2019-20 Canadian Men news & updates

barbarafan

If only that were the case.

The growth happened 3 years ago and the inconsistency persists. He'll be almost 22 at world's so we need to turn the page on that story line.

I think the #1 thing he needs is the fire and competitive drive to get to the next level. Tbh I don't think he has it, and my understanding is this is part of the reason for all the coaching changes.

His ceiling going forward is flirting with top 10 at world's. I'm looking for some indication that he's ready and willing to go higher. Still watching...and waiting.
Well..he must have started to do something about his lack of speed and power in his latest coach change. Don't know if it is coach inspired of if the lightbulb finally came on and he started to work hard and focus on his own but things did come together so we wait and see if he also realizes that it has to be an everyday thing to push yourself to your limits to climb higher in the rankings. It should be an interesting season.

puglover

I am not sure about Nam's competitive future but he sure was a delightful addition to CSOI. Calgary came after many shows in many cities and Nam seemed so thrilled to be there and was a highlight for me. A big plus - he landed a beautiful triple axel which is a nice addition for those fans who tire slightly of double axels and triple toes. Hopefully he has developed some of the grit necessary for the competitive world.

Rock2

Well..he must have started to do something about his lack of speed and power in his latest coach change. Don't know if it is coach inspired of if the lightbulb finally came on and he started to work hard and focus on his own but things did come together ....

I'm baffled by this passage.

However you do know your stuff, so I'll assume you have caught something live that I haven't picked up on yet through the screen. His SP in North York did get real high PCS and his jumps seemed to have more pop so maybe there's more improvement there than what immediately meets the eye. Let's see if international judges feel the same.

ChiquitaBanana

If only that were the case.

The growth happened 3 years ago and the inconsistency persists. He'll be almost 22 at world's so we need to turn the page on that story line.

I think the #1 thing he needs is the fire and competitive drive to get to the next level. Tbh I don't think he has it, and my understanding is this is part of the reason for all the coaching changes.

His ceiling going forward is flirting with top 10 at world's. I'm looking for some indication that he's ready and willing to go higher. Still watching...and waiting.
My answer was to : he went to 5 Worlds. The first two werebwfore his puberty iirc.

Dobre

Well it took Keegan 7 years to go from 4th at Junior Worlds to 8th at Senior Worlds and 8 to qualify for the GPF. Adam was 6th at his first Senior Worlds and made it back there 6 seasons later and went on to qualify for two GPFs after that. Every athlete has their own journey to make.

For what it's worth, the men's field as a whole has changed wildly since the 2015 Worlds, due in large part to the multi-quad revolution. And then we also saw a big change with the new scoring system. I think the only athlete that finished below Nam's 5th place result from 2015 and then finished above him at last year's Worlds was Brezina. And, well, he's Brezina--the guy has never been a good measuring stick & never will be. Just pointing out that comparing placements in the men's field is such an iffy proposition. I mean, Alexei Bychenko went from 4th to 22nd in one year. (He finished 4th at his 7th Worlds). Vincent went from 14th to 3rd last year. Boyang went from 3rd to 19th to 5th. Seriously, this is a crazy discipline. And the Canadian men's field is no exception.

Last edited:

barbarafan

I'm baffled by this passage.

However you do know your stuff, so I'll assume you have caught something live that I haven't picked up on yet through the screen. His SP in North York did get real high PCS and his jumps seemed to have more pop so maybe there's more improvement there than what immediately meets the eye. Let's see if international judges feel the same.
Talking about the improvement in the last 2 yrs.

Sylvia

TBD
Congratulations to Aleksa Rakic, who turns 15 next month, on winning his first JGP medal, silver, in Courchevel: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1lq4yaFpPa/

SP (3rd): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrbDO46WVEo
FS (3rd): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaJgdD0lMYE

He landed all his planned jumps in both programs, including 7 clean triples through Lutz in his FS, and set all new ISU personal bests in total score (200.71), SP (69.54) and FS (131.17).

Ted Barton interviewed him afterwards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stHuvLr7_o4

ETA: I assume Skate Canada will have to give him a second JGP now (only open spot seems to be #5 Zagreb, CRO with Gogolev?).

Last edited:

Colonel Green

• Stephen's Lutz edge is much-improved, and he hasn't been with Raf all that long.
  • In general, I wasn't quite sure what to expect here, what with the coaching change, technique changes, growth, and Raf saying that they had started later than he had wanted. But this was definitely a good start.
  • Program is looking nice, though it's still new on him.
  • He could use a haircut.

