U.S. Ice Dance 2023-24 news & updates

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I think that two/three of Chock/Bates, Guignard/Fabbri, and Gilles/Poirier will stay in until 2026. It's possible that all three will, but health and personal lives may need to have a word.

If GrePar hadn't struggled this season, including with injury, it would have been fine with them and C/P preparing for a future without C/B. It's not that there aren't a lot of talented teams for US 4-10, but unless they were Soviet/Russian teams back when #2 would just slot into #1's place (or just off the podium) when #1 retired, new teams usually need a few seasons to establish themselves, and musical chairs for US 3 isn't the best case scenario going into a transition year. Gre/Par's 6th at their first Worlds was unusual, even as US #2. (H/B never made it that high.)

C/B have done the slow entry into Fall competition building towards Worlds, for the last couple of seasons. I think USFS should just let him/them heal this season and even let them skip the GP if they want to. If USFS wants to monitor the new programs, they can do that privately. It's not like USFS won't have the Men's World Champion on their Skate America roster, plus the Women's silver medalist. It would be great if his back could get better, and he can lift his children without pain in his future.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
C/B have done the slow entry into Fall competition building towards Worlds, for the last couple of seasons. I think USFS should just let him/them heal this season and even let them skip the GP if they want to. If USFS wants to monitor the new programs, they can do that privately. It's not like USFS won't have the Men's World Champion on their Skate America roster, plus the Women's silver medalist. It would be great if his back could get better, and he can lift his children without pain in his future.
That is one benefit (I use that word loosely) to SOI foregoing a US tour this year. ChoBat will have time to heal over the next couple months before the ISU Congress - is Evan still an ISU Athlete Rep? There should have been elections for that again at Worlds this year, right? And then their wedding, of course, a bit later in the summer. They can be brainstorming music and choreography ideas while Evan takes some time to heal before they really dig back into training during the late summer.

Barbara Manatee

and musical chairs for US 3 isn't the best case scenario going into a transition year.
I'm all for 2 or 3 teams jostling for the podium every year. I think it makes them better skaters and better competitors. And it's a lot more fun for the fans. I really enjoyed the years when the Shibs, Hubbell/Donohue, and Chock/Bates were trading places.

Debbie S

That is one benefit (I use that word loosely) to SOI foregoing a US tour this year. ChoBat will have time to heal over the next couple months before the ISU Congress - is Evan still an ISU Athlete Rep? There should have been elections for that again at Worlds this year, right? And then their wedding, of course, a bit later in the summer. They can be brainstorming music and choreography ideas while Evan takes some time to heal before they really dig back into training during the late summer.
I believe ISU athlete reps serve for 4 years, a whole Oly cycle. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Their wedding is in June, a week or two after Congress meets.

dancing_on_ice

Leah and Artem are getting married

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member

Leah and Artem are getting married
I didn't even know they were a couple off-ice! How nice.

zebobes

I got the vibes that they were a couple from their interactions, but what you see in performance isn't always the best indicator, because ice dancers have an incentive to act like they are in love.

I find it somewhat ironic that the two world champions, one senior and one junior, in Ice Dance are both getting married this summer, but for Artem I imagine a big motivation is citizenship for the 2026 Olympics. Would getting married this year give him enough time to get citizenship for Milan, or are they shooting for 2030?

Them getting married so young does make me a little uneasy, but I suppose both of them are now of age.

skipaway

RD Dance Party 50’s 60’s 70’s with
Get me to the Church on Time
Going to the Chapel
Let’s Stay Together

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I got the vibes that they were a couple from their interactions, but what you see in performance isn't always the best indicator, because ice dancers have an incentive to act like they are in love.

I find it somewhat ironic that the two world champions, one senior and one junior, in Ice Dance are both getting married this summer, but for Artem I imagine a big motivation is citizenship for the 2026 Olympics. Would getting married this year give him enough time to get citizenship for Milan, or are they shooting for 2030?

Them getting married so young does make me a little uneasy, but I suppose both of them are now of age.
No, there's not enough time for 2026 citizenship, it takes the foreign spouse 3+ years from the date of marriage. I don't think they have a realistic shot at the next Olys anyway, especially since it looks like ChoBat will stay in.

pixie cut

Is it possible that this is a joke or misunderstanding. The poster spoke about them being fifth at Jr Worlds in 2023 and not 1st in 2024. Wouldn't Leah and Artem be the ones to announce an engagement? Something is off here.

Jammers

It would really suck if they made the podium at Nationals in 2026 and not be able to go just like B/A in 2002. But the field is much deeper in US ice dance now then back in 2002 so it probably won't happen. I do think they are the most promising US Junior champions to come along in a decade at least though.

skatingguy

decently
Is it possible that this is a joke or misunderstanding. The poster spoke about them being fifth at Jr Worlds in 2023 and not 1st in 2024. Wouldn't Leah and Artem be the ones to announce an engagement? Something is off here.
I don't think the Instagram post is an engagement announcement, but just mentions that they will be photographing the wedding, and advertises an upcoming show in which the couple is performing. The Instagram account is the account of the photographer.

pixie cut

I don't think the Instagram post is an engagement announcement, but just mentions that they will be photographing the wedding, and advertises an upcoming show in which the couple is performing. The Instagram account is the account of the photographer.
The photographer speaks about them getting married this summer. Isn't that something they would do before the photographer?

Trillian

Just for reference, she turned 18 in December.

Congrats to them, but these very young skating marriages never fail to make me feel uneasy.

I feel that way about very young marriages in general, and even more so when you know citizenship concerns are probably speeding up the timeline.

However, two things I will say. A) I’ve always thought their general vibe was sweet and not in any way weird or predatory, and B) we cracked a lot of jokes about Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov’s marriage back in the day, but they’re still together IIRC. So, honestly, I have a hard time mustering up a lot of concern. They’re a cute couple, I hope it works out for them.

pixie cut

I feel that way about very young marriages in general, and even more so when you know citizenship concerns are probably speeding up the timeline.

However, two things I will say. A) I’ve always thought their general vibe was sweet and not in any way weird or predatory, and B) we cracked a lot of jokes about Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov’s marriage back in the day, but they’re still together IIRC. So, honestly, I have a hard time mustering up a lot of concern. They’re a cute couple, I hope it works out for them.
Melissa Gregory was 20 and Denis Petukhov 22 when they got married. They are still married after 23 years, so all we can say in reference to them is well done. Although it's not that many years apart, 18 and 20 just feels very different.

bwayrose7

It would really suck if they made the podium at Nationals in 2026 and not be able to go just like B/A in 2002. But the field is much deeper in US ice dance now then back in 2002 so it probably won't happen. I do think they are the most promising US Junior champions to come along in a decade at least though.
Agreed, although I feel like there's maybe a 5% chance of that even happening. Right now, I still stick by my prediction that ChoBa, CarPom, and GrPa will be the 2026 Olympic team, unless injury or personal matters cause a shake-up. CarPom have done exactly what they needed to do: excel at a moment where their closest domestic rivals are faltering, and open that gap between them and the rest of the field. I think GrPa will rebound after this season, especially now that we know they were dealing with injury and not just growing pains/weak programs. I just think their ceiling is higher than a team like ZingKol (who I also enjoy watching).

Within the next two seasons, I would expect to see NesMark leapfrog some of the mid-tier teams - most likely the Browns, WolfTsar, FlorDes, PateBye - and wind up in the upper-mid pack with BratSom and ZingKol. I do think they're the American junior-to-senior team I'm most excited about since my beloved Hawayek/Baker a decade ago!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information