U.S. Ladies [#25]: Method in the Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinami Amori

Key Points:
- Original coach was 1992 Olympic Pairs Champion Natalia Mishkutionok
I am/was a fan of Mishkytenok/Dmitriev, but she is not doing that great (relatively) with her own daughter's training. And just like her own daughter skates "heavy" and with slightly hunched back, i saw the same in Harrell earlier. But it is better now..

What Harrell has going for her besides the qualities you listed and not being afraid to train 3A/4T, is "musicality" and "spunk". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_5Vo0Rajrg

natsulian

A great quote from Hanna Harrell in a recent article: “I just really want to be able to do one of those difficult jumps not everyone can do, so I can always be in the top. I want them to be like, 'Oh, it's Hanna Harrell, with this jump or this skill.' I can't just be ordinary.”

Good luck to both Hanna and Ting at Junior Worlds tomorrow.

Link: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...rrell-will-reach-for-the-stars-in-zagreb.aspx

alexikeguchi

I missed the live feed due to work (pesky inconvenience...), but I just watched the video and thought Ting looked much more relaxed in this SP. She was able to get down into her knees which improved her stability... I hope she's onto something here. I'm not worried about Hanna's nerves, as she seems to love to perform. Finally, I fail to see what the Russians did that was 5-10 points better than the US girls, but that's for another discussion I guess.

Good job US ladies!

natsulian

I missed the live feed due to work (pesky inconvenience...), but I just watched the video and thought Ting looked much more relaxed in this SP. She was able to get down into her knees which improved her stability... I hope she's onto something here. I'm not worried about Hanna's nerves, as she seems to love to perform. Finally, I fail to see what the Russians did that was 5-10 points better than the US girls, but that's for another discussion I guess.

Good job US ladies!
The PCS... was quite incredulous across the board as apart from the top two Russian girls, no other Junior competitor earned above 29 points in PCS. However, last year, only one competitor managed to nab above 30 points in PCS (Alena) while the rest were huddled together between 26-29. During the Long, only two competitors (Trusova and Alena) managed to score above 60 in PCS while the rest ranged between high 50's and 40's.

Top 8 in PCS:
1. Alexandra Trusova, 31.34
2. Anna Shcherbakova, 31.33
3. Yuna Shiraiwa, 28.98
4. Ting Cui, 28.89
5. Kseniia Sinitsyna, 27.06
6. Tomoe Kawabata, 26.94
7. Young You, 26.32
8. Hanna Harrell, 26.22

natsulian

Hanna should stay in Junior next season, continue to develop her skating skills, speed, and truly make a mark because she's capable of medalling at next year's Junior Worlds. With 2 spots per Junior Grand Prix, the U.S. can start to develop its up-and-coming young ladies and the more experience the better. With Ting medaling at Junior Worlds this year, I'm sure she'll move up to Seniors next year where she'll hopefully make quite a splash. Good luck girls! Next season is going to be even more exciting.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Ting was really enjoying herself out there, good for her. I haven't seen Hanna yet but top 10 is great!

jlai

Question everything
I think with the elimination of nationals for novice and below, and now with more jgp spots, talented novice and intermediate girls will be moving up wanting a shot at those jgp spots.

eta: I am also guessing Cui will move up, and Hanna may do some sr Bs along with jgp. And Liu will be eliglble for jgp next season. The 14 spots couldn't come at a more opportune time!

Last edited:

all_empty

Nice job by Ting and Hannah!

Great for USFS development.

With Japan and Korea tying on placements, who gets two skaters at each JGP (alongside Russia and the US)? Would Japan since Yuna Shiraiwa placed higher than Young You? Maybe only having one spot isn't so bad for Korea, because Yelim and Young become senior eligible next season.

jlai

Question everything
Nice job by Ting and Hannah!

Great for USFS development.

With Japan and Korea tying on placements, who gets two skaters at each JGP (alongside Russia and the US)? Would Japan since Yuna Shiraiwa placed higher than Young You? Maybe only having one spot isn't so bad for Korea, because Yelim and Young become senior eligible next season.
Japan gets two spots each because of a higher placement by the top Japanese lady (Yuna) there. By next season I suspect they will contend much better at the jr level.

natsulian

Ting and Hanna truly brought the goods and delivered spectacular performances. Ting is a late bloomer and Hanna is quite consistent, but requires work on her skating skills, especially speed. Both ladies have SO much potential and once they improve on all their assets, could bring in monstrous scores. Then there’s Alysa, a budding talent who is reaching for the stars and will push both Ting and Hanna technically. Down the line, we have talents like Isabeau, Lindsay, Pooja, and Audrey all vying to prove themselves in the mix. I keep saying it and I’ll say it again, the 2018/2019 season is a season of growth and changes. Hopefully, next season will see the planted seeds begin to develop.

all_empty

Japan gets two spots each because of a higher placement by the top Japanese lady (Yuna) there. By next season I suspect they will contend much better at the jr level.

