From Russia with Love [#33]: Summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiquitaBanana

. I wonder what Megan Duhamel would say about Julianne Seguin's diet and her exit from skating. Megan is a well known advocate for healthy eating; she had just started working with/consulting Julianne Seguin right before their split with Bilodeau, as I remember from Megan's interview. [QUOTE/
I wonder what Megan Duhamel would say about Julianne Seguin's diet and her exit from skating. Megan is a well known advocate for healthy eating; she had just started working with/consulting Julianne Seguin right before their split with Bilodeau, as I remember from Megan's interview.
Where are you heading with this? What would you say?Seguin had been vegan for two years, always kept her fighting weight until she got concussions three times and couldn't train as she wished because of symptoms reappearing. There is food and there are physical expenses to keep one's weight.
Skaters in Canada are usually followed by nutritionists working with evidence based science for weight management. B2ten http://b2ten.com/about-b2ten/

hanca

Values her privacy
Where are you heading with this? What would you say?Seguin had been vegan for two years, always kept her fighting weight until she got concussions three times and couldn't train as she wished because of symptoms reappearing. There is food and there are physical expenses to keep one's weight.
Skaters in Canada are usually followed by nutritionists working with evidence based science for weight management. B2ten http://b2ten.com/about-b2ten/
It seems that sometimes even being followed by nutritionists does not help to keep the weight healthy. Surely this is not healthy!

RoseRed

I see, so this is art. Hmmm....
Gabby's issues with body image have been discussed fairly often, including on this and other forums. She photoshops stuff fairly extremely. She's acknowledged it herself, in the context of saying she has going to stop photoshopping and be more real (didn't last though). But yeah, that's not what she actually looks like.

pointbleu

It seems that sometimes even being followed by nutritionists does not help to keep the weight healthy. Surely this is not healthy!
True... Eating disorders happen, for many reasons. But at least this is not her coach putting her on a powder diet.
My point is true professional counseling are available to athletes to maintain their weight. What I don’t like to read is coaches throwing any kind of advices .

Japanfan

Both of you presented extremes from coaches, and those do happen, but not all coachs' demands, which cause conflicts with pupils, are extremes, just saying. I don't think it is right to look at each and every situation between coach and athlete with automatic bias "student is a victim and coach is an offender".

I agree with you.

EV: After i won my first Russian championship with a most difficult jump content, i spent summer with grandmother, gained 5 kg (10 lbs), and my coach said to my parents - if she does not lose them by the end of the month, we are finished.

Such approach (from the coach about extra weight) is not a punishment.
It's to avoid further pointless work. (such work with an overweight athlete would be) Absolutely pointless. Waist of time. It is too bad that this talented girl does not understand it.

EV: I remember clearly and exactly, about my condition - 1-2kg extra weight - is prohibitive. For real. Feeling uncomfortable - is one thing, increased risk of injury is another.

We don't know how much time was left before 'the end of the month'.

But 10 pounds is a lot for a tiny female to lose in just one month.

Bigbird

It's an easy bridge to fall over given the insensitive remarks made by almost everyone she's likely to meet, the ridiculous comparisons and our virtual comments. It's very sad though. She'll make me think twice about careless weight comments, they sting.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Konkina/Drozd

No, this Elena Sokolova lives and works in St Petersburg. She is pretty much the only ice dance coach there.
If you remember a team with broken lace and cool FD from Nats (Bibikhina/Zvorykin) - they are her team. She always tries to invite retired skaters and choreographers for master classes and tries to do at least something to develop ice dance in St Petersburg.

This is disappointing. The thought of no-edges Cupcake coaching ice dance is all sorts of :rofl:.

_Lola_

I just assumed that her 'fighting weight' was not anymore compatible with elite skating. I made this conclusion when read this interview, in which she speaks about shape, weight, injuries, split: https://chocktaw-salchow.tumblr.com/post/181061220568/translation-julianne-séguin-the-split

Injuries, such as concussions, can be result of improper shape too. That's why coaches can measure weight of their students: to avoid injuries. At least, Stanislava's coach do that as I have just read...

