From Russia with Love [#31]: Winter to Spring 2019

Tinami Amori

A trip to Veliky Novgorod seems to be too risky for Tuktamysheva. But if she does appear in front of the local public, we will only be inspired by her courage and sporting character. In the meantime, just waiting and hoping for the appearance of Liza in training on the 21st.
That's a "cover up paragraph", to appear less obvious in the intent. Standard form..... and everyone is using it... Almost looks like a format given to them by one party, to push the same idea. :lol:

Victor Kudryavtzev for example... who thinks it maybe not be a good idea for Tuk to skate at the Russian Cup and/or go to Worlds, because he is so concerned with her diminished health, that could lead to injuries if she participates... :p

https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1071738613.html
it starts with "yesterday it became known that Liza is on the list"..
«После болезни набрать форму, которая была у Туктамышевой в декабре, непросто. А если после такого пытаться в короткие сроки подготовиться к чемпионату мира, возрастает риск получения травмы. Поэтому я понимаю Алексея Мишина, который совместно с Елизаветой пока не принял решения относительно ее участия в Кубке России.

Иногда лучше воздержаться от главных прокатов, чтобы спокойно подготовиться к следующему сезону. Но если Туктамышева всё же поедет в Великий Новгород, можно только порадоваться за зрителей, которые увидят столь сильный состав участников», – рассказал Кудрявцев.

"It's difficult to regain the form Tuktamysheva had in December (before illness). But to try to get ready for the Worlds (after the illness) in such a short time, is a risk of getting an injury. There fore i understand Mishin, who jointly with Liza, have not made the decision about her participation in the Russian Cup Finals.

Sometimes it is better to stay away from main starts, to calmly prepare for the next season. But if Tuk comes to Novgorod, we can only be happy for the audience, who will see such strong field of competitors" said Kudryavtzev..."

... honey in the poison is such an old trick.. :D

Tinami Amori

Oh, so now Evgenia is Eve Harrington? You really are a trip. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
There is also "mother"... and the old Karenina dress if changed a bit, can work.... :lol:

It's quite enjoyable actually, each time Med speaks to the press or in IG, i check the "final speach" and find something from there... This is precious... "Although theatre is my whole life, i am going to Hollywood to make a movie... But i can't live without the theatre, i will be back, i promise.."... All i need to do is replace Hollywood with Canada, and theatre with Russia.... and there is it! and all that is in it.. :rofl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQmdub_P3ho
-- continued..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqpfxDUpnnU

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

I'm fairly confident Russia will retain three spots, but stranger things have happened.

As I previously mentioned, they *just* made the cut last year. In addition to Tennell and Bell, Tursynbaeva and Lim factor into the mix. TBH, I'm not sure about Kostner or Hendrickx's status.

Look at the 2019 Four Continents ladies. None of the top 3 after the short ended up on the podium. Samodurova has had a great season, and the win and Euros was a great confidence booster. But the same could be said of Mai Mihara in 2017, when she took Four Continents, and it just took one fall in the SP at Worlds to bury her and (combined with Higuchi's poor placement) give Japan only two spots.

It'll really come down to the SP. The Japanese are all strong there -- Kihira is the WR holder and Sakamoto rarely misses. Miyahara is the most vulnerable with her UR jumps put pulls in strong GOE in spins/steps and solid PCS.

Tennell and Lim both have strong SPs as well. I'd probably have Samodurova behind all of them if they are clean. Even if the Japanese ladies all skate lights out, one of the Americans play spoiler, and the Russians fall to places 5, 6, 7, any of those combinations of placements (if unchanged after the short) would secure them three spots. If Zagitova misses her SP combo, that will be costly. Things get dicey if the Russians fall into the 6, 7, 8 range, as that means they're also in the second-to-the-last group and scores may be held down a bit.

I can see you’ve done some good detailed research on this. I agree anything is possible. Also it depends upon the technical controller - some will call Miyahara’s jumps, some won’t (for example). I guess we’ll just have to wait and see!

zoe111

That's a "cover up paragraph", to appear less obvious in the intent. Standard form..... and everyone is using it... Almost looks like a format given to them by one party, to push the same idea. :lol:

Victor Kudryavtzev for example... who thinks it maybe not be a good idea for Tuk to skate at the Russian Cup and/or go to Worlds, because he is so concerned with her diminished health, that could lead to injuries if she participates... :p

https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1071738613.html
it starts with "yesterday it became known that Liza is on the list"..
«После болезни набрать форму, которая была у Туктамышевой в декабре, непросто. А если после такого пытаться в короткие сроки подготовиться к чемпионату мира, возрастает риск получения травмы. Поэтому я понимаю Алексея Мишина, который совместно с Елизаветой пока не принял решения относительно ее участия в Кубке России.

