GP 2016-17 Pre-Announcement Thread

Moustaffask8r

Thank you, kwanfan, for all your hard work!

So if Virtue & Moir are only planning to do one GP, does that mean Skate Canada? I would assume no, except then why not do two GPs? Is Canada really going to start off the season by pitting Weaver & Poje against Virtue & Moir? Doing so with Patrick & Nam this season made sense, as Nam really wasn't established yet; but in dance . . . political conundrum. And since W&P are not top three, that would mean someone else--Chock & Bates?--from the current top three is going to be there.
:watch:

So Monko & Khaliavin really did go from eighth place in the World to dropping clear off the GP lists. Another moral of the story; send your dance teams out early on the Challenger Series. You never know when a mid-season injury or virus could take you clear out of the picture. (Paul & Islam are off the lists as well. And Yanovskaya & Mosgov).

I know my math with dates is poor; but Lauriault & Le Gac are no longer junior eligible this coming season, are they? She was born in '96.

Sylvia

TBD
...Lauriault & Le Gac are no longer junior eligible this coming season, are they?
@Dobre is correct. She is 19 and he will turn 21 next month, also aging out: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00015087.htm

I see that @kwanfan1818 already acknowledged the age-eligibility error re. Lauriault/Le Gac (the original post can't be edited after 24 hours), who are guaranteed 1 GP based on their ISU SB 21 ranking.

ETA:
Dance:
Top 24 SB, guaranteed one, weren't also Top 10 at Worlds:
  • Lauriault/Le Gac, SB 21 -- junior-eligible
  • Popova/Vlasenko, SB 23 -- he turned 21 in 2015.
As reported in the "From Russia with Love" news thread, Betina Popova, 19, has split from Yuri Vlasenko and teamed with Sergey Mozgov, 21 (6th in both his GPs with Anna Yanovskaya last year).

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
^^^ Nope. Tweeted by David Molina on May 4: https://twitter.com/_David_Molina/status/727810946194931713

"The ISU Sr Grand Prix assignments of #figureskating 2016/17 will be decided at GP selection meeting on June 29th & 30th in NYC"

Really??? Thats late..... Last year wasnt it the first week of June.. HOW DO I COPE UNTIL THEN????? lol...

Although it gives them more time to weed out a bit more the people who really will not be competing.

BUT GP ANNOUNCEMENT DAY is like Christmas for me...... who wants to wait until the end of January to open up presents?? lol

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

SIDE NOTE, ADDED LATER. Im sure this has been posted by @Sylvia somewhere but this tweet of his shows the dates and locations for most major ISU events. Interesting to see CoC pushed back next year and that Rostelecom will come after Skate Canada this time.

https://mobile.twitter.com/_David_Molina/status/727438194598395904/photo/1

When I was a kid Worlds would never have dates of April (like this year). I like the days when Worlds was more like Feb/ March. The 1961 team was traveling to Worlds on FEB 15TH!!!!

I always think its odd when Japan and most Euro countries and Russia have their Nats in the end of December the year before Worlds.. SO MUCH can happen in those 3 and a half months...

Euros are in CZE? I wonder if Brezina can kick it into gear next year and medal there.... Is the junior pairs team going to move up to seniors?

Last edited:

oubik

Really??? Thats late..... Last year wasnt it the first week of June.. HOW DO I COPE UNTIL THEN????? lol...

Euros are in CZE? I wonder if Brezina can kick it into gear next year and medal there.... Is the junior pairs team going to move up to seniors?

The later stage for GP is because of the "election" Congress this year.

Brezina medailling at home EC - if only.
Junior Pairs team Duskova/Bidar is going to skate there if healthy.

VGThuy

I also think it's weird they don't count both 4CC/Euros and Worlds. Just one or the other.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
HOW DO I COPE UNTIL THEN????? lol...

Study Pasha's 15 year old nude portfolio, naturally.

I also think it's weird they don't count both 4CC/Euros and Worlds. Just one or the other.

The ISU rankings are really, really basic. Tennis and golf have much thorough ranking systems, although those sports have a much larger competition calendar to draw upon.

At the minimum, it wouldn't be hard to come up with a strength of field factor for each competition, some senior B fields are stacked and almost GP calibre and some are extremely weak, yet they all are worth the same world ranking points.

And to your point, with a limited competition calendar, it makes it even more preposterous that 4CC, Euros, or Worlds results are ignored for a majority of skaters.

Am I still on topic?

SamuraiK

I can understand people like Liza staying high thanks to a stellar previous season and rightly so (even though that season now only weights 70% ) but I agree 4CC/Euros and Worlds should count separately. Right now the standings seem too heavy on the grand prix and seniors B's while the most important competitions are all grouped together.

Last edited:

euterpe

Will someone please tell me why OGANESIAN / BARDEI are still on the ICE DANCE World Standings with their points from PAIRS?

They were on there all last season, but I thought they would be scrubbed with the updates.

robinhood

So basically these rankings are so bogus and meaningless that they even put pair teams in the dance rankings... I wonder if anyone is getting paid for doing this "job"

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!

