This Is Us, Season 6: The Final Chapter

Judy

I’m at peace with the finale for many reasons.

I’ve lost 1/2 my family from cancer. Perhaps some people haven’t experienced a loss yet. There is thank 🙏 no more suffering and then there is grief at losing them. My family members are forever in my heart and I also choose to believe that they can see us when it’s important. Life goes on because it has to go on.
But how long were they taking care of her in the house Kevin built, with nurses? What was present time, when she first started getting lost, a couple years ago? So getting progressively worse for 13 years? How long since Miguel died? I need a spreadsheet. They acted like they had all been best friends and living next door to each other and their mother all of their lives, and it was such a shock that she was suddenly dead. How long had it been since she was mentally there? I know we didn't see everything they did day-to-day or every time they got together, but their last talk was just so forced, about not drifting (apart, I guess they meant).

Both of my parents died when they were 80, two years apart. Of course I always remember things from growing up, still talk about them, always will. I lost my last aunt and two uncles last February and December. Four close cousins who died between the ages of 47 and 63.

Anyway, my best parts were Nicky kidding Kevin. And Kate and Toby. Where was Kate's milquetoast husband?

Randall would be insufferable running for president. Like he'd be the trailblazing first black president or something. Been there, done that, voted for him twice. What will be his sob story, I was born to black drug addicts but raised by nice, middle class white people?
Not going to comment on that. We all have different experiences. I was just like .. being a caregiver and my losses. Grief heals but there is nothing easy going through it at all 😔.

I just remember bawling when when my sister gave birth to her first son on my brother’s one month death. His loss is still devastating to us.

Susan1

@Susan1 So, did you even like this show? I can't figure out why you watched it, given the disdain you seem to have for it.
Nothing else on? I was closer to Rebecca and Jack's ages and I thought their storyline was interesting (70s, Vietnam, etc.), so I had to stick around and see what happened.

Your question about why I thought there was too much Deja. Because it seems like after Deja got there, his two daughters got pushed aside. Wasn't one of them gay? They dropped that.

And the idea of Jack being perfect has been central to the show.
Remember when we knew Jack would die, and we all thought it would be from driving drunk or something? They dropped the alcoholic thing and made Jack a hero to be worshipped forever.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
But how long were they taking care of her in the house Kevin built, with nurses? What was present time, when she first started getting lost, a couple years ago? So getting progressively worse for 13 years? How long since Miguel died? I need a spreadsheet. They acted like they had all been best friends and living next door to each other and their mother all of their lives, and it was such a shock that she was suddenly dead. How long had it been since she was mentally there? I know we didn't see everything they did day-to-day or every time they got together, but their last talk was just so forced, about not drifting (apart, I guess they meant).

Both of my parents died when they were 80, two years apart. Of course I always remember things from growing up, still talk about them, always will. I lost my last aunt and two uncles last February and December. Four close cousins who died between the ages of 47 and 63.

Anyway, my best parts were Nicky kidding Kevin. And Kate and Toby. Where was Kate's milquetoast husband?

Randall would be insufferable running for president. Like he'd be the trailblazing first black president or something. Been there, done that, voted for him twice. What will be his sob story, I was born to black drug addicts but raised by nice, middle class white people?
Kate's wedding to Phillip is in 2026, so there were seven years between that and Rebecca dying. It wasn't clear which year Miguel died, but I'm thinking two or three years after the wedding.

Susan1

Not going to comment on that. We all have different experiences. I was just like .. being a caregiver and my losses. Grief heals but there is nothing easy going through it at all 😔.

I just remember bawling when when my sister gave birth to her first son on my brother’s one month death. His loss is still devastating to us.
Well, you said "Perhaps some people haven’t experienced a loss yet." in response to my post, like I didn't know anything about loss, so I didn't understand what these fictional characters were feeling. I didn't say it was easy, just that they acted like they didn't know this day was going to come for (I still don't know) 5-10 years. 82 is not exactly too young to die from something. It was her living with dementia that was the hard part. My aunt with dementia was only really out of it for the last year, after having lung problems for the last 14 years. At the beginning of the pandemic, she asked me on the phone if I got another dog yet, when we had been emailing each other for years, and my dog died in 2000, and she knew I would never get another one. I cried buckets when I got off the phone. She got c.v. and didn't know it. She just said she had a headache. She fell in the garage on Christmas Eve and had to go to the emergency room. Didn't remember it the next day. Wondered if they went to Midnight Mass last night. I watched my mom go in and out of hospitals/ICUs/hospice for 5 years - COPD. My dad only lasted 5 months after his cancer diagnosis. I did not have any brothers or sisters, or husband or children, to help me.

Judy

Well, you said "Perhaps some people haven’t experienced a loss yet." in response to my post, like I didn't know anything about loss, so I didn't understand what these fictional characters were feeling. I didn't say it was easy, just that they acted like they didn't know this day was going to come for (I still don't know) 5-10 years. 82 is not exactly too young to die from something. It was her living with dementia that was the hard part. My aunt with dementia was only really out of it for the last year, after having lung problems for the last 14 years. At the beginning of the pandemic, she asked me on the phone if I got another dog yet, when we had been emailing each other for years, and my dog died in 2000, and she knew I would never get another one. I cried buckets when I got off the phone. She got c.v. and didn't know it. She just said she had a headache. She fell in the garage on Christmas Eve and had to go to the emergency room. Didn't remember it the next day. Wondered if they went to Midnight Mass last night. I watched my mom go in and out of hospitals/ICUs/hospice for 5 years - COPD. My dad only lasted 5 months after his cancer diagnosis. I did not have any brothers or sisters, or husband or children, to help me.
I was not targeting you. I don’t see a 2nd series on this though. If there was it would be about the kids growing up. I can’t see it happening .. maybe? some day?

we have all had our individual trauma and losses. It’s not a competition or something I’d wish on anybody.

