Netflix/Prime/Hulu Discoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
So I just finished binging the new season of Lucifer on Netflix and I'm gonna need them to announce a S5 like, tomorrow, because they CANNOT leave us hanging on that cliffhanger forever and I absolutely need more of this show. They did SUCH an incredible job making the show feel like it always felt on Fox but also added a few new things that they could now get away with by being on Netflix. You can tell how much TPTB care about the characters and the stories and EVERYTHING felt so natural between everyone in the cast. Every episode was awesome. That finale though...it definitely got me right in my emotions so I really need S5 now please! :fragile: :wuzrobbed :yikes:

annie720

Currently watching- and adoring!- “Shtisel”, an Israeli family saga about an ultra- Orthodox family in Jerusalem. It is on Netflix, and is just amazing, astute and relatable.

Just watched the first three episodes of Shtisel and I love it! If I hadn't seen it mentioned here, I probably wouldn't have given it a look, so thanks! Very well done series. I'm going to try to stop here for the day so that my eyes can rest from the subtitles, but I'll be looking forward to seeing more tomorrow.

jenny12

Watched the documentary about AOC and three other candidates challenging Democratic incumbents in the primaries last year. Would recommend and if you're not crying at the end there is something wrong with you.

I’m late to the party but I agree with every word. The documentary really took us on their journey. I did find the AOC part the most interesting but enjoyed all of the women’s story. Yes, I was totally crying at the end!

CoolGuy

Don't know if anyone has watched season 2 of Cobra Kai, but it was absolutely fantastic. And as ridiculous as the last episode's fight sequence is, I loved every minute of it.

mjb52

I wouldn't call Season Two of The Rain good exactly (I wouldn't have called Season One of The Rain good either) but it is incredibly fun to watch. It makes no real sense but the actors are good and their chemistry is appealing.

VGThuy

My husband and I just started getting into My Hero Academia available on Hulu in both dubbed and subbed versions (we always watch it subbed and maybe do the dub if we like a show so much we watch it twice). It's a pretty recently released anime that is developing its fourth season right now. It's set in a world where 80% of the world has some sort of "quirk" they're born with. This was a relatively recent development in this world. This created a world where those quirks are heavily regulated as more people were committing crimes doing it. This lead to a superhero culture where people can train and get licensed to be professional heroes. They get paid by the job. This show is centered around a Japanese boy who was born "quirkless" who wishes to be a hero anyway and dreams of going to this prestigious high school that trains future heroes.

The high school setting and the coming-of-age angle mixed with the Japanese-style slice-of-life moments reminds me more of Harry Potter than X-Men or other Super Hero films if Harry Potter also focused on developing all of his classmates outside of Ron and Hermione and giving them some great storylines as well. There's even a sort of Snape-like teacher except he doesn't punish students for fun, is not bitter, and actually is a great teacher for all students beneath his gruffness.

I think for an anime that contains twenty high school student characters learning how to control their "quirks" to become superheroes on top of a slew of other "professional heroes" plus teachers and then villains and other students from a different class/department, this show does character development quite amazingly for all twenty of the student characters thus far or at least you seriously know their personalities. Small things these characters learn in through classes, training, socializing, and even an arc with them having individual internships with professional heroes actually show up later on in future arcs. Characters that seem like comedic relief and make you wonder how they got into that prestigious high school that only accepts like 3% of applicants actually have value and when push-comes-to-shove will show their true grit. You actually end up really loving all of the characters and sort of feel proud when they have break throughs.

I think what I like is how this show plays with tone so well. I think this is something Amazon's version of The Tick tried to do by making it super dark and almost scary, but tried to be comical at the same time. To me that show did not work at all and I gave up after like 2-3 episodes. This show knows how to balance humor, lightness, and showing teens doing teen stuff with adults trying to control them with some seriously dark and violent storylines and characters. There are some villains that really seem like they are unhinged and capable of serious mass murder.

I do have an issue with one male classmate who is pervy with some female characters, but I guess it's a cultural difference in how that's sort of played for laughs. At least the other characters don't seem to tolerate it and do think it's gross. Luckily, it doesn't happen so often that it dominates the other parts of the story.

