Status
Not open for further replies.

VGThuy

I feel like there was already a season where she did!
I felt like that was the Olympic season. She just kept changing her SP and LP and never got comfortable that season. Her inability to settling and get comfortable with a program probably was an extension of how she was feeling with her boot situation as well.

VGThuy

I love the music of The Lady Caliph and I hate the music of Requiem for a Dream, but I think Karen did need to do something. Maybe the music will wake her up and wake up her 3/3 as well.

nguyhm

Having followed his skating for a few years, I found him to be rather apologetic in person. That said, I suspect he is not good with words, and say things that came off wrong. Wouldn't be the first or the last skater to do so.
Mirai caught a lot of heat for talking about her "participation" in winning the team event bronze medal. The skaters are put under such scrutiny for everything they say or do. They're only humans and behave in the most humanly way. I was proud of Mirai's accomplishment and don't have any problem if she wanted to "brag" about it. She worked very hard and deserved to be recognized. (Sorry for the slight "derail").

giselle23

Yeah, I'm not sure the criticism of Zagitova (and possibly Valieva) winning the Olympics their first season on the senior circuit is really fair. Not many people around here would have been complaining had Sasha Cohen managed that feat twenty years ago (except me, the Sarah Hughes-uber, lol). Had the current age limits been in place, Oksana Baiul would have been in her first senior season when she won the Olympics, same for Tara Lipinski in 1998. Honestly, it's a pretty remarkable thing, to be able to win the Olympics your first season competing at the senior level.

Now, I wouldn't have a problem if the age limit was raised but I don't see how that is going to necessarily prevent skaters from spending just one or two seasons on the senior international level competing and, if they hit the birthday year lottery just right, winning the Olympics their first season out. Beyond that, skaters like Valieva are really very special and insanely talented. Not every single first year senior is going to have the rare, pure raw talent she has (otherwise the Russian Women going to Euros would also include Khromykh and Sinitsyna, who both finished behind Tuk - who is no spring chicken).

The USFS needs to figure out how to properly develop our women - there's something missing in the sauce right now, and it starts with the basics. I think they're doing fine with the domestic IJS in rewarding more difficult jumps and 3-3s at the lower levels but I don't think rewarding the 3As, quads and 3-3s at the senior level domestically will do much good. By then, the die has already been cast.
Raising the age limit won't do any good as far as skaters winning it all in their first season. It will just make it more likely that a recent junior will be Olympic champion. And I think a lot of people would have complained about Sasha Cohen if she had won--such as the thousands (millions?) of Michelle Kwan fans. Oksana might not have won the Olympics if she wasn't the current World Champion; likewise Tara Lipinski. Both won in close decisions that remain controversial to this day. I wonder if we will ever have another "legendary" ladies skater again, who has remained on or near the top for a number of years.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
So the announcement of the women's team is a commercial-break filler during the men's competition. That's not a good look.

VGThuy

It'll probably happen during an ice resurfacing and they'll delay the final group until the announcement was made, then start the warm-up in time for television. They'll have it all planned out for television timing. I don't really see the big deal. It's not like gymnastics where they ever made a big showing of the announcements of the team. Usually, it happens in some sort of press briefing way after the competition and we waited for journalists to tell us.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
And, chances are, they will do the same for the Pairs and Ice Dance announcements the next day during the Men's FS.

On My Own

I liked Karen's Requiem for a Dream SP, but I wish she were doing something similar to her On Golden Pond.

I think the La Calipha SP challenged her, but maybe it's better to do something more comfortable during the Olympics.

VGThuy

To refresh people's memories, here's her 2015 Nationals SP performance to Requiem for a Dream:

It actually provides a nice contrast to her Butterfly Lovers LP.

ETA: It's jarring to see that video because she skated so much lighter and freer than she has for years...before life beat her up.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
IMO it sends a message that women's skating is less important than men's when the women's team is announced before the men's competition is over. All the teams should be announced at the same time, on their own.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
IMO it sends a message that women's skating is less important than men's when the women's team is announced before the men's competition is over. All the teams should be announced at the same time, on their own.
That's an opinion for sure. :lol: Women's skating is still the marquee event of the Olympics and they are the ones still getting weekend primetime long program coverage in the US.

They are also getting on-air coverage of the announcement while the men are the last event and likely won't get the same attention.

One final thought: in 2018, I'm 99% certain that the mens team was announced before the free dance took place. I know they decided shortly after the free skate on Saturday night (as I communicated Miner being off the team), and the free dance wasn't until mid-day the next day. I guess they care equally about the men and the women.

Last edited:

nylynnr

The criticism against Abbott in 2014 began with his 7th place finish in the Team Event SP and his subsequent comments:

He was hardly the only skater to be skeptical about the Team Event, especially the first one, but the "all about me" tone, plus frustration with how well he skated at pre-Olympics Nationals followed by not-great Olympic SP's in the TE or individual event, left a sour taste in many fans' mouths. Especially after seeing the commitment and jubilation of the Russian team in Sochi, which really elevated the importance of the TE, if in retrospect.
This is my most regrettable figure skating moment. I asked Jeremy, "Well, is there any way you can turn this into a positive? Something like, you got the nerves out and individual will be better?" But, of course, the nature of the question was not included in the many reports from Sochi. Jeremy was always extremely forthcoming with reporters, thus providing a lot of fodder.

Sonata

To refresh people's memories, here's her 2015 Nationals SP performance to Requiem for a Dream:

It actually provides a nice contrast to her Butterfly Lovers LP.

ETA: It's jarring to see that video because she skated so much lighter and freer than she has for years...before life beat her up.
This is probably also symbolic reuse of music, as it was the music she first used as a senior. I’m glad she’s changed the SP (while a nice piece, I found it didn’t have enough build up) although I was hoping she’d go back to On Golden Pond. It highlights her quiet elegance.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Anna Li (UCLA Gymnastics) used this for her floor routine in her final season. The phrase, requiem for a dream, without the context of the book or the movie, seems appropriate for an athlete looking back over their career. Some dreams came true, some didn't.

Or maybe...pursuit of Olympic Glory is an addiction?

I'll just be overthinking things while I procrastinate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information