U.S. Ice Dance 2021-22 season news & updates

Stephanie

The thing is, Diana is a U.S. citizen, right? She was born here. As such, I think USFS has to offer the same support or opportunities, at least publicly, that they would to other U.S. citizen skaters. Yes the whole situation is very complicated, especially in regard to Eteri, but … Diana is a citizen. They can’t refuse her. I don’t think.
They couldn't refuse Davis, but IIRC there's a specific exemption that's needed for a non-US citizen to compete at nationals and/or qualifying competitions. Technically if USFS really wanted to play hardball they could refuse to give Smolkin this exemption (although I doubt they'd actually do it).

ETA: I looked into it: https://www.usfigureskating.org/sys...3Kaf8VOilzIGbzUiRgXzOGuF7irjlbTOuCDMn3lRWKbY=

All Non-U.S. Citizens who have represented a foreign federation at any level of skating competition must make an application to the chair of the Competitions Committee by submitting a Non-U.S. Citizen Application to Compete (form CC-01) in English
Here's the form itself: https://www.usfigureskating.org/system/files/2020_CC-01_NonCitizenForm.pdf

Last edited:

Dobre

The post says nothing about when she will represent the USA. I am not surprised if this is the long-term plan, but aren't we still waiting for confirmation of a release?

I don't see why USFS should consequence Diana for her mother's decisions. (Also, I mean, it's Shpilband & U.S. Nationals). Regardless of whether Davis & Smolkin would be likely to make it to Worlds, you have to start the journey somewhere.

Rubies

They couldn't refuse Davis, but IIRC there's a specific exemption that's needed for a non-US citizen to compete at nationals and/or qualifying competitions. Technically if USFS really wanted to play hardball they could refuse to give Smolkin this exemption (although I doubt they'd actually do it).

ETA: I looked into it: https://www.usfigureskating.org/sys...3Kaf8VOilzIGbzUiRgXzOGuF7irjlbTOuCDMn3lRWKbY=

Here's the form itself: https://www.usfigureskating.org/system/files/2020_CC-01_NonCitizenForm.pdf
Diana is a US citizen. This doesn't apply.

VGThuy

I hope this means the judges from the bloc won't feel the need to overscore her and Smolkin's performances anymore (if there is still a bloc).

Spiralgraph

Trillian

layman

I hope this means the judges from the bloc won't feel the need to overscore her and Smolkin's performances anymore (if there is still a bloc).
Leave it to Eteri & Co. to bring back the drama to Figure Skating (just when we thought we had left all that behind). Even if her country is banned from competing, even if she's risking arrest for her involvement in the drugging of a minor (or minors), that's not going to stop her...you can't keep a good drama queen down.

Jammers

I do think with the glut of younger US teams coming up that C/B do retire soon they've done almost everything they set out to do and those GP spots could be used for those other teams.

carriecmu0503

I do think with the glut of younger US teams coming up that C/B do retire soon they've done almost everything they set out to do and those GP spots could be used for those other teams.
Why on earth would C/B not compete this upcoming season? I highly doubt P/C are going to compete, H/D have retired, the Russians are very likely to be banned for the whole season- all of this points to a VERY likely world title for C/B! They would be crazy not to give it at least one more year for that opportunity alone!

dancing_on_ice

Why on earth would C/B not compete this upcoming season? I highly doubt P/C are going to compete, H/D have retired, the Russians are very likely to be banned for the whole season- all of this points to a VERY likely world title for C/B! They would be crazy not to give it at least one more year for that opportunity alone!
They already said back in March right before Worlds that they were planning on continuing skating next season, and I imagine their increased chances at winning a world title is a major reason why.

Plans may have changed since then as they've gotten engaged, and they haven't been in Montreal since March to prepare new programs. They're also signed on to do some shows in Japan at the end of July. Let's see what happens when Grand Prix assignments are released.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
They already said back in March right before Worlds that they were planning on continuing skating next season, and I imagine their increased chances at winning a world title is a major reason why.

Plans may have changed since then as they've gotten engaged, and they haven't been in Montreal since March to prepare new programs. They're also signed on to do some shows in Japan at the end of July. Let's see what happens when Grand Prix assignments are released.
There's plenty of time for them to go spend the next month or so in Montreal working on new programs and then return after the shows at the end of July and continue season preparations. After all, they were able to completely re-do their RD last season between Champs Camp and SkAm. It seems to me that most of the skaters who were on the full US SOI tour took at least a couple weeks off and are only just now showing back up at the rink/gym to begin for next season. Evan & Madi pretty much flew from Portland to Thailand (which is a full day of traveling) and had a couple of days of vacation before the ISU Congress which took up five days, and they've spent the past week enjoying some real time off. I'd only worry if they weren't back in Montreal sometime next week.

