2020 Grand Prix series thread

rfisher

Let the skating begin
This will be interesting and juicy for gossip - especially given that all officials will be local to the competition. Cue the speculation and drama.

I wish that instead of this set up they would have done a bubble like the NBA is doing. Test everyone, put everyone in a few hotels, and run a competition with virtual audiences only. They could rent somewhere like the Irvine rink (or even half the Irvine rink) where there's 9 surfaces to train on and let the athletes train on different surfaces. Drama, intrigue, and increased safety. That is, if they can figure out the visa situations for every skater. Of course this is more expensive and logistically difficult, but I think it would be the only way to run the Grand Prix with some minimal level of safety.
The NBA has way more :bribe: than any figure skating federation. By an order of magnitude more.

YukiNieve

From ISU skating news:

The participation in each individual ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating event would be limited to

1. Competitors and Officials of the host country and
  2. Competitors regularly training in the respective host country and
  3. Competitors from other ISU Members who will be assigned to a Grand Prix of Figure Skating event in the respective geographical area, always subject to the applicable travel, entry and sanitary restrictions of the concerned countries.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Russia needs all their ladies to be able to have an event, so I think capping the country's skaters will stink. Also I think it would be nice for the USA, JPN, and CAN ladies who don't often get to do these kinds of events if they could have 9 per country...maybe they can allow 18 skaters per discipline per event just to make sure everyone gets in. I doubt that would happen, and I could be way off with some of my projected rosters if entries are capped at 3 or even 6 per country.

sk8girl

Messing lives/trains in Alaska and I don't think he could actually go to SCI, so he'd have to go to SkAm.

Keegan can get into Canada regardless of Canadian border restrictions, since he's a Canadian citizen. However, he'd have to do a 14 day quarantine, if the current rules stay the same.

Colonel Green

Keegan can get into Canada regardless of Canadian border restrictions, since he's a Canadian citizen. However, he'd have to do a 14 day quarantine, if the current rules stay the same.
Yes, that’s what I mean — effectively he’s can’t attend because he wouldn’t be able to train/practise for weeks before the event. It makes a lot more sense for him to go to SkAm in those circumstances.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
GPF at least in Beijing probably isn't a reality even if they try to push it to January or later. I know they really want to get a test event in for the Olympic venue, but I wouldn't hold my breath for any kind of series or anything aside from 6 regional events that just so happen to be taking the place of the normal Grand Prix. Top 6 scores from the events? Great, but you have all officials for each event coming from the host country. Therein could be a problem with strictness/leniency.

If up until early/mid. December they are saying all officials have to come from the host country and all skaters are limited to people living/training within the country, I don't know why anyone would think January, in the midst of potential Canadian and US Nationals, would result in any different flying regulations all over the world.

Orm Irian

Re. French ladies, Mae-Berenice Meite is in Florida so would be assigned to Skate America. Maia Mazzara will get an IdeF spot most likely. J/C haven't trained together in over six months and Vanessa is in North America so cross them off any lists; even if they wanted to and were assigned there's no way they could be ready in time.

Brendan Kerry is currently training in Vaujany so may be able to stay there and skate at IdeF. Saarinen and Ceder are also likely for France, and Yamada and Toth may get lucky; Piredda is also a possibility if she's recovered. Hendrickx probably won't be back to full competitive form in time. Oddball Boe and Virttanen are possibilities. Some new names may emerge later if Nebelhorn goes ahead and rising skaters score well.

I still think this is both ridiculous and dangerous, though.

Last edited:

Tobbe

Russia needs all their ladies to be able to have an event, so I think capping the country's skaters will stink. Also I think it would be nice for the USA, JPN, and CAN ladies who don't often get to do these kinds of events if they could have 9 per country...maybe they can allow 18 skaters per discipline per event just to make sure everyone gets in. I doubt that would happen, and I could be way off with some of my projected rosters if entries are capped at 3 or even 6 per country.
Yes, Russian ladies (and the Koreans!) are screwed. I don't think all the Russian ladies will be interested to meet up in a mini-nationals. They need to concentrate on RusNats a month later. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot of the top names not participating at Rostelecom Cup.

Last edited:

Lacey

Does it make sense to post in this thread the previously scheduled events? (I was confused and only saw SA and SC.)
Will they use the same calendar and locations, except for the final?
(Sorry and apologies in advance if I am off on this. Please correct me if needed.)

