U.S. Ladies [#26]: Bell, Boots, and Camel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tavi

I love how TSL talks shit about Vincent posting Gracie clips and then reposts them on their own Instagram.

It sounded to me that TSL didn’t like the tone of some of his posts. There was nothing too objectionable in these recent ones.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Cross-posting from U.S. Men's thread:

The ladies are the only ones who are truly on the struggle bus...

Sadly, I think this struggle is partly due to fs politics and the crazy deep fields in Russia and Japan. As well, there's uber fine talent in South Korea, with China on the lurk stealing whatever talent they can from U.S. lower levels to make a push for a team medal in Beijing.

Our U.S. ladies do not lack in talent -- they never have. It has been more trying to dig out of MK's hefty shadow coupled with political backlash for the dominant MK years, and the PCS politiking of Rus-fed to support technically talented off-the-assembly line Russian ladies. Add in the competitive nerves shortcomings of some talented U.S. ladies and the brief bright lights rise impact of Canadian ladies: Kaetlyn Osmond and Gabby Daleman, among some other factors, and you end up with the current scenario.

In a perfect world, Amber Glenn would be grabbing gold consistently and taking no prisoners, ably backed up by Tennell, Bell, et al. As a matter of fact, Gracie Gold and Mirai Nagasu should have been our 1-2 punch top-of-the-podium 'slay' sisters for quite awhile, with Ash Swag and Courtney Hicks (and even Angela Wang) sweeping up the leftovers. There's no absence of talent. It's just a whole bunch of pesky other factors. It's not that simple. But when we get right down to it, U.S. ladies have to deliver and simply forget about the ridiculous out-sized scrutiny and often unfair criticism.

ETA: And I even forgot to mention the very talented Polina Edmunds who ran into nagging injury timeouts and growth adjustment issues in her brief comeback.

Last edited:

melanieg

Thanks for the info. Very frustrating to see Mia not make Nationals last year after making one error in her jumping pass whilst girls who fell once or twice and without a 3-3 did. Mia needs to work on her spins and presentation alongside consistency. Mia is not very consistent, but that might be because she only started adding in the 3Lz-3T recently. Her technique is quite decent for her age, especially on that 2A. Mia is certainly a very talented jumper.
@feraina Another skater out of Oakland like Alysa Liu. I think they have the same coach? I'm not actually sure. I've seen her with Alysa's coach but I don't think she's Mia's head coach. She's just as tiny as Alysa, but a lot more intense about skating (not that Alysa isn't, just that Alysa smiles a lot more - Mia looks like she's going for the kill all the time). I think they'll have a healthy rivalry going forward.

Believe Mia has always been coached by Vadim Shebeco. Her YouTube says choreography for SP is by Evgenia Chernyshova.

natsulian

I really want to see Hanna Harrell do at least ONE Senior B or even Four Continents. Unless Hanna is going the route of Ting (last season) in which she competes on both the junior and senior circuits, I don’t see her getting too many assignments if she stays purely as a junior.
  • 2 JGP
  • Possible JGPF
  • Senior B
  • Nationals
  • 4CC
  • JW
As for Ting, I think she’ll do at least ONE Senior B prior to her first GP to test the waters with her programs and will fight Mariah for the Worlds spot. Plus, she’s the kind of skater who needs a trial run. Alysa will definitely be getting 2 JGP and Pooja might fight for the Skate America 3rd spot. Audrey Shin said she might not go Seniors because of her recent injury, so let’s all wish her a great recovery. As for the other seniors and juniors, 2018-2019 was the year of starting a new era and 2019-2020 will be the year of rebuilding and adding depth so let us all hope for the very best. I believe in our US girls. We haven’t had such hungry girls in such a long time and I think their hunger and tenacity will be repaid tenfold.

Dobre

I really want to see Hanna Harrell do at least ONE Senior B or even Four Continents. Unless Hanna is going the route of Ting (last season) in which she competes on both the junior and senior circuits, I don’t see her getting too many assignments if she stays purely as a junior.

USFS has been sending any JGP athletes that are senior age-eligible and seem capable of potentially medaling at Senior Nationals to at least one senior event every season since the senior minimum requirement came down demanding athletes earn their 4CC and World minimums in senior competition. Now that Hanna is old enough to compete internationally as a senior, I would assume she will have at least one. Her places at Nationals & Junior Worlds would put her among the same tier of athletes that have been receiving the opportunity to earn those minimum scores. (Of the top of my head, Tomoki, Vincent, Camden, Ting, Pooja, & Kraznozhon were all sent to senior events to try to obtain minimum scores while they were still competing on the JGP).

Sylvia

TBD
(Of the top of my head, Tomoki, Vincent, Camden, Ting, Pooja, & Kraznozhon were all sent to senior events to try to obtain minimum scores while they were still competing on the JGP).
And Andrew Torgashev in both 2016 and 2017. Vincent never did both in the fall (ETA: oops, he competed in Golden Spin SP but WD before the FS in Dec. 2016).

I'm glad to see the Youth Olympic Games listed on USFS' 2019-20 International Assignments page (GP assignments have been added here as of 6/23): https://www.usfsa.org/story?id=84032&menu=TeamUSA

ETA link to the GSD info thread for the 2020 YOG: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-january-9-22-in-lausanne-switzerland.105499/

Last edited:

natsulian

Mia Kalin’s Junior Free Skate —> https://youtu.be/_p97ws1jBTw

Great jumps, but needs to really work on those spins and fine tuning the program so that it flows better. Mia’s only 11, so she has time to really improve. Cannot wait to see her debut her 3A soon.

