Status
Not open for further replies.

natsulian

This has not been a kind year to anyone and simply having the opportunity to watch and enjoy figure skating is a privilege.

I loved seeing Alysa’s improvements and was wowed by Bradie’s attack and confidence. With one big competition (Skate America) and rinks going through a cycle of being locked and re-opened, our ladies did a fantastic job.

Highlights of the night:
  • Alysa seems to have adjusted to her growth spurt and is skating with much more speed and maturity despite a lackluster program. She really tried to sell it.
  • Bradie’s fierceness and attack on the ice has always been my favorite aspect of her skating and she delivered (and then some) tonight.
  • Amber going clean (let’s forget about the downgraded triple-Axel) and skating with passion and emotion.
  • Karen was beautiful and remains one of the great talents of the sport. In my opinion, no lady rivals her artistry right now.
  • Hanna, Emilia, and Pooja skated decently but more than the skating, their story of overcoming injuries was truly inspiring and made their skates much more emotional.
  • Honorable Mentions: Mariah, Lindsay, and Rena.

feraina

So happy and proud of Alysa. She looked so mature and confident as soon as she stepped on the ice. I was like, well hello, who is this young woman? I love how she’s always so genuinely sunny. I guess her coach is right after all: why can’t she challenge for the title, given her technical arsenal is too-notch among US ladies even without the quads and 3A? She has the same technical difficulty as the other top ladies and her jumps are more secure. I guess it’s actually good she couldn’t train her harder jumps for a while. She was forced to work on her components to compete with the other girls.
But I also realized that she has really good jump technique. She manages to still rotate extremely fast even though she’s gained hips and curves. She snaps into a very tight rotating position immediately, and then stays very tight until landing. She’s also really patient in her combo, where she gets her toe pick in for a good assist to get height and rotation on her 3t (something I notice Mariah and Brady don’t really do, and Ashley before them). I think there’s a good chance she’ll get her 3A back, and maybe her quads too. I give her a better chance of beating a Japanese or Russian girl next year than any other American lady. American girls are just going to fall farther and farther behind without the harder jumps. It’s unfortunately down to not having learned great techniques at a young age - it’s very hard for skaters like Karen and Mariah to completely revamp their jump technique at this point. Even Brady was lucky to not get called on her combo.
All that said, most of the top girls skated very well for themselves given this had been a tough year on everybody.
Sad for Gracie. I guess she was always a nervous competitor.
We’re lucky the current top three are all good competitors.

sjs5572

So happy and proud of Alysa. She looked so mature and confident as soon as she stepped on the ice. I was like, well hello, who is this young woman? I love how she’s always so genuinely sunny. I guess her coach is right after all: why can’t she challenge for the title, given her technical arsenal is too-notch among US ladies even without the quads and 3A? She has the same technical difficulty as the other top ladies and her jumps are more secure. I guess it’s actually good she couldn’t train her harder jumps for a while. She was forced to work on her components to compete with the other girls.
But I also realized that she has really good jump technique. She manages to still rotate extremely fast even though she’s gained hips and curves. She snaps into a very tight rotating position immediately, and then stays very tight until landing. She’s also really patient in her combo, where she gets her toe pick in for a good assist to get height and rotation on her 3t (something I notice Mariah and Brady don’t really do, and Ashley before them). I think there’s a good chance she’ll get her 3A back, and maybe her quads too. I give her a better chance of beating a Japanese or Russian girl next year than any other American lady. American girls are just going to fall farther and farther behind without the harder jumps. It’s unfortunately down to not having learned great techniques at a young age - it’s very hard for skaters like Karen and Mariah to completely revamp their jump technique at this point. Even Brady was lucky to not get called on her combo.
All that said, most of the top girls skated very well for themselves given this had been a tough year on everybody.
Sad for Gracie. I guess she was always a nervous competitor.
We’re lucky the current top three are all good competitors.
Alysa already started landing her 3a again last week. She'll be training her quads again after nationals.

