#TeamTrainwreck 12: Done in by a World of Fun!

Mad for Skating

I am broken into pieces for Denis. He was not only an amazing artist but one of the kindest people ever, I could sense his goodness every time he stepped on the ice. I feel so honored to have seen him in person at Skate America 2015. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcDuC2OgLhM It was by far not his best performance, but he fought to the end, as he always did.

I also want to bring up this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=equsjY_LaVg from 2016 Trophee de France. As far as I remember, it was his most recent clean free skate. It happened over the weekend of my birthday and I remember being so happy for him because everything finally came together for him.

J

Jeschke

I never imagined this thread of joy and laughter would be filled with so much sadness :cry:

Thanks @SamuraiK for pointing out those performances.
I want to add this years short program and free skate to this. Both were brilliant programs and a perfect demonstration why we loved Denis' skating. I never cared about the jumps watching it, I just loved watching Denis moving on the ice.

Though it might be no comfort for his family and friends, it's lovely to see the skaters paying tribute. @alchemy void mentioned them, great words additionally by Dima and even Mari managed to post anything decent for once.

I know he was already in HoF
He is not and we won't ever dare to put him in. Never.

I have no clue right now how we move on in here from this point.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I never imagined this thread of joy and laughter would be filled with so much sadness :cry:

I want to add this years short program and free skate to this. Both were brilliant programs and a perfect demonstration why we loved Denis' skating. I never cared about the jumps watching it, I just loved watching Denis moving on the ice.

Though it might be no comfort for his family and friends, it's lovely to see the skaters paying tribute. @alchemy void mentioned them, great words additionally by Dima and even Mari managed to post anything decent for once.

We grieve and then we laugh again. Celebrate life.

SamuraiK

I'm sorry if i keep bringing down the Mood in this Thread but
My Instagram feed has been a constant mourning since yesterday but it's also comforting to see how much D10 meant for the worldwide Skating community.

I like this tribute using his own voice , Denis looks so calm and Life loving
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlbKKSZgjyF/

Oops.... then I humbly ask you again to consider giving him Patron Saint status. I'm Not religious or a believer and Not sure if Denis was or which religiĂłn he professed but If he was then he's already in the skating heavens.

Last edited:

shah

Shhh... shhh...

It will be very tough... For all of us - his family, friends, fans, the whole skating community... It's really difficult to divert one's attention from these recurring thoughts about what happened yesterday, how tragic, absurd and pointless it was, how immense this loss is, for the skating world and the world in general.

This state of mind when you did not know somebody personally, yet you feel as if your closest relative was gone :wuzrobbed...

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I'm sorry if i keep bringing down the Mood in this Thread but
My Instagram feed has been a constant mourning since yesterday but it's also comforting to see how much D10 meant for the worldwide Skating community.

Definitely no need to apologize, I very much appreciate all the links you (and everyone else) has been sharing. I too find it a little comforting to see literally everyone in the skating community sharing so much, and some of the tributes have been really touching.

Besides the only other content in this thread in the summertime are links to Stavitskaya’s lame instagram. :)

It's really difficult to divert one's attention from these recurring thoughts about what happened yesterday, how tragic, absurd and pointless it was, how immense this loss is, for the skating world and the world in general.

Very well said. It really hasn’t sunken in yet for me...

I want to add this years short program and free skate to this.

Thank you. Absolutely my favorite programs in men’s last season. Just stunning musicality, emotion, and skating skills. It has been such a privilege to watch him skate the past 8 years.

And I would like to add I appreciate coming to this thread to remember and celebrate D10 without having to scroll through people bickering with each other, which is unfortunately the case in the main thread. Just realized to say I want to acknowledge and appreciate everyone who contributes (and lurks) in here. :)

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
D10 was a rare skater that pretty much all skating fans liked. He was respected by his fellow skaters, his coaches and choreographers. It was a combination of his talent and his personality. We all commiserated with him regarding his ongoing issues with his feet and his boots. A poor skate was never the result of a poor work ethic. His loss is not simply the loss of a good figure skater, but of a multitalented young man with much to offer. Cry, grieve, and then celebrate the life of Denis Ten, a fine human being. ::40beers: Salute.

Ka3sha

Almost two days passed and I still have no words to describe my feelings.

. His loss is not simply the loss of a good figure skater, but of a multitalented young man with much to offer. Cry, grieve, and then celebrate the life of Denis Ten, a fine human being. ::40beers: Salute.
This.

He choreographed one of Voronov's programs for the new season and I can't imagine, how hard for Sergei it would be to skate to that program during the season.. But at the same time I really hope that he will keep it at least as a show number in Denis' honor.

He also worked on a script for a film about the relationship between a hearing-impaired girl and a speech-impaired young man and revealed his entry for the Screenlife Project competition just few days ago. He was one of 18 semifinalists of that context.. This context is held by famous Russian-Kazakh director, Timur Bekmambetov, who has already promised to try to "make Denis ideas a reality, so that we can dedicate a film to the talented Ten."
And I really hope that this will work out. He was way too young to die. So much unrealized potential. :cry:

Mad for Skating

It feels so weird seeing all this in the thread titled "Done in by a world of fun!". But sometimes I think humor is the only way to get through this kind of tragedy, and I know everyone in this thread is gonna be here for each other.