Spiralgraph

Precisely. C/B aren't my favorite American team, but if they have the resources, desire and commitment to skate for a season or two or more, they should. All this give new teams a chance etc. overlooks something. As good as we think some of our younger US teams are, they're not going to rank in the top 4 or 5 in the world right away even without the Russians. If C/B left skating now, we fans would have to wait a bit to see a very top ranked American team at worlds.

litenkyckling

I think the big issue here is the way we allow teams to qualify for championships - so many young talented teams quit because they can't see a way upwards and it isn't fair. I think in theory a system where you earn your own individual spot would be so much more interesting (but I know they'd never even consider that)

Trillian

Precisely. C/B aren't my favorite American team, but if they have the resources, desire and commitment to skate for a season or two or more, they should. All this give new teams a chance etc. overlooks something. As good as we think some of our younger US teams are, they're not going to rank in the top 4 or 5 in the world right away even without the Russians. If C/B left skating now, we fans would have to wait a bit to see a very top ranked American team at worlds.

On the flipside, looking at the teams who ranked ahead of them this past season, I can imagine Hawayek & Baker and/or Green & Parsons moving into the top five very quickly. Among the higher-ranked teams that we know for sure are continuing, Fear & Gibson are really the only ones I can see moving up significantly. Older teams who stick around don’t hang onto the top spots forever (we already saw Gilles & Poirier slide down in the rankings this past season). Whenever Chock & Bates retire, I don’t think the U.S. is looking at a big gap between world podium contenders. That said, I totally agree that there’s no good reason for Chock & Bates to retire right now if they want to continue. And beyond H&B and G&P, the rest of the U.S. teams aren’t at the same level yet.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Jean-Luc is naturally gifted and his partner is quite good. I’d like to see a full season without injuries and without being stuck with the #3 label; their recent programs have been great. And I like G/P for themselves and also giving H/B the domestic competition to keep them sharp.

Rhumba d’Amour

Green/Parsons have the goods I believe. It may take a minute but I find them more naturally gifted. They need to get nerves of steel.
I also think that at this point, Hawayek & Baker have shown us all they can show us and won’t improve significantly vis-a-vis Chock & Bates as well as the international competition. Green & Parsons are the ones who can shake things up.

VGThuy

Green/Parsons are the now, and I hope they prove they can be successful (especially as one of the few non-Montreal based Western Europe/4CC teams) but I hope they continue to improve and gain more power-presence. I was rooting for them to make the Olympic team last year until Hawayek/Bakwr reminded me why I do love them when they’re on like at this past Nationals. In terms of sheer difficulty and execution of technique, H/B were severely underscored at the Olympics and as much as I loved Zorro, the Olivia and Adria’s two-footed posey FD should not have ranked as high as it did. Jean-Luc really is an incredible and super underrated talent and Kaitlin is getting better in Montreal.

Bigbird

Green/Parsons are the now, and I hope they prove they can be successful (especially as one of the few non-Montreal based Western Europe/4CC teams) but I hope they continue to improve and gain more power-presence. I was rooting for them to make the Olympic team last year until Hawayek/Bakwr reminded me why I do love them when they’re on like at this past Nationals. In terms of sheer difficulty and execution of technique, H/B were severely underscored at the Olympics and as much as I loved Zorro, the Olivia and Adria’s two-footed posey FD should not have ranked as high as it did. Jean-Luc really is an incredible and super underrated talent and Kaitlin is getting better in Montreal.
You know I agree with you. It's just that the pictures Adria and Olivia created were a lot more compelling.

I miss that couple that gave us the Amelie programme. Dance is just savage.

sk9tingfan

I'm hoping that they will be at next month's competition in Lake Placid. Cannot wait to see their new programs. If not Lake Placid, ten maybe in Norwood when Cranberry will occur from August 10th-14th.

Trillian

I also think that at this point, Hawayek & Baker have shown us all they can show us and won’t improve significantly vis-a-vis Chock & Bates as well as the international competition. Green & Parsons are the ones who can shake things up.

I disagree about Hawayek & Baker - they’re already a strong technical team and IMO they’re just starting to finally find their style as performers. They built a lot of momentum over their last three competitions. The next season is going to be really critical for them, but the potential to level up is there.

Green & Parsons will be fun to watch and I agree that they have the potential to shake things up. One way or another, even with a changing of the guards, I still expect U.S. dance teams to be Olympic podium contenders in 2026.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information