Status
Not open for further replies.

natsulian

I think this is worth noting: Mia Kalin landed a 4T2T and 4T< at the Broadmoor Open competition, scoring an impressive 117 for a total of 179 points. Levito fell on her 4T attempt (deemed <<) but landed 7 triples including a 3F3T and 3LzEu3S, scoring 121 for a total competition score of 185. Both ladies are expected to debut on the Junior Grand Prix circuit this season.

Protocols: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2021/29937/CAT004SEG008.html

natsulian

In anticipation of the upcoming Junior Grand Prix assignments and Skate Milwaukee, here is a list of the top six highest scores from the summer competitions (meaning highest short and free skate scores combined from different competitions) the junior women have received:

1. Lindsay Thorngren - 60.76 (Colonial Open) + 129.85 (White Rose Invitational) = 190.61
2. Isabeau Levito - 67.86 (Denver Open) + 121.36 (Broadmoor Open) = 189.22
3. Clare Seo - 63.44 (Broadmoor Open) + 116.66 (Broadmoor Open) = 180.10
4. Mia Kalin - 62.29 (Broadmoor Open) + 117.03 (Broadmoor Open) = 179.32
5. Kanon Smith - 63.78 (La Jolla Open) + 107.64 (La Jolla Open) = 171.42
6. Ava Ziegler - 57.88 (Atlanta Open) + 106.84 (Atlanta Open) = 164.72

I understand that judging is different with each competition and they can never truly be compared, but I hope this gives us a better picture of the scoring possibilities of our junior women. Other top scoring junior women include Adele Zheng (159.49) and Josephine Lee (146.05).

Of the top six junior women, four of them have attempted quadruple jumps or the triple-Axel during competition or practices: Thorngren (3A), Levito (4T), Kalin (4T, 4S, and 3A), and Smith (3A).

ptvvibezz

excited for program announcements
USFS has announced the funding envelopes. Bradie and Karen are on team A. Audrey, Lindsey, Mariah, Starr, Amber, and Alysa are on team B. Gabriella Izzo, Isabeau Levito, Kanon Smith, and Clare Seo are on team C. Team D includes
Jessica Lin, Kate Wang, Elsa Cheng, Tamnhi Huynh, Ava Ziegler, Nicole Park, Kaylee Dobson, Cayetana Gonzalez, Soho Lee, Katie Krafchik, and Rinako Oya.

layman

USFS has announced the funding envelopes. Bradie and Karen are on team A. Audrey, Lindsey, Mariah, Starr, Amber, and Alysa are on team B. Gabriella Izzo, Isabeau Levito, Kanon Smith, and Clare Seo are on team C. Team D includes
Jessica Lin, Kate Wang, Elsa Cheng, Tamnhi Huynh, Ava Ziegler, Nicole Park, Kaylee Dobson, Cayetana Gonzalez, Soho Lee, Katie Krafchik, and Rinako Oya.
I am deeply saddened not to see Ting Cui on any funding envelope or given any Grand Prix assignments. Has she given up on skating?

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I am deeply saddened not to see Ting Cui on any funding envelope or given any Grand Prix assignments. Has she given up on skating?
There was a recent article on her. She's been accepted to a top school, but is competing this season. She performed in an earlier competition a week or so ago, and didn't do well, but she has a good attitude about it. I like her, and she shouldn't be discounted as a potential Olympic team member. I mean, if some are saying Gracie Gold is in the running, then certainly Ting is!

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Interview with Ting Cui

layman

Interview with Ting Cui
Thank you for that! I had no idea that Ting was dealing with such a severe (series of) injuries. It sounds like she still wants to skate...at least for one more season.

I love what she says about Ice Dancing and her idol, Carolina Kostner, because I see how Ice Dancing and Carolina Kostner have influenced her skating. I just love they way that Ting uses her (long) limbs to create beautiful pictures on the ice and to tell a story and Ting has such an effortless glide to her skating, the way she can cover half a rink with a single stroke...it's very similar to Carolina Kostner's technique...Ting has that same speed, flow and glide...it's really, really beautiful.

I would love it if Ting just did singles Ice Dance and left out the jumps (if that is safer) because her skating is exquisite with or without jumps.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Interview with Ting Cui
What in the world is a Trigger Warning. Good grief!

skatingguy

decently
What in the world is a Trigger Warning. Good grief!
A warning that specific content is about to be discussed/addressed that allows people to decide if they want to engage in that subject matter without being surprised by it. It stems from the concern that certain content could trigger a post-traumatic stress reaction in some people - for example a victim of trauma or domestic violence.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
A warning that specific content is about to be discussed/addressed that allows people to decide if they want to engage in that subject matter without being surprised by it. It stems from the concern that certain content could trigger a post-traumatic stress reaction in some people - for example a victim of trauma or domestic violence.
Yes. I usually put that warning if I'm talking about sexual abuse. I hate being "triggered" by it, and when I'm given a Trigger Warning in advance I'd be annoyed enough just by the warning that it wouldn't affect me. It helps.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Puberty isn't a monster, and it doesn't destroy girls. It turns them into women.
And can and has ruined young women's as well as men's careers. It's just a fact of life. You really thought have to realize that a skating or dancing career isn't in the cards so you focus on other things, like your brain. Get the education, get the doctorate. Puberty has never held back any doctor.

Last edited:

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
My god. Has the forum gone insane?

Trite, snippety and reductive conversations abound. I recommend a stiff drink. And for a select few—copious amounts of valium.

-BB
I'm chill. Go Alysa, Amber, and Bradie for the Olympics! I suppose I'll see all three of them in a few months at the GPs. But I am DYING for a Team Eteri facemask!! They don't send out of country. How would I be able to obtain that face mask? I do PayPal, so it's an easy transaction. Any suggestions?

Amber's assignments seem to be in her favor. I so want her to achieve her goals. Just go all out, every time. The "right" people will notice.

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
And can and has ruined young women's as well as men's careers. It's just a fact of life. You really thought have to realize that a skating or dancing career isn't in the cards so you focus on other things, like your brain. Get the education, get the doctorate. Puberty has never held back any doctor.
It's not the puberty that has 'ruined' careers, but how it is handled.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
It's not the puberty that has 'ruined' careers, but how it is handled.
Yes, but sometimes your body is incompatible with your goals. No matter how you handle it. I feel for any athlete who goes through puberty and realizes their new body is just not good enough anymore. It can be devastating if they don't have any other options.

VGThuy

It may change the course of one’s life trajectory in ways that at first can be heart-breaking but calling it a monster doesn’t seem be the healthiest way to accept one’s body and what your new “normal” is going to be. Changing one’s course in life is a lesson and experience many of us have to live with multiple times and if puberty ends up changing your body to the point where you can no longer do what it was you could have done before the body changes, then instead of calling it a monster we instead should take it as a tough life experience where we have to figure out what’s the next step for us. As shown, one can still leave a sport but move on to other fruitful and fulfilling passions. I feel like having such a negative attitude towards it will lead to having unhealthy and negative attitudes towards the body you are built and meant to have.

Also, as @Coco said, it does not HAVE to derail a sporting or athletic-based trajectory. There just needs to be healthy ways for those in authority to adapt teaching methods and create newer and controlled expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information