Status
Not open for further replies.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Bradie is out of GP Italy. Not unexpected but still :(.

Oh no..... I am in a million depressions. She is not my favorite skater by far, but she has done so much for USFS in the last four years, and basically was THE senior US lady all that time. So in the spirit of fairness I felt that from the start that Bradie should be the first to be named, just on account of her service and that she's still top10 competitive. Plus, I WANT to see her there, because she has been really nice and friendly to me everytime I've seen her, and it's not an act that she puts on. I just like her.

Heal up, Bradie. Life throws you curves, and you can handle it. Just do your best every day. If it's not enough, then it wasn't supposed to happen then, sadly. 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Starr Andrews was a replacement for Bradie Tennell, who is recovering from an injury. Audrey Shin is one of several skaters of at least partial Asian ancestry who could have been assigned.

I don't think USFS cares all that much about diversity when it makes assignments to Skate America. It does care about making sure that its deserving skaters get to compete on the Grand Prix.
Sponsors AND the ISU most certainly do care about diversity, so I suspect that USFS does too. That said, I thought that the three US women at SkAm performed very well, even though I realize that Shin is going through growing changes & related injury issues.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Phil Hersh reported that she is also out of the Challenger Series event in Austria mid-November
Heartbreaking. So she only has her performance at Nationals that will be held into consideration? Oh well, if she comes back strong and places top 3 she'll get named to the team. I would hope.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I hope this is not a Kwan-in-2006 situation. Tennell deserves every chance to make the team and certainly her BOW is stronger than anyone else's this quad. (And I am really not a fan.) But if she is seriously injured enough to miss the whole fall competition season, I would hope her camp and USFS would decide carefully about sending her to Beijing.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Heartbreaking. So she only has her performance at Nationals that will be held into consideration? Oh well, if she comes back strong and places top 3 she'll get named to the team. I would hope.
She has a 2nd Challenger assignment - Warsaw Cup Nov 18-21. The USFS international assignments page still shows her assigned to Cup of Austria Nov 11-14 so it seems like it's taking a week-to-week approach on withdrawing her. There would also be an opportunity for her to be assigned to Golden Spin which is Dec 8-11 if she is healed by then. Hopefully she'll get in at least one competition before Nationals.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Phil Hersh reported that she is also out of the Challenger Series event in Austria mid-November

Wow.. worried about how she will be in condition to make an Olympic team. I guess we won’t see her until nationals then? I guess it makes it a bit more exciting because we don’t know who to expect for the team but I would say Alysa is the lock and a mix of Amber, Karen, Mariah, Lindsey and Bradie, who knows

olympic

I rewatched Amber at SkAm. I noticed she does not do a 3 jump combo or a 3S. Does anyone know if she will work towards that? That is 3-4 points on the table if she can

Sylvia

TBD

Karen-W

Looking at the US team selection criteria, Bradie is going to have to kill it at Nationals and hope Karen and others not Alyssa stay in group 3.
Unless she is well enough to make it to Warsaw Cup and is also assigned to Golden Spin, then, yes, I would agree.

skatingguy

decently
Maybe the goal of team Amber was first go clean and then loftier ambitions were to follow?
It's a difficult call because she doesn't have same history of success that some of the others vying for the Olympic spots have. Alysa Liu is a lock at this point, so that leaves two spots. Karen Chen seems to be in line for one, and the final spot is hard to predict, particularly with Tennell's injury. If Tennell goes to US Nationals & nails a clean skate she probably gets the spot unless someone else, like Amber, has been so good that they can't leave her behind, and I'm not sure you get that by playing it safe.

beckab81

I rewatched Amber at SkAm. I noticed she does not do a 3 jump combo or a 3S. Does anyone know if she will work towards that? That is 3-4 points on the table if she can
As she was coming off the ice I thought I heard her say something like "I couldn't add the loop", which made me think she had a 3-3-2 combo planned, but was slightly off balance & couldn't execute it. As Sylvia mentioned, she's competed it before.

Also, huge congrats to Amber for finally breaking 200 points internationally!!!

VGThuy

Moving forward to Skate Canada, Karen has to know her chances for a medal is incredibly low. So she just needs to focus on what she can control, and try to hit that 208+ or even better score. The more she does it, the more likely she can move up to Group 2 even if some would argue her earlier comps brought down her average, if she gets more two more 208+ scores, she can argue her “median” is in the 208+ with her Worlds 2021 score, and thus meets the “consistently” threshold (since it’s not defined) and concentrate on hitting top 5 (preferably top 3) at nationals.

