ISU Junior Grand Prix 2022-23 announcement

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
So theoretically someone assign to Armenia and Gdańsk 2 is now skating two weeks in a row? Not ideal for them.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
So theoretically someone assign to Armenia and Gdańsk 2 is now skating two weeks in a row? Not ideal for them.
Yup - it won't be easy for Bashynska/Beaumont or Kudryavsteva/Karankevich. Neset/Markelov were assigned to Armenia and Egna, so, theoretically, the USFS might be able to get them assigned to Gdansk 1.

Andrea82

Yup - it won't be easy for Bashynska/Beaumont or Kudryavsteva/Karankevich. Neset/Markelov were assigned to Armenia and Egna, so, theoretically, the USFS might be able to get them assigned to Gdansk 1.
Kudryavsteva/Karankevich are in the same position of Neset/Markelov. Also Cyprus originally had a spot in Gdansk#1 they left vacant.

Or maybe they go for the "Memola's route" and compete every week of the season.

Karen-W

USFS' International Assignments page has been updated with the following additions to the last 3 JGPs:

Poland 1
Women - Josephine Lee (Seo & Higase-Chen already assigned)
Men - Klein (Broussard & Xie already assigned)
Dance - Bland/Sperry (Carhart/Horovyi & Malcolm/Lafornara already assigned)

Poland 2
Women - Kalin & Josephine Lee
Men - Annis, Strommer (Yampolsky already assigned)
Pairs - (Baram/Tioumentsev already assigned)
Dance - Neset/Markelov (Carhart/Horovyi & Peal/Peal already assigned)

Egna
Women - Soho Lee (originally scheduled for Poland 2) & Zhang
Men - Martynov (I can only assume there's a 2nd TBD since we can send 2 men)
Dance - (Hauer/Starr & Neset/Markelov already assigned)

Stephanie

I think there should be an extra ladies spot for the US in Poland 2 or Egna due to the reassignments. I assume who gets this is TBD.

Karen-W

I think there should be an extra ladies spot for the US in Poland 2 or Egna due to the reassignments. I assume who gets this is TBD.
You're right - we should have one more spot for the Women at either Poland 2 or Egna.

icedancefan!!

USFS' International Assignments page has been updated with the following additions to the last 3 JGPs:

Poland 1
Women - Josephine Lee (Seo & Higase-Chen already assigned)
Men - Klein (Broussard & Xie already assigned)
Dance - Bland/Sperry (Carhart/Horovyi & Malcolm/Lafornara already assigned)

Poland 2
Women - Kalin & Josephine Lee
Men - Annis, Strommer (Yampolsky already assigned)
Pairs - (Baram/Tioumentsev already assigned)
Dance - Neset/Markelov (Carhart/Horovyi & Peal/Peal already assigned)

Egna
Women - Soho Lee (originally scheduled for Poland 2) & Zhang
Men - Martynov (I can only assume there's a 2nd TBD since we can send 2 men)
Dance - (Hauer/Starr & Neset/Markelov already assigned)
For Neset/Markelov, I thought since he has a Russian passport, he wouldn't be able to get into Poland as of September 26...so how would he be able to enter Poland at that time? Maybe ISU got him an exception from the Polish government??

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Article about Cecilia Donohue, skating for Argentina:
Having skated competitively since age 5, Donohue won the Argentina National Figure Skating Championships in Ushuaia, Argentina, in late August to earn a berth into the 2022 JGP Solidarity Cup, which is the fifth of seven events of the Junior Grand Prix series in Gdansk, Poland. Donohue travels to Poland on Sept. 24 and begins the four-day event Sept. 28.