Seerek

Fleabag Season 2 was something else.

I know Phoebe Waller-Bridge is one busy woman these days, so I wonder if she'd wait another 2 years to do a season 3.

Watched the documentary about AOC and three other candidates challenging Democratic incumbents in the primaries last year. Would recommend and if you're not crying at the end there is something wrong with you.

I just watched this today. Definitely was crying.

topaz

I'm catching up on the 3rd season of Syfy's The Expanse, which in my opinion is one of the most underrated shows in US television right.

It reminds so much of the Battlestar Galactica reboot in the early 2000s which is one of my favorite series of all time.

SandraMGfan

Does Amazon Originals fall into this thread? Either way I recommend Made In Heaven - fiction about two wedding planners in modern Delhi. Lots of Hindi being spoken, but I was quite impressed with the storyline and the quality of the show. 9 episodes only.

Lucy25

Yeah I saw on Wikipedia that the second season is already done over there. I’m trying to resist looking at the episode descriptions as I’m not sure how long it will take to come on over here. The preview looked hilarious!

I just watched the second season on Vimeo. I was just Googling about the 2nd season and it came up. I could not believe that I was able to find it. With the exception of the 2nd episode (which I found blah), it is hilarious and touching!

LeafOnTheWind

I watched Unicorn Store on Netflix. It's weird but it has Brie Larson (Captain Marvel), Samuel L. Jackson and Joan Cusack so it was worth the weird. I can't call it great cinema but it was fun watching Brie face the trials and tribulations of leaving childhood dreams and facing adulthood. Basically it's hard to leave the dreams behind but you can find joy in other dreams.

I liked how Mamoudou Athie (Virgil) reacted to Brie Larson's (Kit's) news that she was going to get a real unicorn from the unicorn store. :lol:

jenny12

Cannot recommend “When They See Us” highly enough. Easily DuVernay’s best work.
https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...y-see-us-shows-cases-impact-us-policy/590779/

Agreed. I finished watching it today. What a devastating work with amazing performances, especially Jharrel Jerome who broke my heart. It brutally conveys the nightmare being black in this country can be and why it is so important to say Black Lives Matter. This film brilliantly and brutally conveys what it looks when they do not.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Anyone else watched Good Omens? I am using my 30 day free trial on Amazon Prime to watch it.

Really enjoying it. David Tennant obviously had fun making it.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
My husband insisted we try it. I'm not getting into it, to be honest. But it has its moments.

Aussie Willy

I think it is a specific style of humour. If you are into Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams it would be right up your alley.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I loved Douglas Adams Hitchhiker's Guide but the show just isn't working for me. Maybe I'll get more into it as it goes on (since Mr. Mac isn't ready to give up on it).

Aussie Willy

I loved Douglas Adams Hitchhiker's Guide but the show just isn't working for me. Maybe I'll get more into it as it goes on (since Mr. Mac isn't ready to give up on it).
I have found it has gotten better as it has gone along.

I really like the theme music for the show. Could see it being used in the skating program.

And Handmaid's Tale is back on tonight. Can't wait for this one.

LeafOnTheWind

Good Omens is on my list. I've been too sleepy this week to pay close attention to anything so I'm waiting for the weekend. It's supposed to rain and I won't want to go out anywhere.

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies
Has anyone finished watching Black Mirror Season 5? Unlike a lot of online comments, I enjoyed them all, although I would only place one among my favorite Black Mirror episodes.

Aussie Willy

I finished Good Omens last night. Sometimes nice to have a 6 episode season. Really enjoyed it.

Also saw the first 3 eps of the Handmaid's Tale. Intriguing as always with fabulous performances.

mjb52

I am watching The Wandering Earth right now. I've seen articles recently about China/Russia getting closer to each other as both have issues with the US so it's sort of interesting that the primary "foreign" character in this movie is Russian. I can't really follow the technical side of the story and I'm guessing it's probably not too plausible (but I can't follow it so I am not the one to judge!) but it's a really amazing production aesthetically and an interesting contrast to the 50-60 episode tv shows I watched a year or two ago that were all more historical/mythological/fantastical (not sure what genre to give them exactly) like Ice Fantasy and the Miles of Peach Blossom one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information