Netflix/Prime/Hulu Discoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinakt

Started watching Shtisel and besides the Hebrew, am I hearing Yiddish when the older lady in the nursing home speaks? I don’t speak either but am very familiar with the sound of Yiddish. It’s a Jewish tradition for the grandparents to speak Yiddish when they don’t want the grandkids to understand ;)
Yup! I don't speak Yiddish but between understanding German and knowing Yiddish expressions, was getting a lot. This show has GREAT older ladies, some of my favorite scenes. And Grandma's family speaks Yiddish with her, and Hebrew with each other.
Also, thank you for "The Lion in your Room" recommendation! Definitely will save to watch with family.

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
Thanks for the Catwalk recommendation - that was a lot of fun. I've always been a shelter kitty person, but Bobby sure seemed like a fun kitty cat, and not what I think of when I imagine show cats.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Thanks for the Catwalk recommendation - that was a lot of fun. I've always been a shelter kitty person, but Bobby sure seemed like a fun kitty cat, and not what I think of when I imagine show cats.
Bobby seems like a down to earth cat but not Oh La La. You can't hold a full time job and have one of these, can you?

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I just finished watching Dirty John. Firstly watched the documentary and then the series starring Eric Bana and Connie Britton.

The documentary was quite fascinating. I felt they overused the dramatic music but still the story was really interesting.

Bana was very good as Dirty John in the series. It is only 8 episodes which was just enough. As it built towards the end it got very engrossing and really did quite a bit of background that explained events. Worth watching.

Funny thing Alan Ruck who played Cameron in Ferris Bueller's Day Off is also in it. I kept going "That is Cameron".

Aussie Willy

Has anyone seen Kitten Rescuers on Netflix?

British program hosted by Jo Brand (who is an absolute cat lover). They follow rescues of cats and kittens, kitties being adopted and all sorts of cats being treated at vets with some nice kitty stories. So many little :cat: to :swoon: over.

Aussie Willy

Has anyone watch Love Death & Robots? I did see a clip come across my FB feed but when I watched something else on Netflix it came up on my Netflix recommendations. I had watched an episode of Trailer Park Boys which had Queens of the Stone Age appearing.

They are like a collective of 18 short animated films. I just brought a new QLED TV which has great picture quality so the animation was sensational to look at. Just a variety of subjects. Only watched a few but still very creative. The one I enjoyed the most was Three Robots. People had destroyed themselves so the robots were being tourists and discussing facts about people, just like people talk about history.

And then there was the one where they went through scenarios if Hitler had been killed when younger. A bit of silly fun in the choose your own adventure style.

mjb52

Just finished The OA Season 2 (it was so much scarier than the first season - at least to me - that I had to wait until I could watch it earlier in the day rather than close to when it was time for bed) and it is ouuuuut there. It's not for everybody but I absolutely love it. I wasn't totally sold on Season 1 but Season 2 was really perfect and I deeply envy Marling and Batmanglij's willingness to do things that some viewers/critics will find ridiculous and not be afraid of how they will look.

Aussie Willy

The 2nd part of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is available now! :cheer:
Found it and started watching it. Thought putting my thoughts into a spoiler in case there is anyone who hasn't watched the first season.

I kind of like that she has found the dark side. Makes it much more interesting. Also glad that she is still friends with her friends. For me the most fascinating character is Mary Wardwell. Love her attitude and two facedness (if that is a word).

LeafOnTheWind

I am still trying to decide if I like The OA or not. Yet I keep watching. It's all a mystery to me including why I even watch it. :lol:

LeafOnTheWind

A friend recommended a Christian Slater tv show to me where he worked with a computer hacker. She couldn't remember the name of it. Let me just say don't bother with Breaking In from 2011. I'm shocked it had 2 seasons. Do watch Mr. Robot from 2015-present with Rami Malek. No tv show is ever really realistic but the hacker parts are very well researched so far. I am still working on season 1 and haven't made it to 2-4 yet but I have a feeling I will be enjoying this series.

Erin

Banned Member
Finally got a chance to watch Derry Girls, which was recommended way back and loved it. I would watch it just for the soundtrack alone but it was also hilarious. Can’t wait for the next season. Love Sister Michael, especially in the last episode.