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks @Artistic Skaters! I was going to post the Cecilia Donohue article link in the OAS thread :) (will do that later) - Argentina held its Nationals outdoors in late August!
Listed for Solidarity Cup:

1 Cecilia DONOHUE ARG 1

She's a Columbus (Ohio) FSC skater I've enjoyed watching over the years and is now the newly crowned Argentine Jr. national champ - glad to see she has an opportunity to compete internationally. :)

Because of the Armenia JGP's cancellation, "For the first time, two Argentinian skaters will participate in the same Junior Grand Prix event!" (Gdansk #1) - Sophia Dayan: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cizw1yLLMTG/
And Donohue: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cizw5U_LDQ5/

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
In checking the women’s assignments for the reallocations to the three remaining JGP competitions, I don’t see name of Hana Yoshida. Her 2nd competition was to have been at the canceled JGP Yerevan.

I can’t imagine Japan not wanting her to do a 2nd event, since she won at Courchevel with a nice 203.52 score…thus a likely JGP Finals entry if she’s a medalist at a 2nd event.
I hope that my eyes are just playing tricks on me. She’s listed as one of many possible Japanese substitutes in all three remaining JGP…but Mao Shimada is doing Gdańsk-1 so maybe Hana will eventually get one of the last two?

Sylvia

TBD
In checking the women’s assignments for the reallocations to the three remaining JGP competitions, I don’t see name of Hana Yoshida. Her 2nd competition was to have been at the canceled JGP Yerevan.
USFS has published their reallocated entries (summarized by @Karen-W in post #185 above) but the ISU has yet to update/expand the entries for the remaining 3 JGPs (the current standings by discipline tables, linked below, also were last updated on Sept. 21).

ETA:
Link to the thread in the Kiss & Cry section for the Junior Grand Prix series' current standings & Final qualification discussion:
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-current-standings-future-assignments.109871/

Junior Men: https://results.isu.org/events/jgp2022/jgpsmen.htm
Junior Women: https://results.isu.org/events/jgp2022/jgpswomen.htm
Junior Ice Dance: https://results.isu.org/events/jgp2022/jgpsdance.htm
Junior Pairs (#2 Ostrava, #3 Riga, #5 & #6 Gdansk): https://results.isu.org/events/jgp2022/jgpspairs.htm
Nikolaj Memola (ITA) and Cayla Smith/Andy Deng (USA) are the first to qualify for the JGP Final with their gold & silver medals (both have 28 points) in Ostrava & Riga, respectively.

Last edited:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
It seems that the reallocations are reflected on ISU rosters, or at least some of them. Egna for example has 50 women entered now. And there are three Canadian dance teams at both Poland events.

Sylvia

TBD
Cross-posting from the JGP forum in Kiss & Cry... The reallocation of the Armenia JGP spots has happened and now are reflected in the tables for the men, women & ice dance.

Junior Men: https://results.isu.org/events/jgp2022/jgpsmen.htm

POL1: Nozomu YOSHIOKA JPN (15), Younghyun CHA KOR (13), Ryoga MORIMOTO JPN (11), Michael XIE USA (7) ...
1st event: Naoki ROSSI SUI, Yudong CHEN CHN, Francois PITOT FRA, Lucas BROUSSARD USA, Joseph KLEIN USA, David BONDAR CAN, Alec GUINZBOURG CAN, Rio MORITA CAN, Dias JIRENBAYEV KAZ, Raffaele Francesco ZICH ITA (currently listed for the final 3 JGPs) ...

POL2: Rio NAKATA JPN (13), Minkyu SEO KOR (9), Robert YAMPOLSKY USA (9), Francois PITOT FRA ...
1st event: Will ANNIS USA, Takeru Amine KATAISE JPN, Beck STROMMER USA, Lev VINOKUR ISR ...

ITA: Shunsuke NAKAMURA JPN (15), Andreas NORDEBACK SWE (11), Rakhat BRALIN KAZ (11), Tsudoi SUTO JPN (5), Ian VAUCLIN FRA (5), Aleksa RAKIC CAN (4), Naoki ROSSI SUI, Takeru Amine KATAISE JPN, Dias JIRENBAYEV KAZ, Lev VINOKUR ISR ...
1st & only event: Jaekun LEE KOR, Daniel MARTYNOV USA ...

