Status
Not open for further replies.

vesperholly

Nikodinov's program was to the Prokofiev score, and, IMO, was one of the most underrated of US Ladies' programs. People remember Peter Oppegard's choreography to "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" for Stiegler/Zimmerman -- and rightly so -- but he also did that great program for Nikodinov the same year. (And I think she should have been third over Bobek and been sent to Worlds, but that was never going to happen.)
What I always found cool was that she did Cinderella for two years: before and after. Not sure if that was planned (music is the same), but it was neat.

1997: "poor" Cinderella: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7qKyUKtxoU
1998: "at the ball" Cinderella: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoBnqG7Mj9Q

Nikodinov was VERY wuzrobbed in 1997. Bobek did 4 triples - flutz, sal and two toes. Nikodinov did 6 triples including two lutzes. Her presentation was miles better of course, but I think USFS was just so relieved that their former World medalist FINALLY got it together. Blech.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I’d take 4 triple Bobek over 6 triple Nikodinov any day. Charisma is important, and Bobek is one of the all time greats in terms of performance.

Mayra

Because frankly some of it has fairly nasty undertones, along the lines of "if she changes everything about her skating, she might be tolerable." It's possible to hope Bradie makes changes in the offseason without being completely dismissive of what she's accomplished.

It reminds me of the Gracie Gold comments pre-Frank Carroll. Her arms, her posture, choreography etc etc...nothing was good enough. So she goes off and makes all these changes to fit into whatever American skating princess mold people have ingrained and it still wasn't good enough. :wall:

I hope Bradie's accomplishments this season have given her the confidence to continue to grow her skating to compete with the top skaters in world, something she proved she can do.

Certainly image matters in this sport, and fans and judges like nothing more than to see skaters looking like toddlers in tiaras. :glamor: :p I will not be surprised to see Bradie show up trussed into whatever mold the powers that be have suggested, but here's hoping her sense of self preservation is stronger and she shows up as Bradie in whatever form makes her feel comfortable.

Tinami Amori

So she goes off and makes all these changes to fit into whatever American skating princess mold people have ingrained and it still wasn't good enough. :wall:
They can be Princesses…. Just not the boring Disney kind…..:EVILLE:
Mirai
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/23/aa/51/...-disney-princesses-goth-disney-princesses.jpg

Karen (new version)
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/03/2c/d4/032cd400290870bc808dee4af8b5ee4f.png

Bradie
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/83/e0/df/83e0df7bfc878d2b6536a9f637d5ee39.jpg

Last edited:

berthesghost

:lol: someone thinks popular skating stars like Kat Witt, Kristi Yamaguchi, Michelle Kwan and Yuna Kim look like “toddlers in tiaras” but Bradie should continue to skate Disney princess programs to escape that mold?

VGThuy

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I’d take 4 triple Bobek over 6 triple Nikodinov any day. Charisma is important, and Bobek is one of the all time greats in terms of performance.

Exactly. Remember, Nikodinov was Dick Button’s “refrigerator break”!

Last edited:

skatepixie

I think Bradie needs a makeover like Angela got -- involving a lot of ballet work. I don't have a problem with feminine, pretty princess packaging. But the problem is, you need to move with elegance and grace to really pull that look off. She doesn't move like a princess or a ballerina, especially in the upper body.

BUT, she's a hard worker, big time, and if she puts in the work, I'm sure she will grow tremendously.

berthesghost

Maybe Bradie can skate to a medley of Carmen, POTO, MR, Aranjuez, Nessun Dorma, Papa Can you Hear Me, Feeling Good, and I put a Spell on You.
You joke, but she’s skated to the Cindy soundtrack, the mission soundtrack, and a tango as “interpreted” by plushy’s favorite electronic violinist :p so this actually sounds plausible. Not sure what was going on in 14-15: did she have 4 different lps or was she channeling the 80s with 4 different musics in one lp?

Spiralgraph

Exactly. Remember, Nikodinov was Dick Button’s “refrigerator break”!

True, I remember Dick saying that, however I think that was said during Angela's forgettable mummy program. Once Angela had her transformation and her programs had more elegance and style, Dick's comments were more complimentary. And Angela's classic layback was always a marvel to behold.

vesperholly

I think Bradie needs a makeover like Angela got -- involving a lot of ballet work. I don't have a problem with feminine, pretty princess packaging. But the problem is, you need to move with elegance and grace to really pull that look off. She doesn't move like a princess or a ballerina, especially in the upper body.

BUT, she's a hard worker, big time, and if she puts in the work, I'm sure she will grow tremendously.
I agree. She needs an Elena Tcherkasskaia to help her with upper body movement and fluidity.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Bobek is indeed one of the all time greats when it comes to performance (she's me second favorite skater ever, behind Nikodinov and ahead of Yamaguchi.) Nikodinov has the best transformation ever (to me) in the history of skating. When she came back under Elena she was unrecognizable to me in every aspect! :) movement, artistry, physique, hair, makeup, costuming, facial expressions.... everything!

Last edited:

RockTheTassel

It must be reassuring to Bradie and her team, to know that she has 200 FSU consultants on stand-by.

We're not acting as consultants or expecting Bradie or her team to read this. We're talking about skating on a forum with fellow fans. Would you prefer that we never say anything constructive or critical about elite skaters and instead praise all they do and hope they just go out, skate their best, and have fun?

Willin

This could several places but this thread showed up first. I'm guessing that this was filmed at Champs Camp back in the summer.

Celebrate the end of the 2017-18 season with a special treat from Team USA! Song: "Feel It Still" by Portugal. The Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6U4ipi3WNM
Kinda surprised USFSA let this cut of it out with Adam doing some suggestive moves and someone else (I couldn't tell who) wall!twerking.

Either way, it's great to see them having fun. Also Gracie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information