U.S. Ice Dance 2021-22 season news & updates

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Observation: The Mullens are on the ISP with a 127.35 at last year's Junior Nationals. Perhaps Bland & Sperry's score at the Dallas Texas Open will be enough to get them listed?
I don't see any harm in adding them to the ISP. Thought they looked credible at the Dallas Classic.

Of the teams I saw today, I'd say that Neset/Markelov are far ahead with their complete package. The next tier of teams are good, too, but are in a developmental stage, needing to polish either technical skills or performance quality or both to reach that next level. Bland/Sperry fit in nicely in that group. Frankly, I liked Epps/Gillman, too; too bad they had an unfortunate technical mistake today, but they have nice spark. And I agree with @Dobre that US Figure Skating should wait for Lake Placid to make final determinations of later JGP initial assignments.

Any word yet on whether Wolfkostin/Chen or the Browns are moving up?

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I hope USFS will wait for Lake Placid before making any borderline assignment decisions.
Don't they usually? I would anticipate that Neset/Markelov will be assigned to the first JGP in Courchevel, along with a lower-ranked team like the Peals or Carhart/Horovyi; and the 2nd & 3rd JGPs will probably have Pham/Rogers and Hauer/Starr assigned along with whichever of the 2 teams that don't go to France in August, plus one other. None of the 6 teams are clearly outpacing the others, so it's probably going to be a mix-and-match to see how they score internationally during the first 4 JGPs.

I don't see any harm in adding them to the ISP. Thought they looked credible at the Dallas Classic.

Of the teams I saw today, I'd say that Neset/Markelov are far ahead with their complete package. The next tier of teams are good, too, but are in a developmental stage, needing to polish either technical skills or performance quality or both to reach that next level. Bland/Sperry fit in nicely in that group. Frankly, I liked Epps/Gillman, too; too bad they had an unfortunate technical mistake today, but they have nice spark. And I agree with @Dobre that US Figure Skating should wait for Lake Placid to make final determinations of later JGP initial assignments.

It would be surprising if they didn't since both are ranked in the WS Top 24. My GP projection would have them getting two GP assignments (they're guaranteed one) - we'll see. The US is going to be packing the GP fields in dance this season. We could have 8 or 9 teams with assignments when the initial assignments come out - and most of those are likely to get two (Chock/Bates, Hawayek/Baker, Green/Parsons, Carreira/Ponomarenko, Brown/Brown, Wolfkostin/Chen, Bratti/Somerville, Pate/Bye, maybe Cesanek/Yehorov), and lots of teams vying for a likely SkAm TBD (Pate/Bye, Cesanek/Yehorov, Ling/Wein, McNamara/Spiridonov, Zingas/Kolesnik).

Dobre

Frankly, I liked Epps/Gillman, too; too bad they had an unfortunate technical mistake today, but they have nice spark.

I have been an Epps & Gilman fan since they were in juveniles. They are one of the reasons I hope USFS will wait. Might not make it this year as it is a big jump up, but they have always been so musical & charming. I'd like to think they have a shot. Also, the Dallas Texas Open has a history of high scores that don't always hold up for teams later in the season. It's just nice to have a more complete picture and see teams have more than one outing before those borderline berths get assigned or, worse, thrown away. Anyway, Lake Placid is back to being held in July so that should be early enough to have the placements there considered.

Don't they usually?
Yes, usually; but Lake Placid was held a little later than normal in 2019, and I thought they handed out one spot too early, plus threw one away too early that season.
I don't think we've heard anything decisive yet. I do think there was a quote from the Browns saying something along the lines of thinking that they've done everything they could do in juniors. We will find out for certain soon.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Could someone share the music choices of the teams competing in Dallas Classic?Thanks!
Lorraine McNamara/Anton Spiridonov - "Rain in Your Black Eyes"
Emilea Zingas/Vadym Kolesnik - Phillip Glass "Metamorphosis" and violin concerto; "Truman Sleeps" from The Truman Show
Raffaella Koncius/Alexey Shchepetov - W.E. soundtrack
Jenna Hertenstein/Damian Binkowski - Arabian music

Junior FD music:

