Movie Awards Season 2018-19 Road to Oscar

vgerdes

I did point out two movies that did not belong there. Widows is one of them, and I have seen it. I gave it 6/10. IMO any version of MI does not belong on ‘best pictures’ list. May be the original did at the time it was released (I didn’t see it).

It’s fine if it is one person’s list. I disagree with some of his choices and some of his omissions. I do have the right to my opinion.

Exactly. I never said that other people had to agree with me.

VGThuy

I don't have any issue whatsoever with people disagreeing or stating it. I just took issue with the word "credible" which to me says a lot more than merely disagreeing with a list as you're attacking the credibility of the people who made those lists.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I don't have any issue whatsoever with people disagreeing or stating it. I just took issue with the word "credible" which to me says a lot more than merely disagreeing with a list as you're attacking the credibility of the people who made those lists.

That too is just someone's opinion. We are not looking at evidence in a court here.

Who said we must agree with the critics? Very often I don't, and I dont care if they have reviewed a billion movies. I still have my opinion on a movie.

Anyway, it is time to move on. No need to split hair over one word.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Before I move on, I'm just saying this isn't a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. I disagree with critics I respect all of the time regarding certain films. I don't think lists are infallible either (though I wish you guys would watch the video montage when I felt was well-done and highlights films well). My issue is questioning the credibility of the listmaker's background just because you don't like he left off one particular movie. That one word is very important.

Anyway, the I don't foresee Crazy Rich Asians getting a Best Picture nomination at the Oscars nor do I think it deserves one despite it being one of my highlights of my film going experience this past year. However, if it does some how sneak up on there I wouldn't be too pressed. Lord knows there've been worse movies nominated for Best Picture.

Regina King's snub at SAG is surprising and probably shows this may be Amy Adam's year to win an Oscar.

vgerdes

Before I move on, I'm just saying this isn't a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. I disagree with critics I respect all of the time regarding certain films. I don't think lists are infallible either (though I wish you guys would watch the video montage when I felt was well-done and highlights films well). My issue is questioning the credibility of the listmaker's background just because you don't like he left off one particular movie. That one word is very important.

I never questioned the credibility of the listmaker's background. You're reading FAR too much into one word.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
FWIW, my first reaction to that list was: Any list that doesn't have _____ and _____ has no credibility with me. :lol:

Seriously, how can I take his choices seriously if he's missing two films that I think should be in the list of top movies of the decade.

And before you have a shit fit all over me, I did watch the video. It was very nice. But I couldn't figure out what half those movies were (making it useless as a vehicle to find new movies to watch) and the prominent use of music and scenes from movies that didn't end up on his list was perplexing.

VGThuy

I’m more interested in what two movies you felt were missing And what your list would look like so it can be open for comment.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Here are some predictions- Oscars and BAFTA combined. Quite an interesting approach. They are just predictions, not nominations, but I agree with most of his sure shots (for nominations at Oscar). He has left the door open for the remaining one or two spots. There are so many good ones that it is going to be a crap shoot.

https://culturedvultures.com/2019-oscars-at-a-glance-first-bafta-nomination-predictions/

I think BAFTA will be held in Feb. 2019.

Mozart

I've got 99 problems but a colon ain't 1
Looking forward to seeing that film. Love Hugh Grant - such a fine comedic actor, and I've always thought he was rather brilliant (love him in 'About a Boy' and 'Love, Actually').

Jay42

Between the click of the light

Anyway, the I don't foresee Crazy Rich Asians getting a Best Picture nomination at the Oscars nor do I think it deserves one despite it being one of my highlights of my film going experience this past year. However, if it does some how sneak up on there I wouldn't be too pressed. Lord knows there've been worse movies nominated for Best Picture.

Regina King's snub at SAG is surprising and probably shows this may be Amy Adam's year to win an Oscar.
Amy Adams is long overdue and if she were to lose again she might start to reach DiCaprio levels of memeification, something I've been seeing start to crop up since she was snubbed for a nomination for Arrival. I have no opinion about either movie though because I live in the boonies and won't get to see either of them until they come out for home release. I like both actresses, Amy Adams should have won an Oscar years ago but I wouldn't be choked if she lost to Regina King.

That being said if either Olivia Colman or Glenn Close lose to Lady Gaga I will be annoyed, but I'll get over it, eventually. Admittedly, this is based off of my knowledge of prior works by all the actresses involved. Bradley Cooper annoys me to an irrational degree so I've been avoiding A Star is Born, the only Oscar bait movie that will make it this far north, apparently.

