U.S. Ice Dance 2023-24 news & updates

ice coverage

MIDA has just posted an Instagram story clip of Jean-Luc Baker teaching in Canton.

ETA that Charlie has reposted it. :) I counted 12 skaters on the ice with Charlie.

I think I‘m able to recognize everyone except the lady standing between Dima & Michael. Any idea who that is?

No but can you list everyone you recognize? I saw Green/Parsons, Bratti/Somerville, Mullen/Mullen, Tsarevski, Yahli Pedersen (between Michael & Caroline) and Jeffrey Chen ...

From left to right, I see Brendan Mullen, Jeffrey Chen, Emily Bratti, Ian Somerville, Caroline Mullen, Caroline Green, Yahli Pedersen, Michael Parsons, unknown young woman (maybe in National Development Camp jacket???), Dimitry Tsarevski, Raffaella Koncius, Alexey Shchepetov.
Icing on the cake for me is that Charlie White is beaming with such a "proud papa" look. :)

Side note that IIRC, Koncius/Shchepetov recently said on Instastory that JLB is choreographing one of their new programs? I don't remember whether it was RD or FD ... maybe FD?
JLB is seen for a second in Apr 4 mini-video of K/S training. https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5Wgoc4PqKU/

Last edited:

mtnskater

Well honestly I was pretty shocked that Pedersen and Chen split. After only one season? He knew she was not used to partner dance when they paired up so I thought he was in it for the long haul to give her time to catch up. I thought she was promising and they were well matched. But who knows what went on behind the scenes. But changing two partners is going to really set him back. If he starts again with a third partner, even if she is more ready for prime time than Yahli, it will take a few seasons to gel. I think he is a fantastic skater and very talented. But I think he needs to stay with a partner at this point. I don’t see him with Loraine. Their lines don’t match at all. He is more refined and needs someone with his lines and extension. But who is available? I’m drawing a blank except for Avonley and she seems focused off the ice.

Also shocked about Hauer and Starr. Both were such good ice dancers and have skated together for a long time. I know competition is very deep in the U.S. so maybe with all the blood, sweat and tears it takes to get to their level, one or both just couldn’t continue given the dim prospects for getting many assignments in seniors?

I’m still not over the Silverstein/Pekarek split, let alone the Nguyen/Kolesnik split :(:rofl:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Well honestly I was pretty shocked that Pedersen and Chen split. After only one season? He knew she was not used to partner dance when they paired up so I thought he was in it for the long haul to give her time to catch up. I thought she was promising and they were well matched. But who knows what went on behind the scenes. But changing two partners is going to really set him back. If he starts again with a third partner, even if she is more ready for prime time than Yahli, it will take a few seasons to gel. I think he is a fantastic skater and very talented. But I think he needs to stay with a partner at this point. I don’t see him with Loraine. Their lines don’t match at all. He is more refined and needs someone with his lines and extension. But who is available? I’m drawing a blank except for Avonley and she seems focused off the ice.

Also shocked about Hauer and Starr. Both were such good ice dancers and have skated together for a long time. I know competition is very deep in the U.S. so maybe with all the blood, sweat and tears it takes to get to their level, one or both just couldn’t continue given the dim prospects for getting many assignments in seniors?

I’m still not over the Silverstein/Pekarek split, let alone the Nguyen/Kolesnik split :(:rofl:
We never forget. But at least I’m not longing for Emily Samuelson.

Stephanie

With Chen, maybe Yahli was the best partner option that he could find last spring and thought this was better than spending a season partnerless and not competing. Just my guess here.

I’m really sad about Hauer/Starr. I wonder how much his back injury this past season (IIRC even by nationals he was still dealing with a lot of pain) factored into their decision.

Sylvia

TBD
North Dakota local TV news segment on Neset/Markelov before they performed in her club's shows in Minot, a.k.a. "Magic City" (March 29):
The chemistry they’ve developed on and off the ice is real. Wouldn’t you know it, they’re engaged and will get married later this year. As for the million-dollar question:
“It’s everyone’s dream to be able to compete at the Olympics one day, so yeah, we’re definitely hoping to be there one day,” said Artem.
“Yeah, we’ll just keep working hard and see where it takes us!” said Leah.
But for now, the duo of Neset-Markelov will keep making their mark one dance at a time.
Since Leah spends much of the day practicing, many may wonder how she’s finishing school.
Her dad Kris said she completes coursework online and is on track to graduate this year.
Kris also said Artem is working on his U.S. Citizenship.
Magic City FSC's "Senior Spotlight" post last month featuring Leah: https://www.instagram.com/magiccityfsc/reel/C4v6rN4rt8W/

Sylvia

TBD
April 8:
MIDA has just posted an Instagram story clip of Jean-Luc Baker teaching in Canton.

ETA that Charlie has reposted it. :) I counted 12 skaters on the ice with Charlie.
I think I‘m able to recognize everyone except the lady standing between Dima & Michael. Any idea who that is?
From left to right, I see Brendan Mullen, Jeffrey Chen, Emily Bratti, Ian Somerville, Caroline Mullen, Caroline Green, Yahli Pedersen, Michael Parsons, unknown young woman (maybe in National Development Camp jacket???), Dimitry Tsarevski, Raffaella Koncius, Alexey Shchepetov.
Icing on the cake for me is that Charlie White is beaming with such a "proud papa" look. :)
Mystery solved? Lianne Fan (will turn 15 on June 3): https://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=7628
She placed 8th in Novice with Wiles Middlekauff at the U.S. Ice Dance Final in November 2023.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
And Carhart/Horovyi are done. He has retired and she is looking for a new partner.

skatingguy

decently
And Carhart/Horovyi are done. He has retired and she is looking for a new partner.

Sorry, wrong team.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

I've been hearing rumors of a split there. Hope she can find someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information