Canadian Pairs 2018/2019 Season News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

puglover

Ah, but French is such a beautiful language though. I really wish I had applied myself better when I was younger and had the opportunity. My husband lived for 2 years in France in his twenties and he spoke lovely French but, sadly, has lost it. I think he could regain it if he was exposed to it more

Colonel Green

So a question...Why is Bilodeau and his team creating such suspense about the announcement of his partner? Yes he’s talented but it’s not like he has the success of a Savchenko or a Dmitriev :shuffle:
Because he’s the most talented pairs guy active in Canada right now. Any new pairing for him would immediately become notable in our currently-depleted pairs scene.

Japanfan

As someone who tried to learn French a few years ago and failed miserably, the struggle is real.

We didn't get French until Grade 7 when I was in school, IIRC.

I found it so hard that I dropped out in Grade 10 and took American History instead - which was dead boring because of how they taught history back then - I hope it has since change and history is now taught in relation to how it affected people and societies, as opposed to focusing on famous people (always men when I was in school) and events.

I lived in both Greece and Japan, and didn't learn either language. Part of the reason is that I feel embarrassed about how I sound when I'm fumbling with a language, with an accept. Taxi drivers in Japan didn't even understand me when I gave them the name of the area or street I was going to.

I'm a perfectionist in English and have been a writer/wordsmith for pretty much all of my adult life. Unfortunately, that perfectionism may have made it harder for me to learn another language.

I do feel that I missed out - I've heard that people's identity and way of being can change, when they change from one language to another. And of course you get broader perspectives, and perhaps more precise understandings of things.

screech

I think it depends on the region. When I was a student in Ontario, it was mandatory from grades 1-9 (optional from grade 10, I believe, on), yet when I was a teacher in Alberta, students didn't start French until grade 4.
Also in Alberta (Calgary), very few signs were in both languages - you see much more bilingualism in Ontario.
In general I've heard that the further you get from Quebec, the less French seen and used.

But like I said, apparently Sudbury, where Meagan is from, is a fairly bilingual city, where she would have taken French classes for at least 9 years, and would have had a good deal of exposure to it in her daily life. To be fair, she might have lost a lot of it from non-use after high school (since she didn't move to Quebec until her 20s), like I did. But man do I wish I'd kept it. It's hard to find good jobs in Canada these days if you're not bilingual.

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
Part of the reason is that I feel embarrassed about how I sound when I'm fumbling with a language, with an accept.

I do feel that I missed out - I've heard that people's identity and way of being can change, when they change from one language to another.
It is truely an baring thing, to try to speak another "language" with an accept that other's can not understand. When I was in Navy and we were stationed in Korea, I was told there national food is said the same way that we here in USA would say "bull dog died" but people didn't know what I had said, not good feeling.

As for the other one I learned when I was in 5 grade that putting a coma between subject & verb is never O.K. in English, may be that is not true any more?!

I hope that Charlie Billodough finds some one who can let him "achieve" the same great ness he did with the Africa program, that was my wife and my favorite from Canada aside from Keegan who isn't 100 percent Canadian so I don't know if he count's

RoseRed

I think it depends on the region. When I was a student in Ontario, it was mandatory from grades 1-9 (optional from grade 10, I believe, on), yet when I was a teacher in Alberta, students didn't start French until grade 4.
Also in Alberta (Calgary), very few signs were in both languages - you see much more bilingualism in Ontario.
In general I've heard that the further you get from Quebec, the less French seen and used.

But like I said, apparently Sudbury, where Meagan is from, is a fairly bilingual city, where she would have taken French classes for at least 9 years, and would have had a good deal of exposure to it in her daily life. To be fair, she might have lost a lot of it from non-use after high school (since she didn't move to Quebec until her 20s), like I did. But man do I wish I'd kept it. It's hard to find good jobs in Canada these days if you're not bilingual.
That's always what my parents thought, which is why they had me in French immersion from the beginning. We lived in Ottawa, so it's extra important between all the federal government jobs and the proximity to Quebec.

I think I first realized I was fluent in French when I noticed that I would think in French during French class, instead of translating things in my head. I was lucky to go to a school for a while where half of the subjects were taught in English and half in French, we used the Quebec French language curriculum and all of the French teachers were Francophones.

WildRose

I’m in Alberta. Two of my Grandchildren have been in French Immersion since kindergarten, it’s offered in the Public School system. A third grandchild isn’t in immersion, but started French this year in grade 5. I used to be able to read French quite well, but any attempts on my part to speak it are generally met with gales of laughter. Lately my grandchildren have taken to begging me not to even try - so apparently I’m getting worse LOL.

