From Russia with Love [#31]: Winter to Spring 2019

Cherub721

YEAH!
As for "few" and "a few", our teacher was saying "few" was used for "мало" (not many/almost nothing?), "a few" was used for "несколько" (several/some?). Maybe it is not quite so. :)

As a native English speaker that is how I'd translate it as well.

all_empty

Relax about the three spots, guys. Alina gets high scores even if she implodes, and Sofia Samodurova is rock solid. They will manage the three spots (placements under 13) easily.

Keep on dousing, judges! #StasiaFan4ever

I love your optimism! That’s the spirit!

Um...that's what they thought last year sending the Olympic champion Zagitova, GP Final silver medalist Sotskova, and Kostantinova. And they barely got three spots this year.

The ice is slippery, though. But no top Canadian lady or Carolina Kostner should help Russia, Japan, and maybe the US.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Well, no country is going to send a perfect team. There's no such thing. But Alina and Sofia make a very strong one, even before the third person is added. Alina has never finished lower than fifth internationally as a senior, has she? And Sofia's international scores have been on a steady upward trajectory all season.

Tinami Amori

Sofia and Alina are going to WC, no one is even questioning it on the Russian side. The 3rd spot is up for skate-off. Tuk, Med, Konst have arrived, and took a draw for the SP event.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I know. I'm saying that the two women they already have on the team are very promising, even before they add the third.

Dobre

I think the Japanese ladies will be extremely tough to defeat this year at Worlds. (All of them). I don't think this stalling around on Russia's or Canada's part is going to change that; but Tuk & Samodurova have been very solid this season, provided both are sent.

Tinami Amori

...or Kihira wins. Which she will :D
... don't jinx it... Kihira with the confidence of the JGP win, was 5th in SP and lost 1st place to Kaori at Nationals. She was 2nd over all, beating Satoko by merely .42 points. Currently it is Kaori who is JNC.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
probably because everyone that is not lazy, made an effort to tell her to work on her artistry in addition to quads... :lol:
I think I meant why does that picture look like she is taking ballet?

It is a lovely picture, but those pointe shoes she is wearing have not been used (I hope) because they are not broken in.
And I wonder if her prior ballet training got her en pointe.

starrynight

Maybe she is just posing for some pictures. I was thinking those pointe shoes looked stiff and it makes sense now that you say they are not broken in.

Also is Trusova’s hair almost to her knees now?

Tinami Amori

I think I meant why does that picture look like she is taking ballet?

:D Because:

a) earlier/few days ago i posted a picture where she and other Eteri's jrs are taking a dance class, all in pointes, with Shalashova (the ballerina) with them. Now it is just Trusova.

b) look at the first foto, into the back ground. Shalashova is standing there... she is the ballet teacher... :lol:

c) because if you click on the arrows on the link, it will show more fotos where she is doing moves on pointes..
https://www.instagram.com/p/BuBXtCBA20M/

(and for the life of me, i can't figure out.. why would people think that a figure skater would put on pointe shoes, in the middle of practice time, buy red point shoes......just to take fotos and nothing else..... and buy RED ones, at that... :D )

Mad for Skating

btw, I have not seen any Koola King posts even in youtube for months now ?

My first guess will be, she finally got what she was coming for, a russian patriot/hacker probably hacked her account.
lets just hope his/her credit card accounts weren't stolen. lmao

the poor guy/girl probably is scared now to post

The most recent video appears to be from a month ago https://m.youtube.com/user/nlks100/videos

Um...that's what they thought last year sending the Olympic champion Zagitova, GP Final silver medalist Sotskova, and Kostantinova. And they barely got three spots this year.

The ice is slippery, though. But no top Canadian lady or Carolina Kostner should help Russia, Japan, and maybe the US.

Well you’re right about that. It’s not guaranteed for them. But as long as Samodurova shows up and Zagitova does a halfway decent performance, they should have a good chance.

I see the main threat from Japan. Tennell could spoil if she goes clean, or even Bell, but I don’t see enough girls piling up in front of Samodurova and Zagitova to cause a problem.

Is Carolina Kostner actually out of worlds too? I know she was injured but I was hoping she’d make a comeback.

all_empty

Well you’re right about that. It’s not guaranteed for them. But as long as Samodurova shows up and Zagitova does a halfway decent performance, they should have a good chance.

