U.S. Ladies [#23]: Triple Axels? What a Novice Idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

concorde

Hey. I was commenting where the previous poster said that if you do a Yahoo search, it lists her nationality as German.

I grew up in a military town and a bunch of my friends growing up were born in Germany but since their parents were US citizens and they were born on a military base, they were US citizens only not dual citizens. I assume Ashley fits that scenario so I find those Yahoo results to be strange.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
^^^ The "can Ashley skate for Germany because she was born on a military base there?" scenario has been brought up and discussed here before. I doubt she plans to do so at this point and my reply was about that.

Re-posting these 2 links from the Champs Camp thread - 2 articles by Lynn Rutherford:

Karen Chen: http://www.usfigureskatingfanzone.c...n-chen-seeks-fresh-start-in-colorado-springs/

Mariah Bell and Courtney Hicks: http://www.usfigureskatingfanzone.c...or-new-quad-courtney-hicks-leaps-to-altitude/

Assignments update:

Katie McBeath and Megan Wessenberg will make their respective ISU Challenger debuts at Ondrej Nepela Trophy (Bratislava SVK, Sept. 19-22).

Bradie Tennell, Starr Andrews and Emmy Ma are listed for Autumn Classic International (Oakville, Ontario CAN, Sept 20-22) on USFS' International Assignments page.

Mariah Bell and Ashley Lin (her ISU Challenger and senior international debut) are listed as of today on the ISU website for Nebelhorn Trophy (Oberstdorf GER, Sept. 26-29).

Dobre

Last year Bradie was the obvious choice since she had clearly won everything she entered over the summer.

I believe Caroline Zhang had the highest score at Glacier Falls after Karen, had a higher finish than Bradie from the previous Nationals, and did not go up against Bradie head-to-head. So Caroline could have had an argument last summer. Bradie had the clearest argument and won the spot. It was pretty clear that it was merited after Lombardia, but things are never quite as clear right in August.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Wessenberg is in the running for Skate America? I know it is the host pick but wow. She barely made it out of Sectionals and had a horrible Nationals. I hope she had a great summer...

skatingguy

decently
She last competed internationally for USA at 2017 Skate America. I don't think she can yet compete for another country this season.
She'd only have to sit out a year - so that would be the end of November this year - in order to switch countries - though again, I don' think anyone actually believes this is happening.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Wessenberg is in the running for Skate America? I know it is the host pick but wow. She barely made it out of Sectionals and had a horrible Nationals. I hope she had a great summer...

I would agree she was uninspiring last season. The comp that did it for Megan this summer was Glacier Falls, where she finished 3rd behind Liu and Cui, scoring 171. At this comp she scored a little higher than Ashley Lin, and much higher than Akari Nakahara, Angela Wang, and Emmy Ma. Her total score there was much higher than all the Philly medalists and lower than only Harrell's Skate Detroit score. Yes, Amber Glenn did outscore her at her Houston mall comp that one time...but that's about it. Sadly, no videos of Megan's Glacier Falls performance have surfaced.

Last edited:

concorde

I would agree she was uninspiring last season. The comp that did it for Megan this summer was Glacier Falls, where she finished 3rd behind Liu and Cui, scoring 171. At this comp she scored a little higher than Ashley Lin, and much higher than Akari Nakahara, Angela Wang, and Emmy Ma. Her total score there was much higher than all the Philly medalists and lower than only Harrell's Skate Detroit score. Yes, Amber Glenn did outscore her at her Houston mall comp that one time...but that's about it. Sadly, no videos of Megan's Glacier Falls performance have surfaed.

Uninspiring last season and 3rd at a summer comp gets you a SA slot. Wow ...
Last year it seemed the US had some of depth and proof, it seems to be gone.

I am hoping our hope for the current Novices.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
One could argue bradie was uninspiring the year before her skate america debut. mildly successful sure but not fun. People can change from season to season, and I have found megan impressive at times, so let's see her skate this season before we go on about her being a poor choice. just so happens that ting and hanna are juniors and Alysa is too young, but I love when new people get a shot

mag

Uninspiring last season and 3rd at a summer comp gets you a SA slot. Wow ...
Last year it seemed the US had some of depth and proof, it seems to be gone.

I am hoping our hope for the current Novices.

Third, but much higher than the Philly medalists. Caroline Zhang was given SA a number of times. The bar is not always that high. If Megan gets SA I hope she has a great couple of skates!

concorde

Third, but much higher than the Philly medalists.

I assume that was two different judging panels so it is not really an apples-to-apples comparison.

Alyssa is too young so moot point there. I heard (GS) that Hanna is now injured so if that is true, then another moot point.

Then you have Ting. I checked her ISU bio and she turned 16 in June. That means she could be a Senior internationally (she skates as a Senior domestically). If her domestic Senior scores are high enough then why not? I don't understand the "they are Juniors" argument when they are skating domestically as a Senior and they meet the age cut off. This argument is is not just limited to Ting.

StitchMonkey

One could argue bradie was uninspiring the year before her skate america debut. mildly successful sure but not fun. People can change from season to season, and I have found megan impressive at times, so let's see her skate this season before we go on about her being a poor choice. just so happens that ting and hanna are juniors and Alysa is too young, but I love when new people get a shot

Bradie won a bronze at a Challenger even at her senior debut the year before. She also was our highest placing lady at junior worlds. She may not be fun, but she had a better prior season than Megan. She was not as off the radar as people think... she just is not exciting.

I am fine with Megan as the choice at this point. I might have still gone with Amber, but with Amber there could be more going on we don't know about.

Dobre

Then you have Ting. I checked her ISU bio and she turned 16 in June. That means she could be a Senior internationally (she skates as a Senior domestically). If her domestic Senior scores are high enough then why not?

Because she may get more experience & world standing points against stiffer competition in juniors and have a shot at earning her own non-host GP spot for next season?

Last edited:

concorde

Ok. I read the birthday incorrectly.
She is still old enough to be a Senior internationally.

Sylvia

Gabriella Izzo (silver medalist at the Asian Open Trophy in Bangkok earlier this month) has replaced Hanna Harrell in the Vancouver JGP on the ISU website (USFS' Assignments page has yet to be updated). This will be Izzo's JGP debut.

Karen Chen's name has been moved to the U.S. Classic subs list and her WD is confirmed on USFS' website (no replacement named at this time).

concorde

You cannot skate in both JGP and GP in the same season.

Only Pooja has skated in a JGP this season. Ting is schedule to skater in one later this week. Either of those could have been bumped up to Senior before the season started.

Sylvia

All the ISU senior age-eligible skaters in the ISP are asked if they would like to compete senior or junior internationally before the season starts (usually around May, IIRC). It's still possible that Ting and/or others on the JGP who are age-eligible could get an ISU Challenger assignment later this fall.

ETA: For example, Emmy Ma did 2 JGPs (1 bronze) and then Golden Spin of Zagreb in December 2017. Speaking of Emmy, she is listed as a sub for Autumn Classic International as of today on the ISU website (Bradie Tennell and Starr Andrews are the 2 U.S. entries).
Bradie Tennell, Starr Andrews and Emmy Ma are listed for Autumn Classic International (Oakville, Ontario CAN, Sept 20-22) on USFS' International Assignments page.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information