From Russia With Love (No 32): Spring to Summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Golden Skate article by Tatjana Flade: Maria Sotskova: ‘I can’t give up. This is what I love’
Excerpt:
“I think if I had retired in that period when everything was bad, then it is like giving in to a weakness, because the circumstances are stronger than you and I don’t want that,” she pointed out. “I want to compete; I like to go out on to the ice at competitions and feel the energy of the audience.”
Nevertheless, Sotskova is thinking of her future and took up studies at the famous Institute of Theatrical Arts and just finished her first year of studies. The term exams started when she had to go with her group to a training camp in Italy at the end of May. She was able to pass two exams before leaving and will have to complete the rest in September.
Sotskova, who is the only athlete in her class (along with ballet dancers from various companies), feels lucky that her school is very supportive. “I’m endlessly grateful to these people that are around me, if in school or at the Institute, they always helped me, supported me,” the athlete said. “I wouldn’t be able to study if they put obstacles in my path in the Institute. It is already hard to study there and if they didn’t help me, it would be impossible. They are all very friendly and try to help. One classmate always sends me lessons. Everything that I ask for and what I miss, they help me [to catch up].”
:respec:

Last edited:

Japanfan

I'm not traditionally a big fan of the American/Canadian style of choreography, but generally I just try to avoid posting about the NA teams and skaters rather than constantly knocking them down.

I didn't know there was just one distinctive North American choreographic style and one distinctive Russian choreographic style?

Could you please explain what they are?

I get the Russian flair for the dramatic, but think it would be a huge over-simplification to reduce the Russian style to that.

barbarafan

If you can dish it.....as they say.:blah:

But just to be utterly shallow has Elena Ilinykh always been that gorgeous?

And wow, currently competing ice dance girls are really rather petite or small and thin. Colour me a little shooked :gallopin1:GnP1:
Since V/M started competed internationally they always had new lifts and they were very athletic ones. The trend became more and more athletic lifts where girls are whipped around fast and furious and balancing on the man so they are obviously easier to do with a bag of puffwheat than a quarter cow. We are not in the same ballgame as pair girls but coming closer so when kids pair up body type of the female and even males (though not as much)are scrutinized for a lot more than their feet.

Mad for Skating

. . . Which is not to say that Alina CAN'T interpret. I thought she put a lot of charm and energy into Don Quixote in the previous season. But this Carmen program didn't give her much to work with.

Exactly! I think Alina herself is a very talented girl and I like her a lot, but IMO Carmen wasn't the best choice for her. Alina has always seemed like a very shy, sweet girl, and I love that about her. But Carmen is a bad girl, the kind of dangerous woman who drives men crazy because it's fun. Obviously, Alina is still a minor and it would be gross to see her doing a mature, sensual, Tessa Virtue-style Carmen program (TBH, her exhibition program in the tiger costume still made me low key uncomfortable). In general, I find it uncomfortable when teenagers skate to Carmen - there are so many other music choices you can use that are more appropriate. Alina's program was tasteful that way, which I'm glad for, but trying to do a "PG Carmen" is like trying to make sandwiches without bread. It just can't rank up to the top Carmens for me because it felt like she was too young for it. This isn't her fault - she has amazing spins, good jumps, and solid overall skills, and there's nothing I find "unpleasant" about her skating. Alina gave it her all and I'm happy that she won Worlds because she definitely deserved it, but Daniil can do better choreography than this.

But just to be utterly shallow has Elena Ilinykh always been that gorgeous?

She has, but the latest photos of her are downright stunning. What a beauty.

Perky Shae Lynn

I have a lot of respect for Sotskova. And I like her skating. Yes, it's missing something (confidence? ability to open up emotionally?) but she is lovely. I wish she'd wake up and remember she was actually Ukrainian or something. This girl belongs on the world stage.

Sylvia

TBD
Replying to @Ruby999 here:
I love her [Maria Sotskova] too! She has such an elegant, lyrical style, and really nice edges. I hope she gets a Grand Prix assignment!
As has been mentioned before, the Russian women have a maximum of 18 GP slots and 12 skaters who qualify so it will be interesting to see how many receive 2 assignments and which receive 1 or none in the initial selection round.

ISU Season Best total scores (13 in top 26):
1 238.43 Alina ZAGITOVA RUS ISU CS Nebelhorn Trophy 2018 (guaranteed 2)
2 234.43 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA RUS ISU World Team Trophy 2019
6 223.80 Evgenia MEDVEDEVA RUS ISU World Championships 2019 (guaranteed 2)
8 222.89 Alexandra TRUSOVA RUS ISU World Junior Championships 2019
9 219.94 Anna SHCHERBAKOVA RUS ISU World Junior Championships
11 217.98 Alena KOSTORNAIA RUS ISU Junior Grand Prix Final 2018/19
12 213.84 Sofia SAMODUROVA RUS ISU European Championships 2019 (guaranteed 2)
18 202.62 Serafima SAKHANOVICH RUS ISU CS Tallinn Trophy 2018
20 198.76 Anna TARUSINA RUS ISU CS Inge Solar Memorial / Alpen Trophy 2018
21 198.65 Anastasiia GUBANOVA RUS ISU CS Golden Spin of Zagreb 2018
22 198.14 Alena KANYSHEVA RUS ISU Junior Grand Prix Final 2018/19 (turns 14 this month so back to JGP)
23 197.57 Stanislava KONSTANTINOVA RUS ISU GP Helsinki 2018
———
26 194.15 Alena LEONOVA RUS ISU GP NHK Trophy 2018