Иногда лучше воздержаться от главных прокатов, чтобы спокойно подготовиться к следующему сезону. Но если Туктамышева всё же поедет в Великий Новгород, можно только порадоваться за зрителей, которые увидят столь сильный состав участников», – рассказал Кудрявцев.

"It's difficult to regain the form Tuktamysheva had in December (before illness). But to try to get ready for the Worlds (after the illness) in such a short time, is a risk of getting an injury. There fore i understand Mishin, who jointly with Liza, have not made the decision about her participation in the Russian Cup Finals.

Sometimes it is better to stay away from main starts, to calmly prepare for the next season. But if Tuk comes to Novgorod, we can only be happy for the audience, who will see such strong field of competitors" said Kudryavtzev..."

... honey in the poison is such an old trick.. :D
You are ridiculous

Ka3sha

Liza posted a pic from Novgorod on her social media, so she is there and will take part in RCF.

Re all these articles, speculations, gossips and etc:
Ladies figure skating became extremely popular after Olympics due to Medvedeva/Zagitova/Tutberidze. You can easily find lot's of different articles in so-called 'sports media' trashing or praising Medvedeva/ Zagitova/ Tuktamysheva/ Samodurova/ Konstantinova and others.
It just depends on what kind of article you want to find on the Internet.

Re Russian Cup Final:
It has been known right after Nationals that the third spot on Worlds team will be decided after Euros and Russian Cup Final. Mishin, Chebotareva and other coaches know how this system works, they are not new to this.
While I would definitely like Liza to make the Worlds team, it is pretty understandable why the Fed wants to check her and other girls one more time, especially since her last competition wasn't that great.

Last edited:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Liza posted a pic from Novgorod on her social media, so she is there and will take part in RCF.

Re all these articles, speculations, gossips and etc:
Ladies figure skating became extremely popular after Olympics due to Medvedeva/Zagitova/Tutberidze. You can easily find lot's of different articles in so-called 'sports media' trashing or praising Medvedeva/ Zagitova/ Tuktamysheva/ Samodurova/ Konstantinova and others.
It just depends on what kind of article you want to find on the Internet.

Re Russian Cup Final:
It has been known right after Nationals that the third spot on Worlds team will be decided after Euros and Russian Cup Final. Mishin, Chebotareva and other coaches know how this system works, they are not new to this.
While I would definitely like Liza to make the Worlds team, it is pretty understandable why the Fed wants to check her and other girls one more time, especially since her last competition wasn't that great.

Thank you for a reasoned and thoughtful post (like always). :)

I agree. I do think it's reasonable for Tuktamysheva to skate at the Final. If she totally slayed at the Dragon Trophy (pun intended), then I think she would have been safer for Worlds. However, while I thought she looked decent considering the illness and 2 months away from competition, she wasn't strong enough to warrant a bye to Worlds.

Ka3sha

The Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration under the President of the Russian Federation (one of the leading universities in Russia) did three video interviews with Boikova/Kozlovskii and Tamara Moskvina. Dmitrii is a sophomore student at this university.

Interview with Aleksandra and Dmitrii
They knew they had a chance to win bronze at Europeans, but didn't focus on this too much. Of course they are thinking about Olympics and it's their main aim, but for now they try to concentrate on one competition at time. They are planning to increase difficultly in their programs and will be working on 3-3 and 3-euler-3 combinations during the off-season. Also, they think that the separation between St Petersburg and Moscow skating schools isn't relevant in modern figure skating, as each team is trying to find their personal style, their unique elements and etc. They know that they are good at classical style, as they really feel this type of music, but also want to try other styles and find their own style.

And Dmitrii's story about his sports career, studying, plans for the future and etc.
This one is pretty short, but features Aleksandra and Dmitrii working with Tamara and Arthur on the ice.