I see the main threat from Japan. Tennell could spoil if she goes clean, or even Bell, but I don’t see enough girls piling up in front of Samodurova and Zagitova to cause a problem.

Is Carolina Kostner actually out of worlds too? I know she was injured but I was hoping she’d make a comeback.

I'm fairly confident Russia will retain three spots, but stranger things have happened.

As I previously mentioned, they *just* made the cut last year. In addition to Tennell and Bell, Tursynbaeva and Lim factor into the mix. TBH, I'm not sure about Kostner or Hendrickx's status.

Look at the 2019 Four Continents ladies. None of the top 3 after the short ended up on the podium. Samodurova has had a great season, and the win and Euros was a great confidence booster. But the same could be said of Mai Mihara in 2017, when she took Four Continents, and it just took one fall in the SP at Worlds to bury her and (combined with Higuchi's poor placement) give Japan only two spots.

It'll really come down to the SP. The Japanese are all strong there -- Kihira is the WR holder and Sakamoto rarely misses. Miyahara is the most vulnerable with her UR jumps put pulls in strong GOE in spins/steps and solid PCS.

Tennell and Lim both have strong SPs as well. I'd probably have Samodurova behind all of them if they are clean. Even if the Japanese ladies all skate lights out, one of the Americans play spoiler, and the Russians fall to places 5, 6, 7, any of those combinations of placements (if unchanged after the short) would secure them three spots. If Zagitova misses her SP combo, that will be costly. Things get dicey if the Russians fall into the 6, 7, 8 range, as that means they're also in the second-to-the-last group and scores may be held down a bit.

Tinami Amori

Some "media" is still making attempts to "undercut" and demoralize Tuktamysheva, in favor of Medvedeva... Someone's PR-agent machine is working well... :D

Media is "feeding into the public" several assumptions - 1) Tuk probably has not recovered from her illness, and does not need to skate at the Russian Cup or go to Worlds, 2) spreading rumors that she may end up not showing up on the day of the skate, even if listed in a group, 3) that her schedule is already too full with "other events", including Univirsade and that she is probably afraid to face Med, due to her current condition.

"Medvedeva is in St. Petersburg, training for the event. Tuktamysheva may withdraw. The intrigues of Russian Cup Finals". https://www.sovsport.ru/figure/articles/2:887967
(Feb 19, 2019)

Впрочем, по Туктамышевой еще ничего не понятно. Заявиться она заявилась, но внесение фамилии в протокол и выход на лед – две разных процедуры.
Actually, it is not clear yet about Tuktamysheva. Yes, she is listed, but have one's name on the list, and stepping on the ice, are two different issues.

У Елизаветы плотный соревновательный график. На прошлой неделе она впервые после воспаления легких выступила на челленджере в Словакии. Получилось не очень здорово.
Elizaveta has a full schedule already. Last week, first time after pneumonia she participated in a challenger event in Slovenia. Results were not good.

Также в ее графике значится Универсиада, где выступать придется уже шестого марта. Есть ли смысл после такой болезни загонять себя и мучить бесконечным количеством стартов, которые убивают не только физику, но и сказываются на психологии?
In her schedule a Universade is planned, where she must be by March 6th. Does it make sense for her, after such an illness to push herself and torture with so many competitions, which not only damage her physically but affect mentally?

В кулуарах все придерживаются мнения, что Туктамышеву на катке в Великом Новгороде мы не увидим. Мишин и его ученица сделают ставку на Универсиаду и не будут вступать в очное соперничество с Медведевой, учитывая, что Лиза, очевидно, в настоящий момент находится не в лучшей форме.
Behind the scenes people whisper, that we will not see Tuktamysheva on the ice in Novgorod. Mishin and his pupple are betting on Universade, and will not try to engage in a one-on-one battle with Medvedeva, considering that Liza, obviously, is not in the best condition.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Some "media" is still making attempts to "undercut" and demoralize Tuktamysheva, in favor of Medvedeva... Someone's PR-agent machine is working well... :D

Media is "feeding into the public" several assumptions - 1) Tuk probably has not recovered from her illness, and does not need to skate at the Russian Cup or go to Worlds, 2) spreading rumors that she may end up not showing up on the day of the skate, even if listed in a group, 3) that her schedule is already too full with "other events", including Univirsade and that she is probably afraid to face Med, due to her current condition.

