U.S. Ladies [#20]: In a Week, Maybe Two, They'll Make You a Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

vesperholly

If Shizuka Arakawa can fail to make the GPF and then switch both of her programs right before the Olympics, then anyone can. At least Ashley has a head start with doing that before Nationals instead of the Olympics.
Arakawa went back to her 2004 Worlds-winning FS, though, she did not debut a brand-new program.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Thanks for the link Spun Silver. I watched both programs. Obviously the dress has magical powers. But the LP was unbelievable! She was on FIRE. Undoubtedly her finest moment.

NAOTMAA

I wonder if there was some behind the scenes nudging from some USFSA officials or international judges to dump MR. Perhaps they were told that lighting ain't striking twice and it would be wise to go in another direction. Her MR performances this season haven't exactly been inspiring even if she didn't have much opportunity to showcase it. And since La La Land had already been choreographed it was easy to resurrect that rather then quickly put together another LP

Loves_Shizuka

Arakawa went back to her 2004 Worlds-winning FS, though, she did not debut a brand-new program.

Yes she went back to Turandot, but it was a reworked version. Strictly speaking, it wasn't the same programme she won Worlds with.

And the SP was a reworked version of her Chopin LP.

So she sort of had new programmes for the Olympics. With a new coach.

But I do get your point.

Sylvia

TBD
40-second clip from Ashley's La La Land (filmed in the summer in a Toronto area rink): https://www.instagram.com/p/BcU8hqmA12Y/?taken-by=ashwagner2010

"The Audition" lyrics (eta: performed by Emma Stone) are:
And tumbled into the Seine
Here's to the ones who dream
Foolish as they may seem
Here's to the hearts that ache
Here's to the mess we make

The only other clip I know of is this 30 seconds of footwork to "The Audition" from the "Making of" video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=11m50s&v=9u5Q1Xok1y4

She told me
"A bit of madness is key
To give us new colors to see
Who knows where it will lead us?
And that's why they need us"
So bring on the rebels
The ripples from pebbles ...

ETA:
Was Ashley's ankle injured at SA because she was training two long programs?
I doubt it.

Last edited:

RD

There's no great reason to think any of the other U.S. ladies are more likely to stand on that U.S. Nationals podium than Ashley. But if it's Karen or Bradie or Mirai sitting in third with Ashley in fourth, boy, that's a hard argument to make politically, IMO. Better she do her job in the competition.

Exactly. Wagner controls her own destiny - she is PERFECTLY capable of a top 3 finish at Nationals on her own merit, without “help”. If she is unable to compete well enough to make the top 3...well, if she has no outstanding achievements in the past year to set her apart from her top competitors - that’s on her, and thus she should stay home.

Anyhow, she sure knows how to get people talking ;) the LLL move just conjures up an image in my head of chaos on Team Wagner, and given the proximity to Nationals I got a kick out of the Karen Chen Desperate Moves academy comment :lol:

Spareoom

Well, at this point, it's probably like, what has she got to lose. It's too late to make some miracle happen with her jumps/technique, so might as well take a risk and hope that a new program will elevate her skating and help get her in the zone better.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Seriously, if they’re not going to prop up THE only lady to medal at worlds and GPF in the past 4 years in order to send some green kid to the Olys with nothing more than a hope and prayer, then what the ef are the current team selection rules for?
If the green kid has a chance to become top skater in the World for the next quad and Ashley sucks again at an Olympic Nationals the choice should be clear. Ashley's season this year has been a dog and if she continues it into Nationals... she places below others, she shouldn't go. I just don't see the Olympics as a lifetime achievement award.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Seriously, if they’re not going to prop up THE only lady to medal at worlds and GPF in the past 4 years in order to send some green kid to the Olys with nothing more than a hope and prayer, then what the ef are the current team selection rules for?

As a reminder here is team selection criteria that will be considered:

Tier 1
- 2018 U.S. Figure Skating Championships:
- 2017 ISU Grand Prix Final:
- 2017 ISU World Figure Skating Championships:

Tier 2
- 2017 Grand Prix Series Competitions:
- 2017 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships:

Tier 3
- 2017 Challenger Series Events and other senior international competitions:
- 2017 U.S. Figure Skating Championships:
- 2017 World Junior Figure Skating Championships:
- 2017 ISU Junior Grand Prix Final:

berthesghost

If the green kid has a chance to become top skater in the World for the next quad and Ashley sucks again at an Olympic Nationals the choice should be clear. Ashley's season this year has been a dog and if she continues it into Nationals... she places below others, she shouldn't go. I just don't see the Olympics as a lifetime achievement award.
??
Both Ashley and Mirai have been to the olys already and who else has world and 4cc medals? The federation sends who they think will mostly likely medal. Talk of “lifetime achievement awards” is just sour grapes by arm chair fans. It doesn’t actually exist in real life.
Yes, Ashley had a bad year. And who on team USA didn’t? Who are all these other ladies with better results heading to the gpf this weekend? Someone at this years nats who would be top of the world next quad? Who prey tell is that?

Marco

If someone like Mariah Bell or Courtney Hicks hit at Nationals, do you have faith she can repeat it at the Olympics?