I liked the montage, I'm a sucker for well edited movie montages like that, even if I haven't seen all of the movies. It gives me movies to look into for future viewing.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Amy Adams is long overdue and if she were to lose again she might start to reach DiCaprio levels of memeification, something I've been seeing start to crop up since she was snubbed for a nomination for Arrival. I have no opinion about either movie though because I live in the boonies and won't get to see either of them until they come out for home release. I like both actresses, Amy Adams should have won an Oscar years ago but I wouldn't be choked if she lost to Regina King.

That being said if either Olivia Colman or Glenn Close lose to Lady Gaga I will be annoyed, but I'll get over it, eventually. Admittedly, this is based off of my knowledge of prior works by all the actresses involved. Bradley Cooper annoys me to an irrational degree so I've been avoiding A Star is Born, the only Oscar bait movie that will make it this far north, apparently.

I liked the montage, I'm a sucker for well edited movie montages like that, even if I haven't seen all of the movies. It gives me movies to look into for future viewing.

Amy Adams was snubbed for Big Eyes also. I thought she should have been nominated. I was not that impressed with her in Arrival. Actually that whole movie sucked, IMO.

Bradley Cooper is actually very good in 'Star' and I won't be upset if he wins best actor, although I believe Viggo deserves it more. I didn't like the movie 'Star is...' born that much but many others feel that it is very good. I don't mind that. I will be upset if First man gets a best picture and/or best actor nomination. What really upsets me is that critics slammed Bohemian Rhapsody for deviating from the correct dates, but they did not mind First Man throwing away something very important (omitting the US flag and the historical significance of moon walk) to create something mushy at the end.

As a director Bradley is likely to lose to Curon (Roma), so they may give him the BA award. I don't think he will win both.

Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz are both better in Favorite than Claire Foy in First man but they are likely to cancel each other out. I have not seen Vice yet, so it is hard to compare Amy Adams with any of these likely nominees for supporting actress. I will be happy if she finally wins the Oscar.

screech

I haven't seen A Star Is Born, but I've heard/read from a lot of people that while she's better than expected, the only time they actually found Gaga truly impressive is the times when she was performing, and other than that, her acting was 'okay'.

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody and I absolutely loved it. They did take a lot of liberties with the story (though not knowing all of Queen's history, I hadn't known just how much was adapted), but IMO it was still absolutely brilliant. And Rami Malek was superb, as were the rest of the guys in the band (I still can't get over how much Gwilym Lee looked like Brian May). Though many liberties were taken, they were extremely meticulous about so many things - this side-by-side of Queen's performance at Live Aid and the performance from the movie is great.
As for Bradley Cooper, he'll always be Will Tippin from Alias to me, but I find him very 'smarmy' and he's campaigning extremely hard by not campaigning (if that makes sense). He very very clearly wants the Oscar, but he's trying to appear humble by not being in peoples faces about how much he wants it, though everyone knows how badly he does. It's an interesting tactic...

And as for Amy Adams, she's already at DiCaprio levels. She's been nominated 5 times already (it will be 6 if nominated this year), all for acting. DiCaprio was nominated 6 times, though 'only' 5 were for acting (one was for producing Wolf of Wall Street).

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I haven't seen A Star Is Born, but I've heard/read from a lot of people that while she's better than expected, the only time they actually found Gaga truly impressive is the times when she was performing, and other than that, her acting was 'okay'.

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody and I absolutely loved it. They did take a lot of liberties with the story (though not knowing all of Queen's history, I hadn't known just how much was adapted), but IMO it was still absolutely brilliant. And Rami Malek was superb, as were the rest of the guys in the band (I still can't get over how much Gwilym Lee looked like Brian May). Though many liberties were taken, they were extremely meticulous about so many things - this side-by-side of Queen's performance at Live Aid and the performance from the movie is great.
As for Bradley Cooper, he'll always be Will Tippin from Alias to me, but I find him very 'smarmy' and he's campaigning extremely hard by not campaigning (if that makes sense). He very very clearly wants the Oscar, but he's trying to appear humble by not being in peoples faces about how much he wants it, though everyone knows how badly he does. It's an interesting tactic...

And as for Amy Adams, she's already at DiCaprio levels. She's been nominated 5 times already (it will be 6 if nominated this year), all for acting. DiCaprio was nominated 6 times, though 'only' 5 were for acting (one was for producing Wolf of Wall Street).
I've heard that about Lady Gaga's performance from a few other people as well.

