Movie Awards Season 2018-19 Road to Oscar

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I put it here because we talked about it here because of the acceptance speeches when it won awards. I think I get what he's saying... that the project existed before he was attached and that they fired him when he exhibited problematic behavior. But... not sure I agree that this makes it all okay.

VGThuy

I put it here because we talked about it here because of the acceptance speeches when it won awards. I think I get what he's saying... that the project existed before he was attached and that they fired him when he exhibited problematic behavior. But... not sure I agree that this makes it all okay.

There's been some articles that came out where Malek said he didn't know about the allegations against Singer before he signed on, though I sort of find that hard to believe, and then mentioned something about the spirit of Freddie Mercury shielding him from knowing about it and to just complete the movie. It's being mocked on social media right now. I sort of feel bad because I don't think he was prepared for these questions at all. At the Globes, it seemed like the whole BR team could get away with just not mentioning Singer at all but people aren't ignoring it so they have to deal with the aftermath.

VGThuy

NY Times feature by film critics A.O. Scott and Wesley Morris on the Best Performances of 2018 featuring Glenn Close, Ethan Hawke, Toni Collette, Lakeith Stanfield, Regina Hall, Julia Roberts, Yalitzia Aparicio, Elsie Fisher, Yoo Ah-In, Emma Stone, Rachel Weisz, and Olivia Colman:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/12/05/magazine/great-performers-best-actors-2018.html

I loved their blurbs about each performance.

Each listed performer did a short dance film choreographed by Justin Peck:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/12/05/magazine/great-performers-justin-peck-dance.html

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Of all of those synopses of the actor's strengths and roles, the only film/actor I'd seen this year was Lakeith Stanfield. And it was dead on, so kudos to that article! Makes me want to see the other films.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
At the Globes, it seemed like the whole BR team could get away with just not mentioning Singer at all but people aren't ignoring it so they have to deal with the aftermath.

Yeah, there are some people who can't even mention Bohemian Rhapsody without making sure they get in some reference to it.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
SAGs are tomorrow night. Any predictions?

I am not good at making predictions but I will give it a try (movies only; I don’t watch TV)

Best actor - Christian Bale (Vice)
Best actress - Glenn Close (The Wife)
Best supporting actor - Richard E. grant (can you ever forgive me?)
Best supporting actress - Rachel Weisz (The Favourite)
Best ensemble- Bohemian Rhapsody

BaileyCatts

Good lord who wrote these jokes for the SAG Awards! This is awful. I don't even know if I'm gonna make it to the end of the show. I can find out who won tomorrow if the show remains to be this bad. :blah::blah:

annie720

Good lord who wrote these jokes for the SAG Awards! This is awful. I don't even know if I'm gonna make it to the end of the show. I can find out who won tomorrow if the show remains to be this bad. :blah::blah:

I was tempted to check out as well for the same reason, but then I got interested in the awards and seeing everyone.

VGThuy

With Emily Blunt winning Best Supporting Actress for A Quiet Place and not receiving a nomination at the Oscar, I think the non-SAG nominated Regina King will win the Oscar now.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I have an issue with Ali winning Best Supporting Actor when he's really a co-lead in Green Book.
I've been seeing this sentiment come up a lot. This pretty much cements his Oscar win now though doesn't it? He hasn't lost once and all that's left I think is the BAFTA's?

annie720

With Emily Blunt winning Best Supporting Actress for A Quiet Place and not receiving a nomination at the Oscar, I think the non-SAG nominated Regina King will win the Oscar now.

That's ok with me. I loved Regina King's performance in Beale St.

screech

Emily Blunt was definitely a surprise. And though I haven't seen Green Book, from all I've heard Ali is a co-lead. From what I recall, the same kind of things were said when Jennifer Connelly was listed as a supporting role for A Beautiful Mind too - worked well for her!

Only joke I've liked so far was Tracy Morgan saying being a SAG winner, and surviving getting hit by a Walmart truck, making you set for life.

Also, Was Tony Shaloub winning a surprise? Though I haven't seen any of the shows (Maisel and Barry are on my list), I'd kind of assumed it would be Michael Douglas.