Susan1

I was not targeting you. I don’t see a 2nd series on this though. If there was it would be about the kids growing up. I can’t see it happening .. maybe? some day?

we have all had our individual trauma and losses. It’s not a competition or something I’d wish on anybody.
Again, you said "Perhaps some people haven’t experienced a loss yet." in response to my post. What "some people" were you referring to? I didn't mention other people that didn't like parts of the episode. I've never liked any of the Big, It's all about Me Me Me, Three. And they are still the same way after their mother has died.

Sylvia

TBD
Interviews with creator, writer and executive producer Dan Fogelman:

And Sterling K. Brown:

Last edited:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I thought at first that it was a little disappointing but when it really sunk in I felt that it was a good ending. Adults sitting around together laughing & crying after a funeral is so typical & healing. And I loved the nothing Saturday. When I was small my family would have days like that playing games. Everything pointed to the fact that life goes on. I liked that they didn't tell us what everyone would be doing in the future. Plus if they decide to have a spin-off they won't be locked into anything specific. I'll miss the Pearsons.

sk8pics

I was meh about the finale, too. But I thought Randall’s reaction to the prospect of a grandson was hilarious. And I also like Nicky’s last lines to Kevin.

I loved the penultimate episode. I think maybe it all would have worked better for me if it had been a 2 hour episode, and we saw the train stuff and Rebecca dying, followed by the funeral and winding down.

It was kind of cool to see future kids and current kids doing some of the same things the Big Three did as little kids.

Japanfan

I am a lot surprised. I think there must be a specific reason for the snub.

I think this is one of the best TV shows ever made!

Last edited:

manhn

Broadcast tv does not get enough respect and it’s more of a commitment to watch. Stylistically, TIU is different from what is normally recognized as quality television. Too earnest, makes people cry, too family-oriented.

No one is going to convince me anyone was better than Mandy.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Broadcast tv does not get enough respect and it’s more of a commitment to watch. Stylistically, TIU is different from what is normally recognized as quality television. Too earnest, makes people cry, too family-oriented.

No one is going to convince me anyone was better than Mandy.
But up to now TIU has gotten a lot of nominations, esp for Sterling. So this is definitely a snub. The writers should have gotten at least a nomination for The Train. It was brilliant.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I am SO sad about Mandy being snubbed. That one really hurt when I saw the nominations yesterday and I don't know what else she would have had to do to get that nomination. It's even worse when you think about the fact that the Emmys air on NBC this year and their anchor show for the last six years just got nearly completed snubbed in their overall VERY strong final season and no one can figure out how that happened or why. :fragile:

Sylvia

TBD

Sylvia

TBD
Chris Sullivan pays tribute to Ron Cephas Jones (January 8, 1957 - August 19, 2023) whose memorial service was held in NYC this past Sunday: https://www.instagram.com/p/CxWa1VLvy53/

Mandy Moore's tribute last month: https://www.instagram.com/p/CwJX9NFPzCq/
Sterling K. Brown: https://www.instagram.com/p/CwJSevkPWTV/
Susan Kelechi Watson: https://www.instagram.com/p/CwLJVbPL03p/
Jon Huertas: https://www.instagram.com/p/CwJeWC0JhTT/
Chrissy Metz: https://www.instagram.com/p/CwJXa8fLJsy/

Sylvia

TBD
News of Cephas Jones' (This is Us' William Hill) death last month wasn't in the "In Memoriam" thread in this subforum so I thought bumping this thread back up for this sad purpose would be appropriate. Obituaries:

Excerpts:
Ron Cephas Jones, an admired actor in New York theater and on television shows, including “This Is Us,” a family drama for which he won two Emmy Awards — drawing on his troubled youth of drug addiction and temporary homelessness for inspiration — has died. He was 66.
The writer and creator of “This Is Us,” Dan Fogelman, posted about Mr. Jones’s death on X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter. Mr. Jones’s manager, Dan Spilo, told The Associated Press that Mr. Jones had died from “a longstanding pulmonary issue.” He did not specify where or when he died.
Mr. Jones received a double-lung transplant in 2020, after years of living with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
Ron Cephas Jones was born on Jan. 8, 1957, in Paterson, N.J., where he grew up. He graduated from Ramapo College with a theater degree in 1978. In his youth, he had gone to Harlem to see jazz shows and plays, and he returned to New York after graduating to find a place in the art scene. But he developed a heroin addiction that stalled his ambitions.
Mr. Jones tried to get clean during a series of moves and career changes — for four years he was a bus driver in Los Angeles — but for a long time nothing stuck. At one point he was arrested with 10 small bags of heroin and, by his account, barely escaped serving a five-year prison sentence.
He relapsed again and again, eventually prompting his mother to stop answering his phone calls. In the mid-1980s, he slept on a bench in Paterson’s Eastside Park. An uncle invited Mr. Jones to stay with him at his Harlem apartment, and in 1986 he succeeded in sobering up. In 1990, he starred in his first play, “Don’t Explain” by Samuel B. Harps, at the Nuyorican Poets Cafe on the Lower East Side of Manhattan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information