Tinami Amori

True... Eating disorders happen, for many reasons. But at least this is not her coach putting her on a powder diet.
the person who put Lip on a "powder diet" was her mother, not her coach. it's been translated and posted many times.

My point is true professional counseling are available to athletes to maintain their weight. What I don’t like to read is coaches throwing any kind of advices .
I never heard of any coaches, in any country or club "prescribing a specific diet for a skater".
- Butyrskaya did say she takes her skaters to her home for a week, and they lose 5 kg, but it is a one-time measure if a skater is too heavy for the work load.

- Tzareva (former Pogorylaia's coach) has posted a foto from her summer Training Camp for Juniors/Novices. Each such training camp centre has a cook and a dietitian. This is what the kids are eating. Seems like healthy food.
.... and they look not bad at all..... :lol:

We don't know how much time was left before 'the end of the month'.
But 10 pounds is a lot for a tiny female to lose in just one month.
Vaitsekhovskaya is not tiny. Her coach is a professional, and was coached by my coach (in platform diving), and entering water while doing a 2X salto with a twist (for example) from a 10m platform with "extra weight" is dangerous, for several reason, including shifting off balance in the air and hitting your head on a platform or a 3m board below you. If a diver comes back with 10lbs extra weight, it would be dangerous, for high-level jumps.

What is a coach supposed to do? Say "ok, i'll train you for the European championship which is 2 months away, but you can now do only single salto, since you're 10 lbs over weight"?.... or should the coach say "go home, and come back when you're ready and lost weight at your own speed and method"? or...... go ahead and jump 2ble salto and risk?

What is a coach supposed to do?

Tinami Amori

while it is still an off-season... :p
Pavluchenkova and her doggies....

Pavluchenkova and Kostornaya with horse

Shelepen with her doggy

Konstantinova with her cat, tagged "Taming of the Shrew-cat".

Panenkova - still "philosophical": As long as we keep on persevering and enduring, will get all that we want.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0KpPQgJzir/
... and in defense of Daleman... Panenkova also discovered how to "fotoshop"... :lol:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Ok, so back to Russia: Yagudin gave an interview where he mentiones his knee is 99% non functional (in an addition to his titanium hip) when asked whether he plays hockey, he and Totmianina think of a 3rd kid, Pluschenko's latest media scandal was about publishing photos with some fancy cars and then justifying why he deserves to have them (ffs, dude won every possible medal several times, married well and invested even better, why wouldn't he have fancy cars???), Zagitova Zagitova, Medvedeva, Medvedeva, Grischuk Zhulin Platov Usova Ilinyh Katsalapov Sinitsina Zhiganshin... is it enough to get off bad photoshop and get back to Russia?

Rina RUS

"an interview"?

Yagudin has been mentioning "almost missing" knee for... for a long time, in short. It seems he is going to skate all the summer shows on the same leg (they just have started) - and after that... perhaps he plans to find time for anything but visiting doctors.

He has been talking about a third kid for a long time as well. Totmianina was saying the same, but she started to skate again.

Tinami Amori

There is a rumor that Kolyada has just married. Is there a way to confirm it?
Recently he said in an interview that "he and his fiance went on a nice vacation", confirming with this phrase that he has a fiance. There are nothing on the russian sports news sources (yet?), but it is quite possible...

Tatjana Flade recently posted her interview with Kolyada (not about marriage).
In English: https://www.ifsmagazine.com/kolyada-motivated-after-tough-season/

In Russian: http://www.figureskating-online.com/mikhail-kolyada.html

Eislauffan

There is a rumor that Kolyada has just married. Is there a way to confirm it?

Okay, Mikhail doesn't want to discuss his private life in public, but some paparazzi posted a photo over at Golden Skate. ;-) They also quickly found out the name of the lucky lady, it is former pair skater Daria Beklemisheva.
!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information