2024 Four Continents/Junior Worlds/Worlds US Team Speculation

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
in dance why are Z and K the third alternate, after the great performance at four continents why are they left back in this position? Because of US nationals? I’d go with International judging.
The USFS adhered pretty strictly to Nats results in every discipline except women.

Notably, they aren't sending Everhardt out to try and obtain the TES mins AND they skipped over Clare Seo, who finished ahead of Starr at Nats.

The other "skip" they made was not even bothering to assign the Mokhovs as #3 alternates despite them having the TES mins. Then again, the Mokhovs shouldn't be getting assignments (or the increase in Team Envelope Funding as a 3rd alternate) just because the pool of teams we have that are internationally eligible is temporarily smaller than normal.

Tinycities

I’m confused why Green/Parsons are first alternate when they shared that they are dealing with injuries.

Karen-W

So is Sarah’s season affectively over? They’re not sending her anywhere?
Well, Coupe de Printemps entries aren't due until next week, I think, so they could send her out to that.

What blows my mind is they named Martins/Bedard pending TES mins but they aren't even officially (as on 1/31) confirmed participants at Challenge Cup. I presume the USFS has additional information that makes them believe MarBed will be able to compete there, so that's good.

Karen-W

I’m confused why Green/Parsons are first alternate when they shared that they are dealing with injuries.
The only logical reason I can think of is Team Envelope Funding for next season. Due to their 4th at Nats they're in B1 whereas Pate/Bye and Zingas/Kolesnik are in B2 due to their 5th & 6th place finishes. Absolutely no one has their envelope changed by these alternate selections.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
What blows my mind is they named Martins/Bedard pending TES mins but they aren't even officially (as on 1/31) confirmed participants at Challenge Cup. I presume the USFS has additional information that makes them believe MarBed will be able to compete there, so that's good.

USFSA has seen my enthusiasm and is now consulting me. Everything is very on the hush-hush.

Stephanie

Well, Coupe de Printemps entries aren't due until next week, I think, so they could send her out to that.

FWIW USFS updated their international assignments page yesterday and Challenge Cup is back on there, so somebody must be going. This would be a better fit for team Malinina/Skorniakov to take Sarah Everhardt and Lucius Kazanecki since Coupe de Printemps is a week before worlds, when presumably both parents would prefer to be in the US focusing on Ilia. Hopefully we'll find out soon from either the Challenge Cup organizers or USFS.

Twizwiz

Oh, for pity's sake... I am quite sure that all of these young skaters are exposed to similar thoughts and opinions by people at their own rinks. What is being said on a random internet forum is hardly the first time nor will it be the last time they hear these kind of comments. Perhaps their time would be better spent improving their jump rotations.
Hey! Just want to chime in and say you’re absolutely wrong. A lot of top level skaters do read this forum and negative comments do effect people. Not that you would care 😊

Karen-W

Hey! Just want to chime in and say you’re absolutely wrong. A lot of top level skaters do read this forum and negative comments do effect people. Not that you would care 😊
Oh, you are correct. I do not care if anything I say here bothers top level skaters. They read public forums by their own choice and if what they read affects them then that is the risk they are taking. They need to own that choice as much as I own my words and determine whether or not the risk of reading a public forum is worth the toll it may or may not take on their mental health.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap

Karen didn't say they don't read it. She said they are likely exposed to it in their own rinks.

That being said, people on an online skating forum will never refrain from criticizing any skater just in case they read it. If you decide to go looking, you have to accept you may not like what you find.

Twizwiz

Karen didn't say they don't read it. She said they are likely exposed to it in their own rinks.

That being said, people on an online skating forum will never refrain from criticizing any skater just in case they read it. If you decide to go looking, you have to accept you may not like what you find.
And I’m saying that’s not true, at least from my own experience the things said at rinks do not compare to these forums 😂 and I also disagree with the sentiment that just because it’s an online skating forum it excuses some of the mean things said about skaters and their accomplishments.

Karen-W

And I’m saying that’s not true, at least from my own experience the things said at rinks do not compare to these forums 😂 and I also disagree with the sentiment that just because it’s an online skating forum it excuses some of the mean things said about skaters and their accomplishments.
🤷‍♀️ and others who do have plenty of rink life experience have stated otherwise. Just because you haven't experienced doesn't mean it isn't happening.

But, really, if a skater wants or needs validation for their accomplishments then they can go find their fan thread over in The Trash Can. If there isn't one, they can start it and go from there.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap

Your own experience is that people don’t say nasty things in rinks? Hard to imagine.

And sorry, but no one is saying mean thinks in this thread. There are mean thing that have been said in other threads, and they generally get called out, but if a skater can’t handle a pretty measured discussion of who should get alternate spots, they need to curate their own experience. You may as well.

Twizwiz

Oh, you are correct. I do not care if anything I say here bothers top level skaters. They read public forums by their own choice and if what they read affects them then that is the risk they are taking. They need to own that choice as much as I own my words and determine whether or not the risk of reading a public forum is worth the toll it may or may not take on their mental health.
When it's nasty comments about things like a skater's appearance, sure. But I'm not sure a discussion of who gets what spot falls into that category.
🤷‍♀️ and others who do have plenty of rink life experience have stated otherwise. Just because you haven't experienced doesn't mean it isn't happening.

But, really, if a skater wants or needs validation for their accomplishments then they can go find their fan thread over in The Trash Can. If there isn't one, they can start it and go from there.
Fair point. Skaters should steer clear of these forums but it can be hard when the whole sport is about being judged on people’s opinions

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Fair point. Skaters should steer clear of these forums but it can be hard when the whole sport is about being judged on people’s opinions
luckily none of it is being judged by our opinions we're just cranky old people who spend too much time obsessing over blades attached to people's feet

although I would adore it if a skater came and started their own cheer thread that's hilarious and a power move

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Oh, they do, just not here.
I don't doubt that, it's just that bulletin boards are so old school and for a young(er) person to wander on here and be like "I'm going to use this archaic technology just to talk up myself" it's just so funny to me (although there is some discussion to be had about whether we should be returning to board models as opposed to using places like discord as a database but that's something else entirely)

Stephanie

There wasn’t an ideal place to put it, but Coupe du Printemps entries are out and there are no US skaters, even though this event is on the USFS international assignments page. 😢

I hope USFS has chosen another event to send skaters to instead. Triglav seems like the only highish profile option. There are a number of skaters who could use a post-nationals assignment, IMO: Kazanecki, Everhardt, Johnson (junior ladies), etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information