U.S. Ice Dance 2023-24 news & updates

farahfan

I would guess the photographer doesn't follow junior ice dance and wasn't aware this was an engagement hundreds of strangers on the internet would have opinions about.
Lol yes, Nes Mark have a rapidly growing fanbase and this isn't something you can really hide.

Junior teams are so prone to breakups that it's nice to know my favorite team plans on sticking around for a while.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Ice-Dance.com interviewed Bratti/Somerville at Worlds:

Bratti continued, “We’ve met with a lot of people who’ve said that [the mistake] doesn’t change anyone’s thinking of us. We did go out and had an amazing skate until that. Everyone saw it.

“We didn’t get to do our Free Dance , but we’ve been in practice every day this week. People have been watching that. So either way, we got a lot of really good exposure here. Other than that one tiny thing, things have been going very, very well.”

After the event, the new Rhythm Dance music for season 2024-2025 was released to the skaters, coaches and choreographers.

“We just heard about five minutes ago that it would be the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s music,” Somerville said. “I’m very excited about it. Before this there was speculation about music before 2000, so I was already listening to a bunch of things in the 70’s. I hadn’t gone back to the 50’s and 60’s.

“There’s a lot of swing in that era – maybe jive and some rock, but a lot of cool styles to pick from. It’s a little broad, but at the same time it gives you a good window to look at. I’m excited.

My dad is really big into this music. He knows all the old artists. He’s always playing music from those eras, so I have some ideas. There’s a lot of good stuff. It’s probably going to be easier to find good Rhythm Dance music than for the Free Dance.”

Sylvia

TBD
Congrats to Blake Gilman on his acceptance to UPenn! :) It is my understanding that he and Julia Epps intend to continue training in the Philadelphia area.

ETA that he is a member of USFS' 2024 Scholastic Honors Team (Jan. 17 press release): https://www.usfigureskating.org/news/article/us-figure-skating-announces-2024-scholastic-honors-team
Blake Gilman is a student at Lower Merion High School in Pennsylvania; he represents the Peninsula SC. An ice dancer, Gilman participates in the novice and junior levels. Gilman was selected to represent Team USA at the 2023 Bavarian Open, where he placed second in the advanced novice division with partner Julia Epps. Gilman qualified for U.S. Championships the past two seasons and competed at the 2024 U.S. Championships. Gilman is a member of the Muslim Student Association at his school, volunteers as a coach for Special Olympics and helps facilitate food drives for the homeless in Philadelphia.
As well as Caroline Mullen:
Caroline Mullen attends Bishop O’Connell High School in Arlington, Virginia, and is a member of Washington FSC. An ice dancer, Mullen competes at the junior level with her partner and brother, Brendan Mullen. Mullen qualified for the 2024 U.S. Championships and will compete in the junior dance event this week. The team represented Team USA at Junior Grand Prix Austria in 2023, where they placed seventh. Mullen has been named to the National Honor Society and has maintained more than a 4.0 GPA throughout her four years at Bishop O’Connell. Mullen is an avid swimmer and has competed in several local and state competitions.
And Olivia Dietrich who also was an ice dancer:
Olivia Dietrich hails from Chevy Chase, Maryland, and represents the Washington FSC. Dietrich is a junior-level ice dance athlete and competed at the 2022 U.S. Championships at the junior level. Dietrich also competed in the 2022 U.S. Championship Series with her ice dance partner Eduard Pylypenko. She attends Sidwell Friends School, where she is a member of its honor society, a member of the Sidwell Student Ambassador Leadership Team and co-founder of the Sidwell Club (a student organization focused on supporting mental health and well-being on campus). Olivia loves to dive into art, both her own and the works of others.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
23 22 Ice Dance teams are listed in the ISP as of today - 2023-24 Senior/Junior Grand Prix Final/U.S. Ice Dance Final/YOG/Nationals/ISU Championships placements included below:

Kristina Bland and Matthew Sperry IDF-J7/J6
Emily Bratti and Ian Somerville S3/W23
Oona Brown and Gage Brown S8
Helena Carhart and Volodymyr Horovyi
Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko S2/4CC3/W7
Madison Chock and Evan Bates GPF1/S1/W1
Amy Cui and Kenny Eckert IDF-J6/J7 [have not yet formally notified USFS of their split? (eta that C/E’s names are removed now)
Julia Epps and Blake Gilman IDF-J9/J8
Isabella Flores and Ivan Desyatov IDF-S2/S7
Caroline Green and Michael Parsons S4/4CC6
Jenna Hauer and Benjamin Starr IDF-J1/J4
Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker
Olivia Ilin and Dylan Cain IDF-J4/YOG2
Raffaella Koncius and Alexey Shchepetov IDF-S4/S11
Angela Ling and Caleb Wein IDF-S3/S10
Caroline Mullen and Brendan Mullen IDF-J3/J5
Leah Neset and Artem Markelov JGPF1/J1/JW1
Eva Pate and Logan Bye S5
Elliana Peal and Ethan Peal IDF-J2/J3/JW5
Emily Renzi and William Lissauer IDF-J8/J9
Katarina Wolfkostin and Dimitry Tsarevski IDF-S1/S9
Grace Yi and Danila Savelev IDF-J5
Emilea Zingas and Vadym Kolesnik S6/4CC4