===

Junior Women: https://results.isu.org/events/jgp2022/jgpswomen.htm

POL1: Mao SHIMADA JPN (15), Heesue HAN KOR (7), Clare SEO USA (7), Kimmy REPOND SUI (5), Lorine SCHILD FRA (5) ...
1st event: Chaeyeon KIM KOR, Minchae KIM KOR, Mone CHIBA JPN, Anna PEZZETTA ITA, Josephine LEE USA, Logan HIGASE-CHEN USA, Iida KARHUNEN FIN, Polina DZSUMANYIJAZOVA HUN, Kara YUN CAN, Xiangyi AN CHN ...

POL2: Jia SHIN KOR (15), Minsol KWON KOR (13), Ayumi SHIBAYAMA JPN (13), Ikura KUSHIDA JPN (11), Mia KALIN USA (9), Maria Eliise KALJUVERE EST (9), Nikola FOMCHENKOVA LAT (7), Josephine LEE USA (2nd event), Siwoo SONG KOR & Hetty SHI CAN (1st & only event) ...

ITA: Hana YOSHIDA JPN (15), Soho LEE USA (13), Ami NAKAI JPN (11), 2nd event for Chaeyeon KIM KOR, Minchae KIM KOR, Iida KARHUNEN FIN, Polina DZSUMANYIJAZOVA HUN, Anna PEZZETTA ITA; 1st & only event for Phattaratida KANESHIGE THA, Sherry ZHANG USA, Rose THEROUX CAN ...

Note: Yujae KIM KOR (11 - bronze in FRA) does not have a 2nd event as she was originally was selected for just one.

===

Junior Ice Dance: https://results.isu.org/events/jgp2022/jgpsdance.htm

POL1: Phebe BEKKER / James HERNANDEZ GBR (13), Celina FRADJI / Jean-Hans FOURNEAUX FRA (13), Mariia PINCHUK / Mykyta POGORIELOV UKR (11), Nao KIDA / Masaya MORITA JPN (11) ...
1st event (of 2): Nadiia BASHYNSKA / Peter BEAUMONT CAN, Helena CARHART / Volodymyr HOROVYI USA ...

POL2: Darya GRIMM / Michail SAVITSKIY GER (15), 2ndd event for Nadiia BASHYNSKA / Peter BEAUMONT CAN, Elliana PEAL / Ethan PEAL USA (9), Helena CARHART / Volodymyr HOROVYI ...
1st event (of 2): Leah NESET / Artem MARKELOV USA, Angelina KUDRYAVTSEVA / Ilia KARANKEVICH CYP

ITA: Katerina MRAZKOVA / Daniel MRAZEK CZE (15), Hannah LIM / Ye QUAN KOR (15), Sandrine GAUTHIER / Quentin THIEREN CAN (13), Anna SIMOVA / Kirill AKSENOV SVK (9), 2nd event for Leah NESET / Artem MARKELOV USA, Angelina KUDRYAVTSEVA / Ilia KARANKEVICH CYP ...

Last edited:

Stephanie

Following up for the US ladies, it seems the extra, still unassigned, spot is for Poland 2. Sarah Everhardt appears to be a placeholder as she's not listed on the USFS site.

Alternates: Barghout, Herrera, Higase-Chen, Krafchik, Soho Lee (already has 2), Lin-Gracey, Seo (already has 2), Stubblefield, and Zhang

ETA: Lucas Broussard is now listed as a sub for Egna so maybe he still has a shot for a second JGP :)

Karen-W

Following up for the US ladies, it seems the extra, still unassigned, spot is for Poland 2. Sarah Everhardt appears to be a placeholder as she's not listed on the USFS site.

Alternates: Barghout, Herrera, Higase-Chen, Krafchik, Soho Lee (already has 2), Lin-Gracey, Seo (already has 2), Stubblefield, and Zhang

ETA: Lucas Broussard is now listed as a sub for Egna so maybe he still has a shot for a second JGP :)
Hmmm... Going to be interesting to see what the USFS does with that extra, unassigned spot for POL 2.

