U.S. Ladies [#20]: In a Week, Maybe Two, They'll Make You a Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willin

@Spareoom In the instagram clip she says that she just felt Moulin Rouge wasn't working for her - that is, she felt it wasn't fresh or fun to skate any more. She felt La La Land did inspire her to skate.

I can believe that's why she changed - Moulin Rouge didn't exactly seem inspired the last two times I saw it. I just hope she's able to perform La La Land well on such short notice, not that performance is her problem.

Sylvia

TBD
This is how Ashley explained her decision to switch from La La Land back to Moulin Rouge in September: http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/09/20/ashley-wagner-moulin-rouge-la-la-land-free-skate/

ETA:
In the instagram clip she says that she just felt Moulin Rouge wasn't working for her - that is, she felt it wasn't fresh or fun to skate any more. She felt La La Land did inspire her to skate.
Sometimes it just takes longer for a skater to realize what some fans may feel is obvious. ;)

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
If she knew she was going to have a slow start to the season, maybe she didn't want to tarnish her LaLaLand program?

FSfan107

I hope this works out for Ashley. I am wondering though after she said it wasn't working for her the first time that now she's going back to it and with only a month until Nationals. I hope she has enough time to get used to it. I don't think the programs are the problems for the U.S. women this year other than the fact they can't seem to decide on them. :lol:

BaileyCatts

I'm just going to say it (and then duck and run for cover :p) ..... anyone who thinks Ashley does not have a guaranteed spot on that Olympic Team is just plain bonkers. Spare me the 'ice is slippery' talk. Like her or not, Ashley is the most experienced lady competing at Nationals. She is now competing in her 11th Senior Nationals (3-G, 1-S, 3-B, two 4ths and a 6th), has 17 GP medals, a 4CC Gold and a World Silver. She could finish 12th at Nationals and still get a spot on that Team. Unless she sustains a season ending injury, Ashley is on.the.Team. There are only 2 spots available at Nationals because Ashley has already got one. So there. :scream::scream::scream::p:scream::scream::scream:

MRani

If Shizuka Arakawa can fail to make the GPF and then switch both of her programs right before the Olympics, then anyone can. At least Ashley has a head start with doing that before Nationals instead of the Olympics.

I think it also helps that she already trained with this program over the summer, so it won’t be quite so hard to switch as it would be if it was brand new or an older program from a season or two ago.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Looks to me to be a bit of a move of desperation to be honest she should have just gone with the new LP all along. This would be a reckless move normally but the US Ladies have been so underwhelming this season she will probably make the team easily.

And I say ditch the SP first. Its so far produced a 7th place finish and a 6th place finish.

MR saved her as* at SC.

Just saying :p

Dobre

I'm just going to say it (and then duck and run for cover :p) ..... anyone who thinks Ashley does not have a guaranteed spot on that Olympic Team is just plain bonkers.

I think if she wants to control her own destiny that she had best do her job at Nationals. She lost the SP to Bradie last weekend (and to Karen at SC). Ashley has the fourth highest U.S. ladies total SB score of the season, the fourth highest U.S. ladies short program score of the season, and the fifth highest U.S. ladies LP score of the season. She had best be healthy, work hard, do her job, and prove she is still the lady to count on in the heat of competition by . . . skating well in the heat of Nationals competition.

There's no great reason to think any of the other U.S. ladies are more likely to stand on that U.S. Nationals podium than Ashley. But if it's Karen or Bradie or Mirai sitting in third with Ashley in fourth, boy, that's a hard argument to make politically, IMO. Better she do her job in the competition.

Marco

I'm just going to say it (and then duck and run for cover :p) ..... anyone who thinks Ashley does not have a guaranteed spot on that Olympic Team is just plain bonkers. Spare me the 'ice is slippery' talk. Like her or not, Ashley is the most experienced lady competing at Nationals. She is now competing in her 11th Senior Nationals (3-G, 1-S, 3-B, two 4ths and a 6th), has 17 GP medals, a 4CC Gold and a World Silver. She could finish 12th at Nationals and still get a spot on that Team. Unless she sustains a season ending injury, Ashley is on.the.Team. There are only 2 spots available at Nationals because Ashley has already got one. So there. :scream::scream::scream::p:scream::scream::scream:

I agree, but funnily enough, she has no more international competition between now and the Olympics, I think it will be difficult for the Fed to make the justification for her if she is again CONVINCINGLY in 4th or lower at Nationals. I do believe we will see sky high PCS from her there as well as a convenient caller just to make her life easier.

I believe the Fed would like to see the free at the team event. If Russia doesn't show, the USA team medal is quite secure and the worst she could place in the free is 5th anyway.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Who are the 5 final countries going to be? CAnada, China, US, (Russia), ??, ??

skateboy

I feel sad about this (and frustrated, honestly) but, with all the craziness surrounding the US ladies... programs being changed left and right, Gracie out, along with no one delivering on any significant level... I have zero interest in regard to who makes the Olympic team.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I think if she wants to control her own destiny that she had best do her job at Nationals. She lost the SP to Bradie last weekend (and to Karen at SC). Ashley has the fourth highest U.S. ladies total SB score of the season, the fourth highest U.S. ladies short program score of the season, and the fifth highest U.S. ladies LP score of the season. She had best be healthy, work hard, do her job, and prove she is still the lady to count on in the heat of competition by . . . skating well in the heat of Nationals competition.

There's no great reason to think any of the other U.S. ladies are more likely to stand on that U.S. Nationals podium than Ashley. But if it's Karen or Bradie or Mirai sitting in third with Ashley in fourth, boy, that's a hard argument to make politically, IMO. Better she do her job in the competition.

She always does work hard. Say what you like about Ashley, she's not going to go to nationals and coast. She never has. She's delivered plenty of flawed skates, but it's not for lack of work.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I'm just going to say it (and then duck and run for cover :p) ..... anyone who thinks Ashley does not have a guaranteed spot on that Olympic Team is just plain bonkers. . . She is now competing in her 11th Senior Nationals (3-G, 1-S, 3-B, two 4ths and a 6th), has 17 GP medals, a 4CC Gold and a World Silver. She could finish 12th at Nationals and still get a spot on that Team.

It's clear that Wagner's fading--She hasn't nailed an international competition since 2016 SA. Lucky for her that three people haven't stepped up to clearly pass her. She still has a great shot at finishing top 3 or thereabouts and being selected. However, USFS is bonkers if they select Wagner after a 12th place finish at nationals. Her skating and her results have steadily worsened since COC 2016. Wagner already got her lifetime achievement Olympics last time; she doesn't deserve it a second time. :saint:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....

Longevity doesn't equal greatness. Her career at this point reminds me of Maria B's. Slogging away for years, finally having some success, & then slowly fading away. I always think it's a shame that some people don't go out on a high note. IMO it tarnishes their achievements.

SkateFanBerlin

A couple years ago someone on GS suggested Ashley should do big Broadway. A brassy Ethel Merman type thing. Nothing happened - though MR is very theatrical - until now. This could work very well for her - big finish. I think she will rise to occasion. She's needed something to chew on, and getting this ready in time is it!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

But... why? Four weeks? I just can't...

If John Curry could put together his Olympic gold medal winning Don Quixote free skate in 30 minutes, four weeks should be a breeze!

(I'm kidding, of course. Sadly, this entire season has been a bit of a La La Land for the likes of Ashley, and Karen Chen, too.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information