I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody because it hasn't made it up here yet. I'm still not decided if I actually will because while I love Queen, I don't like it when biopics play fast and loose with the history and that might be a deal-breaker for me. We'll see when I actually have the option to watch it.

When I was taking about Amy Adams being at DiCaprio's level I was referring to the fact that every time DiCaprio was nominated I couldn't go online without seeing memes referencing how much Dicaprio wanted to win an Oscar and his face every time he lost. I've seen a few posts online talking about how insane it is that she hasn't won but I haven't seen the full on meme level that DiCaprio has, and it was everywhere on Tumblr before he finally won, I could see that kicking off if Amy Adams were to lose again this time.

annie720

Bradley Cooper is actually very good in 'Star' and I won't be upset if he wins best actor, although I believe Viggo deserves it more. I didn't like the movie 'Star is...' born that much but many others feel that it is very good. I don't mind that. I will be upset if First man gets a best picture and/or best actor nomination. What really upsets me is that critics slammed Bohemian Rhapsody for deviating from the correct dates, but they did not mind First Man throwing away something very important (omitting the US flag and the historical significance of moon walk) to create something mushy at the end.

Completely agree. I liked Cooper and Gaga's performances much more than I liked the movie. I found it so-so. I will be unhappy if First Man gets anything. Hubby and I both came out of it depressed because it could have been so much more.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I loved Arrival. One of my favorite movies. I thought Amy Adams was amazing in it and should've been nominated. She's overdue.

But Glen Close is even more overdue. I would love it if she finally won.

Glenn, and yes, indeed.

screech

I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody because it hasn't made it up here yet. I'm still not decided if I actually will because while I love Queen, I don't like it when biopics play fast and loose with the history and that might be a deal-breaker for me. We'll see when I actually have the option to watch it.
I get that. When I saw Bohemian Rhapsody, one of the previews was for the Elton John biopic Rocket Man, and I liked that one of the taglines was something like 'inspired by a true fantasy' which doesn't seem to claim to be 100% factual.

Regarding A Star Is Born... did we really need a third remake of the movie? Is it really THAT much better than any of the previous versions?

annie720

Regarding A Star Is Born... did we really need a third remake of the movie? Is it really THAT much better than any of the previous versions?

I would say it's not any better than the two that I've seen (the middle two) but the appeal is different for different generations.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
And Rami Malek was superb, as were the rest of the guys in the band (I still can't get over how much Gwilym Lee looked like Brian May). Though many liberties were taken, they were extremely meticulous about so many things - this side-by-side of Queen's performance at Live Aid and the performance from the movie is great.

The Gwilym/Brian comparisons are freakin' spooky. I laughed a lot when Joe Mazello's first reaction to seeing pics of John Deacon was to ring his mother and ask if she'd been in London 9 months before his birth :lol: as the comparison is pretty good there too. Trying to find a guy to emulate Roger Taylor's elfin features and soft voice was a hard ask but I think Ben Hardy did a great job. And of course Rami was spectacular. I'm glad to see they've been nominated for a best cast, because they really did genuinely make you believe they were the band.

And then the rest of the time I'm just like "give Rami an Oscar you cowards"

I think you really have to leave your brain at the door a little bit and go in thinking it's "a" Queen story rather than "the" Queen story. The way the music is woven in is masterful and for all the drama it really does capture the feeling of the four misfits who became brothers and legends.

Debbie S

Though many liberties were taken, they were extremely meticulous about so many things - this side-by-side of Queen's performance at Live Aid and the performance from the movie is great.
Thank you for posting that. I don't remember Queen at Live Aid, or much about Live Aid (I was 13, watched bits of it on TV), but that comparison is wow. Rami's portrayal of Freddie Mercury reminded me of Meryl Streep's (Oscar-winning) portrayal of Margaret Thatcher - not just acting, but becoming the character. I hope Rami wins some awards!

manhn

If people are gonna ask the point of another remake, then I don't see how they can celebrate another movie for recreating a concert. Why not just watch the actual concert?

screech

If people are gonna ask the point of another remake, then I don't see how they can celebrate another movie for recreating a concert. Why not just watch the actual concert?

Due to liberties taken, the band split up for a while so Freddie could do solo work, and he dove hard into the drugs and sex side of things. Freddie 'gets his act together' when he finds out his 'handler' hadn't shared Live Aid details, and he basically begs the band to get back together to do the show. Also, in the lead-up to the show, for which they only had a few days to prepare, Freddie begins showing serious signs of illness and learns that he has AIDS, and is in really rough shape. He shares his diagnosis with the band basically right before the show. So for the movie the purpose of including a large chunk of Live Aid is to show the band coming back together, and Freddie's triumph when dealing with the illness.

