Madison Chock & Evan Bates Hopes, Fears & Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

Sylvia

TBD
"(5/25/18) – Madison Chock and Evan Bates announced today they will begin training with Marie-France Dubreuil, Patrice Lauzon and Romain Haguenauer this summer in Montreal, Canada." Link to USFS' press release: http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=91522&type=media

Madi and Evan were the keynote speakers at USFS' Athlete Acceleration Summit (formerly known as the Program Components Camp) earlier this month: https://www.instagram.com/p/BishMMMhK7Q/?taken-by=chockolate02

They also spoke at USFS' Athletes Advisory Committee annual fundraiser dinner at Governing Council in early May (eta that I found a photo of them :)): https://www.instagram.com/p/BiawpYSlN0B/?taken-by=skatingcluboforegon

Last edited:

nimi

From the US dance thread:
The whole thing is well worth a read but here's a couple of excerpts about her ankle and their competitive future:
“It forces us to take more time off which I think in the long run will be better because we’ll feel more refreshed,” Chock said. “When I come back, I know I will feel so much stronger. That’s what I’m really looking forward to.”
“We’re really excited to start a new chapter in Montreal,” Chock said. “I’m looking forward to getting back on the ice this summer once I’m fully recovered from my ankle surgery.”

While nothing in sport is certain, Chock and Bates believe that this is not the end of the road for them.

“I really feel we have more to give to the fans and to the sport,” Bates said. “I think in our hearts we would really love to compete in Beijing. It’s a long way away and it’s an unpredictable world and we can never know what the future holds for ourselves, but I don’t think we are finished with skating.”

Sylvia

TBD
USFS' press release earlier today: http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=91927&type=media
(11/8/18) – Madison Chock and Evan Bates have withdrawn from Rostelecom Cup, scheduled for Nov. 16-18 in Moscow, U.S. Figure Skating announced today.
The 2018 U.S. bronze medalists were originally scheduled to compete at the Helsinki Grand Prix of Figure Skating and Rostelecom Cup. Chock, a two-time Olympian and World medalist, is still recovering from surgery on her ankle.
The ice dance duo still looks to compete at the 2019 GEICO U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Detroit this January.
Madi Chock's message to their fans: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp8AEpdHVoK/
I’m sorry to announce that Evan and I have withdrawn from the Rostelecom Cup Grand Prix next week. We always love skating in Russia and have wonderful memories from our trips there. We were looking forward to competing on the Grand Prix circuit this season, but I am still on the mend from my surgery and no steps on the road to recovery can be skipped. It has been a year of big change for us and we are training hard to come back stronger than ever. Thank you everyone for all your support and I am looking forward to getting back on competitive ice as soon as possible! 💪🏼
They are very experienced and smart competitors and I am sure they will take all the time they need until they feel ready to compete again - best wishes to them both!

Sylvia

TBD
Here's some positive news :):
Olympic figure skaters Evan Bates (Northville) and Madison Chock (Novi) will make their season debut at the U.S. championships at Little Caesars Arena on Jan. 25, 2019.
In an interview with Detroit News reporter Gregg Krupa, Chock and Bates talk about the injury and their comeback from the fall, about dealing with their new program and coach in Montreal and separating their personal and professional lives.
13-min. video interview: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...ionships-evan-bates-madison-chock/2163676002/

Sylvia

TBD
It's not that big a deal to wait just a few more days until they compete, is it? There will be a live stream after all, as I posted above.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

US Nationals in Senior Dance is going to be a bloodbath. There are six teams vying for three world championship spots in Saitama, as well as three booby prize spots in Anaheim.

Debbie S

US Nationals in Senior Dance is going to be a bloodbath. There are six teams vying for three world championship spots in Saitama, as well as three booby prize spots in Anaheim.
I assume the top 3 teams will go to both Worlds and 4CC. The top dance teams usually don't decline 4CC anyway in non-Oly years and esp this year with 4CC in the U.S., we'll likely see the big names there.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I assume the top 3 teams will go to both Worlds and 4CC. The top dance teams usually don't decline 4CC anyway in non-Oly years and esp this year with 4CC in the U.S., we'll likely see the big names there.

That should be good news for Chock & Bates if they place within the top three in Detroit. It would give them some more competition experience leading into Japan.

So far this season, a lot of the top international teams have been averaging around 77 points for the RD and 120 points for the FD. Especially with their coaching change, I'll be interested to see how they do in Poland this week, too.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Can they make the worlds team?

The exciting thing is that nobody knows since they haven't competed this season. The other teams are building themselves up internationally this season. However, I don't see why Chock/Bates can't be in the mix (or even challenge for the title) if they are close to the shape they were in last season (hopefully better as Madison was having real ankle pain). The only thing that makes people unsure is that we know how important it is to have mileage out of your program all season to work out kinks and make the program and elements better. But P/C debuted at Euros one season and dominated Euros and Worlds so who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information