Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
We have an entire thread dedicated to Alysa's father's situation right here in GSD :):

I heard that Phillip DiGuglielmo is coaching Alysa in Montpellier.

ETA that I just saw that Jackie Wong tweeted earlier today “Alysa Liu is here with Phillip DiGuglielmo; Mariah Bell is here without coaches”

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I admit Alysa’s quote in this NBC Sports article by Nick Zaccardi made me chuckle:
She said her preparation for worlds has been better than expected. She also hasn’t put much thought into the Russians’ absence, which makes her a threat to win the first U.S. women’s medal since Ashley Wagner’s silver in 2016.
“I didn’t really have that much of a reaction,” to the ban, Liu said. “I don’t really have like a strong opinion on it, and I also don’t really care too much.”

Allskate

I am so happy for Alysa. That was a very deliberate performance, but she landed everything and she did it under difficult circumstances and at the end of a crazy season. I was on my feet for her in my living room at the end of the program. I'm really looking forward to seeing how she develops artistically.

Mariah may be kicking herself for a couple of little mistakes that would have made the difference between third and fourth, but she has to be proud of herself for fighting for everything and for what it took to get to this performance at this point in her season and career. I absolutely love this program and will miss it. But, I am a big fan of her skating in general and am very glad she's considering continuing.

I feel bad for Karen because I know these two performances were not how she wanted to end the season (and possibly her career).

mtnskater

Holy cow!!! What an exciting finish to the season. I really hoped either Mariah or Alysa could capitalize on this opportunity. I’m over the moon happy for Alysa! Her eyes were popping out of her head when she realized she was going to get the bronze medal. She is such a gamer when it comes to competition. Her future is really bright if she continues to work hard and improve! She looked lovely today too.

Mariah almost had it but skated a bit too tight. But good for her to finish fourth. I love her skating so much. She did her job here for sure!! Proud of her.

The judges clearly like Karen‘s overall skating. I’m a big fan of her beautiful skating too. But somehow she lost jumps this year. She has always had so much potential to medal never realized. I’m sure she will move on next year. And she will have an Olympic team medal.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

Allskate

Alyssa is so refreshingly unfazed by everything. Her attitude is so "I'm just here to have fun and do some jumps" and they she get a medal and her attitude is just "whoa, what just happened? cool!"
I don't get that impression of her. Yes, the performance seems to be very important to her, not just the placement. But, I get the sense that it was not just about having fun. The tears when she finished both her performances and when she was talking to Andrea Joyce spoke volumes.

barbk

Alysa and Mariah did well. I didn't think either of them came anywhere close to Loena or Kaori. I could have seen third place go to either of them. Alysa with better jumps, Mariah with much better choreo and interpretation.

It will be interesting to see who represents the US next year. My only hope is that Karen goes back to college and stays there. I am so tired of watching her blow her jumps over and over again.

I wonder if Levito will follow Alysa's path and win Nationals before she is age-eligible for senior GP/Worlds? (I'm assuming one of the age limitation measures passes. I think she'd be eligible for all senior events next year under the current rules assuming she gets/has qualifying scores.)

skatfan

So happy for our ladies results -3, 4 and 8!

Alysa didn’t get around to applying to college last fall, so maybe she’ll skate next season and do some online college courses.

Mariah seems to have no post-skating plan ready - wonder what she’ll do, while Karen is clearly going to make college her top priority. I wish there were more shows for skaters like Karen.

Allskate

Mariah seems to have no post-skating plan ready - wonder what she’ll do, while Karen is clearly going to make college her top priority. I wish there were more shows for skaters like Karen.

Based on the piece linked above, Mariah seems to be thinking that she might compete next season:

"I don't see why I would stop right now. I don't know if another four years is in the cards for me, but I think this next season would be really fun. I'm national champion, so I can kind of ride the excitement of that and just completely enjoy my skating.
That’s always the goal: To enjoy it – and in doing so, I share that with others, I think."

Or she could become a Pilates instructor. :D

skatfan

Based on the piece linked above, Mariah seems to be thinking that she might compete next season:

"I don't see why I would stop right now. I don't know if another four years is in the cards for me, but I think this next season would be really fun. I'm national champion, so I can kind of ride the excitement of that and just completely enjoy my skating.
That’s always the goal: To enjoy it – and in doing so, I share that with others, I think."

Or she could become a Pilates instructor. ]
Sounds good since she is in good shape. coaching might be the biggest piece to figure out since Adam lives in Pasadena now with his husband, and Raf wants to step back from full time coaching.

Carolla5501

Funny but I look at this competition as a lot more satisfying than the Olympics. There was a certain level of ‘talent’ missing (interpret that how you wish) but it was more joyous and watchable. A lot of idiotic drama was gone

See what happens when you cancel Eteri?
I’m just happy we had a podium where skates weren’t crying, throwing temper tantrum or looking depressed they just won. Maybe if you don’t abuse your skaters they’re happier?

baramin

Has Mariah dipped her toe into coaching at all? I know it's not for every skater, but between the way she's handled her own unorthodox coaching situation this year & the way it looks like her presence was a positive for Alysa at worlds/the Olympics, it might be something that works for her down the line.

Glad all three of our ladies get to end the season with some sort of medal. Too bad Karen couldn't have the performance she wanted (I'm sure she's thought more than once about how, if the Russians had been out last year, she would be world champion). That said, even if you discount our top finisher, our second 2 would still have qualified 3 for next year (4+8=12), so she can feel confident that she did her part for the team, and she did fight through the end of her skate. 8th is a respectable finish, a huge improvement on Beijing.

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
I am absolutely gutted for Miriah Bell :( she was so close to a medal!
Yes, she was close to a medal, but to be honest, she was GLORIOUSLY overscored this week. How the heck did she almost medal with that shaky, stalked Josee Chouinard 1996 jump content is beyond my understanding. I really like Mariah, but she had no business placing above Young You (or even the Georgian girl or KOR #2).

Alysa Liu earned a very well-deserved bronze medal at this event with two classy programs and much more technical content. I am excited for her success, despite the constant coaching changes and father's interference.

SkateFanBerlin

Such a beautiful world championship. I could be totally off-base here, but I think it gives us a little insight on how the skaters themselves feel about well…anyway.
I agree. Though schooled by their federations to refrain from commenting on other skaters these people are no dopes. They know what's going on and have been professionally stung by the actions of another federation. I hope skaters start to speak out about irregularities as Grcaie recently did on Sochi

zigzig

So proud of all our ladies.
I agree. Though schooled by their federations to refrain from commenting on other skaters these people are no dopes. They know what's going on and have been professionally stung by the actions of another federation. I hope skaters start to speak out about irregularities as Grcaie recently did on Sochi
where did she say this? I wanna read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information