Last edited:

Jammers

The fact that Avonley Nguyen is still sitting at home not competing is a crime. Sort of like when Caitlin Yankowkas got dumped and never competed for the US ever again. How do two skaters like this only 17 and 20 and already champions when their partners broke up with them never find partners again in the US that is really unacceptable.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
The fact that Avonley Nguyen is still sitting at home not competing is a crime. Sort of like when Caitlin Yankowkas got dumped and never competed for the US ever again. How do two skaters like this only 17 and 20 and already champions when their partners broke up with them never find partners again in the US that is really unacceptable.
I feel the same about Siianytsia right now, and Nagy to a lesser extent. These are such talented pairs guys - how can we NOT have a single compatible female pairs skater for them to partner with?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
We know that Caitlin Yankowskas said she wanted to continue, tried out, and found an American partner, Joshua Reagan, with whom she was assigned to two GP's, but WD from both and from US Nats due to injury. The next year, she found a British partner, Hamish Gaman, and competed internationally with him for two seasons, after which they both retired.

Do we have any evidence that Avonley Nguyen wants to continue? Has she been on the IPS site? Been spotted at tryouts? Been training solo with coaches? Posted her wishes on Instagram?

nylynnr

I feel the same about Siianytsia right now, and Nagy to a lesser extent. These are such talented pairs guys - how can we NOT have a single compatible female pairs skater for them to partner with?

Liu & Nagy didn't end their partnership too long ago. How do you know Nagy hasn't found, or is in the process of finding, a partner?

As for Nguyen, unless I'm mistaken -- I may be -- but I believe SKATING magazine published an update that she had decided to retire from skating in order to pursue medical school. That's really not sitting at home.

ice coverage

Nor do we have any evidence as to who walked away from the Nguyen/Kolesnik partnership.
Maybe they both did?
If(????) one partner in particular did, I would not make any assumption as to which partner.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
As for Nguyen, unless I'm mistaken -- I may be -- but I believe SKATING magazine published an update that she had decided to retire from skating in order to pursue medical school. That's really not sitting at home.
I think people are just sad that a completely talented star is no longer skating. Medical school is probably way better but we are skating fans. :lol: I still secretly hope she ends up coming back but I know it’s delusional.
:blocjudge

chameleonster

Yahli has some nice qualities but I don't think she was ready for seniors. Making JGPF and JW has given her opportunities to develop and also raised her profile to make it easier for her to find a good partner to grow with.
She was 17 at the time. She can’t be going to medical school. Maybe premed?
Avonley made a brief comeback with Grigory Smirnov and retired in 2022. I'd love to see her back on the ice but she seems to be happier pursuing school.

ice coverage

Avonley Nguyen is featured in the Athlete Corner in this month’s Skating magazine, and the article says she has given up skating to pursue a career in sports medicine and orthopedics. I wish she had been able to continue in the sport because she was so talented, but I hope this next chapter will be great for her.

The first quoted post is from Feb 2023. Emphasis added.

I think usage of "pursue" in both first and second quoted posts is perfectly acceptable. 👍
From Merriam-Webster: "PURSUE suggests a continuing effort to overtake, reach, or attain."

Did anyone claim that she is going to medical school at present?
I did not interpret Spikefan's post that way.

In any case ... Avonley's Instastory has shown her making scholarly presentations at several conferences for sci/med professionals. I have no doubt that her pursuit :) of medical school and a medical career will be successful.
As nylynnr said, Avonley is not sitting at home.

Last edited:

barbk

There are some BS/MD programs where you automatically flow into the MD portion. I think a few of them only take 6 years or so in total, though most take the full 8. They are very, very tough admissions.

Dobre

Good. He is tall enough to skate with Lorraine, and they are both fast enough to skate with each other. There are other things that go into a partnership--like a lot of work and a lot of time--but a tryout should be a no brainer, IMO.

Last edited:

Lara111

Maybe they do not want to skate

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Ohh Lorraine is desperate. They shoukd get someone decent from Russia
McNamara is the most accomplished American female ice dancer who is partnerless and Chen is the most accomplished American male dancer that’s partnerless. Of course, they’re going to try out. Doesn’t mean they’ll be a good fit, but that’s the point of the tryout. And both having citizenship is a plus, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information