such a letdown for me when the music changes and I want to scream "yesssss now SELL" and then we get a feckin' spin... AND another one. :fragile: (OK yes, there are a couple of cool moments of interpreting the music, too, but not enough IMO).

Last edited:
S

SmallFairy

I loved the fierce music for Kostornaya too, she enjoyed every second of it, but I just couldn't make part 2 and 3 fit togheter with part 1. "The Meadow" is gorgeous, but it must stand on it's own. The funky music could be teamed up something gloomy, if she wanted a slow first section.

I wondered about the two 2axels too. It can't be.

And @alchemy void YES! OMG! Street Fighter for Trusova, that would be epic!!!

S

SmallFairy

And also yes, the hair! She has the goods, what braids will she give us?

Her tiny dog is too small to act as her dragon....

S

SmallFairy

I'm still sooooo let down by the two MR programs. They were no fun, I've seen it all before. Like I've seen Chaplin zillion times before. B/S are the only ones I can tolerate. The only ones. Stasia should have used Bolero, or made February her FS, the SP ends too soon, I want more. My Sofia didn't sparkle like last year. She's becoming a woman too, like Zag, like #thefinger, and I guess she's maybe adjusting. Fingers crossed!

S

SmallFairy

And just let me say....Evgenia Tarasova is my everything right now, she looks SO fit and cute and glowing and intense and everything at the same time. Luuuuurved how Zoueva have given them lifts with holds that emphasises their clean lines. And really, sometimes I feel there's too much ado in figure skating costuming. Bling ok, but come on....all the girls in their black body suits, they look so good! There's no distractions, just beautiful, beautiful lines and extensions, especially pairs girls. More skaters should go the simple route. A body suit doesn't have to be boring, look at B/K!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information