U.S. Ladies [#23]: Triple Axels? What a Novice Idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frida80

Hmmmmm 105 versus Amber's 130 +?

I don't mean to be Debbie downer especially when my vacation is almost over but even though Amber tanked once this summer I still would've went with her.

Do you guys think has not done last summer competition Then State America would be hers?

I wonder if Courtney thought it was hers

I’m sure Amber was told that she needed to score well at a monitored competition, Broadmoor, Skate Detroit, Glacier Falls, and if not then at Philly International. These were when USFS officials would be present and she would have some competition, as opposed to comps where she was virtually unopposed. She failed to do that. I doubt they would’ve given her the spot unless she competed in those competitions and did well.

Amber is still growing as a competitor. She has to learn how to deliver when it counts. She still can use the challenger series to prepare herself for nationals and get a high score for next season.

Sylvia

TBD
Amber Glenn scored 171.29 to win qualifying group B at Skate Detroit in July (59.07 in SP, 112.22 in FS) and placed 3rd in the Final round FS - top 3 were:
Katie McBeath 106.01
Hanna Harrell 105.87
Amber Glenn 98.57

ETA: Glenn's FS at the Philadelphia Summer International in early August was so below par for her that I assume USFS decided to send her to a ISU Challenger to build her confidence, as Frida80 posted above. I really hope she has a good competition overall at Lombardia Trophy this week. :)

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Amber Glenn scored 171.29 to win qualifying group B at Skate Detroit in July (59.07 in SP, 112.22 in FS) and placed 3rd in the Final round FS - top 3 were:
Katie McBeath 106.01
Hanna Harrell 105.87
Amber Glenn 98.57

Oh yeah what happened to Katie? I thought I remember some people here thought Katie would get the skate America spot.

It's weird for me, I've been watching figure skating since 78 yet all of the TBDs for skate America I'm scratching my head over just because I'm not familiar with them

concorde

Oh yeah what happened to Katie? I thought I remember some people here thought Katie would get the skate America spot.

It's weird for me, I've been watching figure skating since 78 yet all of the TBDs for skate America I'm scratching my head over just because I'm not familiar with them

I commented earlier that USFS was making some "out of the box" selections this season. Glad others are now noticing.

I really thought Katie over Megan.

synchrogirl17

I commented earlier that USFS was making some "out of the box" selections this season. Glad others are now noticing.

I really thought Katie over Megan.

Maybe they are "investing" in Megan because she is younger and could have more time..?

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I wonder if Courtney thought it was hers

There was an argument for picking Hicks. She's finished in the top 4 at a GP event in the last three seasons, and she's won more GP medals than every American lady skating on the GP this season, except for Gold. Her best summer score is third on the list (not counting skaters on the JGP/too young skaters) behind only Tennell and Glenn and ahead of Andrews, Wessenberg, and McBeath. Her mental block at nationals isn't helping her case, though.

I want to see Hicks' Nutcracker program before judging it. She did okay with Lady Caliph, but I'd rather see her do more programs like Maleficent, which more seems more natural for her.

Wessenberg is an okay choice, too. She's got a fairly reliable 3t-3t and has been mostly consistent. Last season was rough, but she was likely injured; she withdrew from the 2017 Autumn Classic, which would have been her Challenger debut. I look forward to seeing her at Skate America.

concorde

Maybe they are "investing" in Megan because she is younger and could have more time..?

I think age may be a factor and that overall Megan has the higher profile of the two. IMO, Amber has the highest profile of the three so who knows.

I really do not understand some of USFS's selections.

I am curious if Ting will keep her 2nd JGP assignment. USFS has taken back Pooja's 2nd. I really expect the same for Audrey. But to me Ting is a big ??? And who will get those reassigned slots?

Frida80

I think age may be a factor and that overall Megan has the higher profile of the two. IMO, Amber has the highest profile of the three so who knows.

I really do not understand some of USFS's selections.

I am curious if Ting will keep her 2nd JGP assignment. USFS has taken back Pooja's 2nd. I really expect the same for Audrey. But to me Ting is a big ??? And who will get those reassigned slots?

Ting probably earned two spots by getting such a high score at JWs. She also got a similar high score during the summer competitions, 186. I assume she'll be getting a second JGP and one CS for more experience.

Pooja did a decent job, but her scores were really low for someone that skated so cleanly. Think about it. Ting scored 156 with no combo in the SP, two falls and a pop in the FS, and a time violation. Pooja had just one fall in her competition and scored a 160. The problem is her components. I feel it's her choreography. Maybe it will improve as the season moves on.

