Canadian Pairs 2018/2019 Season News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoskate

I actually don’t find it frustrating jr is a great time to learn and I enjoy watching all of the skaters as they grow and switch partners etc. I think it’s exciting.

I agree with this. Junior pairs (and other skaters) are already good enough that they are interesting to watch, but it's not obvious yet whether or not they will ultimately succeed in their goals. It's fascinating to watch the progression from year to year, to see how their skating changes. For the ones that continue to improve, the changes from year to year can be dramatic and exciting. For the ones that ultimately don't reach their goals, I don't have as much invested in their progress as for senior skaters. I find it easier to accept their decisions to retire or to continue to skate but with a lower priority in their overall lives.

I experience far more frustration with senior skaters. At that point, we already know that they have obvious potential, they've gone through puberty so body changes can't derail them, and they have already demonstrated that they can be very good skaters. For skaters who then don't reach their full potential, for whatever reason (injury, lack of proper training, lack of commitment or time, other priorities) it becomes much more of a disappointment for me.

But juniors are just . . . fun (for the viewers, anyway).

clairecloutier

While I understand the disappointment of Seguin/Bilodeau fans, I am very very glad that Lubov will have this opportunity to continue her competitive career. As great as she and Dylan were together, I am convinced she still has much more to show us,potentially, in the competitive realm. And I think she & Charlie may actually match better in terms of line and physique than either did with their previous partners. You never know what will happen going into a new partnership, but I am very much looking forward to seeing this new team together and I wish them the best of luck!! :love:

barbarafan

Rock2

Excited to see more of Lubov. She CAN jump... was actually pretty consistent up to 2011. Here’s to hoping someone can help her regain her consistency (although I have doubts about Bruno’s camp for this... really wish Aljona would take them on!!!)

https://youtu.be/NM64ZmtLp-Y

She was also in my mind really consistent in her first two years with Dylan.

Bruno is actually a really good technician. He had all his jumps up to lutz in his early days as a singles skater. If he's not involved and it ends up being all Richard I'll be less excited.
Also based on Meagan's comments, Montreal seems to be a highly positive and supportive training environment. No bickering, crying, shouting allowed. Might be the right place for her more than what Aljona might bring on the nurturing side.

As for an announcement, Charlie said 'winter', so I might guess that they'll announce as they actually start training together. Random things could happen between now and when they formally come together, so perhaps best to talk about it when it's real. Also there might be some complications with Lubov's contract for all we know so perhaps it's not the right time for her to signal she's leaving her current gig. Whatever it is, I'm sure there's a good reason.

The good news is that there's evidence they are both training and getting/staying in shape. If the synergy is in fact there, this might come together quickly.

My biggest anxiety in all this is waiting to see who does their programs. I don't want to see particularly safe choices even in year one. Life is short....as are careers sometimes.

Rock2

Julianne never said Charlie pressured her about weight issues. The highlighted sentence is about physical conditioning not weight (être en forme = being in shape, not being overweight or too heavy).

I think it's a bit of everything.

For the pair to train properly and to keep things safe for the man (and then consequently the woman), the girl has to be a good combo of being as light as is healthy/reasonable and she needs to be strong to put up lifts and lock them in so she's not shifting her balance above the man. There's plenty of room in that combo for the girl to be a healthy weight.

What's almost more important is that when she gets to the optimal size and conditioning she needs to stay there. It's quite dangerous to both of them if her weight and conditioning fluctuate. This has been the bigger problem I think over the past few years.

So yes it's sad that skaters have so much pressure to be thin and pretty and the girl bears most of that brunt although it shouldn't be lost on us that a ton of elite dance and pairs teams feature some seriously sexy dudes. Goes with the territory that Skating While Pretty gets you marks.

Net net there are unfair parts to the situation but there are similarly highly-functional reasons that relate to skill development and safety that requires the girl to remain in shape and compete with an optimal, stable weight. Gets complicated when injuries happen and especially persist; with S/B we saw the impact.

barbarafan

She was also in my mind really consistent in her first two years with Dylan.

Bruno is actually a really good technician. He had all his jumps up to lutz in his early days as a singles skater. If he's not involved and it ends up being all Richard I'll be less excited.
Also based on Meagan's comments, Montreal seems to be a highly positive and supportive training environment. No bickering, crying, shouting allowed. Might be the right place for her more than what Aljona might bring on the nurturing side.

As for an announcement, Charlie said 'winter', so I might guess that they'll announce as they actually start training together. Random things could happen between now and when they formally come together, so perhaps best to talk about it when it's real. Also there might be some complications with Lubov's contract for all we know so perhaps it's not the right time for her to signal she's leaving her current gig. Whatever it is, I'm sure there's a good reason.

The good news is that there's evidence they are both training and getting/staying in shape. If the synergy is in fact there, this might come together quickly.

My biggest anxiety in all this is waiting to see who does their programs. I don't want to see particularly safe choices even in year one. Life is short....as are careers sometimes.

ITA but the choreographer needs to check all the boxes. Innovation in lifts and transitions will now bring in the high marks and this year's pairs are going for this. In this Lubov should be consulted as she is very creative and can invision things which lots of pairs girls cannot do. I just hope Charlie is strong enough to do his part. It takes two.

chantilly

I don’t think this is our quad. Unfortunately.
But we will see after that.
We have some potential in women’s, men’s and dance in juniors.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Charlie was just on the radio (Ici Radio Canada Première) and said he will announce the name of his new partner over the winter. The plan is to start competing in September.