Dobre

Oh, they won't send "some green kid."

But they might send a young lady who has outscored Ashley twice this season.

I would wager they will also be sending Nathan, with his 4CC title and 2 GP wins; the Shibs, with their 2 GP wins & current world medal; and both the other U.S. dance teams that have qualified for the GPF multiple seasons in a row, including this season.

But seeing as a selection committee went and sent Cain & Le Duc to 4CCs last season over Castelli & Tran, based on nothing but a higher score at a senior B, who the heck knows who could be propped up? When decisions are made politically, rather than in competition, a LOT depends on who is ahead of you.

MRani

Honestly, this commentary on Nationals and who will or won’t get held up or chosen without placing top 3 is getting tired. I’m sure all the skaters, especially ladies, are taking the attitude that they need to be top 3 to go to the Olympics no matter what. There’s no point in crying about the possibility of someone being held up or wrongfully chosen when Nationals and the committee selection hasn’t actually happened yet. Let’s see what the ladies bring to Nationals (and then we can argue whole-heartedly about the judging and if someone got held up :p)

I know a big part of this board is speculation and debate about what can happen in figure skating before the competitions actually happen and that’s great, I enjoy a lot of those debates and find them interesting and informative. But I feel like the conversation about this topic is going around in circles at this point. What’s left to say that hasn’t already been said?

jlai

Question everything
Oh, they won't send "some green kid."

But they might send a young lady who has outscored Ashley twice this season.

I would wager they will also be sending Nathan, with his 4CC title and 2 GP wins; the Shibs, with their 2 GP wins & current world medal; and both the other U.S. dance teams that have qualified for the GPF multiple seasons in a row, including this season.

But seeing as a selection committee went and sent Cain & Le Duc to 4CCs last season over Castelli & Tran, based on nothing but a higher score at a senior B, who the heck knows who could be propped up? When decisions are made politically, rather than in competition, a LOT depends on who is ahead of you.
I don't think that is gonna happen. 4cc is one where USFS deviates from national placement the most and ends up with the most controversial assignments (remember Dornbush placing 13th and getting 4cc?) , more so than Olympic assignments. Yet 4 years from now people won't remember those yet they still remember Ashley v Mirai in 2014 (which is 3rd v 4th for the Olympics)

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
As a reminder here is team selection criteria that will be considered:

Tier 1
- 2018 U.S. Figure Skating Championships:

Thank you for the facts :)

After putting this together, I'm struck by the fact that 2017 Junior Nationals and 2017 Junior Grand Prix results aren't considered, only Junior Worlds and Junior Grand Prix Finals.

Honestly, it seems to be an oversight. It's as though they couldn't envision considering putting an emerging senior on a team if she hadn't qualified for the Junior Grand Prix Final.

Tier 1
- 2018 U.S. Figure Skating Championships: TBD!!!!

- 2017 ISU Grand Prix Final: No results for anyone

- 2017 ISU World Figure Skating Championships:
Karen Chen - 4th overall, 199.29 (SP-5th, FS-6th); -14.23 to podium, +2.46 ahead of 6th
Ashley Wagner - 7th overall, 193.54 (SP-7th, FS-10th);
Mariah Bell - 12th overall, 187.23 (SP-13th, FS-9th ahead of Wagner);

Tier 2
- 2017 Grand Prix Series Competitions: [Tomorrow, unless someone's already compiled it]

- 2017 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships:
Mirai Nagasu - 3rd overall, 194.95 (SP-5th, FS-2nd)
Mariah Bell - 6th overall, 177.10 (SP-7th, FS-7th) -17.85 to podium, 0.00 ahead of 6th place
Karen Chen - 12th overall, 166.82 (SP-12th, SP-10th) -

Tier 3
- 2017 Challenger Series Events and other senior international competitions: [Tomorrow, unless someone's already compiled it]

- 2017 U.S. Figure Skating Championships:
Final Placement - Name - SP Rank - SP Score - FS Rank - FS Score - Total Score
1 Karen Chen, 1 72.82 1 141.40 214.22
2 Ashley Wagner, 3 70.94 2 140.84 211.78
3 Mariah Bell, 6 63.33 3 134.59 197.92
4 Mirai Nagasu, 2 71.95 4 122.95 194.90
5 Caroline Zhang, 7 62.55 5 120.27 182.82
6 Gracie Gold, 5 64.85 9 114.77 179.62
7 Angela Wang, 11 58.16 7 116.97 175.13
8 Amber Glenn, 12 56.34 8 116.29 172.63
9 Bradie Tennell, 9 59.77 11 110.21 169.98
10 Tessa Hong, 4 65.02 14 103.72 168.74
11 Paige Rydberg, 8 61.60 12 105.32 166.92
12 Courtney Hicks, 18 46.02 6 119.17 165.19

- 2017 World Junior Figure Skating Championships:
Bradie Tennell - 7th overall, 161.36 (SP-7th, FS-7th) - 34.18 to podium, -1.48 to 6th
Starr Andrews - 12th overall, 149.05 (SP-9th, FS-12th)

- 2017 ISU Junior Grand Prix Final: No results for anyone

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information