Carolla5501

I didn't even recognize Alyssa. She looked amazing. If she can get a couple of "big" jumps I think she could be a contender (but then what do I know, I can't even skate backwards LOL)

Heartbroken for Starr. I have never been a huge fan, but that was devastating. I don't think I have ever seen a technical score that low for Sr Ladies at Nationals. :( And then they made her sit in Kiss N Cry alone. I wanted someone to hug her and tell her she would be OK. (And probably she doesn't have any family with her, isn't she over 18?) Poor kid!

sk9tingfan

I didn't even recognize Alyssa. She looked amazing. If she can get a couple of "big" jumps I think she could be a contender (but then what do I know, I can't even skate backwards LOL)

Heartbroken for Starr. I have never been a huge fan, but that was devastating. I don't think I have ever seen a technical score that low for Sr Ladies at Nationals. :( And then they made her sit in Kiss N Cry alone. I wanted someone to hug her and tell her she would be OK. (And probably she doesn't have any family with her, isn't she over 18?) Poor kid!
ITA. It was so painful to watch.😟

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
This has not been a kind year to anyone and simply having the opportunity to watch and enjoy figure skating is a privilege.

I loved seeing Alysa’s improvements and was wowed by Bradie’s attack and confidence. With one big competition (Skate America) and rinks going through a cycle of being locked and re-opened, our ladies did a fantastic job.

Highlights of the night:
  • Alysa seems to have adjusted to her growth spurt and is skating with much more speed and maturity despite a lackluster program. She really tried to sell it.
  • Bradie’s fierceness and attack on the ice has always been my favorite aspect of her skating and she delivered (and then some) tonight.
  • Amber going clean (let’s forget about the downgraded triple-Axel) and skating with passion and emotion.
  • Karen was beautiful and remains one of the great talents of the sport. In my opinion, no lady rivals her artistry right now.
  • Hanna, Emilia, and Pooja skated decently but more than the skating, their story of overcoming injuries was truly inspiring and made their skates much more emotional.
  • Honorable Mentions: Mariah, Lindsay, and Rena.

Oh my gosh I agree with every detail you said. Although I don’t think Alysa’s program is lackluster, it’s a typical European or Russian program but I don’t mind it. I also like the attention to detail with make up.

I might take a different opinion with you regarding Karen. Because she does not emote genuinely enough for me I can’t put her artistry at top-tier. She is another one that looks like she sometimes would rather be at home. So it’s just difficult for me to get into her skating because not much has changed in that department in my opinion

But what a great night for ladies skating. I did enjoy that!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Regarding what everyone has been saying the past couple of months whenever I checked in here I was hesitant for Alysa but she was a megastar out there. Even right when she got off the ice and she was kind of interacting with her friends and family on the screen. That’s what really makes me get into it. I think other people need to look up to her PCS.

another skater that I really love is Audrey Lu but as the commentators always say I feel like she does not express a single emotion. They are so great in Pairs and I can’t wait to watch them I just wish she could learn to get into a character

radcliffe96

@Vagabond this is amazing

I was rather dismayed how few ladies were able to land a clean 3-3. Like, Japanese and Russian ladies are doing 3As and quads and yet our ladies are stuck in the past where 3-3s don't matter. I could give a pass for lack of training time - it I didn't know that this was an ongoing problem during normal seasons as well.
Agree. From what I understand, the Russian testing system is a lot different from the US. I don't think Russian skaters can compete beyond a certain level without jumping 3-3s, so 3-3s become just a fact of life, and with everyone doing them, it's just a question of who's doing them best and most consistently. I don't agree with everything I hear/see about the Russian approach, but that seems like basic common sense to me. I think USFS is afraid to set the bar higher because it would put the squeeze on some of its long-favored skaters and coaches, but if USFS would bite the bullet I bet more US coaches would figure out how to deliver.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Bradie and Alysa were sublime. Is Karen Chen's music popular with the millennials? Undoubtedly she deserves better.