Over the winter? Isn't it winter in Canada now? :p I'm thinking as others have suggested that it may be announced at Canadian Nationals -- a great photo opportunity and all that. :)

Mad for Skating

Charlie was just on the radio (Ici Radio Canada Première) and said he will announce the name of his new partner over the winter. The plan is to start competing in September.

YAY!!!

While I understand the disappointment of Seguin/Bilodeau fans, I am very very glad that Lubov will have this opportunity to continue her competitive career. As great as she and Dylan were together, I am convinced she still has much more to show us,potentially, in the competitive realm. And I think she & Charlie may actually match better in terms of line and physique than either did with their previous partners. You never know what will happen going into a new partnership, but I am very much looking forward to seeing this new team together and I wish them the best of luck!! :love:

OMG I'M GOING TO CRY FROM HAPPINESS!!! Seguin/Bilodeau were good together and achieved great things, but Lubov is a freaking QUEEN and deserves another chance at her Olympic dream! In terms of extension, lift positions, and overall grace, she is the cream of the crop. I honestly think this could be magical. Charlie is also a great skater and probably the only guy out there who could possibly do her justice, so I will wait patiently! (Also, no release problems, since they're both skating for Canada! What a relief!)

(can you tell I'm excited?)

I hope Julianne can find equal success with someone new - maybe there's a guy out there who will work even better with her than Charlie. 2019 is the year of new beginnings!

Mad for Skating

Agree to disagree. Julianne clearly said right after the part I quoted that it was very difficult to be a woman in this sport because you always have to look good, keep your weight down, be made up when you are in public, etc. She went on to say that one cannot perform miracles when you are injured and aren't training optimally, and then said her relationship with her body hasn't always been positive and that one can be intimidated when they see people with seemingly ideal body types in the sport, but she was able to keep it in perspective over the years. To me, she was obviously trying to be judicious, but it does sound like she felt pressure about her size/weight and it wasn't just internal.

Ugh, the weight discussion is always exhausting. All these skaters are in good enough shape to do what they need to do. If the guy can lift her and she can still jump, she's not too heavy. I wish her all the best.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Announcement should be soon as they start training apparently full time together next month (Lubov & Charlie). I think Nationals would be a great place to announce. I would imagine an early next season senior B assuming good summer testing. I’m excited for this pairing.

aftershocks

Banned Member
This is exciting. I hope they make full use of her amazing flexibility in their programmes...

I honestly think this could be magical...

If Luba & Charlie are indeed pairing, there seems to be reason for hopeful promise. Luba is listed at 5'0", while Julianne is listed at 5'1", so no real difference there. But with Charlie's height (5'11") and his partnering skills, matched with Luba's flexibility, lovely aesthetics, and wowza lift positions, we may get to see some great lifts and throws. Time will tell if/how it all works out.

Meanwhile, let's take a look back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfnPzPqkISY Luba/Dylan 2017 Worlds sp (final 6th place after fp)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNoH_1chPzQ Luba/Dylan 2017 4CC fp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOkLIfwwY2A Seguin/Bilodeau 2015 GPF sp (Da da da dah! :encore:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnTb9s3wQSA Seguin/Bilodeau 2017 NHK fp

Luba on Insta:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfMx3hFj0oZ/ Luba with her boyfriend, Dean
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh-Xz6tjys7/ Luba & Dean on vacation in Cuba
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlQzfUdD-ar/ ^ ^
https://www.instagram.com/p/BiN8_X-gk5M/ ^ ^
https://www.instagram.com/p/BkLQW28D0rk/ Luba with Medvedeva

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlBAR1eDW1i/ :lol: Luba is so funny, and bendy :p
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnc_Tg4jWr7/ Luba with J_Butt -- It's nice to see Luba so happy :)

Is Luba's boyfriend also an athlete?

quartz

scratching at the light
Well, I loved Julianne and Charlie together, and it's going to take me a bit to get used to Lubov with him, altho I love her too. I am just hoping for quirky, fun, character type programs from them. If they do any sort of lovey-dovey cheesy dreck, I will not be happy. :blah: My vote is for Shae-Lynn for choreographer.

Rafter

Excited to see more of Lubov. She CAN jump... was actually pretty consistent up to 2011. Here’s to hoping someone can help her regain her consistency (although I have doubts about Bruno’s camp for this... really wish Aljona would take them on!!!)

https://youtu.be/NM64ZmtLp-Y

The problem with Bruno and company is that it seems you HAVE to use Julie Marcotte for choreo. I’d like to see someone else other than Julie M choreo for I/B.

aftershocks

Banned Member
it seems you HAVE to use Julie Marcotte for choreo

Does Julie do the choreo for each and every one of Gauthier/Marcotte pairs? Or is it just considered a requirement for Canadian pairs? :COP: I think Julie has created some interesting choreo for a lot of teams over the years, including U.S. teams. But yes, variety is sometimes the spice of life; mixing it up and challenging a comfort zone.

James/Cipres purposely decided to work with different choreographers this season, even though they love working with John Kerr and their programs together were successful. It has definitely worked though for J/C to try two new choreographers this season (both are related to ice dance). So yeah, it'd be fun to see Shae Lynn work with Luba & Charlie (if they pair). Shae Lynn comes from ice dance too, and maybe she's also from a rocking 'nother planet. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information