ISU World Standings (7 in top 24):
1 4510 Alina ZAGITOVA
3 3384 Evgenia MEDVEDEVA
9 2514 Stanislava KONSTANTINOVA
10 2345 Sofia SAMODUROVA
13 2137 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA
18 1835 Alexandra TRUSOVA
19 1805 Maria SOTSKOVA

Dobre

I'm following the less-than-predictable development of all the mid-tier Russian dance teams (many of whom are likely fighting for the same GP spots). So as far as the Russian dancers are concerned, we've had PR interviews this summer for Popova & Mozgov, Shpilevaya & Smirnov, and Sinitsina & Katsalapov. And music/choreography updates for Evdokimova & Bazin and Zagorski & Guerreiro. And at least a few sound bites/interview quotes from Stepanova & Bukin. We've heard that Khudaberdieva & Nazarov have split.

Any off-season word on Shevchenko & Eremenko?
(I feel like maybe yes here, but I'm not remembering).

And any word on Skoptcova & Aleshin?
(I ask, in part, because S&A were maybe going to do Universiade & then didn't).

J

Jeschke

We've heard that Khudaberdieva & Nazarov have split.
Do we have any news or :sekret: with whom Khudaberdieva wants to continue?
I cannot believe she left him to stay junior without having a guy in mind?

News of Nazarov? He is too good to get lost :drama:

chameleonster

Any off-season word on Shevchenko & Eremenko?
(I feel like maybe yes here, but I'm not remembering).

https://fsrussia.ru/intervyu/4394-i...shim-tramplinom-dlya-nashikh-sportsmenov.html
Shevchenko/Eremenko are at the bottom as their coaches give updates on the whole group.

Skoptcova/Aleshin have been posting a few training updates here and there in their stories on instagram, and she posted for his birthday, so at this point I'm assuming they're still training for the new season.

Tinami Amori

She posted a video in April, practicing to "Love is a Bitch" by Two Feet, with no further comments.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwEqzrdnX2v/

and a recent practice at a local dance studio and back at the rink.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx-fwSdnFV8/
https://i4.imageban.ru/out/2019/05/29/875870277b6c9ce9d198bad81c902842.jpg

--
Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva (not official) is trying with Andrey Filatov. no link. just from russian rink chats.
(former partner A. Pletneva)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUr88VIzlWY

Bigbird

She posted a video in April, practicing to "Love is a Bitch" by Two Feet, with no further comments.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwEqzrdnX2v/

and a recent practice at a local dance studio and back at the rink.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx-fwSdnFV8/
https://i4.imageban.ru/out/2019/05/29/875870277b6c9ce9d198bad81c902842.jpg

--
Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva (not official) is trying with Andrey Filatov. no link. just from russian rink chats.
(former partner A. Pletneva)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUr88VIzlWY

While she's at it why not try out with Shibnev? What sadness. :rolleyes:

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story

They are currently working on new programs during the usual intensive Summer training program at their home rink.
During the months of June and July, the training program is very tough, 5 days intensive training : 1 day off and repeat!! Lets hope they all stay injury free during this gruelling schedule!

muffinplus

I swear..every time Yagudin opens his mouth in the Russian press he says something embarrassingly uneducated or crass/backwards..

Never liked his skating but his lack of intelligence is just :eek:

Last edited:

muffinplus

What is it this time? :lol:

Some gems from a tabloid type publication (mind you maybe that is why it sounds so dumb / juvenile? But I mean, he could pretend to say something half intelligent maybe?):

You never have a day without... : "Going to the bathroom. Too direct? At least it's honest. To go even further- every person has this problem."

Your worst nightmare: " When I didn't have time to go to the bathroom. As we just found out, I go there every day"

In the future, you woudn't want your daughters to marry: "Other women. Guess what, in 20 years, this kind of thing will definitely be happening (** newsflash it already is** :rolleyes: ) But hopefully, not in my family.

If I weigh 100 kg: "I'll shoot myself. This is probably not a popular opinion nowadays, but I don't find overweight people attractive and am convinced that you need to fight being overweight. "

On playing Romeo in ice shows: "I can't say that it's difficult to get into character. What do I find more interesting? For example I could never play Romeo. If I needed to, I would, but he is a really one-note character. The role of a lovesick character who is in love the whole performance - I would find it boring"

Oh Slutskaya also gave a loooong interview... and she comes across as extremely unlikeable and unpleasant. I won't bother translating that

mjb52

Oh, those comments by Yagudin are disappointing. And in addition to the multitude of issues with the other comments, his interpretation of Romeo is wrong!

zebraswan

In the future, you woudn't want your daughters to marry: "Other women. Guess what, in 20 years, this kind of thing will definitely be happening (** newsflash it already is** :rolleyes: ) But hopefully, not in my family.

If I weigh 100 kg: "I'll shoot myself. This is probably not a popular opinion nowadays, but I don't find overweight people attractive and am convinced that you need to fight being overweight. "

Taking a page from Sergei Polunin? But I used to like Polunin...never liked Yags. And why is he saying he would shoot himself in one breath and then say you need to fight being overweight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information