Miss Bell was very lucky. Less glitter and showgirl costume...more rotated triples,please.

One thing we can all agree on: it is safe to say the American ladies are far better skaters and performers than the Russians,code of points be damned.

-BB

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Bradie and Alysa were sublime. Is Karen Chen's music popular with the millennials? Undoubtedly she deserves better.

Miss Bell was very lucky. Less glitter and showgirl costume...more rotated triples,please.

One thing we can all agree on: it is safe to say the American ladies are far better skaters and performers than the Russians,code of points be damned.

-BB

Yes Bradie and Alysa were my standouts and also a shout out to Amber!

I love when Karen skated to slow dancing in the big city. That was my favorite program of hers.

Natanielle825

It's kind of amazing, last year everyone was rooting so hard for Mariah to win, this year she picked the wrong music and now no one wants her on the podium. She's still a lovely skater, but even this short program music is lame, and she seems pretty maxed out on jump potential. (When Jackie Wong was tweeting scores, it seemed they didn't call her combo? Am I wrong?)
I'm trying to get on board with Bradie, she seems committed to this flirty/sassy thing and is giving it her best, though it's not personally what I want to see her do. Her jumps looked ok, which is more important. The costume is another miss for me, looks like a cool practice outfit w/o any sparkles.
Congrats to Amber for having the only squeaky clean 3-3 in the event. I definitely question the decision to try the 3A, especially in the short. I seem to remember some coach saying a jump shouldn't go into a program until it's landed at least 70% of the time in practice and I don't think she's there yet.
Karen has a beautiful spiral and layback and skating but I just didn't feel much watching her, I think the choreography/music let her down. Like Mariah she can do better, either of them could have been skating to anything or nothing at all.
I know by Skate America everyone was really excited about Audrey but I just didn't see it here. The fall aside, something seemed pretty off about her skating skills, not sure exactly what though. Didn't help that the music was making me compare her to Marin, and there was no comparison. Great taste in music though, The Giving and Modigliani Suite are both stunning.
Lindsay is an interesting girl, not much for expression but definitely has some kind of x-factor to her skating I think. Idk who her coach is but I'd send her to someone at the top because I think she has potential.

suki

Can anyone tell me what Johnny was saying about the "Russian" technique when placing the toe pick in the ice for a jump and how it is different from the way Americans/others are trained? I had to answer a phone call and heard only bits and pieces of what he said. Thanks!

aml78

It's kind of amazing, last year everyone was rooting so hard for Mariah to win, this year she picked the wrong music and now no one wants her on the podium. She's still a lovely skater, but even this short program music is lame, and she seems pretty maxed out on jump potential. (When Jackie Wong was tweeting scores, it seemed they didn't call her combo? Am I wrong?)
I'm trying to get on board with Bradie, she seems committed to this flirty/sassy thing and is giving it her best, though it's not personally what I want to see her do. Her jumps looked ok, which is more important. The costume is another miss for me, looks like a cool practice outfit w/o any sparkles.
Congrats to Amber for having the only squeaky clean 3-3 in the event. I definitely question the decision to try the 3A, especially in the short. I seem to remember some coach saying a jump shouldn't go into a program until it's landed at least 70% of the time in practice and I don't think she's there yet.
Karen has a beautiful spiral and layback and skating but I just didn't feel much watching her, I think the choreography/music let her down. Like Mariah she can do better, either of them could have been skating to anything or nothing at all.
I know by Skate America everyone was really excited about Audrey but I just didn't see it here. The fall aside, something seemed pretty off about her skating skills, not sure exactly what though. Didn't help that the music was making me compare her to Marin, and there was no comparison. Great taste in music though, The Giving and Modigliani Suite are both stunning.
Lindsay is an interesting girl, not much for expression but definitely has some kind of x-factor to her skating I think. Idk who her coach is but I'd send her to someone at the top because I think she has potential.
I think for Amber she wants to start competing the jump and given this year doesn’t mean much, she figured it’s good to just start to get it out there. Practice doing it with nerves. It’s a great year for skaters to try some new things since there’s very little on the line and next year is an Olympic year.