Neset/Markalov - Pirates of the Caribbean
Stanley/Sosnenko - Masquerade Waltz
Larson/Young - "Steppin Out With my Baby"/"Don't Mean a Thing"
Epps/Gilman - Bruno Mars "Talking to the Moon" and "Runaway Baby"
Phillips/Anderson - Hunger Games soundtrack
The Peals - Halo soundtracks
Hauer/Starr - Pina soundtrack

coralline

Emilea Zingas/Vadym Kolesnik - Phillip Glass "Metamorphosis" and violin concerto; "Truman Sleeps" from The Truman Show

Junior FD music:

Thank you soooo much!

ice coverage

From a friend who attended Dallas Classic, this is a family of 3 girls and 1 boy. I didn't realize girl/girl dance partnership for competition was allowed, but do think it's cool.

Disclaimer that I was not at Dallas Classic, and do not know the family.
But I wonder whether there is any chance of a misunderstanding here -- for example, about the composition of the family and/or the possibility of a male cousin with the same last name being one of the dance partners? :unsure: (I'm thinking back to the partnership of Danny Moir and Sheri Moir.)

FWIW:
- Bryndolin competed in Preliminary Girls in 2021. Ryedin competed in Intermediate Men in 2021.
As dance partners, Bryndolin and Ryedin placed third together in Dallas.
- Looking at ice-dance.com's photos of Cianin and Brysin together from 2021 Intermediate Dance, I would say that they appear to my eyes to be a female+male partnership??​
Again, FWIW.

SherryL

Disclaimer that I was not at Dallas Classic, and do not know the family.
But I wonder whether there is any chance of a misunderstanding here -- for example, about the composition of the family and/or the possibility of a male cousin with the same last name being one of the dance partners? :unsure: (I'm thinking back to the partnership of Danny Moir and Sheri Moir.)

FWIW:
- Bryndolin competed in Preliminary Girls in 2021. Ryedin competed in Intermediate Men in 2021.​
As dance partners, Bryndolin and Ryedin placed third together in Dallas.​
- Looking at ice-dance.com's photos of Cianin and Brysin together from 2021 Intermediate Dance, I would say that they appear to my eyes to be a female+male partnership??​
Again, FWIW.
There might be a misunderstanding since I don't know the family either and I wasn't there. It was a comment from a friend who was at Dallas. I was excited by the possibility of such partnership. Sorry about this.

Last edited:

azcalder

Junior FD music:

Pham & Rogers - Scheherazade

Stephanie

Update: Top 10 summer scores for junior teams.

(Teams in bold are currently on the ISP. Let me know if you see any corrections that I need to make).

Neset & Markelov-160.13 (Dallas Texas Open)
Pham & Rogers-140.77 (Dallas Texas Open)
Hauer & Starr-140.70 (Dallas Texas Open)
Carhart & Horovyi-136.17 (Chesapeake)
The Peals-135.55 (Dallas Texas Open)
Bland & Sperry-130.86 (Dallas Texas Open)
Epps & Gilman-108.90 (Dallas Texas Open)
O'Brien & Wei-103.91 (Dallas Texas Open
L'Esperance & Amdour-102.99 (Chesapeake)
Larson & Young-101.06 (Dallas Texas Open)

Mullen & Mullen-none yet.

Observation: The Mullens are on the ISP with a 127.35 at last year's Junior Nationals. Perhaps Bland & Sperry's score at the Dallas Texas Open will be enough to get them listed?
Bland and Sperry are now listed in the ISP. Zingas/Kolesnik are another new addition.

ice coverage

New junior couple of Zoe Larson and Andrii Kapran are in RD and FD start orders for this week's Orange Blossom Open in Florida.
They both are representing Florida Everblades FSC.
Scroll down for link to live stream: https://tampabayskatingclub.org/orange-blossom/

Kapran represented Ukraine in 2021 JGPs with Myroslava Tkachenko.
In Jan 2022, they placed second at Ukrainian Junior Nationals.
Kapran is a former partner of Nadiia Bashynska.

Larson was 2018 U.S. intermediate pairs champion with Nick Hubbart.
Also has competed in solo dance and singles.

(Other Orange Blossom junior entries: Carhart/Horovyi; Anabelle Larson/Jonathan Young; and for FD only, Turkey's Jillian Prever/Agahan Dortkol, who train in Florida.
The only senior entry is Koncius/Shchepetov.)

