From Russia with Love [#31]: Winter to Spring 2019

DeGraaf

Disagree. Are you Russian?
I am Russian and live in Russia most of the time. Figure skating fans are a tiny group of enthusiasts who know and are able to recognize the current figure skating stars. Outside this group, they are completely unknown. Its sad but true.

DeGraaf

Disagree. Are you Russian?
I am Russian and live in Russia most of the time. Figure skating fans are a tiny group of enthusiasts who know and are able to recognize the current figure skating stars. Outside this group, they are completely unknown. Its sad but true.

lala

If this is true it's really sad.
You can see my avatar I'm a big fan of Plushenko and I follow him for years in every level. I have seen he is celebrity not just a skater.
Some datas on him

"Google Trendy Award 2010" for "Athlete of the Year! Search with Google"
(Trends of the year in the Russian Internet)

He is on the Russian Forbes's list since 2006 https://www.forbes.ru/rating/365207-reyting-forbes-glavnye-rossiyskie-znamenitosti-2018 - the list on earnings, mentions in the media, searches in Yandex

Since 2013 he has been the Mercedes ambassador in December 2017 he became the hero of the advertising campaign of the LSR construction group. He became the ambassador of the Porsche in 2018 in Russia- these are just the biggest
He won the Eurovision Song Contest with Dima Bilan :D
He was a pilitician for 4 years in St. Petersburg ( I don't like that era and many Russians also)
He was the most popular athlete( not just skater) in Russia ( 2012, 2013, 2014) and I believe in 2006, 2007( maybe)
We could see him with many Russian politicians( Putin, Lavrov are the greatest- he played hockey and football with them) mayors of Moscow( they used him in their campigne) and celebrities..

And look at Tinami's posts so many searching on Zagitova and Medvedeva ! Maybe you are very pessimist :)

------------------

Liza's practice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVKnt8Q2Znw

a video on the beautiful girls https://twitter.com/Sk84it/status/1098555902305681408 Sima, Zhenya, Stanislava

I'm so excited!

Tinami Amori

:D So you came on a chat board, just to let everyone know that Russian top ladies have no marketability in Russia? Oh, well.. They do... Zag, Med, Tuk (to lesser extent at present) ALL are very marketable, all over Russia.. :p

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
:D So you came on a chat board, just to let everyone know that Russian top ladies have no marketability in Russia? Oh, well.. They do... Zag, Med, Tuk (to lesser extent at present) ALL are very marketable, all over Russia.. :p

Yep, you can't exactly miss Zag, when she is plastered all over the side of an airplane!

Tinami Amori

Last edited:

DeGraaf

You don't own this board, do you? ' Marketability ' comes in different shapes and sizes.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
:lol: figure skating is so ****ing huge in Russia that random Russian people even know who people like Lambiel or Drobiazko/Vanagas or Gwendal Peizerat are because of all the (tv) shows and pretty much everyone knows Med, Zag and the others. My aunt once had a cab driver who drove her home from the airport and even this guy had heard of Denis Ten's murder.
What you are saying is simply not true.

kittyjake5

:D So you came on a chat board, just to let everyone know that Russian top ladies have no marketability in Russia? Oh, well.. They do... Zag, Med, Tuk (to lesser extent at present) ALL are very marketable, all over Russia.. :p[/QUOTE. The Russian Ladies are well known and very popular and in Japan as well.

Perky Shae Lynn

This doesn't ring true at all. I travel to Russia frequently on business. Everyone knows not only current top skaters but also popular ones from prior years / generations. I don't believe you, sorry.

DeGraaf

This doesn't ring true at all. I travel to Russia frequently on business. Everyone knows not only current top skaters but also popular ones from prior years / generations. I don't believe you, sorry.
It's not about believing, it's about fact. And fact is when show a picture of a famous skaters most people dont know who they are or what sport they represent. Eventful with their skaters on.

Tinami Amori

It's not about believing, it's about fact. And fact is when show a picture of a famous skaters most people dont know who they are or what sport they represent. Eventful with their skaters on.
But of course... Multi-national, billion-dollar corporations, like Puma, Pantene/PG, and many more don't know what they are doing, and spending big $$$$$$$ on commercials, air time, print space, etc... and contracts with these girls, just to cater to few thousands of sports lovers..... :rofl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZdhXnPb1ys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN_5yFMUiRM

.. and some idiots put it on airplane fugelage for personal entertainment... :cheer:
http://www.myudm.ru/sites/default/files/1_2418.jpg
https://s-cdn.sportbox.ru/images/st...389318cacd840c460725a8099f0a8aea881092078.jpg

Mad for Skating

I’m honestly so nervous about these three spots for worlds that I don’t think I can watch the free skate...my favorite is Konstantinova (don’t @ me) but she probably has the least chance of the three. Tuktamysheva is amazing and I think she deserves the spot most, but with these recent shaky performances, I don’t know if they will give her the spot. I respect Medvedeva too, so I wouldn’t cry if she got the spot, but with her level of skating throughout the rest of the season, I can’t really justify it if they give her the spot.

