Canadian Pairs 2018/2019 Season News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock2

Justine Brasseur is just AMAZING pair girl at a young age. That is all!

Oh, I take back every negative thing I said about Ruest/Wolfe in the US classic thread as they looked amazing too

I'm not in a panic with Bardei either. He'll get there. This whole year is just about learning to compete together.
My bigger concern was her ability to land throws. The ONE skate I saw of theirs was shades of Lloyd and Isabelle with Lloyd trying to make the throw as small as possible because she wasn't strong on the landings. If that gets better, I'm good.

R/W are certainly capable of cobbling together a decent performance esp in short. But their chances of scoring 5 pts on a twist...ever....are so low, and i don't see them ever being consistent enough to make an impression on the world stage. So, as much as j'adore them.....no.

dramagrrl

Charlie Bilodeau posted some pics on Instagram today of some ceremony/party Patinage Quebec gave to honour their Olympians. In the full group shot, obviously they made him and Julianne stand together like the rest of the pairs. Must've been awkward. :yikes::wuzrobbed:

RoseRed

Charlie Bilodeau posted some pics on Instagram today of some ceremony/party Patinage Quebec gave to honour their Olympians. In the full group shot, obviously they made him and Julianne stand together like the rest of the pairs. Must've been awkward. :yikes::wuzrobbed:
They were in several photos together from the event actually. Seemed fine.

There's an album on Patinage Quebec's FB page. https://www.facebook.com/patinageqc/

barbarafan

Julianne was very classy. Her coach in the picture looked like she was sucking lemons. I can only guess how she feels.

barbarafan

I'm not in a panic with Bardei either. He'll get there. This whole year is just about learning to compete together.
My bigger concern was her ability to land throws. The ONE skate I saw of theirs was shades of Lloyd and Isabelle with Lloyd trying to make the throw as small as possible because she wasn't strong on the landings. If that gets better, I'm good.

R/W are certainly capable of cobbling together a decent performance esp in short. But their chances of scoring 5 pts on a twist...ever....are so low, and i don't see them ever being consistent enough to make an impression on the world stage. So, as much as j'adore them.....no.

missed the free skates yesterday....does anyone know why R/W did not skate the long?
Does anyone know how to find B/B's skate. I am not sure why Justine has trouble landing the throws..That is their only weakness and she is a good jumper so I figure there may be something missing in the technique...Wish Lubov was around...I bet she could figure that one out...

nadioso

missed the free skates yesterday....does anyone know why R/W did not skate the long?
Does anyone know how to find B/B's skate. I am not sure why Justine has trouble landing the throws..That is their only weakness and she is a good jumper so I figure there may be something missing in the technique...Wish Lubov was around...I bet she could figure that one out...

I don't think it is a technique issue as much as that Justine is now receiving a lot more amplitude ( height and distance ) on the throws than she ever did with Ostiguy ( her former partner ) . Ostiguy throws small ( does so with his current partner as well ). That increased amplitude makes the throw harder to land but make the throw much more special as well.

It is better that they are continue doing big throws. I trust she is strong enough to make the adjustment on the landings.

barbarafan

I don't think it is a technique issue as much as that Justine is now receiving a lot more amplitude ( height and distance ) on the throws than she ever did with Ostiguy ( her former partner ) . Ostiguy throws small ( does so with his current partner as well ). That increased amplitude makes the throw harder to land but make the throw much more special as well.

It is better that they are continue doing big throws. I trust she is strong enough to make the adjustment on the landings.
hope so....if she can land them the should be first at nationals

ChiquitaBanana

That's what I posted few posts above...

aftershocks

Banned Member
And Saturday short programs from Georges Ethier:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6u2288

Junior pairs and Ruest/Wolfe and Brasseur/Bardei start at around 49:00

Brasseur/Bardei look to be a very promising team for Canada. Will they turn senior in the next season or so, or they are already senior? Ruest/Wolfe had a nice outing for their sp, the strongest I've seen from them in awhile. Probably they wished to get additional competition under their belt in a low-pressure environment.