Thanks, I had meant they tied on total combined placements (14).

Japan is traditionally strong in junior ladies, and have no problems putting their age-eligible skaters (with the exception of Yuhana Yokoi) on the senior circuit.

Yuhana actually ages out of seniors next season.

On the U.S. front (since this is the U.S. thread), it'll be interesting to see the movement as the juniors move up. Karen Chen is kinda in limbo and can't use the returning skater clause as she did compete once this season.

Tennell and Bell will get championship points and should land assignments easily. I suspect the names we have seen for years on the GP -- Hicks, Wang -- won't appear next year.

Last edited:

layman

Last edited:

concorde

Down the line, we have talents like Isabeau, Lindsay, Pooja, and Audrey all vying to prove themselves in the mix.

I find this to be a hodge podge of names since they are all at very different points. Last year domestically, Pooja skated as a senior, Audrey skated as a junior, and both Isabeau and Lindsay skated as Intermediates.

In the fall, Pooja received two international assignments - a JGP and a Senior B. Audrey received one JGP assignment. Following Nationals, Lindsay received a international assignment - an Advanced Novice. Isabeau is super young. I believe she is 10 (maybe 11 by now) so she will not be eligible until the next quad.

Finsta

Why should one girl stay backk and the other move in to senior? Let them both go. Both are good skaters.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I think with the elimination of nationals for novice and below, and now with more jgp spots, talented novice and intermediate girls will be moving up wanting a shot at those jgp spots.
I doubt ladies moving up from novice and intermediate will receive any JGP spots unless they are landing clean triple triples and triple axels in summer club competitions. There are a number of Jr. and Sr. level skaters from this past season
Why should one girl stay backk and the other move in to senior? Let them both go. Both are good skaters.
I think the only reason you would say for Hanna to stay junior on the JGP is she will almost definitely get two spots and can still do senior B's. I don't think she will get senior GP spots with her current international placements except for a host selection Skate America.

jiejie

It's not that simple. There is some strategy involved. Ultimately, it's up to each skater and their team to decide whether to do 100% international junior, 100% international senior, or a transition year doing junior (JGP) + Senior B's. USFSA probably does have preferences in mind based on overall strategy but won't stand in the way of a junior-eligible skater wanting to do all senior.

Immediate opportunities to skate and do well with the judges in one's first full senior season, are boosted by coming off a strong final junior season.

Hanna and Ting are indeed both good skaters but are at different places. Ting is a year older and now has two seasons of junior under her belt, including a JW medal. She also skated Senior B (Tallinn Trophy) to get a qualifying senior score, and was selected for Four Continents, one of the top senior competitions. Hanna has had less exposure to international judges over the last two years and I believe has had to work around some injuries. She also doesn't have the skating skills and inherent musicality of Ting, though she does have a performance "it" factor. I think Hanna would benefit by filling out and polishing her international junior resume for another season, vs jumping into seniors as a tiny minnow in a big skating pond. And as said above, like Ting this year, she could go to a late fall Senior B to try out a senior length program and get minimums for 4CC and Worlds.

jlai

Question everything
I doubt ladies moving up from novice and intermediate will receive any JGP spots unless they are landing clean triple triples and triple axels in summer club competitions. There are a number of Jr. and Sr. level skaters from this past season
Even with the limited jgp opportunities this season, girls didn't need 3/3 and 3A to get picked for jgp. GIrls got picked were often the ones with the highest summer scores. (e.g. Izzo) Also, the novice boys that got picked for jgps previously were not landing more jumps than the jrs.

Next year is the first year when novice and intermediate girls don't get to do nationals. If I am a v talented girl I will seriously consider moving up just for that, not to mention the increased opportunities for jgps.

Last edited:

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Even with the limited jgp opportunities this season, girls didn't need 3/3 and 3A to get picked for jgp. GIrls got picked were often the ones with the highest summer scores. (e.g. Izzo) Also, the novice boys that got picked for jgps previously were not landing more jumps than the jrs.

Next year is the first year when novice and intermediate girls don't get to do nationals. If I am a v talented girl I will seriously consider moving up just for that, not to mention the increased opportunities for jgps.
I didn't mean to post that reply. I don't know why it kept my response from the other day and posted it on a new reply. I completely agree with you but I will leave the post up because it is just make it confusing if I delete it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information