U.S. Ice Dance 2023-24 news & updates

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
CPom came through at Worlds, great score. 7th overall and my feeling is they have established themselves as US #2 and maybe #1 depending on what C/B do. Anyway, I find them much better than all of the rest and I also think Z/K will be rising more. I have a heart for Pate/Bye and hope they see some improvement. Not sure what will happen with H/B but if they return, I will be in their corner!

zigzig

C/B had the most interesting program out there - so happy they won.

I also love how C/P have really blossomed this season. Don't really see them moving into medal contention territory by 2026 but definitely for the next Olympic cycle if they choose to stick around (which I hope they would cuz they're still pretty young).

layman

C/B had the most interesting program out there - so happy they won.

I also love how C/P have really blossomed this season. Don't really see them moving into medal contention territory by 2026 but definitely for the next Olympic cycle if they choose to stick around (which I hope they would cuz they're still pretty young).
I was actually awe-struck by Chock and Bates...there were a couple of scary moments in their Free which they totally saved...that's experience.

If you look at their feet on the ice, you can see that they skate extremely close together, their blades are almost touching (thank goodness they do not actually touch though)...they skate hip to hip and are often in such close holds that they are entwined together...that's extremely, extremely difficult to do and no other team show this same difficulty level. I think their win was deserved.

I am glad to see Carreira and Ponomarenko improve so much. I used to be bothered by how far apart they used to skate...that gap between them, made their dancing seem simpler, but since moving to train in Canada, that gap has diminished. They are not quite at Chock and Bates level of difficulty yet, but they are clearly moving in that direction.

layman

I don't see any ill effects to the whole US Ice Dance program. Bratti/Somerville got their chance and messed up. That's life. But long-term consequences? Neither Green/Parsons or Bratti/Somerville were in any danger of winning a medal at worlds. So no medals lost. No spots lost. G/P got world standing points at 4CC so they also didn't miss out on filling that box with world standings points.

Nothing's stopping G/P from coming back swinging next season. Or B/S from holding their heads up and continuing to fight hard for their future. Or Z/K from emoting their way to the top, etc.

BTW Congrats to Chock/Bates and Carreria/Ponomarenko for a successful worlds!
Here's the ill effect...to put it simply, after the USFSA's knee-capping of Green/Parsons (move over Tonya Harding), we are running out of American Dance teams who can place in the top ten at Worlds (Green/Parsons have proven that they can); we are one retirement away from the whole US Dance program imploding, two years out from the next Winter Olympic Games (Carreira/Ponamarenko, as good as they are, cannot hold the weight of our whole dance program, on their backs).

skatingguy

decently
Here's the ill effect...to put it simply, after the USFSA's knee-capping of Green/Parsons (move over Tonya Harding), we are running out of American Dance teams who can place in the top ten at Worlds (Green/Parsons have proven that they can); we are one retirement away from the whole US Dance program imploding, two years out from the next Winter Olympic Games (Carreira/Ponamarenko, as good as they are, cannot hold the weight of our whole dance program, on their backs).
Green/Parsons are injured - they struggled at US Nationals, and Four Continents - they need time off for recovery, and to consider what if any changes they need to make for next season.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Here's the ill effect...to put it simply, after the USFSA's knee-capping of Green/Parsons (move over Tonya Harding), we are running out of American Dance teams who can place in the top ten at Worlds; we are one retirement away from the whole US Dance program imploding, two years out from the next Winter Olympic Games (Carreira/Ponamarenko, as good as they are, cannot hold the weight of our whole dance program, on their backs).
LOLOLOL - that's some pretty raw doom and gloom there.

The USFS did NOT knee-cap GreenP - they knee-capped themselves with weak programs this season. Bratti/Somerville and Zingas/Kolesnik both had their worst outings at their last competitions of the season but they're both such new teams that those experiences can only be chalked up to learning and I'm sure they will come back even stronger than before next season. We've barely seen what the Browns are capable of now that they're working part-time with IAM but what we did see this fall was good progress for them.

The depth at the junior level is also there, despite what you think.

