Madison Chock & Evan Bates Hopes, Fears & Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
That was heartbreaking. I hope they can put it behind them and return to competition (at Worlds?) stronger than ever instead of dwelling on what happened, how they could have prevented it, who's to blame, etc. It was a freak accident that hopefully won't poison their enjoyment of this great FD or their work together.

Sylvia

TBD
Madison's injury explains a lot. My heart dropped when I saw her grimace and reach for her leg after their skate, I thought she injured herself during the botched lift during warm up. Amazingly tough to skate an entire season with this.
Jeff Seidel's article about her injury: https://www.freep.com/story/sports/2018/02/19/jeff-seidel-injury-madison-chock-olympics/350390002/

Seidel's article on Chock/Bates (and Hubbell/Donohue): Tiny slips lead to agony for two Michigan teams
Instead of fighting for a bronze medal, they finished ninth.
While talking to the media, Chock could barely speak.
“Just take your time,” Bates said.
She looked like she had been jolted with electricity.
“Ah, it’s just so fresh,” she said. “I’m proud of how we recovered. I still can’t believe it happened.”
She started to laugh and sniffle at the same time. “Oh my god,” she said, as if reliving it, “I can’t believe we are on the ice where our skates are supposed to be.”
She took a couple of deep breathes. ”I’ve been injured all season and we have managed it,” she said, sniffling. “It just sucked that this happened, and it’s the Olympic Games. It’s O.K. Life will go on. We’ll go on. And we’ll be O.K.”
“I wish I could have a moment back,” Bates said. “But that’s part of sport. That is part of life. We have to come back. This is part of our story now.”
“I felt like we owed it to ourselves and our team, our coaches and the musicians, all the people who have put their heart and soul into us,” Chock said. “We owe it to them to keep going. To show that we are strong athletes and not just going to give up.”
:respec:

Last edited:

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I saw the strap on her ankle before the event and was wondering. They were a bit struggling this season and started late. Now we know why. Very tough of her to soldier on like this. Hope she can recover fully for whatever plan they have.

EYGH

kudos to Evan and Madi and very sorry for their fall.
I really like both their short and free dances this season. I love their costumes. Madi sd dress is gorgeous. They and W/P are very handsome and elegant couples I think. Hope they can have a great worlds competition.

Rafter

Is her injury the kind that needs surgery?

I felt sick for them with that fall in the FD. It was so shocking and looked so painful. It’ll be interesting to see if they go to worlds. Best of luck to her in her recovery.

Last edited:

lily

I hope not. They are doing a good job constantly seeking outside help with choreography, they could go further. They are still young for Ice Dance, it's fine. It just happened at a bad time :/
That's true but even with that (seeking and finding outside help with choreography) they are fallen to America's third pair.Of course post-Olympic situation is full of changes but still, I'm wondering can they progress with Shpilband.

chameleonster

I'd suspected for a long time, but the injury clearly hampered their season, which is not anyone's fault except sheer bad luck. Because of that they couldn't compete earlier to get feedback or boost their world standing, they looked shakier in their GPs than Shibs or H/D, and they were playing catchup all season. Its possible that a coaching change would make a difference in the perception of their skating, but their actual skating and choreography has been progressing well.

It seems that she might need surgery, which worries me a little. I don't want them to rush a come back, and she needs to get that taken care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information