Colonel Green

In general, I wasn't quite sure what to expect here, what with the coaching change, technique changes, growth, and Raf saying that they had started later than he had wanted. But this was definitely a good start.
To follow up on that based on the free program, whether it's growth, technique changes, or both (probably both), the bigger jumps are clearly a work in progress at the moment.

I'm actually less surprised at him only attempting one quad than him attempting only one triple Axel.

Moustaffask8r

Skate Canada's website now lists Corey Circelli as the 2nd man for JGP Poland (he and McIsaac are assigned to the first & last JGPs in dance) and Eric Liu is listed for his 2nd at JGP #7 in Italy.

Canada was the 4th highest placing country at 2019 Junior Worlds and have picked up an extra men's spot for each of the first five JGPS due to Italy not using theirs (still TBD about the final 2 JGPs).

Challenger men's assignments listed on Skate Canada's website:
Nicolas Nadeau (U.S. Classic)
Nam Nguyen (Nebelhorn)
TBD: Finlandia Trophy and Warsaw Cup.

Messing and Nguyen are scheduled to make their season debuts tomorrow evening as both are listed in the SP starting order for the North York Summer Skate tomorrow, along with Roman Sadovsky, Conrad Orzel and Bennet Toman.
Just wondering about Nadeau... was he at HP Camp?? Didn’t see him on any pictures?!

barbarafan

To follow up on that based on the free program, whether it's growth, technique changes, or both (probably both), the bigger jumps are clearly a work in progress at the moment.

I'm actually less surprised at him only attempting one quad than him attempting only one triple Axel.
he ususally does a huge quad toe,triple toe combination...He has obviously recently shot up another 4 inches. That will throw his technique off. He had all his quads beautifully by 12 and Brian's role became tweaking technique after each spurt (once he was no longer sore and given health ok) while working on all his other skills. For the first time though I noticed that his upper body is also growing up and broadening. So this is when next step comes in. Using all those muscles and power he is coming into to gain speed and height. He is skating much faster and with the adrenaline pumping and not enough time to prepare he made some messes. At least he went for everything and did not pop any jumps and I think the new speed and power was taken in account in his PCS. When he gets his jumps straightened out he should score really well. I am about to rewatch his skate now as I was cringing in sympathy last night.

greenapple

Stephen has grown six inches since December so he has been constantly adjusting to an ongoing growth spurt. It is understandable that he is having problems with his jumps right now but no doubt this is just a temporary situation.

puglover

It seems to be it would be easier to sneak up without too much fanfare until you have stopped growing and are competing with your adult body - sort of like Kaetlyn Osmond. Stephen certainly does not have that luxury so I hope he has reassuring people around him. I guess the big question is how he handles it if he has a year of growth without the big results that people have come to expect from him.

barbarafan

It seems to be it would be easier to sneak up without too much fanfare until you have stopped growing and are competing with your adult body - sort of like Kaetlyn Osmond. Stephen certainly does not have that luxury so I hope he has reassuring people around him. I guess the big question is how he handles it if he has a year of growth without the big results that people have come to expect from him.
He has been growing steadily but this spurt was bigger than normal for him. He has great control of himself and didn't lose it when his big jumps at the beginning didn't work out. He finished the program with many good moments and although he seems disappointed he didn't kill his chances at ending up at the final. Hope his next outing is smoother.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I wonder what's going on with Nadeau. He didn't seem to be at the HP camp and he's no longer listed for the US Classic event. He's still listed for his grand prix assignments on the Skate Canada assignments page.

Seerek

This is going to be kind of controversial, but I think students need to transition away from Andrei Berezintsev as their main coach if they're going to find sustained success as a senior (both men and women). I've seen too many examples of his skaters not fulfilling their potential.

Seerek

I just feel like Berezintsev produces good juniors, but doesn't seem to have the formula to develop them into the all-around skaters that can readily compete in seniors (e.g. Gabby Daleman left in 2015).

This weekend, he had the younger pupil Guinzbourg (14, 4th) place higher than the older pupil Kovler (16, 6th) in JGP Chelyabinsk.

Sylvia

TBD
I wonder what's going on with Nadeau. He didn't seem to be at the HP camp and he's no longer listed for the US Classic event. He's still listed for his grand prix assignments on the Skate Canada assignments page.
Nadeau is listed for this weekend's Senior Men's event at Souvenir Georges-Éthier in Beauport QC (SP is Saturday 15:10 start time): https://resultats.patinage.qc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/11_OD.pdf
(I've posted event info/links in the "2019 Canadian Spring/Summer Competitions" thread in Kiss & Cry.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information