I'm not at all worried about the state of US ice dance. Canadian ice dance... Well, there's a thread for that and they really have a lot more to worry about than the US at the moment.

carriecmu0503

Here's the ill effect...to put it simply, after the USFSA's knee-capping of Green/Parsons (move over Tonya Harding), we are running out of American Dance teams who can place in the top ten at Worlds; we are one retirement away from the whole US Dance program imploding, two years out from the next Winter Olympic Games (Carreira/Ponamarenko, as good as they are, cannot hold the weight of our whole dance program, on their backs).
Things go in cycles. The US has had an ice dance dynasty now for 20 years. Belbin and Agosto kicking things off in 2005. Davis and White. The Shibs. Hubble and Donahue. Hopefully Chock and Bates will stick around and medal at the next Olympics to make it six Olympic medals in a row and a fifth ice dance team medaling at the Olympics in the last two decades. All good things do come to an end.

skatingguy

decently
Bratti/Somerville and Zingas/Kolesnik both had their worst outings at their last competitions of the season but they're both such new teams that those experiences can only be chalked up to learning and I'm sure they will come back even stronger than before next season.
Just to note that Zingas/Kolesnik's last event was Four Continents, and it went pretty well for them all things considered.
Canadian ice dance... Well, there's a thread for that and they really have a lot more to worry about than the US at the moment.
We have Lajoie/Lagha. We're fine. Thanks for asking.

litenkyckling

Just to note that Zingas/Kolesnik's last event was Four Continents, and it went pretty well for them all things considered.

Well after the top 2 retire they too cannot hold an entire dance programme. Canada need to give their teams more assignments - the challengers were abysmal for the teams lower in the rankings in Canada. Strange moves too like not giving the 2x World Junior Bronze medalists the home GP invite. You have to hone and nurture talent to keep it.

chameleonster

I don't think missing one Worlds, when Green/Parsons have been struggling with injury, is kneecapping them. It may be for the best in the longterm. Green/Parsons 4CC scores would have had them 11th at worlds, Zingas/Kolesnik's would have had them 9th. We've been spoiled by the Bock-Shibs-H/D-H/B era, but US ice dance's pipeline is extraordinarily healthy right now.

G/Pa have looked off all season, it is what it is, and hopefully the extra time off gave them the opportunity to heal and come back more strongly next season. Bratti/Somerville's Nationals performance deserved an assignment, and in a normal year they probably would have gotten 4CC. Unfortunately the way things shook out with having to name the team in advance in order to get visas, that didn't happen. It's unfortunate that B/S weren't able to fully capitalize on the opportunity, but Nationals should count for a lot, and I understand why USFS chose to reward them with an assignment even if it wouldn't necessarily have been my choice. I also need to remind people that Nationals was the second time B/S had beaten G/Pa this season. If Zingas/Kolesnik had skated at Nationals like they did at 4CC after assignments had already been sent out, they would have had their worlds debut this weekend, and they may have skated better or may have had a flukey fall. It's impossible to say.

Two years is at once a lot of time and not a lot of time. Two years ago Carreira/Ponomarenko were nowhere near the #2 spot, but he got his ankle surgery and they fought back. If G/Pa heal, regain their confidence, and get some stronger material I see no reason they can't bounce right back. Z/K just need time. B/S may be suffering a disappointment but they too can fight back. The Browns beat Z/K at a head to head at Skate Canada even though Nationals didn't go well. And Neset/Markelov will probably be turning senior. And there are still more teams beyond that.

I have no interest in getting into a Team USA vs Team Canada fight or whatever, but from a purely objective standpoint, Skate Canada has always been bad about giving its skaters chances to compete and its always frustrated me deeply. USFS is very generous with giving its skaters challengers and senior bs in order to develop. One missed Worlds is not the end of G/Pa.

layman

Things go in cycles. The US has had an ice dance dynasty now for 20 years. Belbin and Agosto kicking things off in 2005. Davis and White. The Shibs. Hubble and Donahue. Hopefully Chock and Bates will stick around and medal at the next Olympics to make it six Olympic medals in a row and a fifth ice dance team medaling at the Olympics in the last two decades. All good things do come to an end.
This is what worries me about what has happened with Green/Parsons. When the Shibutanis were knocked down in the standings, it took them years to climb out of that hole. I just hope that Green/Parsons have that same kind of perseverance.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

Well after the top 2 retire they too cannot hold an entire dance programme. Canada need to give their teams more assignments - the challengers were abysmal for the teams lower in the rankings in Canada. Strange moves too like not giving the 2x World Junior Bronze medalists the home GP invite. You have to hone and nurture talent to keep it.
Yeah, without delving too far off the US Ice Dance topic, Canada doesn't have much depth after LajLag. My preliminary GP projections (presuming GilPoir and FBSoer retire) only have LajLag and Les Gacs with 2 GP assignments and only those 4 teams posted scores in the SB Top 24 and 2 in the SB Top 36 which is generally where the cutoff for even 1 GP assignment seems to lie. Compared to that - the US had 7 teams with scores in the SB Top 24, and 3 more in the Top 36. And that was without Hawayek/Baker competing.

