Status
Not open for further replies.

sk9tingfan

dancing_on_ice

Maybe a slightly better youtube version, especially in full screen mode:

Looking much better than the short program. She was probably distracted by her hair falling down in it, which is why she did the 3F-2T and the spins were questionable. In this program, her spins are looking much better, and she did both triple triple combinations in the second half, and they look pretty solid.

all_empty

Some thoughts...

It's always nice to see Alysa smiling through her program.

I wasn't super inspired by the LP segment.

It's structurally and musically similar to last year's program, which is fine as she's working on expression and going through physical maturity.

She's changed the 3Lz+euler+3S sequence to a 3F+eueler+3S sequence.

If the 4Lz isn't working/ready, that makes sense so she can do a 3Lz in the beginning of her program. However, if she's also doing two 3A, she'll need to do some quick thinking because she'll get a Zayak violation for this:

3A+2T
3Lz
3A
3Lo
3Lz+3T
3F+eueler+3S
3F

Won't be an issue if the first Lutz is a quad (she could also replace, say, the 3F at the end with a 2A). Just stuff for her team to think of.

ana

I like her FP, she skated more relaxed in the free. She's a lovely girl, but I don't like her make-up. She needs something more natural for her age.

sk9tingfan

I like her FP, she skated more relaxed in the free. She's a lovely girl, but I don't like her make-up. She needs something more natural for her age.
They need to find someone else fast. The makeup is garish.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Because her team were looking at Orser (she even went to the Cricket Club to skate for a while) before they settled on this strange text-coach arrangement with her in San Francisco without a technical coach.

Did that answer my question? She already has a technical coach in Canada that she can't work with. Why would switching to a different one help?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Senior Ladies in ISP yet to compete this season, that I am aware of... Ting Cui, Caitlin Ha, Hanna Harrell, Gabriella Izzo, Emily Zhang

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Every skater goes through puberty at some point. It must be tough for competitors who have worked so hard to get where they are, suddenly dealing with a changing body, and the variables which go along with that in a highly public setting.

Sometimes athletes lose their bigger tricks, never to find them again. Others come out stronger on the other side. The sport has, and will always be, such a crap shoot.

I try not to emotionally attach myself hoping for the sport's next big star, and simply enjoy watching the process and the journey.

At last weekend's Carnival On Ice, in spite of the lashings she and her crew are getting from such armchair critics as TSL, I thought Liu looked lovely, and seemed to be enjoying herself out there. What is more important than that?

Clearly David Lease and Jonathan Beyer don't get they are dealing with children and young people, where constructive criticism and considered feedback mean the world. At their worst, their eye-rolling commentary targets and bullies for the sake of entertainment.

On the flip side, the athletes are more grown up and professional than these 'experts' ever will be.

Last edited:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
SENIOR LADIES FS Top Scores This Season
Mariah Bell 135.09 ISP
Bradie Tennell 131.67 ISP
Amber Glenn 129.29 ISP
Lindsay Thorngren 128.12 E Boston
Karen Chen 123.59 ISP
Alysa Liu 119.59 ISP
Pooja Kalyan 119.01 M Co Springs
Audrey Shin 117.15 ISP
Finley Hawk 111.07 M Madison
Sierra Venetta 106.38 P Cup of CO
Violeta Ushakova 102.41 E Hershey
Rena Ikenishi 99.61 ISP
Wren Warne-Jacobsen 98.72 M Shakopee
Starr Andrews 98.66 P ISP
Calista Choi 98.46 M Battle of Blades
Sarah Jung 97.94 E Cup of CO
Paige Rydberg 97.05 M ISP
Sonja Hilmer 96.48 M Cup of CO
Isabelle Inthisone 85.60 Battle of Bladies
Gracie Gold 84.59 ISP

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I’m wondering about Ting Cui...any word? I know that she was off for most of last season with ankle injury (before everyone was off for *****). Has she been spotted on the comeback trail?

Jammers

So just who is Alysa's coach now? Does she have anyone that is working just on her skating skills and speed because without improvements on both she will lose her jumps now that she's growing. This virus has really slowed her progress since she hasn't been able to practice like she wants to keep in shape and can't train with her coach.

NAOTMAA

Massimo Scali is her regular coach (at the Oakland rink/North Cal.)
Lee Barkell is her tech coach (and supposedly trains her via Skype or sim resource).

Was that always going to be the arrangement with Lee or did the current world health crisis force it?

NAOTMAA

The latter. Alysa has not been able to travel to Canada as originally planned (there are 2 recent articles posted in the "Alysa Liu Ready for Change" thread in GSD).

That's what I thought but reading here and elsewhere started giving me the impression it was the original plan and that Lee wouldn't always be with her and that she was just an advisor but not the main coach.

dancing_on_ice

Was that always going to be the arrangement with Lee or did the current world health crisis force it?

It's hard to tell. Even if there was no pandemic, Granite Rink is in Toronto and Alysa lives in the Bay Area. That's a one-way six-hour flight across several time zones. Alysa does online schooling, so her schedule is more flexible, but it still sounds a little crazy if they were planning on going to Toronto and traveling that much regularly (every week, per se). The likelier scenario would be Alysa only being able to train with Lee once every two weeks or more, and she would still be spending the majority of her time training her jumps on her own.

I still feel hesitant about this coaching move, especially since Alysa's adjusting to her new height, and we've seen how skaters really struggle without their coaches there with them. Shoma totally collapsed when he was coachless in the Grand Prix series last year, and he was a different skater once he started training with Lambiel. Zhenya had to go back to Eteri since it was too difficult to keep training with Brian just over Zoom. I'm not sure how well this can go without a jump coach there with Alysa.

Willin

There are plenty of excellent jump coaches in the Bay Area who could assist her. Kristi Yamaguchi's coach is back doing coaching here and there, Polina's coach is still working, Rudy Galindo is a big name in bay area coaching, etc. There's even a few at her home rink that coach jumps well. She's previously worked with a jump coach in Fremont to get her triples. I have no idea why she can't find someone closer to home beyond USFS's obsession with their top skaters having top coaches.

Debbie S

Does missing either Points Challenge mean Ting can't compete at Nationals? (if there is one)
No, Nats qualification (other than those who have received byes) is based on the qualifying comp series that will take place in Nov and Dec. I think there are 8 comps and skaters need to finish in top 6 (I think?) in the series.

Sylvia

TBD
Does missing either Points Challenge mean Ting can't compete at Nationals?
No, Nats qualification (other than those who have received byes) is based on the qualifying comp series that will take place in Nov and Dec. I think there are 8 comps and skaters need to finish in top 6 (I think?) in the series.
More info on Nationals qualification here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/usfs-qualifying-season-plans.107464/page-4#post-5873423

Marco

Thanks Debbie and Sylvia. I suppose we are all very uncertain whether future qualifying comps or regionals / sectionals will still be held.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information