WanderlustTO

I didn't start French until grade 4 (but this would have been in the late 80s). I was at a private school for middle school/high school, and they made us take French through OAC (i'm aging myself with the OAC reference). I was never good at french at all, but it left enough of an imprint that even a couple of decades later I can still read it pretty well and communicate at a basic level. However I am TERRIBLE at understanding any spoken French at all.

jlmart

In 1960s Ontario, French classes started in Grade 9. I don't think there is, or at least was, a 13 year old alive that would attempt a french accent and run the risk of making a fool of him/herself in front of classmates. When I listen to the rink announcer at the competitions in Toronto switch to French and the boards light up about his execrable accent I chuckle to myself because that is exactly what my French classes sounded like.

Mad for Skating

Athlete Spotlight / Q&A video with Evelyn Walsh & Trennt Michaud: https://skatecanada.ca/2019/01/athlete-spotlight-evelyn-walsh-trennt-michaud/

I love them! They’re both so cute!

I found it so hard that I dropped out in Grade 10 and took American History instead - which was dead boring because of how they taught history back then - I hope it has since change and history is now taught in relation to how it affected people and societies, as opposed to focusing on famous people (always men when I was in school) and events.

I lived in both Greece and Japan, and didn't learn either language. Part of the reason is that I feel embarrassed about how I sound when I'm fumbling with a language, with an accept. Taxi drivers in Japan didn't even understand me when I gave them the name of the area or street I was going to.

I'm a perfectionist in English and have been a writer/wordsmith for pretty much all of my adult life. Unfortunately, that perfectionism may have made it harder for me to learn another language.

I do feel that I missed out - I've heard that people's identity and way of being can change, when they change from one language to another. And of course you get broader perspectives, and perhaps more precise understandings of things.

That’s really cool! And you’re never too old to learn, even though it gets harder as you get older.

Japanfan

I think the time as well as the region. I graduated from high school in 1974. :yikes:

And maybe the place as well. I grew up in northern Canada, in a small town. IIRC, my French teachers were not even native French speakers.

barbarafan

If you live in a place like Quebec and you decide there are plenty of English people to talk to and withdraw from the challenge you are missing out of at least 50% of the wonderful people you can enjoy, love and learn from in any situation.That doesn't work for me. I was always trying to learn more but it is difficult. I am finally completely comfortable with just jumping in and speaking it after yrs of using half and half and letting French people rescue me when I couldn't find the words. This happened because for the last almost yr and a half I have been taking an HR French conversation course at my local YMCA every Friday. It is now coming natural and I sometimes think in French as well. IT IS ABOUT TIME. I am 67. I always was trying before but I was not successful. And yes...part of it was my type A...almost right isn't good enough personality. Sometimes we really need to get over ourselves.

couple novice

[QUOTE = "Sk8mom123, post: 5501616, member: 71304"] Je suis à Saint John pour les nationaux ... je dois assister à la pratique des couples juniors aujourd'hui. Des progrès vraiment intéressants pour certaines des équipes. La plupart ont l'air plutôt fort. Je pense que ce sera un événement intéressant! [/ DEVIS]
Je me demandais s'il y avait quelqu'un qui assistait aux pratiques des Novice et s'il y avait quelques commentaires sur le futur de ces couples.

cdn skate fan

[QUOTE = "Sk8mom123, post: 5501616, member: 71304"] Je suis à Saint John pour les nationaux ... je dois assister à la pratique des couples juniors aujourd'hui. Des progrès vraiment intéressants pour certaines des équipes. La plupart ont l'air plutôt fort. Je pense que ce sera un événement intéressant! [/ DEVIS]
Je me demandais s'il y avait quelqu'un qui assistait aux pratiques des Novice et s'il y avait quelques commentaires sur le futur de ces couples.

I saw some of the novice pairs practices last night! All of the teams were practicing well. In my opinion there are a few teams who have stood out all year as the top novices and they looked great, still strong and obviously have been working hard to prepare for nationals...no surprises there. The other 2/3 of the group overall did surprise me because I saw big improvements from these teams vs. how they were skating at Challenge. There is a wide range of skill in this division, some of the teams have big twists and big throws with solid lifts and decent ice coverage, one can picture that they will be incorporating triples and junior level elements in their next season. Other teams are obviously still a few years away from that.

barbarafan

I saw some of the novice pairs practices last night! All of the teams were practicing well. In my opinion there are a few teams who have stood out all year as the top novices and they looked great, still strong and obviously have been working hard to prepare for nationals...no surprises there. The other 2/3 of the group overall did surprise me because I saw big improvements from these teams vs. how they were skating at Challenge. There is a wide range of skill in this division, some of the teams have big twists and big throws with solid lifts and decent ice coverage, one can picture that they will be incorporating triples and junior level elements in their next season. Other teams are obviously still a few years away from that.