Allskate

Emily Blunt was definitely a surprise. And though I haven't seen Green Book, from all I've heard Ali is a co-lead. From what I recall, the same kind of things were said when Jennifer Connelly was listed as a supporting role for A Beautiful Mind too - worked well for her!

Ali is definitely a lead. More than Jennifer Connelly was. It's an excellent performance, but as a lead actor.

VGThuy

Speaking of Best Supporting Actress, funny enough, I think Marina de Tavira might have a chance if they want to give Roma an acting award. She's really the best bet and her not being nominated for anything else (like Marcia Gay Harden) actually means she doesn't really have a "losing" record.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Ali is definitely a lead. More than Jennifer Connelly was. It's an excellent performance, but as a lead actor.

Alicia Vikander’s award as supporting actress for The Danish Girl was questionable but Ali’s is more so.

screech

Anyone else think Laverne Cox came off kind of... not good? She walked out way in front of Awkwafina, worked to pull focus too much...
Also, happy for Jason Bateman, but how the flying fork was Matthew Rhys not even nominated?

screech

Oooh, best actor is definitely interesting now! Rami might have pulled ahead with this win, though with Bryan Singer's sexual assault issues potentially working against the film as a whole, who really knows?

VGThuy

Oooh, best actor is definitely interesting now! Rami might have pulled ahead with this win, though the Bryan Singer issues could work against him now...

That IS interesting. I wonder if this means Lady Gaga might win now if SAG rewarded Malek's performance.

BaileyCatts

Since I don't even go to the movies and haven't seen any of these films, I guess I don't really have an opinion about what the Best Film (or cast or whatever it was) should be but ... Black Panther? Really? Isn't that kinda like a super-hero movie? I haven't seen it.

screech

So heading into the Oscars, I found this article from last year (before all the awards ceremonies took place), measuring the correlation between SAG wins and Oscar wins.

Up to and including the 2017 awards...
- Half of the best ensemble winners go on to win best picture. So there's no telling who'll win best picture from SAG. The Producer's Guild is usually a better predictor (8 out of 10 winning the Oscar), which would indicate Green Book winning best picture this year
- For over a decade, best actor has been the same at both, with the exception of 2017 (when Denzel won the SAG and Casey Affleck the Oscar). So it seems Rami is the clear frontrunner here.
- Of the previous decade, 7 of the 10 SAG winners had won best actress at the Oscars. So Glenn is definitely the frontrunner now, though it's not a clear runaway.
- Other than 2 years (2012 and 2015), the past decade has seen the SAG winner for supporting actor go on to win Oscar gold. So looks like Mahershala will be getting a second Oscar.
- The last decade has had perfect correlation between supporting actress, with the only twist being Kate Winslet winning supporting actress at the SAG and going on to win best actress for the same film at the Oscars (that's the year Penelope Cruz won at the Oscars for supporting actress). This one will definitely not match this year, as Emily Blunt is not nominated for an Oscar.

Allskate

Black Panther? Really? Isn't that kinda like a super-hero movie? I haven't seen it.

I have said this before and will say it again. "Black Panther" is not simply a "super-hero movie." It is not like most super-hero movies. I don't even usually like super hero movies and saw it reluctantly, but I thought it was brilliant and very thought-provoking. Having said that, I do think that there are plenty of other movies that had ensembles that were just as good. Although I didn't care much for "The Favourite," I did think the acting was really good across the board. Ditto for the acting in "The Green Book" and "A Star is Born."

Jay42

Between the click of the light
This one will definitely not match this year, as Emily Blunt is not nominated for an Oscar.
She should have been :shuffle:

That said, I don't have a problem with Regina King winning, I haven't seen her in a lot, but I've enjoyed her in what I have seen. I just have feelings about Emily Blunt's lack of Oscar nominations.

I'm intrigued as to what will happen in Best Lead Actress at the BAFTA's, even with Glenn Close as the front runner now, Olivia Colman is very loved in England.

VGThuy

Since I don't even go to the movies and haven't seen any of these films, I guess I don't really have an opinion about what the Best Film (or cast or whatever it was) should be but ... Black Panther? Really? Isn't that kinda like a super-hero movie? I haven't seen it.

Honestly, among those nominees, I’m fine with Black Panther winning. The Favourite for some reason was snubbed and some of my favorite acted films aren’t getting any televised awards attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information