Layout: 3F, 3Lz-3T, 2A, 3Lo, 3Lz, 3F-Eu-3S, and 2A-2T

Some info:
  • Coach is Vadim Shebeco
  • Choreographer is Evgenia Chernyshova
  • Music is “The Crown”, Hans Zimmer and Palladio

Last edited:

layman

Mia Kalin’s Junior Free Skate —> https://youtu.be/_p97ws1jBTw

Great jumps, but needs to really work on those spins and fine tuning the program so that it flows better. Mia’s only 11, so she has time to really improve. Cannot wait to see her debut her 3A soon.

Layout: 3F, 3Lz-3T, 2A, 3Lo, 3Lz, 3F-Eu-3S, and 2A-2T (possible errors)

Some info:
  • Coach is Vadim Shebeco
  • Choreographer is Evgenia Chernyshova
  • Music is “The Crown”, Hans Zimmer and Palladio
I am concerned about the whippy, Russian-style technique and the lack of spring. I don't see this (technique) working past puberty. I don't think Mia will be age eligible for the next Olympics either.

Honestly, I don't understand the long-term strategy of teaching these kids precocious technique (getting all the triples at an early age but with questionable technique), which they can't even use in senior competition.

If I were on Mia's team, I would put the emphasis on improving basics...speed, edge control, ice coverage and flow, knee-bend and spring, so that she can be ready (down the road) for senior competition.

natsulian

I am concerned about the whippy, Russian-style technique and the lack of spring. I don't see this (technique) working past puberty. I don't think Mia will be age eligible for the next Olympics either.

Honestly, I don't understand the long-term strategy of teaching these kids precocious technique (getting all the triples at an early age but with questionable technique), which they can't even use in senior competition.

If I were on Mia's team, I would put the emphasis on improving basics...speed, edge control, ice coverage and flow, knee-bend and spring, so that she can be ready (down the road) for senior competition.
Mia seems to have early Alysa technique which I hope will be fixed soon. However, her 2A technique is actually pretty decent and she has more height and distance than many of her peers. The whippy, Russian-technique seems to be most at play when Mia goes for the 3-3 combos and are very Alina-like. I agree that her team should really focus on skating skills because she really lacks in that department. Let’s hope for the best since the Mia and Alysa’s club is probably going to start churning out kids with all their triples by 11 regardless of technique and maybe the 3A.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

natsulian

Does anyone know what her goal is?
She’s gearing up for a comeback because she wants to do more internationally. Some people are saying it’s a 3F-3T, but slightly under so maybe she is going to attempt 3-3’s. Based on her Instagram, she seems to be in very good shape, so I’m hoping she decides to comeback this ‘19-‘20 season.

Her Instagram —> https://instagram.com/polinaedmunds?igshid=3qe4ulft4xyd

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
She’s gearing up for a comeback because she wants to do more internationally. Some people are saying it’s a 3F-3T, but slightly under so maybe she is going to attempt 3-3’s. Based on her Instagram, she seems to be in very good shape, so I’m hoping she decides to comeback this ‘19-‘20 season.

Her Instagram —> https://instagram.com/polinaedmunds?igshid=3qe4ulft4xyd
Isn't it late for next season? and the run up to the Olys will be brutal.

Willin

@AxelAnnie Not necessarily. She won't need to compete until October (Regionals), and most of the major pre-regional Bay Area don't happen until late summer or fall (Silicon Valley Open is early August, Skate SF late August, St Moritz in September) so she has plenty of time to choreograph and train even just up to those three.

natsulian

Broadmoor Open will officially begin very soon, so here's a list of things to look forward to:
  • Alysa Liu's Short and Long, her improvements, and the 3A and 4Lz
  • How Karen Chen is looking and if her 3Lz-3T is still under-rotated
  • Isabeau Levito and if whether or not she has her 3Lz, the last triple she needs to learn apart from the 3A
  • Hanna Harrell and if she has a 3A or 4T
  • Juniors that may be wanting to get the attention of the federation for possible Junior Grand Prix selections
  • New promising talents and Seniors who might be vying for the TBD spot at Skate America
P.S. - I was looking through Alysa's old videos and... the improvements she has made technically and performance wise are insane. Also, did anyone realize that she started practicing the 3A on a harness then ONE month later started landing it off-harness at clubs events?

Sylvia

TBD
As someone who has followed club competitions for a loooong time, I think it's best not to have too many expectations re. jumps, especially this early in the season. :) Most of the skaters are debuting programs and incorporating (new) jumps successfully is a process that often takes a while.

I'm planning to start a competition thread in the Kiss & Cry section for Broadmoor Open... hoping to have more information by later today re. entries.

Edited above because "debuting new" is redundant. ;)

Last edited:

natsulian

As someone who has followed club competitions for a loooong time, I think it's best not to have too many expectations re. jumps, especially this early in the season. :) Most of the skaters are debuting new programs and incorporating jumps successfully is a process that takes a while.

I'm planning to start a competition thread in the Kiss & Cry section for Broadmoor Open... hoping to have more information by later today re. entries.
Silly me, I forgot this is an early summer competition. Can’t wait to discuss the skaters and what they bring to the table.

Last edited:

Debbie S

I am just sad that people keep listening and following the trash talk.
And then using that to create their own narrative full of baseless speculation and incorrect info. I guess since it's the off-season, one shouldn't be surprised. :rolleyes:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Is there any chance Polina would get the TBA assignment at Skate America?

Please, no.

I hope she and Gold and Hicks go through the sectionals, regionals route. I hope they get a B though if they are indeed ready for those.

Wayy too much risk for GP circuit..

Also a 3/2 wont cut the mustard at this current field at SkAm. Send in Starr, Megan or Amber I would say.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information