Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Alysa Liu and Tara Lipinski teamed up this past weekend for two Barbie "You Can Be Anything" events in Los Angeles (5 photos shared by Alysa): https://www.instagram.com/p/B3k7BDenqx5/

To replace Ting at her 2 GP events, France has invited Starr Andrews (her 2nd GP to go with NHK Trophy) and Japan invited Megan Wessenberg (her 2nd GP in 2 years). They placed 5th and 8th, respectively, at Finlandia Trophy this past weekend. ETA that NHK would be Megan's 3rd international this fall so she should get a bye through Eastern Sectionals.

Last edited:

layman

Article re: Gracie Gold and her attempt at coming back. Granted it's just a college piece, it made the internet. Frankly, I think it's a bit harsh.

I think people are missing the big picture here. It's not plagiarizing to come up with an independent conclusion and state it in writing (as presented here in this well written, well researched article) even if others have (recently) reached the same conclusion.

The truth is that we all have eyes and we are all looking at the same thing. We should all be seeing the same thing (except that many fans are in denial). Many of us are however, reaching the same conclusion independently. This is not shaping up to be a successful comeback and there are important reasons for that (as painstakingly laid out in the article). I agree with the article's author, that it's time to move on from the Aston rink (if the comeback is to have any chance of success).

Last edited:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
The truth is that we all have eyes and we are all looking at the same thing. We should all be seeing the same thing (except that many fans are in denial).

This is one of the most laughable statements I've ever seen on this site. Are you new here? If we can get like 3 people to agree with our opinions we consider it a massive success.

The fact is that Gracie's comeback is only measurable by Gracie's standards. So if you've talked to her recently and know how she feel, please let us know. Otherwise it's just one fan's opinion which may or may not be agreed on by others.

Vagabond

Gracie Gold is coming back from severe depression and using figure skating to do so. She has said that she wants to be on the 2022 Olympic Team, but it would not surprise me if being happy and living a normal life were bigger goals for her. Her model may vary.

layman

Is showing up untrained for the second major competition in (two) years a success? Is never having run through your long program prior to competition a success? Is squeaking out 3 triples in a long program (that would not make the top 15 at Nationals) a success? Is earning one of the lowest scores of one's senior career a success?

I agree that we all have different definitions of success.

Vagabond

Is showing up untrained for the second major competition in (two) years a success? Is never having run through your long program prior to competition a success? Is squeaking out 3 triples in a long program (that would not make the top 15 at Nationals) a success? Is earning one of the lowest scores of one's senior career a success?

Being able to complete a free skate with three triple jumps and no falls in competition may well be a success if you are recovering from depression and an eating disorder.

This may be especially true if you haven't done any run-throughs in practice, but we don't know that that was actually the situation here.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
And you know this how?

Foolhardy Ham Lint

After reading this, I have to wonder exactly how many anonymous FSU accounts does TSL actually own?

Last edited:

Vagabond

Success, for someone like Gracie who has so bravely and openly detailed her road to recovery, can be something as simple as being able to get out of bed and face the day. That she is able to even grow to enjoy the sport again and compete, is a major victory in itself.
To which I would add, condemnations and expostulations by people with no personal knowledge of the situation of the efforts of someone to recover from depression are unthinking at best, callous at worst.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
I think people are missing the big picture here. It's not plagiarizing to come up with an independent conclusion and state it in writing (as presented here in this well written, well researched article) even if others have (recently) reached the same conclusion.

Uhhhh... did we read the same article? Where is the research? What sources were cited?

layman

And you know this how?

PlaceStartNameShort ProgramFree SkateTotal Score
PlaceScorePlaceScore
119Emily Zhang, SC of Wilmington160.771117.52178.29
217Jill Heiner, Annapolis SC256.972101.41158.38
318Gracie Gold, IceWorks SC351.21484.18135.39
416Cailey Weaver, Panthers FSC449.40582.56131.96
513Julia Biechler, SC of Wilmington641.49388.68130.17
615Joanna Hubbart, Southwest Florida FSC542.58872.15114.73
711Grace Moyer, Penguin FSC738.64772.83111.47
812Katie Ross, FSC of Charleston835.81674.13109.94
914Morgan Leighow, Hershey FSC935.001066.90101.90
1010Kimmie (Kim-Yen) Nguyen, SC of Northern Virginia1034.001265.4299.42
118Kyra Hoctor, Carolinas FSC1227.33969.3496.67
129Jessica Horner, Washington FSC1326.341165.5891.92
136Isabella Rongione, Frederick FSC1132.431357.4589.88
147Charlotte Bolling, IceWorks SC1425.901456.7682.66
151Maxine Tan, Carolinas FSC1819.651554.6274.27
164Claudia Mills, IceWorks SC1624.341647.6571.99
175Brittlyn Anderson, Carolinas FSC1525.201743.3368.53
183Marie Moeller, Richmond FSC1720.601937.8858.48
192Gabrielle West, Washington FSC1914.691839.1053.79

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Kudos to Starr doing well at Finlandia and gaining another GP. Although its sad for Ting Cui being injured. I hope Ting comes back strong for U.S. Nationals.