The US is doing JUST fine in ice dance.

jlai

Question everything
This is what worries me about what has happened with Green/Parsons. When the Shibutanis were knocked down in the standings, it took them years to climb out of that hole. I just hope that Green/Parsons have that same kind of perseverance.
But the first medal at words for the shibs was very rare in ice dance. It normally takes years to get to the top. The shibs succeeded again in 2016 and that time span is more normal in ice dance.

G/p has technical things they need to work on. So do the other teams. Instead of a fixed pecking order it is more fair to send whoever is skating well at the time and hope for the best

Last edited:

carriecmu0503

Indeed. Without doing some googling and research, I don’t know how long it’s been since any other team, other than the Shibs, has medaled at their first senior worlds in ice dance. Maia and Alex were 16 and 19 years of age. I believe they are the youngest team to win a medal at worlds in anything that resembles the modern era of ice dance. It’s astonishing when you consider that for the past couple years, all six medalists in ice dance have been 30+ years of age, and they were both teenagers. The Shibs were a rare breed indeed.

layman

Indeed. Without doing some googling and research, I don’t know how long it’s been since any other team, other than the Shibs, has medaled at their first senior worlds in ice dance. Maia and Alex were 16 and 19 years of age. I believe they are the youngest team to win a medal at worlds in anything that resembles the modern era of ice dance. It’s astonishing when you consider that for the past couple years, all six medalists in ice dance have been 30+ years of age, and they were both teenagers. The Shibs were a rare breed indeed.
Green/Parsons debuted in 6th place in their 1st senior Worlds last season, which considering how difficult dance is now, is as good as a podium finish in my book. I wish them the best.

Jammers

That's why i'm getting bored with Ice dance those teams have been around forever i want to see new teams fighting for the top not old teams just looking to outlast everyone more then anything to get a finally get a medal. We need some excitement.

carriecmu0503

Green/Parsons debuted in 6th place in their 1st senior Worlds last season, which considering how difficult dance is now, is as good as a podium finish in my book. I wish them the best.
Sixth place is by no stretch of the imagination the same as a podium finish. They were both also substantially older than the Shibs were at their debut, especially Parsons. Let’s not pretend the field was not deep during 2011, when Virtue and Moir and Davis and White were dominating the scene.

carriecmu0503

That's why i'm getting bored with Ice dance those teams have been around forever i want to see new teams fighting for the top not old teams just looking to outlast everyone more then anything to get a finally get a medal. We need some excitement.
How exactly have a team like Guinard and Fabri been around forever? Last year was their first year to medal at worlds. I thank God the age limit finally went up to 17. There was plenty of “excitement” in the “women’s” event with a new 15-year-old winning every year!

Sylvia

TBD
Oona & Gage are off to Montreal to create their programs for the new season:

Sylvia

TBD
Emily Bratti shared their Worlds RD video with a message today:

skatingguy

decently
Sometime in the 1950's. (No, it was Natalia Linichuk & Gennadi Karponosov in 1974.)

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
So perseverance is a bad thing? They’ve gradually worked themselves up through hard work. Good for them!
I don't have a problem with it but they have been around a long time, which is the question you asked. They were at worlds before Chock & Bates and Gilles & Poirier were even skating together!

I expect them to go to Milan. Good for them.

carriecmu0503

I don't have a problem with it but they have been around a long time, which is the question you asked. They were at worlds before Chock & Bates and Gilles & Poirier were even skating together!

I expect them to go to Milan. Good for them.
I was talking about the poster who was knocking the current podium, saying the teams have been around too long, and there isn’t enough excitement, and they want new teams vying for the podium. It’s possible Guinard and Fabri have been competing for a long time, but it’s only been in the last year or two that they’ve been actually competing for the podium. I’m happy for them! I’m also very happy we will no longer have a revolving door of 15–year-olds winning the “ women’s” event. It now actually IS a women’s event!

AYS

🌻
How exactly have a team like Guinard and Fabri been around forever? Last year was their first year to medal at worlds. I thank God the age limit finally went up to 17. There was plenty of “excitement” in the “women’s” event with a new 15-year-old winning every year!
G/F have been competing at the world level longer than C/B (although Evan and Madison also both had great success with their prior partners even before getting together). It’s been a slow, lengthy, but steady ascension for G/F.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Too long is in the eye of the beholder but there's no denying that in ice dance terms Charlene and Marco have been around a long time!! They have incredible longevity and have continued to get better and better year after year.

I'm glad that there is such longevity in ice dance because its great to see how teams mature.

But OTOH there's also movement in ice dance and that's good too.

Since this is the US thread, I'll add that I think its good there is room for young teams among the US teams, even if C&B decide to stay in. Its exciting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information