The interview with Tamara Moskvina is pretty long (> 20 minutes), I will try to translate it later
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6UlQnJkHiw

Last edited:

zoe111

Thank you for a reasoned and thoughtful post (like always). :)

I agree. I do think it's reasonable for Tuktamysheva to skate at the Final. If she totally slayed at the Dragon Trophy (pun intended), then I think she would have been safer for Worlds. However, while I thought she looked decent considering the illness and 2 months away from competition, she wasn't strong enough to warrant a bye to Worlds.
i agree. I also think we need to remember that in addition to a total change in her training environment, Med was off the ice for something like 4 months before this fall season. That’s not an easy recovery either

Tinami Amori

Here it is, and a pose "see... i am here!". Seems she read the comments that she may not be coming, or not ready... :lol:
https://www.sovsport.ru/data/sovsport/preview/2019-02/20/image-3192-1550682363-660x1174.png

Re Russian Cup Final:

Two phrases were said officially:
- to Mishin, which he repeated to the press several times "Get Liza ready for the worlds" (after her illness was known).
- That the World Team (meaning "all 4 disciplines", not "Ladies" specifically) will be announced after the Russian Cup Finals, and the results from RCF will be taken into consideration.

That's all. There was no mention of any skate-offs between any specific skaters. Tuk vs. Med, and later vs. Konst. situation developed later, and i am suspecting not without some behind-the-curtain influences.

Liza's last competition had issues, she was not "that great" even if she won. It was her first post-illness event, there is 1 month before the Worlds. However! Media could have covered it in various ways. "Liza won! she is on her way to regain form!" or, how some covered it "Liza failed, Med has a green light". It's glass half full, vs. glass half empty.

Liza did great all season in competition (never mind her show number). Yes, she should be checked to see if she regained her form, in private evaluation by the Coaches Council. If she is in her form, she should be on WT. She should not be required to face off other skaters and to have yet one more competition. She did her competing all season, with MANY MEDALS. It's about her form, not if she can beat "other girls who did not do so well all season and can have that 1 good skate this one time".

Last edited:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I’m torn, since as I posted Liza and Med are my two favorite Russians.

But the Russian Fed takes nothing for granted. If Liza hasn’t returned to pre-illness form, it makes sense to check how her two nearest competitors are doing. Liza would have earned the spot if she could have skated at Nats as she did at GPF. But she couldn’t, and what matters is who’s skating best now.

Med has been on both sides of the earned-it-but-injured equation. I don’t think it’s good for her to go to Worlds this year but let’s see how she does.

Marco

Two phrases were said officially:
- to Mishin, which he repeated to the press several times "Get Liza ready for the worlds" (after her illness was known).
- That the World Team (meaning "all 4 disciplines", not "Ladies" specifically) will be announced after the Russian Cup Finals, and the results from RCF will be taken into consideration.

If that's all that was said, isn't it possible that if Medvedeva and Tuktamysheva both skate great at the Russian Cup, Zagitova will be left off the team?

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
When the H are the Russian Cup Final that will decide who is going to Worlds? I am so totally confused.

Bonjour Sherry

Based on what we're saying so far, and because Worlds are in Japan, I'm predicting with 75% confidence that the World title will go to a Japanese skater. Kihira, Miyahara, and Sakamoto all have nonneglible chances.

If that's all that was said, isn't it possible that if Medvedeva and Tuktamysheva both skate great at the Russian Cup, Zagitova will be left off the team?

I doubt it will happen, but I see a case for both Med and Tuk going to Worlds if both skate blinders at the Russian Cup.

Tinami Amori

Ha! Gubanova is going to outskate them all and the Russian Fed will finally realize she is the star. :drama: But, if she doesn't, go Liza.
Ha! that's another issue, and it is unclear to many if not all, but for few people in RFSF, what happens if another girl places higher then Tuk/Med/Konst... and if that happens will she be sent to the worlds. People saying "what is it? two different competitions in one? these three are there to skate off for the World team, and all other girls are just a "back up mass" to fill the rink?

There are discussions taking place (on chats/forums/blogs) outside of main media, where "supporters of other girls" (parents/relatives? friends? rink mates? fans?) are quite unhappy about what's taking place.

They feel this whole event is staged like a circus. Yet in the past, all these years the Russian Cup Finals were pretty much intended to serve as a stepping stone to 2nd-tier skaters or those who did not make it to, or did not do well in major competitions (Challenger, GP, other national events, etc). That girls of Tuk/Med/Konst caliber usually do not skate at such events, it is an event to give a chance to b-level skaters to break into top tier.

Some say that the Federation should have either held a test skate or skate-off between T/M/K separately, and let the other girls get their chance to medal, to collect points/ranks for next season and be judges objectively, without the "3 stars" taking all the attention and "high marks".

Also, the cost of tickets to the event sky-rocketed, and some say it is sold for 6-times higher than the usual price for such event, and sold out very quickly, which prevented some of the friends, relatives and fans of the "other girls" from attending.