Starr is a beautiful performer. She looks more mature and improved in some aspects of her skating. I enjoy her sp this year, and her last year's sp was also very strong. She had difficulties with her fp last season and she ended up switching to a prior fp at the end of the season. This year's fp is adventurous, but Starr doesn't yet seem fully comfortable with it. Maybe it's about endurance, or it could be related to the tech layout competing with her attempt to express the character of the music's story. Possibly, the choreo could be tweaked to better fit the music cuts and the highlights and changes in the music's storyline. I think Starr was rushing too much through her fp. Even her African-themed drums fp two seasons ago had enormous potential that was never fully realized because Starr needed to get more into the character of the music, which again might be difficult with a longer tech-filled fp.

Starr really has a star-like quality and presence on the ice (pun not intended, but its certainly apt!), so working out some of her obstacles and weaknesses will benefit her forward progress. I wonder if she is getting some extra coaching assistance with tech and SS exercises? She might also be helped by taking acting and movement classes. I hope to see Starr re-discover more of the full-on spark and confidence she exhibited in her breakout senior Nationals performances a couple of years ago.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Kudos to Starr doing well at Finlandia and gaining another GP. Although its sad for Ting Cui being injured. I hope Ting comes back strong for U.S. Nationals.

Starr is a beautiful performer. She looks more mature and improved in some aspects of her skating. I enjoy her sp this year, and her last year's sp was also very strong. She had difficulties with her fp last season and she ended up switching to a prior fp at the end of the season. This year's fp is adventurous, but Starr doesn't yet seem fully comfortable with it. Maybe it's about endurance, or it could be related to the tech layout competing with her attempt to express the character of the music's story. Possibly, the choreo could be tweaked to better fit the music cuts and the highlights and changes in the music's storyline. I think Starr was rushing too much through her fp. Even her African-themed drums fp two seasons ago had enormous potential that was never fully realized because Starr needed to get more into the character of the music, which again might be difficult with a longer tech-filled fp.

Starr really has a star-like quality and presence on the ice (pun not intended, but its certainly apt!), so working out some of her obstacles and weaknesses will benefit her forward progress. I wonder if she is getting some extra coaching assistance with tech and SS exercises? She might also be helped by taking acting and movement classes. I hope to see Starr re-discover more of the full-on spark and confidence she exhibited in her breakout senior Nationals performances a couple of years ago.

I loved watching Starr's programs online from Finlandia. Whomever designed her gorgeous outfits needs a round of applause as well. She looked like a catwalk model.

Tinami Amori

Has anyone seen in practice or has any videos or info about Tennell's SP (other than the music choice).

Carolla5501

And would you also say that the sixteen skaters who finished behind Gold in the Final Standings did not have any success and should switch coaches?

You are on very thin ice here, apparently without skates and without a life jacket.

But did the coaches of those 16 skaters post content on social media obviously designed to make their skaters look better than they really are?

If your coach is setting you up to "not live up to expectations" one has to wonder about his/her motivations.

VenusH.

I really admire Starr, I wish she learned how to fix her mistakes, so she can get ahead. It would be wonderful to see her at worlds....

Vagabond

But did the coaches of those 16 skaters post content on social media obviously designed to make their skaters look better than they really are?
Go do your own research! :lynch:

How do you know that is the way they were designed? There was nothing in those videos to indicate that she was ready to deliver all of her jumps in a four-minute program in competition.

If your coach is setting you up to "not live up to expectations" one has to wonder about his/her motivations.
And how do you know that is what is going on? It could be positive reinforcement.

Willin

I loved watching Starr's programs online from Finlandia. Whomever designed her gorgeous outfits needs a round of applause as well. She looked like a catwalk model.
Usually she sticks to Lisa McKinnon. No confirmation from Lisa's insta yet. I haven't seen the dresses so I can't say if it's Lisa's style to take an educated guess either
I really admire Starr, I wish she learned how to fix her mistakes, so she can get ahead. It would be wonderful to see her at worlds....
Yeah she needs a new coach

Tinami Amori

(Starr) Yeah she needs a new coach
People are so quick to blame "coaches" and to suggest that if a skater is not doing well he/she needs a "new coach".. :rolleyes: Starr is skating better this year than she did last year... (and Alysa Liu too, does not need a better coach... :D)

Sometimes it is not "the coach" but "the skater"... :lol:

Dobre

I don't have any expectations for Gracie.

The fact is that she wasn't skating, and she is skating now. So something about this scenario is working for her better than the scenario she was facing prior to training at this rink.

She has trained at top rinks. She knows what the top rinks are, and she knows what is involved in that lifestyle. If she wishes to skate & she wishes to skate where she is, then I am happy for her.

I still do not have any expectations. I feel like the negativity we are hearing is coming from people who have expectations for her career. And I can understand that, I suppose, given the statements she made about striving for the Olympics in the press. But if you view this scenario from the perspective of seeing an athlete who had by all accounts quit the sport, I guess you can also see that she A. is skating & apparently because she wants to do so and B. actually competed in a competition.

Which is more than we had any right to expect, as at one point we were under the impression she was done with both.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information