Especially considering they count 2 GPs. It underscored how important it is to get GP assignments for your ranking.

Hmm, maybe this is engineered by ISU so people don't skip GPs?

The ISU rankings are really, really basic. Tennis and golf have much thorough ranking systems, although those sports have a much larger competition calendar to draw upon.

At the minimum, it wouldn't be hard to come up with a strength of field factor for each competition, some senior B fields are stacked and almost GP calibre and some are extremely weak, yet they all are worth the same world ranking points.

And to your point, with a limited competition calendar, it makes it even more preposterous that 4CC, Euros, or Worlds results are ignored for a majority of skaters.

Am I still on topic?

I think the points are different at least - you get more points for winning worlds than Euros, and much less for a senior B/Challenger.

Not that it makes much sense, I agree with you.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Especially considering they count 2 GPs. It underscored how important it is to get GP assignments for your ranking.
They figure almost everyone they want will attend the three pre-Olympic Worlds and Euros, but the GP is what they try to encourage with up to three points slots/season and six over two seasons counting. All of the markwting-speak about the best-of-the-best...

Will someone please tell me why OGANESIAN / BARDEI are still on the ICE DANCE World Standings with their points from PAIRS?

They were on there all last season, but I thought they would be scrubbed with the updates.
It is likely they didn't waste time and resources programming for the very fringe case that a team would switch intact from one discipline to the other.

In other news, it appears that V/T will skip GP, which would free up two more Pairs slots:
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...spring-summer-2016.98343/page-23#post-4791713

Seerek

Am I still on topic?

Having the World standing based on 3 seasons worth of results is quite unusual.
To my knowledge, almost all other sports that have ranking systems utilize either 52-week (tennis) or 104-week (golf) schedules.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Plus it's the highest two of three seasons for championships and JGPF/GPF and the highest four of six for JGP/GP and senior internationals.

I assume it"s because the number of competitions, aside from senior internationals is comparably limited. There"s also nothing like a World Cup circuit like in skiing and ski-jumping.

They never did much with World Ranking (current season's points) after they stopped paying a big bonus at year-end for the "podium."

Sylvia

TBD
Data entry errors happen sometimes. They were removed from the ice dance standings on 5/14/16.

Question for @kwanfan1818 that was posted in the pairs discussion thread re. Yu/Zhang and Peng/Jin:
Will the two new Chinese teams get two automatic grand prix this year?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Not exactly. To be technical about it, Split Couples have been left out of the GP Announcement wrt selection since the first season when Split Couples (and comeback skaters) were defined and placed at the top of the alternates list. The second year, when they were moved to initial selection, they were left out of the selection part of the Announcement, IIRC; if not, they've been left out of the last three.

In any case, by practice, any of the split couples where at least one partner placed in the Top Six at Worlds in at least the last two Worlds -- ie, both Peng and Zhang from 2015 Worlds -- have been assigned two. It may be like comeback skaters/couples, where they have to sign that they will commit to two and will be given extra special consideration, blah, blah, for two, and not guaranteed two, but they've gotten two.

However, I wouldn't put it past the Chinese Fed to put it out to the other hosts that Peng/Jin should only get one, but I'm not bitter or anything.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Cross-referencing from Skate America thread...

USFSA.ORG has updates its site to reflect TEAMS A B C D and reserve for the 16-17 season (even tho it still says 15-16)

http://usfsa.org/story?id=84023

Also the ad for Skate America features all USA Nats medalists (not Ash). So I am assuming they will be going to bat for Gracie, Adam, K&O and the Shibs for its spots.

Last edited:

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Cross-referencing from Skate America thread...

USFSA.ORG has updates its site to reflect TEAMS A B C D and reserve for the 16-17 season (even tho it still says 15-16)

http://usfsa.org/story?id=84023

Also the ad for Skate America features all USA Nats medalists (not Ash). So I am assuming they will be going to bat for Gracie, Adam, K&O and the Shibs for its spots.

I will have a breakdown it if Ashley isn't there! I may even resort to start a very strongly worded letter writing campaign to the USFSA.

-bb

euterpe

As #2 seed, if Ashley wants SC she will get it unless Medvedeva chooses it first. Skate Canada was Ashley's first GP in 2007; she also did SC in 2011, 2014 and 2015. From 2011 on, she has done either SA or SC as her first event.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
After host picks are made, subsequent selections depend on the random draw order for Ladies among the countries, which is done for each discipline. Which of the top three Canada chooses depends on who is left when it's Canada's turn to draw. Higher hosts on the draw can defer to skaters' and other Feds' preferences, or skip a skater who would be skating back-to-back events with a huge travel between them, or choose a skater who they think would be less competitive with their own skaters. Skate Canada might only be able to select Pogorilaya, who won in Kelowna in 2014, when it's their turn to draw.

It will be interesting to see what Skate Canada does with its host picks. Osmond didn't make Worlds, but is SB 24 (and WS 40). National Champion Chartrand is WS 24 (and SB 34). Each is guaranteed one. Daleman is Worlds 9, guaranteed two (and SB 11, WS 12).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information