Skibean

If the US followed the Russian approach and didn’t allow skaters to advance without the 3/3, how many skaters do you think the US would realistically have competing? What is the incentive for young US girls to potentially damage their bodies for life to win a gold medal? Skating is insanely popular in Russian and their young girls want the money and fame. When is the last time a US skater became a huge rich star? Maybe Kwan. Maybe.

Regarding Bell, I don’t think her music choice is the reason people feel she was lucky to be in the top 3. I think it had more to do with the way she skated her short program.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I think for Amber she wants to start competing the jump and given this year doesn’t mean much, she figured it’s good to just start to get it out there. Practice doing it with nerves. It’s a great year for skaters to try some new things since there’s very little on the line and next year is an Olympic year.

I agree, this could be the last time we see Amber compete and most of the girls compete until next summer or fall. So I’m like go for the triple axel even in your practices honey. LOL

Natanielle825

I hear you, but it's also her first shot to medal at Nationals, which is still important going into an Olympic year, so I just hope it doesn't cost her that. If everything else is clean today she'll have a shot.

Natanielle825

If the US followed the Russian approach and didn’t allow skaters to advance without the 3/3, how many skaters do you think the US would realistically have competing? What is the incentive for young US girls to potentially damage their bodies for life to win a gold medal? Skating is insanely popular in Russian and their young girls want the money and fame. When is the last time a US skater became a huge rich star? Maybe Kwan. Maybe.
Chicken and egg scenario. Don't sacrifice too much to win because there's no fame and money, or maybe if the skaters won more there would be more fame and money? Probably the first, but I just hate thinking that the USFS will never put in the work to promote the sport and figure skating is irreparably dead in America. I hate thinking that professional skating is an extinct career. I also hate thinking that our girls will never be as successful as the Russians if they aren't trained in the same way - government funded, in large groups, away from their parents, factory-production style, etc. It's all just so depressing.

Last edited:

VGThuy

It’s funny how we think figure skating is dead due to ladies despite the fact that we’re highly competitive in ice dance and two men medaled (and one won) at the last world championships. It also got tons of attention at the Olympics and every so often an American skating performance will go viral. Last I checked, participation is still high considering how inaccessible this sport already is due to costs and time commitments.

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Maybe a cap on PCS or a bonus / deduction applied to skaters who don't show a 3-3?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Maybe a cap on PCS or a bonus / deduction applied to skaters who don't show a 3-3?
A cap on PCS because a skater doesn't do something extra TES-wise but still has no flaws in the performance? Yeah.. no.

Deduction for skaters that don't show a 3/3? Last time I checked, ISU rules were 3+2, 3+3, or 2+3. Pointless to punish your own athletes who are still within the rules.

Bonus? I mean, I guess this is the only realistic one. But the 3+3 is already giving them extra points, so for what?

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Why not a cap, though? There's an unwritten cap internationally if you aren't doing a 3-3.

VGThuy

Maybe give $1,000.00 for every 3/3 landed at Nationals, $3,000.00 for every 3A landed, and $5,000.00 for every quad landed with $7,000.00 for every Quad/3A in combo landed and make it $10,000.00 for quad/triple or more. I hope they take IOUs.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
So, you want to hold Jason Brown's PCS down because he's not doing a (clean) 4T like most of the other men?

Makes no sense to tie one to the other if the performance is still of excellent quality.

I'm specifically referring to US ladies and 3-3s.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I'm specifically referring to US ladies and 3-3s.
And why would the ladies be the center of attention when you have a man that has yet to really show standard on a quad, when the rest of the field at Worlds take maybe 1 or 2 is attempting one?

I know what you were referring to. Why would you not apply your logic equally?

They already get a maximum PCS for mistake(s). Why hit them with another maximum solely based on elements they do complete? Talk about making an 'unwritten rule' suddenly written and distancing the field even more..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information