Jonesing for GP 2018-19

Sylvia

TBD
Not a surprise to us, but this is the first time I've seen a published article that states that Rippon "is definitely sitting out the fall Grand Prix figure skating season."

Question, will Osmond and Daleman be at Skate Canada? I would think SC would want to split them up, but Daleman is the reigning national champ.
At least this is not an issue anymore...

Mad for Skating

mysticchic

I don't know if you are quoting someone, or using the word yourself. Just want to point out that is a racist term.
I was quoting someone and another poster. I know it's racist. The person who was the OP must have deleted her post

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
With the news that Weaver/Poje are not competing at GP, but plan to come back for Canadian Nationals, the groups are now*:

Guaranteed two from Worlds:

Selection Group 1:
1-Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON (FRA)​
2-Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE (USA)​
3-Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE (CAN) sitting out GP​
4-Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE (ITA)​

Selection Group 2:
5-Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES (USA)​
6-Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER (CAN)​
7-Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN (RUS)​

Selection Group 3:
8-Tiffani ZAGORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO (RUS)​
9-Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI (ITA)​
10-Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER (USA)​
11-Kana MURAMOTO / Chris REED (JPN)​

Next in line: Smart/Diaz (12), Lauriault/Le Gac (13).

*Unless C/L, for example, decide to call it a day or skip GP. I can't imagine anyone else skipping GP if they're healthy.

mysticchic

I've been told ISU is not moving up skaters to vacant openings. Not sure how that will work. But 1 or 2 lucky 4-6 will not face the top 2 seeds. The rounds will be the same. The top 2 H&D and P&C will get 1st choice of the GP they want and then it goes from there. I am guessing P&C do France and Japan and H&D will do SA and China/SK. Piper and Paul will do SC. since C&B aren't training yet, they will take 2 later ones if they skate.

Dobre

I am guessing P&C do France and Japan.

I tend to agree, but out of curiosity, is there a reason you don't think Papadakis & Cizeron would go to Skate Canada? It would be a chance to win it & cut down on travel (they tend to have to travel for everything). Japan is more lucrative, and they've never won NHK either. But their odds are better of getting invited back to NHK in the near future while SC is often a closed door, with the possibility of various host picks among the top groups.

Politically, I can think of a several reasons P&C might not go to SC, but I'd go for it.

Last edited:

mysticchic

I tend to agree, but out of curiosity, is there a reason you don't think Papadakis & Cizeron would go to Skate Canada? It would be a chance to win it & cut down on travel (they tend to have to travel for everything). Japan is more lucrative, and they've never won NHK either. But their odds are better of getting invited back to NHK in the near future while SC is often is a closed door, with the possibility of various host picks among the top groups.

Politically, I can think of a several reasons P&C might not go to SC, but I'd go for it.
I'm just guessing and also P&C just got off tour so I would guess they would want a later one. I don't see them doing SK/China since it would be back to back. That is why I picked Japan for them. Japan likes to get the top skaters.
For H&D I picked SA because they almost always have the US champs and China/SK because H&D would have done a Sr B and SA early.
I think G&P will get SC and either France or Russia. If Anna and Luca come back, I could see them at the one G&P isn't at. Bukin will take the Russia spot, along with B&S. I don't think H&B will be at SA. I'm thinking SC and SK or Russia and Japan. These are all guesses.
My guess at this point for the final will be P&C, H&D, C&B, Bukin, and then it will come down to G&P, C&P or B&S. If B&S and C&P sit out, there will be a 6th spot open. Z&G or H&B could sneak in.

Dobre

My guess at this point for the final will be P&C, H&D, C&B, Bukin, and then it will come down to G&P, C&P or B&S. If B&S and C&P sit out, there will be a 6th spot open. Z&G or H&B could sneak in.

No faith in Sinitsina & Katsalapov? I have none myself, but they often outscore Gilles & Poirier, Zagorsky & Guerreiro, and Hawayek & Baker. By C&P, I'm assuming you mean C&L.

A lot of teams could be possible to sneak in if they take this opportunity and use it like a lightning rod to shoot up the standings, as Papadakis & Cizeron, the Shibs, and Ilinykh & Katsalapov did directly after Olympic seasons.

mysticchic

No faith in Sinitsina & Katsalapov? I have none myself, but they often outscore Gilles & Poirier, Zagorsky & Guerreiro, and Hawayek & Baker. By C&P, I'm assuming you mean C&L.

A lot of teams could be possible to sneak in if they take this opportunity and use it like a lightning rod to shoot up the standings, as Papadakis & Cizeron, the Shibs, and Ilinykh & Katsalapov did directly after Olympic seasons.
Yes, sorry I meant CL. With Viknik you never know what you will get. I think Bukin is the next team out of Russia. They were getting good marks last year.

Mad for Skating

I don't know if you are quoting someone, or using the word yourself. Just want to point out that is a racist term.
I was quoting someone and another poster. I know it's racist. The person who was the OP must have deleted her post

Sorry, that was me. Until it was called to my attention, I didn't know it was considered a slur against the Roma. Now that I know, I have stopped using it. I meant no offense to anyone, Roma or otherwise.
From now on, I will use "robbed".

barbarafan

Sorry, that was me. Until it was called to my attention, I didn't know it was considered a slur against the Roma. Now that I know, I have stopped using it. I meant no offense to anyone, Roma or otherwise.
From now on, I will use "robbed".

OMG...I had no idea that was where the term comes from...Used commonly in Canada & no one (except maybe some older Europeans) have any idea it refers to the Roma... I have little to no imagination and use many expressions knowing the intent but having no idea why or its origins usually....

Mad for Skating

OMG...I had no idea that was where the term comes from...Used commonly in Canada & no one (except maybe some older Europeans) have any idea it refers to the Roma... I have little to no imagination and use many expressions knowing the intent but having no idea why or its origins usually....

I don't think many people know the origin. In the USA (or at least in my area) it's thrown around pretty casually as a non-insulting synonym of "robbed". However if it's now considered a slur, I'll have to remember that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information