Brasseur & Bardei start at about 2:08:00

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6u3hzk

More like 2:36:25 for Bardei/Brasseur fp. They seemed to be very relaxed and having fun with their coach, Gauthier, in the kiss 'n cry.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Brasseur/Bardei look to be a very promising team for Canada. Will they turn senior in the next season or so?
They are senior. It was posted earlier in this thread that Bardei (who turned 22 in July) has been released by the UKR federation so he and Brasseur should be eligible now to be assigned to a senior international by Skate Canada.

aftershocks

Banned Member
They are senior. It was posted earlier in this thread that Bardei (who turned 22 in July) has been released by the UKR federation so he and Brasseur should be eligible now to be assigned to a senior international by Skate Canada.

Ah thanks. Bardei does look mature up close, and they really make a very attractive couple together. It will just take more time and a lot of experience under their belts, but they are clearly a promising pair. Does greatness run in the Brasseur family genes? Justine is Isabelle Brasseur's neice, right? Whatever happened to Isabelle's daughter who was skating pairs in the U.S.?

Sylvia

TBD
Does greatness run in the Brasseur family genes? Justine is Isabelle Brasseur's neice, right? Whatever happened to Isabelle's daughter who was skating pairs in the U.S.?
Yes, Justine is Isabelle Brasseur's brother's daughter so she and Gabriella Marvaldi are cousins. Gabriella and her partner, Daniel Villeneuve, have not competed so far this season due to a medical issue that is in the process of being resolved, last I heard. They represent Canada now.

dramagrrl

Whatever happened to Isabelle's daughter who was skating pairs in the U.S.?
Isabelle's daughter, Gabriella Marvaldi, and her partner, Daniel Villeneuve, switched to skating for Canada last season. They haven't competed much (if at all?) because I believe there have been some injury issues.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Isabelle's daughter, Gabriella Marvaldi, and her partner, Daniel Villeneuve, switched to skating for Canada last season. They haven't competed much (if at all?) because I believe there have been some injury issues.

Well I suppose it is a smart thing at least for them to switch to skating for Canada rather than the U.S., in terms of opportunities to make a move competitively as they grow and improve. I hope their injury difficulties are fully solved safely and soon.

Colonel Green

Here's hoping they resolve that, then we can get a good, bitter cousins rivalry going!

Rock2

Here's hoping they resolve that, then we can get a good, bitter cousins rivalry going!

Sounds like fun but dunno about that. I haven't watched Marvaldi in awhile but I remember wondering to myself if she'll ever land a strong 2F never mind a throw.

I'm hoping things have changed substantially for the better for her.

Rock2

Already Brasseur/Bardei are skating with much more confidence compared to the summer skate. Most of the big work will be on them/her centering lifts and her landings on sbs jumps and throws. She goes deep in the knee and doesn't appear very strong on the landings. That issue is my biggest worry as I'm not sure how easy that will be to correct. If this can be fixed in the next year they should have a very high ceiling.

DFO

I like Brasseur/Bardei but I'm sorry that Justine had to move to senior (Bardei is too old for jr). She could have been really competitive in junior, especially this year. But when you find the right partner, you have to make some compromise. I wish them a lot of success!

Rafter

Just watched Walsh and Michaud’s SP from Nebelhorn. What a terrible program/choreography. Hard fall on the throw. I’m just not seeing it with them, long term. Not enough height difference. She needs someone taller, he someone much shorter.

Rafter

I have say after this week's event in SLC I'm searching for a reason to avoid having to say that it's likely just not going to happen for R/W. I'm running out of reasons and I'm pretty much to that point.

I'm heartbroken. Just awful skating and programs. Even if one of them was sick or something unsual had happened this week I'm just not feeling it with them anymore. Le sigh.

We can add Walsh and Michaud to the list of awful skating and programs.

Dear Evelyn Walsh, can you call Charlie Bilodeau back please?!

Skate Talker

The FS lifts of Walsh & Michaud were really very good. That's where the lack of height difference matters the most. The way they relate to each other on the ice in the FS is great too. For whatever reason they seem to have lost confidence in the jumps where the height issue should actually make the elements look more matched. Hope they can get this aspect back soon.

barbarafan

The FS lifts of Walsh & Michaud were really very good. That's where the lack of height difference matters the most. The way they relate to each other on the ice in the FS is great too. For whatever reason they seem to have lost confidence in the jumps where the height issue should actually make the elements look more matched. Hope they can get this aspect back soon.
I did find the speed and flow of their program is definitely improved and their lifts are solid for sure. I am not getting Evelyn's prob. with jumps as she has been very near the top of the list of junior girls. It is early...Very hopeful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information