The first time I saw Denis's free skate this season I was blown away by how beautifully he interpreted the music. Usually I don't care about that crap but he really delivered it perfectly. I don't care about the jumps either; for me he was a skater I could adore even if he missed every jump.

I don't know if you guys are religious, but I think Denis is in skating heaven, and he is probably having a gliding competition with Sergei Grinkov right now.

S

SmallFairy

Thank you @SamuraiK and everyone posting links! I'm still in denial about Denis, I just can't believe something like this happened. I went to check FSU two days ago and saw the thread that told he was injured. It sounded horrible, but I thought; he's in the hospital, it was his thigh, he will be ok...and then, I hadn't been in the thread for more than a minute, I posted a response, and at the same time, the worst news was posted...

It was such a shock. Unreal. Denis was one of my all time favourite skaters. When someone touches you and your emotions, it can be a writer, a composer, a skater, you feel like they are close to you in a special way, even though you never met them and don't know them. It was that way with Denis. He was one of very few skaters who performed with that special passion that made me watch his programs over and over, even if the jumps were nonexistent. Like last years programs, especially the short. Thanks for posting @Jeschke. I have no idea how many times I replayed it during the season. The step seq is so top notch. I even replayed it in slo mo.

I guess I prefer to post here instead of the regular thread. World of fun is also world of tears sometimes, as we are so passionate about our members and co-members, because they evoke those special feelings in us. If not, they wouldn't break our hearts. I agree with @SamuraiK we should give Denis a special status in here, whatever it is. I'm not religious either, and if it can't be HOF, we must think of something else. If there was a TTW in earlier years, Denis would have been our perfect member, until he started winning medals.

Darn, I'm still tearing up seeing those IG messages and photos. What a sad, sad time. How senseless everything. So unnecessary:(:(:(

Mad for Skating

Thank you @SamuraiK and everyone posting links! I'm still in denial about Denis, I just can't believe something like this happened. I went to check FSU two days ago and saw the thread that told he was injured. It sounded horrible, but I thought; he's in the hospital, it was his thigh, he will be ok...and then, I hadn't been in the thread for more than a minute, I posted a response, and at the same time, the worst news was posted...

It was such a shock. Unreal. Denis was one of my all time favourite skaters. When someone touches you and your emotions, it can be a writer, a composer, a skater, you feel like they are close to you in a special way, even though you never met them and don't know them. It was that way with Denis. He was one of very few skaters who performed with that special passion that made me watch his programs over and over, even if the jumps were nonexistent. Like last years programs, especially the short. Thanks for posting @Jeschke. I have no idea how many times I replayed it during the season. The step seq is so top notch. I even replayed it in slo mo.

I guess I prefer to post here instead of the regular thread. World of fun is also world of tears sometimes, as we are so passionate about our members and co-members, because they evoke those special feelings in us. If not, they wouldn't break our hearts. I agree with @SamuraiK we should give Denis a special status in here, whatever it is. I'm not religious either, and if it can't be HOF, we must think of something else. If there was a TTW in earlier years, Denis would have been our perfect member, until he started winning medals.

Darn, I'm still tearing up seeing those IG messages and photos. What a sad, sad time. How senseless everything. So unnecessary:(:(:(

My greatest condolences, Small Fairy. I agree that sometimes these "trainwreck" skaters are the ones who give us both the most pleasure and the most pain. I'm here for you and everyone else in this thread if you need a friend.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
This has been a rough time to be traveling for work. I come home from Southeast Asia to find that Pogo is married, kitty is engaged, and D10 is dead :eek:! Shocking really, although when I first heard the D10 news I feared suicide, but the stabbing in the leg was just as brutal and seemingly so random.

I always knew he belonged on the team. What is the saying that the good ones go too soon? I’m pretty sure 25 is too soon for anyone but I am touched by all the support shown from the fellow skaters. He was a brilliant talent and artist, even though his health/work ethic/whereabouts/mentality we’re always murky and unclear. Can we make a special position for D10 as #TTW Martyr?

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.

Mad for Skating

Thanks for sharing these. :) I love all the portraits you draw, too. D10’s is just perfect and made me choke up a little bit.

Also you really captured the aura and fierceness of Stolbova in her portrait too. Love it. :glamor:

Omg thank you! I try my best to draw accurate, awesome portraits of skaters and when I heard about Denis, I just knew I had to do something. I thought of the birds flying towards the sun on the Kazakh flag and it just made sense to draw him as an angel with those wings...oh gosh I'm gonna cry again.

And Stolbova is one of my faves, she is a goddess :D I think I draw the most pictures of her (unfortunately I suck at drawing Fedor so it's a lot of Ksenia solo shots). I actually have been watching their Addams Family program a lot to help me deal with Denis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information