Here is what one poster said (just text, i can't list his name).
А мне жалко девочек, которые весь сезон выступали на этапах КР с надеждой отобраться в финал и конечно с надеждой победить, заработать очки. Но наша федра устроила цирк добавив троих из другого эшелона. Мы конечно не знаем как они выступят, а если хорошо то получается отберут медали у тех кто шел к финалу весь сезон. Ведь у этих девочек нет шанса на ЧМ, они борются всего-то за золото в финале КР.
Стася, Женя, Лиза не должны получать ни каких медалей даже если получат высшие баллы. Их баллы должны учитываться только для отбора на ЧМ. А медали должны получить те, кто шел к этому финалу весь сезон и показал высшие баллы.

"And i feel sorry for these girls, who participated all season in Russian Cup series, with hope to make it to the Final, and naturally a hope to win, to earn points/credits. But our Federation turned it into a circus, adding 3 girls from a completely different level. We of course don't know how these 3 top girls will perform, but if they do well, they will take away medals from those girls who worked towards making this Final all season long. Because these girls have no chance at World Championship, they are here to at least fight for Gold at a simple Russian Cup Final.

Konst, Med, Tuk, should not be contenders for any medals, even if they get highest scores. Their scores can be used to select who's going to the Worlds only. But the medals should be given to those who worked on making to this Final all season long, by earning their highest scores."

DeGraaf

Sounding gossip magazines. Are skaters the only celebrities in Russia? 😂
Most Russians have no idea who Zagitova,Medvedeva,Tuktamysheva or Tutberidze are. The only person from the future skating world who is likely to be recognized by an average Russian is Tarasova.

mjb52

I think those are good points about the Russia Cup Final - they really should have had a private skate-off instead of incorporating it into this event.

Tinami Amori

Most Russians have no idea who Zagitova,Medvedeva,Tuktamysheva or Tutberidze are. The only person from the future skating world who is likely to be recognized by an average Russian is Tarasova.

I have to respectfully disagree. All top skaters who make it to "Night Urgant", Russian Channel #1 talk shows (like Pust Govoryat), those who participated or hosted "Ice Age Children", or were the current Olympic Medalists, are known quite well in Russia, almost as well as many hockey players and footballers.

Medvedeva has Russia Pantine contract and her face is on display stands at "Pyaterochka" (X5 Convenience Chain Store).. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Do1IdsQX4AQ4QbR.jpg
She also has Nike Russia contract and displays in sports stores.

Zagitova has Sberbank (Central Russian Savings Bank) "There is only one true Champion" commercial.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/YD-NEUWtH9s/maxresdefault.jpg
Puma Commercials in Sports stores windows on major city streets
https://scontent-bru2-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/3f180bf196d05ff9bded747654b15639/5D24933C/t51.2885-15/e35/50673642_335193870428798_229991555292419245_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-bru2-1.cdninstagram.com&se=8&ig_cache_key=MTk4MDM3ODg3NzI0NzMxNTYwMg==.2
...and inside the stores..
https://scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagra...n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com

... and there is more for both, just in Russia alone..

Even Trusova and the other two Eteri's girls, who won the Russian Nationals, and made to "Urgant show" are now better known... Especially Trusova because of quads and media coverage... She is most likely soon getting the "Adidas" contract.

All these companies do an extensive market research on popularity of these girls with general public or target audience. The ratings were high enough for them to sign up.

Russian Business analytical publication "Kommersant" published Zagitova's "Yandex" rating in 2018. She is 5th most popular/searched person (not just athlete) - https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/3827225

Zagitova's dog Masaru is also very popular, people even recognize him first sometimes...
https://rsport.ria.ru/20181103/1145374728.html
this commercial, although for a Japanese product, was shown on the russian sports and other news on Russian TV ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3buaZrqT7EM

Tuktamysheva, true, is/was much less known, but did get some attention with "risky fotos" and "that stewardess leg spread, bra and panties showing".. So she is somewhat more known too.

Last edited:

lala

Most Russians have no idea who Zagitova,Medvedeva,Tuktamysheva or Tutberidze are. The only person from the future skating world who is likely to be recognized by an average Russian is Tarasova.[/Q

Disagree. Are you Russian?

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Disagree. Are you Russian?

I disagree too, as even Tiff gets recognised in Moscow supermarkets and asked for her autograph, yet she has nowhere near the fame of top level stars like Zagitova,Medvedeva,Tuktamysheva or Tutberidze.

I teach Russians who now live here in Lyon, yet they know perfectly well who these people are!

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Sorry I don't have time to read this entire thread but has the Russian world team be announced yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information