As for Audrey, I don't think she'll get a second spot. They'll probably wait and see what Gabriella does for the final spot. But if I had to guess, i think Pooj and Gabriella will have the final spots.

concorde

I agree with you comments on Pooja. I think her lack of speed is a huge hurdle.

If I remember correctly, Pooja had been assigned the 4th JGP and then she was just replaced with Gabriella.

Ting is currently listed as "in" for the 5th JGP and Audrey for the 6th. I expect a substitution for Audrey but with ??. My guess is Ting keeps her 2nd assignment but it would not surprise me if she is substituted.

The US does not have a slot in the 7th, right?

Sylvia

TBD
They do. Gabriella Izzo (competing this week in Vancouver) is listed as the placeholder for Yerevan, Armenia as of today.

Pooja has been entered as one of 5 subs for Finlandia Trophy (ISU Challenger #7 of 10) on the ISU list:
Karen CHEN
Amber GLENN
Courtney HICKS
Pooja KALYAN
Katie MCBEATH

Emmy MA and Angela WANG are the 2 USA entries (still to be confirmed by USFS).

concorde

I thought that due to JW placements, the US only got a single slot in 6 of the 7 JGP. Was that incorrect do did they somehow snag on in the 7th?

Frida80

I agree with you comments on Pooja. I think her lack of speed is a huge hurdle.

If I remember correctly, Pooja had been assigned the 4th JGP and then she was just replaced with Gabriella.

Ting is currently listed as "in" for the 5th JGP and Audrey for the 6th. I expect a substitution for Audrey but with ??. My guess is Ting keeps her 2nd assignment but it would not surprise me if she is substituted.

No, Hanna was assigned to JGP Canada. Pooja hasn't been listened foe any competitions but the first.

concorde

I would love Hanna to get the 7th JGP slot but not sure if she will be competition ready by then. Which bring up an interesting point. If she is not ready by the 7th event, I don't think she gets a bye. I believe Regionals are even earlier than the JGP event. Is she then Out for the rest of this season? I really hope not. I hope I am missing something.

wickedwitch

I would love Hanna to get the 7th JGP slot but not sure if she will be competition ready by then. Which bring up an interesting point. If she is not ready by the 7th event, I don't think she gets a bye. I believe Regionals are even earlier than the JGP event. Is she then Out for the rest of this season? I really hope not. I hope I am missing something.
She gets a bye through regionals to sectionals by getting any international assignment or possibly just by being on ISP.

Frida80

What I hope they do is what the did with Ashley Kim when she got injured and missed her JGP. They arranged for her Starr and three other novices to go to Golden Bear to compete. We have some excellent novices this year and Alysa still needs some experience. So sending them all to Golden Bear would be an awesome solution.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Is there anywhere an internet fan can see who has registered for Nationals qualification process?

Sylvia

TBD

Willin

@Marco Yes! In fact, it's very common in synchronized skating. Some adult skaters even coach the teams they compete on. In some larger organizations they'll have skaters on a Novice/Junior/Senior team be an assistant coach for a kids team so they can learn the trade. Some pairs skaters like Meagan Duhamel and Aljona Savcenko act as both a skater and a part of their coaching team. A lot of Senior skaters do choreography for each other.

That being said, I would imagine it's highly impracticable for a singles skater like Ashley to coach someone in the same division due to scheduling of warm up groups and practice ice.
Starting out as a coach, no matter what level of a skater she is, she'll probably start out with younger skaters (maybe not the tiny ones since she's a world medalist and has had coaching training from Rafael, but probably Juv/Int/Nov skaters). For any Junior/Senior skaters she'll probably start as an assistant coach of sorts. I'd be shocked if she'd be the head coach of a Senior skater right off the bat given club/coaching politics.

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
Can someone coach and compete at the same time?

Why couldn't they? This is going way back but Tonia Kwiatkowski was happy to say how she was doing some coaching on the side towards the end of her amateur career. I'm sure it's allowed to coach and compete.

Marco

Thanks @Willin !

I am just wondering if registering as a coach means Ashley is definitely retiring / not competing. So I suppose the anaswer is still no.

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
IMHO if Ashley couldn't psyche herself up to compete in an Olympic year, she's already been checked out, retired, and moving into a condo down in Miami.

I do think that Ashley would make a great coach, because she wasn't blessed with oodles of natural talent, she struggled to work on her deficiencies, and she says it like she sees it. I'm sure any of her students will not have a flutz that she learned at a young age and never could get rid of for example. She has had some of the best coaching which has to have rubbed off too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information