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
This plan gets around the problem of crossing international borders, or of not being able to get into or out of countries that have closed their borders. But skaters within countries/regions are still going to have to travel to the competition site in that area, as will judges and officials. I'd like to see a lot more detail on how that is going to be accomplished safely, along with accommodation, social distancing while at the rink, and so on.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
This plan gets around the problem of crossing international borders, or of not being able to get into or out of countries that have closed their borders. But skaters within countries/regions are still going to have to travel to the competition site in that area, as will judges and officials. I'd like to see a lot more detail on how that is going to be accomplished safely, along with accommodation, social distancing while at the rink, and so on.

Ideally with testing protocol, but this is the very first part of the decision so it seems reasonable to me that they don’t have all the details yet.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Ideally with testing protocol, but this is the very first part of the decision so it seems reasonable to me that they don’t have all the details yet.

Agreed, but IMO it should all be planned out in advance, so that the potential participants can decide if they feel it's safe for them to be there. But then again, this wouldn't be the first time the ISU announced something big while not figuring out the actual details until later....

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Agreed, but IMO it should all be planned out in advance, so that the potential participants can decide if they feel it's safe for them to be there. But then again, this wouldn't be the first time the ISU announced something big while not figuring out the actual details until later....

There aren't potential participants yet. They are probably now working with member federations to see what they can do, and we might not even know final details until October. But then again, this wouldn't be the first time that someone here thinks the ISU should have all the answers immediately in a situation changing daily....

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Maybe up the traditional max by one but without a limit, it seems like these could be mini Narionals.

Especially when it comes to Russia. They’re not keen on letting foreigners train in their country, correct? So Grand Prix of Russia just seems like a mini nationals.

Bummer.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Your USA pool would be: Carreira/Ponomarenko (USA), Green/Parsons (USA), Pate/Bye (USA), Cesanek/Yehorov (USA), Ming/Eaton (KOR), Kelly/Akalin (TUR), Dozzi/Valdez (HUN), Monaghan/Fourati (HUN), Bratti/ Couyras (FRA), Wagret/Souquet-Basiege (FRA), Tweedale/Buckland (GBR), Hertenstein/Binkowski (POL), Muramoto/Takahashi (JPN)

(McNamera/Spiridonov aren't on the ISP at the moment, and the rest you mentioned are Juniors)

Also, I think that's it, and if I missed anyone, please add!
This would be quite a mix of teams! I'm most curious about Muramoto and Takahashi, but I'm not confident anyone's going to be competing this fall, let alone a team I'm highly anticipating. But I'd love it if I were wrong.

gatorinfl

Hanyu is in Japan at the moment; while it's possible he might get back to Canada beforehand, pending travel restrictions, he might just stay and focus on NHK and Japan nationals.

Messing lives/trains in Alaska and I don't think he could actually go to SCI, so he'd have to go to SkAm.

Kurakova is in Poland right now, so she'd be for France.

Kihira is in Switzerland at the moment, but it's unclear whether she's going back to Japan or not.
I believe that Rika Kihira has been planning to train with a Brian Orser at the Cricket Club. Not sure if she’ll be able to get there from Switzerland. If so, that would put her at Skate Canada.

What about Jun-Hwan Cha? Is he still training in Toronto? Maybe he is out of the mix.

I’m pleasantly surprised that these competitions are going forward even in this odd way.

Colonel Green

I believe that Rika Kihira has been planning to train with a Brian Orser at the Cricket Club. Not sure if she’ll be able to get there from Switzerland. If so, that would put her at Skate Canada.
So far Rika hasn’t been able to get to Toronto, so she had to change her training plans.

Amy L

I believe Anastasiya Galustyan trains in Russia.

She was born in Moscow and trains there so this could be her time to shine! :lol: :summer:

There are a lot of random Russian girls who have switched countries but still train in Russia, or at least would have a relatively easier time getting through travel restrictions if they have citizenship. Maybe a comeback for Queen U??? Could Tursy's back be stapled together in time??

I wouldn't put Kurakova in the list since she's been staying in Poland. Either she's waiting to be allowed back in Canada from a Schengen country, or she'll have to go to IdF. I wonder who is coaching her in Poland.

Hurtado/Khaliavin train in Russia, so that's at least one international team to go to Rostelecom.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
And what about the Grand Prix Final? Will it consist of the winners from each event?

Exactly my guess. Six events - six winners moving on to the finals. Sweet & simple. Points schmoints!

Lacey

I'm not sure how a Grand Prix Final gets organized...there would have to be so much quarantining...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information