Last edited:

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
New junior couple of Zoe Larson and Andrii Kapran are in RD and FD start orders for this week's Orange Blossom Open in Florida.
They both are representing Florida Everblades FSC.
Thanks, I will re-post the links in the U.S. NQS & Club Competitions thread in the Kiss & Cry section. :)

ETA: Randi Strong had posted a few Instagram stories last month about working with Larson/Kapran and other Zoueva teams in Florida last month - good to see their new partnership is confirmed now.

Last edited:

coralline

Three junior RDs from Orange Blossom Open:

https://b23.tv/ZzdWkEZ

Koncius/Shchepetov‘s Sr RD:

Last edited:

Dobre

Update: Top 10 summer scores for junior teams.
(Teams in bold are currently on the ISP. Let me know if you see any corrections that I need to make).

Neset & Markelov-160.13 (Dallas Classic)
Pham & Rogers-140.77 (Dallas Classic)
Hauer & Starr-140.70 (Dallas Classic)
Carhart & Horovyi-136.59 (Orange Blossom Open)
The Peals-135.55 (Dallas Classic)
Bland & Sperry-130.86 (Dallas Classic)
Larson & Kapran-126.99 (Orange Blossom Open)
Epps & Gilman-108.90 (Dallas Classic)
Larson & Young-106.51 (Orange Blossom Open)
O'Brien & Wei-103.91 (Dallas Classic)

Mullen & Mullen-none yet.

*Technically, I believe the RD and FD events at the Orange Blossom Open were separate events. I just added the scores.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Re-posting here from the U.S. & NQS Club Competitions thread in the Kiss & Cry section:
[At Orange Blossom today] Carhart/Horovyi's FD music is "Another Love" by Tom Odell - I enjoyed their performance, as well as Z. Larson/Kapran's (perhaps to a Ukrainian song in tribute to his homeland?).
Koncius/Shchepetov's FD music was to the W.E. film soundtrack by Abel Korzeniowski.
ETA that IDC's Dallas Classic photo galleries are up:
More content from Dallas Classic should be coming soon!

Last edited:

coralline

^^^ Just to be nitpicky, the official competition names are Dallas Classic and Orange Blossom Open. ;)

Re-posting here from the U.S. & NQS Club Competitions thread in the Kiss & Cry section:

ETA that IDC's Dallas Classic photo galleries are up:

Is there no replay of Orange Blossom‘s live stream?I missed the FD…

ice coverage

... ETA that IDC's Dallas Classic photo galleries are up:

Thanks to IDC for Dallas photos of all levels and for additional Dallas coverage to come. 👍

Also to Figure Skaters Online for its photos of Dallas seniors and juniors. 📷

I‘ve just realized that according to detailed score at Dallas Classic,two SR dance teams performed Choreographic Assisted Jump ...

Could anyone went to the competition tell us what was it look like?

Because of this question in the Dance Hall thread, will mention that Orange Blossom protocol for Larson/Kapran's FD shows ChAJ1 as their final element, with +2 GOE from all four judges.
Big FWIW here, but my very rough description of what I saw via streaming would be sort of a series of three "mini" rotational lifts?? As he lifted her, both her upper body and legs were horizontal above the ice, and she spread her legs into a split of 90+ degrees.
Sorry for my clumsy description, but my general thought is that I would not have imagined a ChAJ to be something like that. Just FWIW. :unsure:

Last edited:

Sylvia

^^^ Thanks for the link, @airgelaal - I've re-posted it in the Dance Hall thread.

This question was asked in this thread back in March:
Any word on what's going on with Nguyen/Smirnov partnership? Is he even in USA right now?
FWIW, I've seen a couple of Grigory Smirnov's Instagram stories recently that indicate he is back in Moscow, so I think we can assume their partnership is over.

Link to the 2022-23 season thread for U.S. Ice Dance:

Dobre

^^^ Thanks for the link, @airgelaal

FWIW, I've seen a couple of Grigory Smirnov's Instagram stories recently that indicate he is back in Moscow, so I think we can assume their partnership is over.

Thanks for the heads up, @Sylvia. I am sorry if it did not work out for them, but they certainly hit some headwinds. New partnerships can be difficult enough in the best of times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information