"Medvedeva is in St. Petersburg, training for the event. Tuktamysheva may withdraw. The intrigues of Russian Cup Finals". https://www.sovsport.ru/figure/articles/2:887967
(Feb 19, 2019)

Впрочем, по Туктамышевой еще ничего не понятно. Заявиться она заявилась, но внесение фамилии в протокол и выход на лед – две разных процедуры.
Actually, it is not clear yet about Tuktamysheva. Yes, she is listed, but have one's name on the list, and stepping on the ice, are two different issues.

У Елизаветы плотный соревновательный график. На прошлой неделе она впервые после воспаления легких выступила на челленджере в Словакии. Получилось не очень здорово.
Elizaveta has a full schedule already. Last week, first time after pneumonia she participated in a challenger event in Slovenia. Results were not good.

Также в ее графике значится Универсиада, где выступать придется уже шестого марта. Есть ли смысл после такой болезни загонять себя и мучить бесконечным количеством стартов, которые убивают не только физику, но и сказываются на психологии?
In her schedule a Universade is planned, where she must be by March 6th. Does it make sense for her, after such an illness to push herself and torture with so many competitions, which not only damage her physically but affect mentally?

В кулуарах все придерживаются мнения, что Туктамышеву на катке в Великом Новгороде мы не увидим. Мишин и его ученица сделают ставку на Универсиаду и не будут вступать в очное соперничество с Медведевой, учитывая, что Лиза, очевидно, в настоящий момент находится не в лучшей форме.
Behind the scenes people whisper, that we will not see Tuktamysheva on the ice in Novgorod. Mishin and his pupple are betting on Universade, and will not try to engage in a one-on-one battle with Medvedeva, considering that Liza, obviously, is not in the best condition.

Now I want to root for her even more.

Cherub721

YEAH!
It's funny because all along I've been assuming Med had no intention of showing up. Hopefully they'll both be there.

AxelAnnie

(Feb 19, 2019)

Why do you think any of those things are true?

Tinami Amori

Why do you think any of those things are true?
Why do you think that i think "these things are true" vs. "criticizing the media that does this, and showing why"?

Sounding gossip magazines. Are skaters the only celebrities in Russia? 😂
This is not "gossip"... it's worst and evil. it is easy to tell when a publication is simply looking for sensation and readership, or if an interviewer and/or a respondent have their preferences/favorites, from when it is a planned "hit job" on a person/athlete.

I am not a fan of Tuk... except for her 3A and efforts she made to return. But this is not fair, first of all to Mishin. He was clearly told, AFTER it was known that Tuk had pneumonia, "get her ready for Worlds". There was no mention of her having to do a "skate off". Now it is not only a "skate off", but a lot of undermining going on against her.

zebraswan

The irony of one of the most biased people here constantly bringing these fluff pieces of pseudojournalism here to complain about how biased and "evil" they are (lol) is really something else. Only when it suits her narrative, though, of course. First of all, the link isn't even right (correct one here), second of all, she conveniently left out the last paragraph:

A trip to Veliky Novgorod seems to be too risky for Tuktamysheva. But if she does appear in front of the local public, we will only be inspired by her courage and sporting character. In the meantime, just waiting and hoping for the appearance of Liza in training on the 21st.

Thirdly, why would you ever assume that "get ready for Worlds" means the same thing as "the spot is all yours"? It's not. There are always subs who have to be prepared, too. And who could really say whether Liza can be back to her top condition in time for Worlds or not, after her last competition? If she hasn't fully recovered and others are skating better, then that's just the way it is. If she is recovered, great. Let the results speak for themselves. Unless the Fed already officially named the team, then it is always subject to change. And whether it changes or not is not going to be determined by some fluff article in Sovsport.

AxelAnnie

Why do you think that i think "these things are true" vs. "criticizing the media that does this, and showing why"

Well, let me say it this way: It is not gossip if, for example, is true.

I truly have no idea if Liza is not in the best condition. If she is not, then it is not rumor. If she is in fab shape, then they are lying. Do you actually know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information