Will we get 2020-21 GP assignments, and when?

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
It certainly would be for skaters like Nam, who feed of the energy of an audience. Perhaps there are some skaters who would feel less nervous competing in an empty arena, but I'd hazard a guess in saying that those would probably be in the minority. Elite competitors are used to competing in front of an audience.

Agreed, imagine someone like Kurt Browning going out to skate to an empty arena. Would he still be Kurt Browning if he didn’t have the audience there?

Vagabond

A competition is not the same thing as an exhibition performed for a camera.

Any competitive skater getting up from a splat would rather hear applause from supportive fans than a stony silence.

GreatLakesGal

I suspect the decision to cancel the GP series has already been made; they just don't want to announce it yet.

It's shocking how insidious this virus is. I just read that a quarter of the hospitalizations in Texas are now people under 30.

Sylvia

TBD
Talking frequently with a few people who are in the know (and this has not been reported anywhere but whatever), the ISU was fairly recently (around 2 weeks ago) trying to propose the idea to member federations of getting a sixth JGP event in the week following the last event (October 14-17), with the first two being canceled by Slovakia and Canada. So they are/were trying to keep options open.
Riga, Latvia has been added as the new 6th JGP stop according to the latest ISU Communication that was published today (link is posted here): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/slovakia-jgp-and-nepela-canceled.107234/#post-5823163

Last edited:

Dobre

I just read that a quarter of the hospitalizations in Texas are now people under 30.

Do you have a link to where you read this? I found this article from two days ago:
https://tinyurl.com/ycvwnyvu

It says that in one county 20-year-olds make up 50% of cases but with no data on hospitalizations listed there.

It says that in one county twenty-year-olds make up 24% of cases, and the hospitalization number is 8%.

In another county 18 to 40-year-olds make up 21% of hospitalizations.

There are a lot of numbers here so I may be missing something & the article is a couple days old, but the numbers in it don't seem to indicate 25% of 20-year-olds are being hospitalized, though those numbers certainly indicate that the average age of tested young people who are sick has gone way up.

Anyway, age levels for hospitalizations would be good information for state & national data sites to include though. Maybe it is available, and I've simply not noticed it before? We read age levels of people who die quite often, but young people & their employers should be informed about the number of people their age that are hospitalized.

acraven

Great Lakes Gal: "I just read that a quarter of the hospitalizations in Texas are now people under 30."

Dobre: "I found this article from two days ago: https://tinyurl.com/ycvwnyvu ...
The numbers in it don't seem to indicate 25% of 20-year-olds are being hospitalized"

I haven't read the article and have no clue about the facts, but the two numerical statements above are not at all the same thing. The first means that for every 100 people hospitalized in Texas, 25 are now under 30. The second means that of the Texans under 20 (maybe a typo) years old [I presume diagnosed with COVID-19], 25% require hospitalization.

Tinami Amori

I suspect the decision to cancel the GP series has already been made; they just don't want to announce it yet.
Even if such decision has not been made, i just don't see how GP can be managed until all participating countries remove the quarantine and resume normal travel.

CaliSteve

I wonder how they are going to handle the host country's travel restrictions which may prevent certain skaters entry into the host country.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Add MLB to the talks of having to play in a bubble, just as Fauci said could be necessity for the NFL. Still no definitive answers but all sports seem to be leaning towards that being the ONLY way to do it.

These are the biggest sports. Lots of money still there to pay all of the participants- because it is essentially their job to compete. Lots of money still potentially earned through TV rights and memorabilia.

Dobre

Great Lakes Gal: "I just read that a quarter of the hospitalizations in Texas are now people under 30."

Dobre: "I found this article from two days ago: https://tinyurl.com/ycvwnyvu ...
The numbers in it don't seem to indicate 25% of 20-year-olds are being hospitalized"

I haven't read the article and have no clue about the facts, but the two numerical statements above are not at all the same thing.

Thank you for pointing this out. I should have said that the numbers in it don't seem to indicate that 25% of hospitalizations are 20-year-olds. It is too late to edit my post above so I will just leave that here.

PeterG

Any competitive skater getting up from a splat would rather hear applause from supportive fans than a stony silence.

If I was a competitive anything, I would not like it if people clapped after I made an error. I would want silence to push me to focus and excel rather than have a fake feeling of, "you're doing just fine". Pity applause to me would be a kind of mind-f***. It would take away my focus.

gkelly

I experienced, as a skater and as a spectator, audiences clapping after I or an elite skater fell on a jump in a way that was clearly intended as encouragement, to mean "Get up, keep going, you can do it!" That's very different from clapping intended to mean "Congratulations, good job!" The rhythm of the clapping is different.

I wouldn't characterize the former as "pity applause."

Of course, sometimes audiences shower flawed jumps with congratulatory applause because the error isn't immediately obvious -- whether underrotation, two-foot landing, incorrect element according to the rules of the program and what had already been performed. Or they start clapping when a skater first lands the jump and then have to stop when the skater steps out or falls a second later.

In any case, in a competition without spectators the skaters will have to do without all those kinds of clapping.

MsZem

I see the sea
I assume that if competitions are held, skaters will still be allowed in the stands provided that they keep their distance from one another? It seems likely that if we get skating events things will have at least improved to that point. So fellow skaters and credentialed coaches could still support anyone on the ice - not as good as skating for a full house, but any skater who's done junior events and some of the senior B competitions must be used to skating with few people watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information