So basically, it's for dramatic purposes (and really makes sense to include, if you've seen the movie). Also, the whole spoiler tag thing is the reason why Brian keeps looking at Freddie with such a look of wonder and amazement. Also, to be able to give the real Roger and Brian a chance to have a cameo (briefly glimpsed as the two guys in the scaffolding).

What amazes me the most (other than the INSANE attention to detail) is that the Live Aid scene was the very first thing to be filmed, and for which the cast actually sang and played live (the performance of which was then mixed with work from the recording studio as well as the work from Queen). Insane that THAT was what non-musicians had to do first. And in front of a large audience, Brian, Roger, and Bob Geldolf, who was also present to help ensure the accuracy.

UGG

Lady Gaga is great in A Star is Born. She is one of the biggest pop stars in the world and the entire time watching the movie, I never felt like I was watching Lady Gaga in a movie (unlike Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears in their movies). She was very believable as Ally, her character. I thought she was very natural on screen, especially for never having been in a movie before. The scene where they sing Shallow is one of the most amazing movie scenes I have ever watched, I totally got goosebumps, all of the singing is live. I hope she wins!

VGThuy

Boston Critics made their choices:

https://bostonfilmcritics.org/current-winners/

Best Picture – If Beale Street Could Talk
Best Actor – John C. Reilly for Stan & Ollie
Best Actress – Melissa McCarthy for Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Best Supporting Actor – Richard E. Grant for Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Best Supporting Actress – Regina King for If Beale Street Could Talk
Best Director – Lynne Ramsay for You Were Never Really Here
Best Screenplay – Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty for Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Best Cinematography – Alfonso Cuarón for Roma
Best Documentary – Won’t You Be My Neighbor?
Best Foreign-Language Film (awarded in memory of Jay Carr) – Shoplifters
Best Animated Film – Isle of Dogs
Best Film Editing (awarded in memory of Karen Schmeer) – Tom Cross for First Man
Best New Filmmaker (awarded in memory of David Brudnoy) – Bo Burnham for Eighth Grade
Best Ensemble Cast – Shoplifters
Best Original Score – Nicholas Britell for If Beale Street Could Talk

From looking at various critics' choices, it seems four movies that will be in contention for Best Foreign Film, which are South Korea's Burning, Mexico's Roma, Japan's Shoplifters, and Poland's Cold War. I'm assuming they're eligible and their country's submission. Some times there are surprises, but the Foreign Film nominating committee seems to go the way of critics, at least moreso than the other categories.

VGThuy

Indiewire's year-end list is up. They surveyed 232 critics from 32 countries and here are the results:

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/12/b...roma-first-reformed-the-favourite-1202027901/

The second page is where the awards are named and the third page gives you a list of all the people who participated in voting. They give you percentages and who came in second, third, fourth, fifth, etc. For those of you who don't like that Bohemian Rhapsody didn't make the cut, Rami Malek came in 4th with 6.05%. He placed higher than Viggo Mortensen who actually received 6.51% because although Mortensen received more first place votes, Malek received more votes overall being ranked 2nd-5th.

Here's the list with only the winners listed:

Best Film: Roma
Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron, Roma
Best Actor: Ethan Hawke, First Reformed
Best Actress: Olivia Colman, The Favourite
Best Supporting Actor: Steven Yeun, Burning
Best Supporting Actress: Rachel Weisz, The Favourite
Best Screenplay: Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara, The Favourite
Best Cinematography: Alfonso Cuaron, Roma
Best Foreign Language Film: Roma
Best First Film: Sorry To Bother You
Best Documentary: Minding the Gap

screech

Here's the list with only the winners listed:
Have to mention... third place for supporting actor: HUGH GRANT FOR PADDINGTON 2!!! I will laugh with glee if Paddington 2 is what gets him his first Oscar nomination (I can't get over how much I loved him in that role.)

Surprised at the lack of Star is Born. Also, some of the percentages are extremely close, like Rachel Weisz and Regina King being neck and neck for supporting actress, and "The Favourite" and "First Reformed" for best screenplay.

Also, it seems the Academy has been rethinking its stance on movies from streaming sites. Roma is a clear frontrunner (though to be fair, it has had a small theatrical release), and Dumplin' is getting some recognition too (it's shortlisted for best original song). Speaking of, the shortlists for 9 Oscars categories.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information