RoseRed

Moving forward to Skate Canada, Karen has to know her chances for a medal is incredibly low. So she just needs to focus on what she can control, and try to hit that 208+ or even better score. The more she does it, the more likely she can move up to Group 2 even if some would argue her earlier comps brought down her average, if she gets more two more 208+ scores, she can argue her “median” is in the 208+ with her Worlds 2021 score, and thus meets the “consistently” threshold (since it’s not defined) and concentrate on hitting top 5 (preferably top 3) at nationals.
The selection document says this:
Consistency will be based on taking the median score whenever the athletes/teams compete at the identified international events in 1.2.1. The median score will then 8 be compared to the benchmark scores needed to place in the Top 3, Top 5 or Top 10 at the 2021 ISU World Figure Skating Championships.
And also this:
Athletes/teams who placed in the top 3 at the 2022 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships (or successfully petitioned) AND have consistently attained international scores that would place them in the top 3 in the 2022 Olympic Winter Games. This is evaluated as athletes/teams who consistently achieve scores that would place them in the top 3 at the 2021 World Championships as indicated in Table 1 above (athlete’s/team’s median score from the identified international events is greater than or equal to the total score from the 3rd place finishers from the 2021 World Championships).
*This language is there for the other groups as well.

The only factor they don't define is how they would judge a skater who only had say two international scores to count, where you can't properly take a median.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Maybe I'm missing something, but consistently scoring at or above a certain threshold, and having your median score out of a minimum of three competitions be above that certain threshold are too wildly different things.

RoseRed

Maybe I'm missing something, but consistently scoring at or above a certain threshold, and having your median score out of a minimum of three competitions be above that certain threshold are too wildly different things.
The USFS has stated in the document that they will be measuring consistency based on the median score. It might be a flawed way to do it, but that's how they defined it.

Karen-W

As was pointed out in the US Men discussion, Worlds 2021 does count - it is listed as one of the competitions that will be used to determine the median score. As long as Karen is able to score 208+ in both of her GPs and at Nationals, she will most certainly move into Group 2 since her ACI and Finlandia scores will be the two below the median.
The only factor they don't define is how they would judge a skater who only had say two international scores to count, where you can't properly take a median.
Well, 2022 Nationals counts as one of the events, it's not just the designated internationals (GP/JGP, GPF/JGPF, and Challengers), so there would be three events if the skater in question only had two international assignments.

They are - if you are a wildly inconsistent skater or you have a really bad competition (a la Nathan @ Skate America or Karen @ ACI).
The USFS has stated in the document that they will be measuring consistency based on the median score. It might be a flawed way to do it, but that's how they defined it.
I don't think it is flawed to expect skaters to demonstrate they are able to score above a certain threshold on multiple occasions. The fact is, even if you're a Nathan with that one bad Skate America score, it's going to wind up at the bottom of the list from which the median is determined as long as he can bring his scoring up about 25 points next week, and keeping it up there for the GPF, then he will remain in Group 1. Same with Karen - if she can keep moving her score up through the GP then both ACI and Finlandia will wind up on the lower side of the median and she'll be fine for Group 2. Same goes for Bradie if she is able to make it Warsaw Cup and/or Golden Spin - as long as she is healthy and scores around what she did at Worlds when she was battling her boot problems, she'll easily be in Group 3, possibly Group 2 if she can get up to 208+.

Every single skater knows exactly what sort of scores they need to hit, at least twice (or more, depending on how many international assignments they wind up with) to qualify into any particular group. I'd much rather the skaters we send to the Olympics demonstrate an ability to score at a certain level at least a few times rather than manage to hit it just once at Nationals.
Wow, I hope she doesn't have a boot problem year like Chen did a while back. Not a good year. Did she miss out on the Olympics that year?
Karen was on the 2018 Olympic team. She reported that boot issues were the cause of her poor performances at those Olympics.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
The "consistently scores" part of the selection criteria refers to international events. They don't consider Nationals as a score to be factored in with the other scores earned internationally.

Marco

she has done so much for USFS in the last four years, and basically was THE senior US lady all that time. So in the spirit of fairness I felt that from the start that Bradie should be the first to be named, just on account of her service and that she's still top10 competitive.
If they didn't care to use this line of thought on Ashley in 2018 when she was the first to medal at Worlds in 10 years [and when BOW definitions were vague], then they won't use it on Bradie in 2022 [when the requirements are much clearer]. If Bradie wants to make the Olympic team she needs to place top 3 at Nationals as a start.

Vagabond

I wish Bradie Tennell a speedy recovery, but I think the selection criteria are fair. If she cannot either (1) finish in the top three at Nationals or (2) support her 197.81 score from Worlds in one or two Challengers events and then finish fourth or fifth at Nationals, then USFS shouldn't be favoring her over those who do meet those targets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information