Canadian Pairs 2018/2019 Season News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sk8mom123

The points required to get the minimums for 4CC or even Worlds are not that high. Personally, I think it’s better to get out there and get the minimums because what if they are sick or injured later on in the year?

I don’t believe that this year’s minimums have been established but for reference, last year’s World minimums were 25 in the SP and 43 in the FP. The 4CC minimums were obviously lower. At Georges-Ethiers, Brasseur and Bardei scored 34.5 in the SP and 48.94 with a lot of mistakes in the FP. Obviously international judging would be different, but these posts about how sending them out would be “a disaster” are ridiculous.
Totally agree maybe there is another reason they are not getting sent out. They have a release but would they need anything else?

RoseRed

Totally agree maybe there is another reason they are not getting sent out. They have a release but would they need anything else?
I don't think there's anything else they need if he's been released.

Someone did point out in this thread that Quebec sectionals are the same weekend. They may have wanted to compete there and decided to do Tallinn or Golden Spin. That would give them a chance to get the programs out one more time and get used to competing before they went out internationally. Also, their coaches will have other students at Sectionals and they have Alexandrovskaya/Windsor at CoR that weekend. I'm sure there's someone to go with them, but they may have decided it would be easier to do one of the other events. We'll have to see if they're at Tallinn or Golden Spin.

Colonel Green

The points required to get the minimums for 4CC or even Worlds are not that high. Personally, I think it’s better to get out there and get the minimums because what if they are sick or injured later on in the year?

I don’t believe that this year’s minimums have been established but for reference, last year’s World minimums were 25 in the SP and 43 in the FP. The 4CC minimums were obviously lower. At Georges-Ethiers, Brasseur and Bardei scored 34.5 in the SP and 48.94 with a lot of mistakes in the FP. Obviously international judging would be different, but these posts about how sending them out would be “a disaster” are ridiculous.
Yeah, I certainly think they could go right now, based on how they did in their recent Quebec event. But they still may prefer not to for the time being.

ChiquitaBanana

I don't think there's anything else they need if he's been released.

Someone did point out in this thread that Quebec sectionals are the same weekend. They may have wanted to compete there and decided to do Tallinn or Golden Spin. That would give them a chance to get the programs out one more time and get used to competing before they went out internationally. Also, their coaches will have other students at Sectionals and they have Alexandrovskaya/Windsor at CoR that weekend. I'm sure there's someone to go with them, but they may have decided it would be easier to do one of the other events. We'll have to see if they're at Tallinn or Golden Spin.

They ought to do Quebec sectionals and Challenge in order to be granted the right to compete at Nationals. They have no bye.

Erin

Banned Member
I'm not 100% about it but I think Bye are only valid for JGP, GP or JGP final skaters. I don't think you can get a bye for a senioir B competition

You can if it is the same weekend as the qualifying competition because a skater obviously can't be in two places at once.

Moustaffask8r

You can if it is the same weekend as the qualifying competition because a skater obviously can't be in two places at once.
Are you serious! I wasn't aware... :) some federation have rules for bye either medical or competitive... attending a JGP two weeks prior to qualifying competition give you a bye to move up to sectionals. There is a lot of senior B competition , it's easier to work your schedule around it

danafan

Canadian ladies über
A couple of years ago, Skate Canada sent Messing, Sadovsky, and Nadeau to Golden Spin, which was either the same week-end as challenge, or within a week. So they got byes and they actually increased the number of men competitors at nationals because of the extra byes. If Brasseur/Bardei were assigned to Golden Spin there wouldn't be any controversy about them getting a bye to nationals, and besides all senior pairs are going to advance anyway because of low numbers.

ChiquitaBanana

A couple of years ago, Skate Canada sent Messing, Sadovsky, and Nadeau to Golden Spin, which was either the same week-end as challenge, or within a week. So they got byes and they actually increased the number of men competitors at nationals because of the extra byes. If Brasseur/Bardei were assigned to Golden Spin there wouldn't be any controversy about them getting a bye to nationals, and besides all senior pairs are going to advance anyway because of low numbers.

I understand and I have re-read the bye rule. That is said, they have never competed technically in the Canadian qualifying system, if that can explain something.

barbarafan

Maybe Skate Canada are afraid if they are sent to an international with international judges that they will score too close to their favourite team. After all they made Camille and Drew withdraw from the long program at last competition. What is going on with them?

RoseRed

Maybe Skate Canada are afraid if they are sent to an international with international judges that they will score too close to their favourite team. After all they made Camille and Drew withdraw from the long program at last competition. What is going on with them?
Um what? Why would you assume that? Probably that was just the plan with R/W and their coaches.

dramagrrl

Can someone recap Charlie's interview in more detail? I am at work and won't be able to watch/listen/translate until late at night or even tomorrow, and I'm too curious to wait. :p

starrynight

The latest from Charlie (in French). He says he wants to settle on a new partner before winter is out and be ready to compete next season.

I'm surprised that a male partner of his quality hasn't been snapped up yet. Perhaps Russia is closing off the easier route of bringing over one of the many quality girls.

Any update on Julianne? I saw from her Instagram that she is back at the gym.

Colonel Green

I'm surprised that a male partner of his quality hasn't been snapped up yet. Perhaps Russia is closing off the easier route of bringing over one of the many quality girls.
Seems like he wants to take his time with it. And since an elite male pairs skater will always be in demand, he can afford to.

Post-SCI thoughts:

- After ACI I was kind of alarmed as to how KMT and Michael were going to do. We knew they had a loss of time over the summer due to Kirsten's injury, so it was to be expected that they wouldn't be in top form starting out, but all the same. However, their upward trajectory from ACI to Finlandia to SCI has been pretty sharp. They looked great at SCI; I'd say the silver medal was a coin flip between them and the Chinese, and they could have assured themselves of it if they'd stop using that stupid three-jump combination that never works.
- I was really, really worried about how things would go for Evelyn and Trennt after Evelyn's horrendous string of falls at Skate America, especially since they had basically no time between events. But, lo and behold, Evelyn's jump landings were back (mostly; 5 out of 6 is more than respectable).

barbarafan

Any update on Julianne? I saw from her Instagram that she is back at the gym.

Great news about Julianne. Perhaps pair girls are concerned about jumping in there in case they have a stroke of bad luck and get sick.

barbarafan

Actually they competed in the Summer Series ( part of the qualifying system) placing third and have a bye to Challenge from that.
@DFO B/B were not at sectionals. It is marked as MD? Do you know what that means? I have seen WD BYE and MD for others who did no compete. The french word for withdrawn Is retire with an accent on the last e.

Sk8mom123

Anyone know if Quebec Sectionals are archived somewhere? I’d like to watch but can’t seem to find it?

Colonel Green

I was going to say earlier, it looks like KMT and Michael have finally abandoned trying that 2A-Eu-3S combination in favour of a sequence starting with a 3S. Obviously the execution at NHK wasn't optimal, but I think that's a good decision that will pay off long-term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information