At the other end of the spectrum, someone mentioned Abducted in Plain Sight earlier in this thread and even though I was spoiled, I basically spent the whole documentary going :eek:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Finally got a chance to watch Derry Girls, which was recommended way back and loved it. I would watch it just for the soundtrack alone but it was also hilarious. Can’t wait for the next season. Love Sister Michael, especially in the last episode.

Second season just finished here and it was even better than the first.

Erin

Banned Member
Second season just finished here and it was even better than the first.

Yeah I saw on Wikipedia that the second season is already done over there. I’m trying to resist looking at the episode descriptions as I’m not sure how long it will take to come on over here. The preview looked hilarious!

LeafOnTheWind

I get on a true crime kick every once in a while and started watching the Pam Smart trial on Hulu. What a smarmy sexist piece of shit the defense attorney is. He was very dismissive of Cecilia Pierce's testimony by saying:
She got to have her new dress purchased by the state for her and she got to have her hair done by the state and she got to get on that witness stand and testify for the state.
:blah:

Yes, he's still trying to defend Pam and go with the innocent defense but I seriously doubt Cecilia thought an effing new free dress was a great payoff for her role in the whole thing. He did say she was trying to get no jail time, etc which was a lot less offensive to me. That's exactly what I would expect a defense attorney to say. The dress and hair part is patronizing. This series was released in 2018 so it's not like this is from years ago. It's current enough where he should know better if he wasn't a smarmy piece of shit.

It just really pissed me off. He didn't talk about the three boys in the same manner although he was dismissive of Billy Flynn's acting job on the stand. If Cecilia got a new dress courtesy of the state wouldn't the boys have gotten new suits? [sarcasm on] I'm sure that was a great motivation for cooperating with the prosecution. [sasrcasm off] :rolleyes:

Talk about grooming though. Was the high school mentor program for all students or did Pam Smart have direct access to kids who had already been identified as vulnerable by being in the program? Cecilia broke my heart when she talked about feeling guilty for testifying against Pam. She had been used by this vile woman and she felt like she had betrayed someone. She did not betray anyone; she was the one betrayed. I also don't think Billy Flynn was acting at all on the witness stand. I think by that point he truly understood what he had done by killing an innocent man and rightly felt guilt over it.

What a mess. Those poor kids lives were changed forever.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Last night we watched both the Hulu and the Netflix documentary on the failed Fyre Festival. They were both interesting but the Netflix one did have more insider stuff and so I felt like it showed the bigger picture of how they got to the point they got to more than the Hulu one. This is interesting because the Netflix one was done by one of the PR companies for the event so you'd think they'd do a lot of whitewashing. I'm glad I watched both though because there were details in each one that the other one didn't include.

Any one else watching After Life? I’m not really a Ricky Gervais fan but I had enough people recommend it to me that I’ve been watching it and have been really enjoying it.

I also finally checked out Derry Girls thanks to this thread and even though I’m sure I’m missing lots of cultural references I thought it was fantastic. I’m glad another season is coming!

LeafOnTheWind

I've been watching the Gypsy Rose Blanchard stuff and I can't figure out how a woman can get that many invasive medical procedures done to a healthy child. How did the doctors end up going along with this woman's sickness? I saw that Dee Dee had some medical training which probably gave her a starting point in fooling others but the scope and number of the procedures is incomprehensible to me.

Then you have all the charities that fell for the act too. How does no one catch the scope of this before it got that out of hand?

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I didn't know where to post this since it's a returning show that is now on Netflix but I started binging the new season of Lucifer tonight (it dropped on Wednesday May 8th) and I'm enjoying it so much. The show feels exactly the same as the one I loved on Fox but it's actually even better now that they have a little more freedom and its acutally made me laugh out loud SOOOO many times. Lucifier hasn't lost his quick wit at all and the other characters have had some funny moments too. The character development overall is outstanding and I love that I'm gonna be able to watch the entire season without commercials (and only the breaks that I'm forced to take because of getting sleep, LOL). :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information