And, yes, I'd agree that Broussard (as well as Annis, Klein and Strommer) all have a shot still at a 2nd JGP, depending on how they skate in Poland.

Karen-W

Crap - Neset/Markelov are no longer listed on the Baltic Cup JGP (Gdansk #2) entries as of today. :-(

Elyce Lin-Gracey has replaced the previously listed Sarah Everhardt (placeholder) as the US Women's 3rd entry.

On My Own

Was anyone else annoyed with the Ted Barton/Mark Hanretty commentary? I only watched the most recent event, but I just didn't care for it. I hope the senior GP stream is commentary-free.

On My Own

Annoyed how?
This is going to be completely personal, but I preferred it done like this (from Kerrigan, not the man who's with her):

It's a junior skate (albeit at junior worlds) so I think the comparison is fair. We can say the commentators no longer need to talk about each element because we have a tech box now, but I do wish we had some commentary about what the skater was doing well during the skate as well.

Barton/Hanretty talk after the skate, when the elements and the skating are already done, and it doesn't quite seem spontaneous to me, and loses value. Additionally, they go into too much detail (well, probably because they didn't talk at all during the skate, so they cram it all in at the end), which I don't care for when I'm just trying to mull over the skate myself and waiting for the scores to come out. Same goes for the talking during the warm-ups. It was just all a bit much.

I also just plain don't like their personalities and the pairing makes it worse, nor do I care for what they have to say about skaters and programs in general (this applied to Hanretty's senior commentary too, although I don't remember which ones he did last season).

Maybe the point to of staying quiet during the skating is to treat it like a performance, but then I'd just prefer no commentary at all, let me digest it all on my own. I guess the good thing is I can skip straight to scores without needing to listen to any of it? Or give me something like Dick Button during senior grand prixs (I'm going to be watching the Canadian team if they're going to be on this season, whom I do usually like).

Last edited:

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
It seems that there are, not surprisingly, several schools of thought on competition commentary. Hasn't it always been that way?!?!

Not being a skater myself, I definitely prefer having some commentary but I prefer it to be before the skate, as introduction, and after the skate as analysis. I'm very happy when there is a tech box but that, by itself, is not enough, especially since the "on the run" scoring gets reviewed and is often changed. It helps to have someone explain why, accompanied by a replay, if possible to demonstrate that why. Waiting for the protocols might mean that I've forgotten what the issue was, especially with so many skaters in these JGP events 😁

Personally, I do not like commentary during the skate at all - it is distracting and overpowers the music and the (hopeful) connection of the skater to the music.

If we all liked the same thing, wore the same thing, listened to the same music, what would there be to talk (and disagree) about?

As this thread pertains to the JGP, I will just say that I find Mark an excellent addition to Ted - the latter freely admitted his lack of knowledge in the dance area in previous years, something that Mark has in spades. Mark was new to the junior competitions but he does excellent research and is becoming a "believer" like Ted, especially in the purpose of these developmental competitions.

JMHO.

Last edited:

Lizziebeth

I love that they do NOT talk during the skate. Watching old videos, listen to the commentators talk about stuff not related to what is happening on the ice :scream:

We get a tech box with elements and replays that show many elements. What's not to love??

I am getting used to the Ted/Mark team. I enjoyed Ted when he was all by himself.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I'm super impressed with the research Mark has done for the season. Some of the days are very long, especially this most recent one due to the reallocation of spots. I appreciate that they don't talk during the skating and they are very positive when talking about the skaters, particularly those from developing countries. You can always mute between skaters if you don't like it.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Was anyone else annoyed with the Ted Barton/Mark Hanretty commentary? I only watched the most recent event, but I just didn't care for it. I hope the senior GP stream is commentary-free.

Goodness me -not at all. I quite love Ted & Mark together…and that’s saying a lot, since I normally prefer commentary-free stream. For starters, they don’t talk during actual skating. Then, in between programs, their chats are really informative (explaining elements), charming and even funny sometimes, IMO. It’s like I wouldn’t mind inviting them to a family holiday party.
Sorry that you feel that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information