Japanfan

I don't know about Russia, but don't think that most people in Canada would recognize current figure skating stars. And SFAIK, skaters are more broadly popular in Russia than in Canada.

Even though Tessa's and Scott's Moulin Rouge was re-broadcast after they won OG and it was a big item on the news, that was a year ago. Casual or non-skating fans who just saw the program once won't remember what they looked like, probably don't even remember their names.

And if previous stars like Stokjo or Chan walked through the downtown of any major Canadian town or city, I don't think they would be recognized by a lot of people - though skaters who come from small communities usually do have a lot of recognition in those communities.

I don't think this state of affairs is sad. Figure skating does have a small group of enthusiasts or serious fans. I prefer to say small rather than tiny.

Figure skating stars just aren't Wayne Gretzky - most Canadians would recognize him, I would think.

Also, figure skating has a larger fan base than some other sports. I would think a major figure skating competition would attract a larger audience than a major track and field meet or a major volleyball competition.

DeGraaf

But of course... Multi-national, billion-dollar corporations, like Puma, Pantene/PG, and many more don't know what they are doing, and spending big $$$$$$$ on commercials, air time, print space, etc... and contracts with these girls, just to cater to few thousands of sports lovers..... :rofl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZdhXnPb1ys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN_5yFMUiRM

.. and some idiots put it on airplane fugelage for personal entertainment... :cheer:
http://www.myudm.ru/sites/default/files/1_2418.jpg
https://s-cdn.sportbox.ru/images/st...389318cacd840c460725a8099f0a8aea881092078.jpg
There's a Russian saying: усруся,но не поддадуся. It pretty much sums up everything you say here: you know everything and have the final word on anything and everything, no matter what is being said. There's nothing to duscuss then, we should just listen to you

DeGraaf

I don't know about Russia, but don't think that most people in Canada would recognize current figure skating stars. And SFAIK, skaters are more broadly popular in Russia than in Canada.

Even though Tessa's and Scott's Moulin Rouge was re-broadcast after they won OG and it was a big item on the news, that was a year ago. Casual or non-skating fans who just saw the program once won't remember what they looked like, probably don't even remember their names.

And if previous stars like Stokjo or Chan walked through the downtown of any major Canadian town or city, I don't think they would be recognized by a lot of people - though skaters who come from small communities usually do have a lot of recognition in those communities.

I don't think this state of affairs is sad. Figure skating does have a small group of enthusiasts or serious fans. I prefer to say small rather than tiny.

Figure skating stars just aren't Wayne Gretzky - most Canadians would recognize him, I would think.

Also, figure skating has a larger fan base than some other sports. I would think a major figure skating competition would attract a larger audience than a major track and field meet or a major volleyball competition.
Absolutely agree with you.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Russian Team for Universiade:
https://www.minsport.gov.ru/2019/Spisok Univer-2019.doc
Ladies: Konstantinova, Sotskova

So this was originally named as Konstantinova and Tuktamysheva, with Sotskova and Medvedeva as alternates. I think this means there's a good chance Tuktamysheva gets the Worlds spot.

I'm somewhat surprised Medvedeva wasn't named, too, but maybe she turned it down. Or alternatively, maybe she's getting a Worlds spot, too? (highly unlikely, I know, but I'd really like a Janny/Tuk/Samodurova Worlds team).

zoe111

So this was originally named as Konstantinova and Tuktamysheva, with Sotskova and Medvedeva as alternates. I think this means there's a good chance Tuktamysheva gets the Worlds spot.

I'm somewhat surprised Medvedeva wasn't named, too, but maybe she turned it down. Or alternatively, maybe she's getting a Worlds spot, too? (highly unlikely, I know, but I'd really like a Janny/Tuk/Samodurova Worlds team).
I thought this was odd too. Even though Sotskova is on the sub list, I thought it was Med who was first in line for that. What’s the point in sending Sotskova? She’s not really a focus for the fed I don’t think, so I’m baffled

Stephanie

I thought this was odd too. Even though Sotskova is on the sub list, I thought it was Med who was first in line for that. What’s the point in sending Sotskova? She’s not really a focus for the fed I don’t think, so I’m baffled

I don't think anyone else who competed at nationals is old enough to be a university student and thus be eligible, except maybe Leonova

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information