Status
Not open for further replies.

concorde

Alyssa has always relied on the big jumps to get the wins. Her skating skills needed improvement (her lack of speed going into jumps!) which was reflected in her low PCS score.

I think her team is now focusing on the PC portion and hoping her jumps will come back which I think is a good strategy. Even with all that extra work, I think her PCS will fall below those of Harrah and Bradie. Without those big jumps, at best she is looking at 3rd.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Hopefully they will give her a jump list and spins that she is confidant with by January, because she has always been a good competitor, too.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

natsulian

I love Alysa's perspective and outlook. She's learning, growing, and adapting. Despite what this young lady has gone through from the highs of two consecutive titles to the pains of growing and incurring injuries, she kept a positive attitude and moved on. That is a rare quality I find to be commendable beyond measure. Kudos to her.

Sylvia

TBD
Courtney Hicks didn't submit a FS video for the Nationals qualifying competition (eta that @meggonzo asked about her in the Kiss & Cry thread) and revealed the reason why today: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJzXem5JcQh/
Hey, just wanted to pop on here and let everyone know that I'm going to be off the ice for a little while! I've been struggling this past season with a hip issue, and I finally decided to get the surgery to fix it. The surgery went really well and I'm staying as active as I can, see you on the ice in a couple of months!
She replied to someone in the comments that her surgery was to fix a torn labrum.

Willin

Alysa is really smart and realistic. She's not quite a Hanyu level student of the sport, but she certainly knows a lot about it. She knew this would happen eventually and seems to have a realistic outlook on how things will look. I just hope she takes care of herself and is happy with how she does.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Alysa Liu seems much more mature and realistic than Massimo Scali. :shuffle:
I completely agree. I was impressed by her quotes and a little surprised by his.

Her attitude seems really good and at least she can’t fail to make an assignment here as there is no Junior Worlds... if this had to happen to her it’s a good year for it! I’m not a big fan of her skating so far (I admired her achievements but was underwhelmed by her actual skating) but I look forward to seeing these improvements. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised if there is any truth to what Scali says!

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I completely agree. I was impressed by her quotes and a little surprised by his.

Her attitude seems really good and at least she can’t fail to make an assignment here as there is no Junior Worlds... if this had to happen to her it’s a good year for it! I’m not a big fan of her skating so far (I admired her achievements but was underwhelmed by her actual skating) but I look forward to seeing these improvements. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised if there is any truth to what Scali says!
Alexandra Trusova’s basic skating skills have improved a lot in a short time, so why not Alysa Liu’s? Wishing her a wonderful US Nationals.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Am I missing something that makes you think that? I read the article and all I see is him saying he thinks she's a champion for pushing through this tough time and he's happy with the placement no matter what it is.
There was also another article where he said (something like) she doesn’t need the big jumps to win the title this year.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
There was also another article where he said (something like) she doesn’t need the big jumps to win the title this year.
Thanks, I see the comments on the previous page now. I was just confused as the comments about Scali came shortly after the newer Hersh article, and I thought he sounded encouraging.

emilieh

Has anyone asked Alysa about how much she's even been able to be on the ice? I heard that Bay Area skaters were having trouble getting ice time. Only one rink was open and it was extremely chaotic to try to book a session with everyone trying to get something at the same time. This was a few weeks ago. Or maybe she traveled elsewhere?

Tinami Amori

Natanielle825

It's so hard to know. Its possible she's been training like a beast this last month and has gotten consistent triples back. I hope thats the case. But I cant help but think back to Vegas and Tarah's commentary. "She's planning a triple axel right here..." Single. "She's planning a triple triple here..." Double double. I'm not railing on Alyssa but it seemed clear she was never really planning to do those jumps. No way she was doing them in practice. So I'm just wondering if on paper they put down the tough content to just keep her in the conversation, knowing she's not actually to jump it.

Sylvia

TBD
It's so hard to know. Its possible she's been training like a beast this last month and has gotten consistent triples back. ... I'm not railing on Alyssa but it seemed clear she was never really planning to do those jumps. No way she was doing them in practice.
Hersh's article included this part:
Liu was just beginning to adjust to her physical changes when she hurt her right hip on a wonky triple axel landing during practice at the free skate-only team event. She wisely watered down the program there, popping the solo triple axel and doing far more double jumps (seven) than triples (two).

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Has anyone asked Alysa about how much she's even been able to be on the ice? I heard that Bay Area skaters were having trouble getting ice time. Only one rink was open and it was extremely chaotic to try to book a session with everyone trying to get something at the same time. This was a few weeks ago. Or maybe she traveled elsewhere?
I am in northern California. Things are bretty shut down around here. You are. Ordered not to drive from one county to another.

The only skating rink I could find that was open is The Brentwood Rink.
739 2nd Street, Brentwood, California 94513, United States. Must be a nightmare in there.

radcliffe96

I am in northern California. Things are bretty shut down around here. You are. Ordered not to drive from one county to another.

The only skating rink I could find that was open is The Brentwood Rink.
739 2nd Street, Brentwood, California 94513, United States. Must be a nightmare in there.

Brentwood Ice is just a little outdoor pop-up rink (not suitable for training). :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information