Autumn Weather Question

Susan1

Raining and 56 here Wednesday afternoon. Supposed to have gotten up to 60 with a low of 57 tonight. Hopefully rain ending before trick-or-treat at 6 p.m. Thursday but still windy and a low of 28. I wore two different weights of coats in the past week and a couple days just a fleece top. We had a few good days of leaves. Now they are all blowing off.

Susan1

Could we veer this off into trick-or-treat weather for a sec?
On my city's neighborhood FB page, one person mentioned that they should switch it to Saturday afternoons, and how it is going to be raining and windy and getting cold tonight. And people wrote back that kids today were wimps and they used to trick or treat in the snow (yeah, flurries, which are not as wet as rain - it's not like you trudged through a foot of snow uphill for two hours, for god's sake. I remember wearing my mom's big white sweater over my bride costume once.) and stuff. I can't comment on that page because people are vicious. One person said the other person was stupid for not planning ahead and going to an indoor costume party last weekend! So I just wanted to vent somewhere.

It's not that kids are wimps (yeah, they are, ha ha) today. They don't care about getting wet to get candy. The costumes and make-up get ruined, the candy gets wet, the leaves all over the place are slippery and it's harder to see kids in the dark, people can't sit outside to give out candy. Parents have to go out with kids now and they will be miserable and grumpy. They'll come home wet and cold and tired and have to get up for school tomorrow. How can that even be fun? That's just off the top of my head. I'm done. Thank you.

annie720

Could we veer this off into trick-or-treat weather for a sec?
On my city's neighborhood FB page, one person mentioned that they should switch it to Saturday afternoons, and how it is going to be raining and windy and getting cold tonight. And people wrote back that kids today were wimps and they used to trick or treat in the snow (yeah, flurries, which are not as wet as rain - it's not like you trudged through a foot of snow uphill for two hours, for god's sake. I remember wearing my mom's big white sweater over my bride costume once.) and stuff. I can't comment on that page because people are vicious. One person said the other person was stupid for not planning ahead and going to an indoor costume party last weekend! So I just wanted to vent somewhere.

It's not that kids are wimps (yeah, they are, ha ha) today. They don't care about getting wet to get candy. The costumes and make-up get ruined, the candy gets wet, the leaves all over the place are slippery and it's harder to see kids in the dark, people can't sit outside to give out candy. Parents have to go out with kids now and they will be miserable and grumpy. They'll come home wet and cold and tired and have to get up for school tomorrow. How can that even be fun? That's just off the top of my head. I'm done. Thank you.
In upstate NY and the Philly area where I have family, the forecast is for severe storms this evening, possibly tornadoes. That would definitely keep me from sending my kids out. My son recently bought his first house and he and his gf were excitedly carving pumpkins yesterday and looking forward to tonight. In a neighborhood with no street lights, houses far apart, and bath weather. I doubt they will see any activity.

Susan1

It's gone from 57 to 49 in six hours. Wind advisory from 3 p.m. (all those blow up things in yards are going to blow away - and kids too) till 2 a.m. and a freeze WARNING from 11 p.m. till 11 a.m. Showers and snow flurries during trick-or-treat. Who would make their kids go out in that? Stay home and eat the candy you bought. They did have a trick or treat party in an upscale apartment complex's parking garage last night. Maybe people watching the weather went to that.

paskatefan

The rain pretty much held off in the Philly area so that families could fit in their trick or treating after all (late afternoon/early evening). We did get heavy rain later in the evening. My husband woke me up @ 11:55 PM to alert me to a tornado warning in effect until 12:02 AM, so we went down to the basement for that.

Temps here should be much colder today - mid 50's as opposed to yesterday's mid 70's.

Everyone, stay safe in the path of all the bizarre weather! 🙏

skatesindreams

First "cooler" weather arrives in Central Florida today, after weeks of heat.
Already in the 30's in the Panhandle.

This won't last...although it may end the 90 degree/above temperatures for this year!

Susan1

On the 6:00 news, they said there were over 1000 power outages in this county from the wind. One person on our city FB page said their neighborhood couldn't turn on their porch lights and there were no street lights, so no kids. It was 35* at 6:30. Three outlying communities had already switched their trick-or-treat to this Saturday. It will only be two days late. Halloween is October 31, but trick or treat doesn't have to be on October 31. I remember them having it on the 30th when the 31st was on a Wednesday because it interfered with protestant churches services. I don't know if they still move it. And I remember it being on a Sunday afternoon once when I was a kid. I don't know why - Sunday night services?

Cachoo

I was listening to a podcast from South Carolina and the host said the Halloween high was 85ish. Yuk. I like chilly weather this time of the year.

Susan1

rain changing to wet snow today (only sticking on grass and cars). The temperature has gone down about 10 degrees since 6 a.m. I'm declaring this the unofficial grilled cheese day. ha ha It's officially on April 12, which doesn't make sense. It should be a cold, yucky day.

I went to Kroger yesterday about 3 p.m. in a light jacket and it was like a zoo. People stocking up for the big storm?

50 on Sunday, low of 17 Tuesday night (might be a record low).

quartz

scratching at the light
We are getting our first snowfall - lots of big fluffy flakes coming down, its very pretty. Thank goodness the husband put my snow tires on my car this weekend and dug the snowbrush out the garage for me.

annie720

We’re on a road trip and just left Rochester NY headed for Ithaca. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow... :).

Susan1

Last one for the roller coaster? 61 and sunny right now, rain changing to snow tomorrow (which is why I took my coupons to the veteran's day sale at Kohl's today - wearing a sweatshirt), low of 11 on Tuesday night. It's only supposed to get down to 41 tonight, so I will put the flannel sheets on tomorrow.

quartz

scratching at the light
Its officially late fall/very early winter - I’ve cranked the heat up to 67-68F for the day, 62F for overnight.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
It's 64F in the Dallas/Fort Worth area right now (9ish am) but it's going to get down to 24F tonight. Welcome to my Canada visitors who are coming in today. I'll bet they thought they were leaving the cold behind.

Susan1

Good grief - it's 53* at 11 a.m. There is a winter weather advisory from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m. for probably 1-3 inches of snow. Low of 20* tonight. Ridiculous.

Susan1

Good grief - it's 53* at 11 a.m. There is a winter weather advisory from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m. for probably 1-3 inches of snow. Low of 20* tonight. Ridiculous.
Update - at 6:30 p.m. it was 32* and the grass was about half covered with snow. 50's mid-next week again. I remember a lot of warm Thanksgivings and Friday afters though.

gkelly

First day of the season on which the number school buses passed en route to work (32) exceeded the number of degrees Fahrenheit (29).

Japanfan

We have had a lovely, relatively warm and dry fall in the PNW (between 8 and 12 C this week). But the rainy season is soon to start. Supposed to rain for several days in a row this week.

Last edited:

Susan1

Still here - it was 8* at 6 a.m. yesterday, 30* this morning. The normal is 50's during the day, mid 30's at night. The 10 day forecast says we are not going to get there. Limited chance for precipitation though.

Edited to add - oh, yeah - on our weather last night. They said we broke the record low for that date at 5*. AND just six weeks ago we broke the record high for that date at 94*.

Last edited:

Anjelica

Still here - it was 8* at 6 a.m. yesterday, 30* this morning. The normal is 50's during the day, mid 30's at night. The 10 day forecast says we are not going to get there. Limited chance for precipitation though.

Edited to add - oh, yeah - on our weather last night. They said we broke the record low for that date at 5*. AND just six weeks ago we broke the record high for that date at 94*.
You must be in Michigan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information