Thank-you..I hope Skate Canada send a few of the top teams after this competition to an international event this spring as they did last year. They need to get their feet wet on the international stage.

cdn skate fan

Thank-you..I hope Skate Canada send a few of the top teams after this competition to an international event this spring as they did last year. They need to get their feet wet on the international stage.
The top teams from novice this year will be competing at the Canada Winter Games in the end of February this year as well!

Sylvia

TBD
Skate Ontario already has named their team for the Canada Winter Games and the 2 pair teams are:

Lily Wilberforce & Aidan Wright – Pre-Novice Pair (they won Skate Canada Challenge in December)
Mackenzie Ripley & Owen Brawley – Novice Pair (3rd at Challenge & top pair from Ontario)

From the Skate Ontario Team Selection Policy (November 2018) - 2019 Canada Games:
The team will be selected based on an athlete’s or team’s overall body of work for competitions in the summer
through to Skate Canada Challenge. Body of work will include but not be limited to the following:
• competition results;
• short/free program scores;
• elements successfully completed in competition programs; and
• athletes must be team players and have displayed fair play both on and off the ice.

Japanfan

If you live in a place like Quebec and you decide there are plenty of English people to talk to and withdraw from the challenge you are missing out of at least 50% of the wonderful people you can enjoy, love and learn from in any situation.

I grew up in a small mining town in Northern Canada (remember Flin Flon anyone, from the days Wayne and Shuster used to make jokes about it?). Population 9000 at the day (mine will be dry by 2020, so town is likely fated to become a ghost town).

There may have been French speakers in the town, but I don't recall any.

chantilly

I
I grew up in a small mining town in Northern Canada (remember Flin Flon anyone, from the days Wayne and Shuster used to make jokes about it?). Population 9000 at the day (mine will be dry by 2020, so town is likely fated to become a ghost town).

I spent summers and Christmas there! My Mom grew up there with her family.
And i still have an uncle and aunt there!

aftershocks

Banned Member
... I'm a perfectionist in English and have been a writer/wordsmith for pretty much all of my adult life. Unfortunately, that perfectionism may have made it harder for me to learn another language.

That's interesting. Mostly, I think it's just harder to learn a new language as an adult. We were taught French in kindergarten and first grade when I was in school, but then it tailed off or was not continued on a structured basis beyond that. Or else, it was a funding issue, or a foreign language teacher availability issue. Languages weren't re-introduced for me and my peers until junior high (middle school). To this day, I can remember some of the French songs we were taught in kindergarten, and I can recite the alphabet and numbers in French. I remember a lot of French vocabulary, but grammar very much less so.

In any case, although it is harder to learn languages as adults, it's not impossible. Immersion is probably the best way, and learning vocabulary, and talking to native speakers. The best way of all, of course, is to learn when you are a baby by hearing adults around you speaking different languages. Children are able to learn like a sponge, and their brains can also distinguish the differences between several languages at a time.

There should be techniques available to overcome embarassment surrounding pronunciation of French (probably mainly associated with practising out loud and speaking regularly to supportive native speakers).

Since this is an interesting topic that's OT in this thread, I'm going to start a thread in OTBT because I have more to share and maybe others might be interested in discussing the topic. Your last comments I find very fascinating. I have a friend who left the U.S. for Europe after high school, and he made his permanent home in France ever since (over 40 years). He speaks fluent French like a native speaker, and it didn't take him too long at all because he was living in the country. Eventually, when he was back in the U.S. visiting, he confided that he even dreams in French. Of course, he never forgot how to speak English, but he speaks English with a slight French accent.

barbarafan

My parents had close friends who moved to Flin Flon, Manitoba and my mom often spoke of them.

Skate Talker

I grew up in a small mining town in Northern Canada (remember Flin Flon anyone, from the days Wayne and Shuster used to make jokes about it?).
I have been there a couple of times. Flin Flon is supposedly the only place named after a science fiction character. I shall attempt to spell his name but no guarantees it's even close to correct - Flintabaty Flonatin. My first visit was as a pre-teen so I was really taken with his giant statue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information